The Official Euro 2008 Thread

Galactus

Devourer of Worlds
Reaction score
World champions Italy were pitted against old foes France in the draw for the UEFA EURO 2008 finals on Sunday. The pair, who clashed in last year's FIFA World Cup™ Final and again in qualifying for next year's European championships, were joined by the Netherlands and Romania in a highly competitive Group C.

France head coach Raymond Domenech's face dropped when Italy's name was drawn, while Italy boss Roberto Donadoni sported a resigned smile.

The opening match in Basel sees Switzerland face Czech Republic. Three-time European champions Germany appeared to be dealt a favourable enough hand with competition debutants Poland and Austria, the joint-hosts, and Croatia in their pool.

Holders Greece, meanwhile, will come up against Spain, Russia and Sweden.

The competition, which will run between 7 and 29 June 2008, is being co-hosted in Austria and Switzerland with matches being staged in eight cities: Basle, Zurich, Berne and Geneva, Salzburg, Innsbruck, Klagenfurt, and Vienna's Ernst-Happel stadium, where the final will be played.

France and Italy have proved virtually inseperable recently, the pair's pathes crossing in Berlin last year in the FIFA World Cup Final, which the Azzurri won on penalties. They then met again in EURO 2008 qualifying, where the pair edged through their group at the main expense of Scotland.

Well, the US obviously isn't in this, so I was pulling for Ye Old England...

We all know how that turned out. :o:csad:

So now I don't really care.

Romania is doomed. Yes, we came first and Holland second, but I bet Holland seeks revenge, and as for France and Italy...well, what more can I say?

Damn group of death that we are in......and to play Italy again just makes it worse :(

Your main enemy will be Italy, of course. Romania and Holland have their own feud.:woot: :oldrazz:

Your main enemy will be Italy, of course. Romania and Holland have their own feud.:woot: :oldrazz:

My soon to be ex is Dutch as well so really it is tough all around.

I just hope we get to the elimination round.

I can only hope for the best. Nothing more:word:

We have a funny group with the Russians, the Greeks and the Swedish. What's with the qualifications repeating themselves? France and Italy.... Holland and Romania... Spain and Sweden... wtf?

We have a funny group with the Russians, the Greeks and the Swedish. What's with the qualifications repeating themselves? France and Italy.... Holland and Romania... Spain and Sweden... wtf?

The unluck of the draw....the odds were pretty low that the qualifyers would repeat but hey that is random chance for you.

Some heavy hitters will be out of the running before the quarters.

Damn group of death that we are in......and to play Italy again just makes it worse :(
That's some tough group our teams are in and we'd have to be rivals... again. :(

But anyway, I can't wait for it all to start. Forza Azzurri!!

That's some tough group our teams are in and we'd have to be rivals... again. :(

But anyway, I can't wait for it all to start. Forza Azzurri!!

You know for you I could almost wish for them to .....oh who am I kidding ALLEZ LA FRANCE and to hell with les Azzuri :mad:

Jesus Christ, we have to go thru France, Germany, and an always tough Romanian team??

The gods must be crazy.
The unluck of the draw....the odds were pretty low that the qualifyers would repeat but hey that is random chance for you.

Some heavy hitters will be out of the running before the quarters.
Italy and France were in the same group in the Qualifying rounds and now... again?! "unluck of the draw" indeed.

You know for you I could almost wish for them to .....oh who am I kidding ALLEZ LA FRANCE and to hell with les Azzuri :mad:
Hahaha! I hope this will be like the World Cup Finals, with the same results but minus the PKs. :up: :D

Jesus Christ, we have to go thru France, Germany, and an always tough Romanian team??
Rooting for Holland?

-------

PS. Complimenti Kaka', Pallone D'oro 2007!!! :heart: :up:

Yeah. When i lived in Belgium, I became a huge fan.
I like the Netherlands team. Mainly because of they contributed some of their best players to my team, AC Milan. Especially the Dutch Trio of Van Basten, Gullit and Rijkaard and now we have Clarence Seedorf. :up:

I like the Netherlands team. Mainly because of they contributed some of their best players to my team, AC Milan. Especially the Dutch Trio of Van Basten, Gullit and Rijkaard and now we have Clarence Seedorf. :up:

Seedorf is one of my favorite players. The way he plays is just amazing.

I'm probably rooting for Holland this campaign, since we just lost qualification at the last minute.

I've always liked Holland. Cruyff is my favourite player of all time.

Although, we will have to trash them in the World Cup qualifiers next year. :p

And no offence to Bella, I'm really hoping the Italians get gubbed. :D

Seedorf is one of my favorite players. The way he plays is just amazing.
Mine too and I agree. I have great respect for him and I hope he stays with Milan til he retires.

Mine too and I agree. I have great respect for him and I hope he stays with Milan til he retires.

Its more likely Milan will trade him while he is till worth something for younger players and he will finish out his career somewhere making an enourmous amount.

I'm probably rooting for Holland this campaign, since we just lost qualification at the last minute.

I've always liked Holland. Cruyff is my favourite player of all time.

Although, we will have to trash them in the World Cup qualifiers next year. :p

And no offence to Bella, I'm really hoping the Italians get gubbed. :D
And I hope Italy will rob you of that hope! :cmad: :p
Its more likely Milan will trade him while he is till worth something for younger players and he will finish out his career somewhere making an enourmous amount.
We've got one new striker whom I think will start playing next month when he turns 18. I think he'll be a good replacement for that stinker Gila (gawd how I can't stand him! :(). Milan do need younger players on the team though... the effects of old age are showing...

Match schedule:

1 07/06 Grp A Switzerland 18:00 Czech Republic Basel
2 07/06 Grp A Portugal 20:45 Turkey Geneva
3 08/06 Grp B Austria 18:00 Croatia Vienna
4 08/06 Grp B Germany 20:45 Poland Klagenfurt
5 09/06 Grp C Romania 18:00 France Zurich
6 09/06 Grp C Netherlands 20:45 Italy Berne
7 10/06 Grp D Spain 18:00 Russia Innsbruck
8 10/06 Grp D Greece 20:45 Sweden Salzburg
9 11/06 Grp A Czech Republic 18:00 Portugal Geneva
10 11/06 Grp A Switzerland 20:45 Turkey Basel
11 12/06 Grp B Croatia 18:00 Germany Klagenfurt