The Official "I Loved Raimi's Spider-Man' Thread - Part 1 of 99 Luft - - - Part 12

Status
Not open for further replies.
I actually watched Spider-Man 3 last night.

Despite all the flaws that everyone goes on about etc. I've grown to like it a lot more and had fun revisiting it.

Despite all the flaws that everyone goes on about etc. I've grown to like it a lot more and had fun revisiting it.

It's just overstuffed, not a bad film. As a viewer, if you can look beyond a few late, non-essential additions, it's still a solid installment to the franchise.

It's flawed for sure, but I still think it's an entertaining film with genuine moments of heart in it. Any problems I have with the movie are the result of Sony's meddling.

While far from being one of my favorites, I still like this movie a lot more than plenty of other comic book movies ... Even within the MCU.

From what I've seen a lot of people have calmed down about the film over the years. Of course,we've all had a decade to get over it. lol Spider-man 3 is flawed,but I've always found it entertaining with a lot of heart to it. I've thought that from the first day I saw it in 2007 and still to this day. I get why some don't like it,but I've always felt that it doesn't deserve the bashing it often gets.
By the way,it's been over a decade now since it came out?? Jeez. I just can't believe how long it's been.

Yeah, 10 year anniversary! I liked Spider-Man 3 from day 1. But that is mostly because I look at things from a non super critcal eye. I just look at story and character first and technical issues second. I'll admit I was never a MASSIVE fan of the comics, but I knew them here and there in games, comics, tv, etc. I just thought when effects and dramatic acting come together it is something that at least keeps you entertained. Sam Raimi's horror background is very evident in all 3 films, which gives it a thrill seeking feel.

It was overstuffed, but its good the way it attracts even the non comic fans & a way to explore new characters. I think if it was extended. If we had more time to explore all the characters, it would be more like 3 hours. But I wouldn't mind that at-all. At least the characters mean a lot to a lot of people. Exploring Gwen Stacy & Venom more could have been really exciting, considering their significance in comics & they were pushed aside a bit in the movie.

There were essentially 3 story-lines/films going on in one film. It was ambitious, but I see it as a sub-genre of comic book/superhero movies like for instance Batman v Superman was doing a similar thing.

having recently rewatched trilogy i remember what it was like tog et excited for spider-man films.spider-man 1 and 2 still fine films.spider-man 3 i still have problems with.

Watching Spider-Man 1 in 4k for the first time its also the first Spider-Man movie I have ever watched in 4k. Got the collection like a month ago of all the Spider-Man movies in 4k. I am only on the part gradulation part after goblin kills the board members. So far I would say the best looking part was when peter was trying to chase down his uncle's killer. That part looked amazing.

As much as I can watch SM 3, the under-lying feeling is one of always feeling IF Raimi had been allowed just to focus on Sandman and Goblin family arc without any Venom off-shoot, how much better it would have been. I still think it's an excellent trilogy, made with passion, and understanding and love of the character but just that nagging thought of what could have been if Raimi had not been forced into shoe-horned into inc. Venom against his wishes.

Last edited:
I've had a weird relationship with Spider-Man 3. The first time I saw the film I liked it quite a bit. Though as the years went on the film became more of a mess to me. The structure seemed off, and there were too many things going on at once.

However, now I've come back around on the film because I finally understood what Raimi was trying to do. The entire film revolves around the theme of Forgiveness. The way Spider-Man 3 uses the Symbiote storyline to tie the theme of forgiveness together is actually kind of clever imo. Correct me if I'm wrong, but in the comics the Symbiote is more of a performance ehancer metaphor. But in Spider-Man 3 the Symbiote is much more than that. It represents unforgiveness, hate, and revenge.

Having Peter learn to forgive his enemies is a great, and unconventional arc for his character. I've always appreciated that in all three films there's a valuable life lesson not only for Peter, but the audience as well.

I wanted to add one more thing about Spider-Man 3. There are a lot of great scenes in the film, but I just love the way it ends. Concluding the entire trilogy with a dance between Peter and MJ is perfect. At the time I was dissapointed that there wasn't a final swing, but I think the slow dance was the better way to go. It lets us know that MJ has forgiven Peter, and that they're gonna try to make their relationship work. It's a beautiful ending.

