The Official "I Loved Raimi's Spider-Man' Thread - Part 1 of 99 Luft - Part 9

Status
Not open for further replies.
I remember the scene were Harry discovered his father's legacy had me so pumped for Spider-Man 3...
They really dropped the ball with that. That arc ended on an ambiguous note in SM2, but then they didn't play with that at all in SM3.

I though Franco's preformence was the best part of sm3

It was the plot line I looked forward to the most gearing up for SM3. And those are my favorite bits of the movie, Harry and Peter's confrontations. A few of my peers probably thought I was nuts anticipating that more than Venom.

If they had split 3 into two films, and had part 4 focusing on Venom we could've had a real winner.

They really dropped the ball with that. That arc ended on an ambiguous note in SM2, but then they didn't play with that at all in SM3.
Agreed. I wanted more interactions between Harry and his father. Having Norman's ghost constantly reminding him that Peter and MJ aren't his friends and don't care about him,only to have Harry finally overcome his father's legacy and hatred to help Peter defeat Sandman and Venom. But...that never happened and wasn't even explored much. That's my major complaint about the film only after the horrible treatment of Venom and the symbiote.

Definitely, it kinda was something that developed off-screen, among other things.

Agreed. I wanted more interactions between Harry and his father. Having Norman's ghost constantly reminding him that Peter and MJ aren't his friends and don't care about him,only to have Harry finally overcome his father's legacy and hatred to help Peter defeat Sandman and Venom. But...that never happened and wasn't even explored much. That's my major complaint about the film only after the horrible treatment of Venom and the symbiote.

Definitely, it kinda was something that developed off-screen, among other things.
I just feel like Harry was given a great Poker Face at the end f SM2, so you couldn't really tell what he decided. On one hand, he loved his father and wanted nothing more than to be accepted, but on the other hand, Peter was his best friend and the only person who was ever there for him through thick and thin. So there was a lot of mystery in terms of what he would do.

But then they show their cards way too soon in SM3, and it seems like its all for nothing because they have him jumping back and forth throughout the movie, and even though I cried the first time I saw it, his sacrifice at the end seems now like an attempt to make us feel bad for this character. And its a shame because I really liked Harry and Franco, but his character, which had the most potential of all three villains, just got lost in the shuffle.

Out of interest how did rami fans find the reboot? I loved it, my fav spidey film! Did it live up to the legacy of the first two?

I didnt like it...unneeded rehash of a movie we already saw

I thought it was ok. Some parts I liked,but it didn't have that same epic feel to it and that sense of fun,that the Raimi series had. Garfield was a better Spider-man that Maguire,but I thought Maguire was a more likeable Peter Parker. With Raimi's series,every movie I followed very closely,esp. part 3. I remember everyday I would check the boards here(or other sites)for new pics,info or trailers. But with this new series,I really don't seem to care as much.

I was extremely disappointed that Spider-Man 4 was cancelled in favor of a reboot. Now if SM4 was never announced, and the reboot was the initial idea, it wouldn't have bothered me, but that wasn't the case so I was very skeptical about the new movie. At first.

Then I read that Sam Raimi felt creatively exhausted (and remember at this point it was confirmed they were trying to make 4 and 5) apparently they couldn't really get a great follow up story off the ground. (And indeed it would've needed to be great, Raimi stated TDK raised the bar and he was taking notes). Raimi felt the most interesting stories to be told were to go back when Peter was younger and still in school.

That info came later, while TASM was pretty far into production, and it alleviated some of my concerns.

Then we got the first trailer, and I was pumped.

Then the movie actually came out.

...and I loved it!

It has some flaws but I think they are all pretty minor, and Spider-Man 1 has just as many flaws if you want to find them. But it gets so much right, things that I realize in retrospect I disagreed with in Raimi's films, but was too excited to notice because I was watching a live action Spidey.

I don't want to rank the films but I am confident when all is said and done, TASM2 will surpass the first Amazing, and SM2, and this franchise will be regarded as the superior films by all of us.

Well, first of all, I'm of the opinion that it was too soon for a reboot. A mere 5 years since Spider-man 3 and 10 years since the last (very successful) origin movie. You can give me all the money, sony, franchise nonsense you want... It was too soon. Sony should have fought for Spider-man 4 with Tobey and a new director (Raimi could have produced).

That's just how I feel and it's never going to change. I loved the Raimi series and the trilogy played a big part in my teenage years.

However, I went to The Amazing Spider-man with an open mind, hoping that it would feel fresh in an organic way, and shed some new light on the characters. I left the theatre feeling very little. I didn't hate it, I didn't love it... but I can't exactly say I liked it all that much either. It was just kind of there on the screen.

I'm still not a fan of Andrew Garfield's Peter Parker/Spider-man and the ''new'' origin had me rolling my eyes a lot.

It's not a bad film... but theres not much (apart from the always amazing Emma Stone) noteworthy about it.

I'm barely following the sequel at all.

I know. That really sucked. I also hated the cheap and convenient plot device of Harry "forgetting" everything for a chunk of the film.