I wanted to add one more thing about Spider-Man 3. There are a lot of great scenes in the film, but I just love the way it ends. Concluding the entire trilogy with a dance between Peter and MJ is perfect. At the time I was dissapointed that there wasn't a final swing, but I think the slow dance was the better way to go. It lets us know that MJ has forgiven Peter, and that they're gonna try to make their relationship work. It's a beautiful ending.

...and that he's forgiven himself, acknowledging that the 'true' characteristics of Peter, those that May was concentrating on with the earlier 'island' story, hold firm.

...and that he's forgiven himself, acknowledging that the 'true' characteristics of Peter, those that May was concentrating on with the earlier 'island' story, hold firm.

Yep, and it accomplishes all of that without saying a word. I miss that kind of filmmaking in superhero films.

I prefer the first film to the sequel (as controversial as that is), to me, the first is one of the most perfect origin films ever translated to screen.

With today being JK Simmons birthday and arguably one of the best casting choices for a comic book film ever, some of his top moments in this YouTube video.

[YT]IgL8h_u2PHw[/YT]

Though it doesn't have my personal favorite moment. In Spider-Man 2 when Jameson offers $150 to Peter for his photo, Peter asks for $300. Jameson's response: "That's outrageous! Done." It's more in Simmons' delivery that sells it.

I should watch all the non-MCU Spider-Man movies again, more the original trilogy, to see if I'd still think Spider-Man 3 is the second best movie and why I think that way.
I'm not going to rant about how weak the connection between Venom and Sandman is, or how Sandman sudden change of heart after seeing Venom blown to smithereens makes no sense considering he was pounding Spider-Man to death earlier.

With today being JK Simmons birthday and arguably one of the best casting choices for a comic book film ever, some of his top moments in this YouTube video.

[YT]IgL8h_u2PHw[/YT]

Though it doesn't have my personal favorite moment. In Spider-Man 2 when Jameson offers $150 to Peter for his photo, Peter asks for $300. Jameson's response: "That's outrageous! Done." It's more in Simmons' delivery that sells it.

The greatest book-to-film translation of any character in history.

I should watch all the non-MCU Spider-Man movies again, more the original trilogy, to see if I'd still think Spider-Man 3 is the second best movie and why I think that way.
I'm not going to rant about how weak the connection between Venom and Sandman is, or how Sandman sudden change of heart after seeing Venom blown to smithereens makes no sense considering he was pounding Spider-Man to death earlier.

Could that sudden change of heart be because he found out that Spidey was connected to the guy he murdered? Up until that point he didn't know that Peter Parker was under the mask.

Could that sudden change of heart be because he found out that Spidey was connected to the guy he murdered? Up until that point he didn't know that Peter Parker was under the mask.
Still, it's awkward to have "I didn't want anybody to die" coming after
Venom: "Let's kill Spider-Man"
Sandman: "Alright"
And then Sandman pounding Spider-Man consecutive fatal blows.

Still, it's awkward to have "I didn't want anybody to die" coming after
Venom: "Let's kill Spider-Man"
Sandman: "Alright"
And then Sandman pounding Spider-Man consecutive fatal blows.

When did he say that? To be honest I'm not a huge fan of that team up, but his turn was one of the more emotionally satisfying scenes in the film.

I was watching the special features on the Spider-Man 2 DVD.

It was funny when Willem Dafoe acted out a few of Doc Ock's lines. Had never seen that before.

When did he say that? To be honest I'm not a huge fan of that team up, but his turn was one of the more emotionally satisfying scenes in the film.

At the end of the scene where Venom teams up with him, Venom says "interested?" and he says "yeah."

At the end of the scene where Venom teams up with him, Venom says "interested?" and he says "yeah."
Sorry, I wasn't referring to that moment. When did he say he didn't mean for anyone to die?

He says that when Peter runs toward where Harry is lying, then they have the conversation about his Uncle. He says it when they start talking.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"