Well, first of all, I'm of the opinion that it was too soon for a reboot. A mere 5 years since Spider-man 3 and 10 years since the last (very successful) origin movie. You can give me all the money, sony, franchise nonsense you want... It was too soon. Sony should have fought for Spider-man 4 with Tobey and a new director (Raimi could have produced).

That's just how I feel and it's never going to change. I loved the Raimi series and the trilogy played a big part in my teenage years.

However, I went to The Amazing Spider-man with an open mind, hoping that it would feel fresh in an organic way, and shed some new light on the characters. I left the theatre feeling very little. I didn't hate it, I didn't love it... but I can't exactly say I liked it all that much either. It was just kind of there on the screen.

I'm still not a fan of Andrew Garfield's Peter Parker/Spider-man and the ''new'' origin had me rolling my eyes a lot.

It's not a bad film... but theres not much (apart from the always amazing Emma Stone) noteworthy about it.

I'm kind of in the same place.

Amazing improved a few things - chiefly Spidey himself, his attitude and spidery movements, plus the practical stunts of webslinging and wallcrawling - but other than that, it more or less copied what Raimi did the first time anyway, but to much lesser effect.

It was an attempt to remake Spider-Man (2002) in the style of Batman Begins, and it came off as pretty damn average.

Eh I agree that the origin was unnesseaary but I judged it on it's own. I liked how it had inspiration from ultimate spider-man. The Rami series couldn't last past 4. I think they should have started off with him at the beginning of his career. The rami films (2 and 3 anyway) didn't feel like SM to me as it took too many libertys for me. I went in with low expectations so I was very surprised. Seeing that the first was an origin story but it equaled SM2 on RT I think that sequels will surpass it. However on this board I think SM2 will be the best SM movie for a long time, unless TASM2 does death of gwen stacy.

Out of interest how did rami fans find the reboot? I loved it, my fav spidey film! Did it live up to the legacy of the first two?

DIdn't like it at all. Won't be seeing the sequel. THat's all I care to say about it.

This pretty much sums up my feelings. I wasn't really planning on seeing ASM, but I ended up going with my friend because he had a coupon to see the movie for $3 in IMAX 3D if we went before noon, and since he was dealing with a recent breakup, I figured I'd be there for him.

I dind't hate the film, but I also didn't think it was better than the first two Raimi films. I can understand why the new generation of comic book fans (Post Dark Knight era) would like it, since it is definitely the "prettier" version with the current day special effects, but there was just something in the story that made me love the Raimi films, and that's why it still has a special place in my heart.

I know. That really sucked. I also hated the cheap and convenient plot device of Harry "forgetting" everything for a chunk of the film.
Yeah, just from a writing standpoint, it felt like such a copout. I know it happens in comics, but I always expect movies to try a be a little more believable and adapt to the real world. Meaning, I would have preferred that they find a real solution to the problem that fits the characters, rather than a convenient one that fits the writer.

I have no idea how to go about it, but I thought it could be an awesome project to edit the Raimi films, adding in some Spidey banter that Maguire recorded for the tie-in games. There's some fun lines in there, and that's something many fans felt was lacking in the films.

Before going into SM3, I had decided for myself that if Harry's character arc did not end with him sacrificing himself for Peter, then the entire movie would be a complete fail. I am glad that's what happened in the film.

... But I do agree that the things leading up to his sacrifice could have been done so much better. I feel like there was pressure to add as many action scenes as possible, so they put the carriage before the horse by having Harry use the GG serum at the beginning of the film. They really could have (and should have) made everything ambiguous until the very end with Harry helping Spider-Man. How great would that payoff have been?

Again, I'll repeat that I don't despise Spider-Man 3, but it certainly could have been a much better movie. I can still watch and enjoy it, but it definitely did not live up to its potential.

Before going into SM3, I had decided for myself that if Harry's character arc did not end with him sacrificing himself for Peter, then the entire movie would be a complete fail. I am glad that's what happened in the film.

... But I do agree that the things leading up to his sacrifice could have been done so much better. I feel like there was pressure to add as many action scenes as possible, so they put the carriage before the horse by having Harry use the GG serum at the beginning of the film. They really could have (and should have) made everything ambiguous until the very end with Harry helping Spider-Man. How great would that payoff have been?

Again, I'll repeat that I don't despise Spider-Man 3, but it certainly could have been a much better movie. I can still watch and enjoy it, but it definitely did not live up to its potential.
This pretty much sums up my view of the movie. While I don't think its one of the worst films of all times, it pales in comparison to the near perfection that SM2 was at the time. And I think because of this, most of the disappointment in SM3 comes from the hype leading up to its release. It looked to have a lot of potential, most of which it did not live up to at all.

It has alot of incredible scenes in it. Most horrible films has nothing at all redeeming about them,but Spider-man 3 has plenty going for it. Of course,it has alot of flaws as well,but I find it nowhere near being a bad film. And certainly not a horrible one either.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
paulsantiagoolg
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"