• We experienced a brief downtime due to a Xenforo server configuration update. This was an attempt to limit bot traffic. They have rolled back and the site is now operating normally. Apologies for the inconvinience.

The Official Metal Gear Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Where does this reverence for MGS4's ending come from? I'll never understand. The ending was terrrrible. How did they go from the original ending, with Snake killing himself, to the sappy, saccharine bull**** we got in the final game? Snake gets one last battle with Ocelot and a final confrontation with Big Boss. Also, he's going to go live on some island and spend the rest of his days in peace. Oh, and Meryl forgives her father! And she and Johhny are getting married! Yay! Sunny found a friend! Yay! Raiden got his wife back! Yaaay! AND HE ALSO HAS A SURPRISE SON!! YAAAY!!! :whatever: Please.

I hate that ending so much that I choose to think that everything that happened after Snake planted the virus and listened to Naomi's message are just his final dying thoughts; How he hopes everything works out.

Someone's a Debbie Downer. ;)

I think MGRR looks cool. The subtitle is terrible, but that's okay. I think that the game in and of itself looks like an absolute blast and I look forward to playing it.

Yea I disagree with that, I loved MGS4's ending. But watched this new trailer, I will be buying this, even though it is an offshoot of the original games, I love Metal Gear. Has there been any word of a release date? Or is that still in the dark?

Yea I disagree with that, I loved MGS4's ending. But watched this new trailer, I will be buying this, even though it is an offshoot of the original games, I love Metal Gear. Has there been any word of a release date? Or is that still in the dark?
IA. Not every single series needs to go on indefinetly. I thought MGS4 did a good job of tying up loose ends and wrapping up the entire story arc of the series. It should have ended with that. I dont have a problem with prequels and filling in gaps (as Rising was originally intended to do), but Im not a fan of doing a post-MGS4 game

I really don't like the setting. At all. But, so far, it seems to be shaping up rather, well differently. I hope it's like MGS4 where you can sneak or run out all swords blazing.

there is going to be very little focus on stealth, if any at all

IA. Not every single series needs to go on indefinetly. I thought MGS4 did a good job of tying up loose ends and wrapping up the entire story arc of the series. It should have ended with that. I dont have a problem with prequels and filling in gaps (as Rising was originally intended to do), but Im not a fan of doing a post-MGS4 game

Why though? I really don't understand. Prequels are just treading the same old territory. There's nothing new or interesting or compelling about that. I would much, much rather them forge new ground than revisit the same old **** again and again. And in this case they're thankfully doing just that, so you won't see me complaining.

Just watched the trailer, and I liked.
For once, I'm looking forward a Metal Gear game

I found it interesting that they dropped the "Solid" from the name, and even created a new ****ing word. Revengenace..?

The game doesn't look anything like a Metal Gear Solid game, which was another interesting thing. Kojima's quote from a while back about longtime MGS fans might not like Rising makes more sense now, after watching that trailer. Before, it kinda did look stealth would be an option. Now, it looks like with as Tank-like as Raiden is, wouldn't make sense. The sword fighting looks like it'd be a ton of fun. Going crazy with what looks like a hundred slices and seeing the game still give you the result of cutting up you're enemies looks like it'd be damn satisfying. The game looks like madness, which is good for me.

The game also looks like it COULD have changed in timeline, maybe. I know it was originally supposed to take place between MGS2 and MGS4...which might have made it into a one-off type of game. But, if they go post-MGS4 then they could build Raiden his own self-contained trilogy.

Why though? I really don't understand. Prequels are just treading the same old territory. There's nothing new or interesting or compelling about that. I would much, much rather them forge new ground than revisit the same old **** again and again. And in this case they're thankfully doing just that, so you won't see me complaining.
and Id rather they leave it alone and create a new IP. The original concept of Risnig BTW, wasnt about revisiting the same old sh-t. There's a gap in Raiden's saga thats unaccounted for and there was ample oppurtunity to forge a story there and experience we havent been exposed to from before

The game also looks like it COULD have changed in timeline, maybe. I know it was originally supposed to take place between MGS2 and MGS4...which might have made it into a one-off type of game. But, if they go post-MGS4 then they could build Raiden his own self-contained trilogy.
Not could have...it has. That was announced yesterday that its a post-MGS4 game

Screw a new ip. Raiden isn't in a new ip. I want to play as Raiden.

First trailer showed us some innovative gameplay and it felt like it belonged in the Metal Gear universe. But this is a hack & slash rehash.

Where does this reverence for MGS4's ending come from? I'll never understand. The ending was terrrrible. How did they go from the original ending, with Snake killing himself, to the sappy, saccharine bull**** we got in the final game? Snake gets one last battle with Ocelot and a final confrontation with Big Boss. Also, he's going to go live on some island and spend the rest of his days in peace. Oh, and Meryl forgives her father! And she and Johhny are getting married! Yay! Sunny found a friend! Yay! Raiden got his wife back! Yaaay! AND HE ALSO HAS A SURPRISE SON!! YAAAY!!! :whatever: Please.

I hate that ending so much that I choose to think that everything that happened after Snake planted the virus and listened to Naomi's message are just his final dying thoughts; How he hopes everything works out.

You clearly misunderstood the purpose of the games story. All the Snakes were monsters and deserved to live and die as monsters in the dark, with no recognition. Snake was told by Big Boss to live as a man, because he had inspired people and given up his own life in service to helping others, even when he was being betrayed by everyone around him. Raiden was an artificial monster, he was still a human at heart and deserved his happy ending, as did Sunny, Meryl, Campbell and Otacon. Snake was forcibly turned into a human by these people and like it or not, he got some happiness from it before he died.

The only real way I can accept a game after MGS4 is if it directly relates to it, and the background from Raiden in hospital to now is thoroughly detailed. Such as:

When did Snake die?
What happened to the world?
Where is Otacon and Sunny?
Rose and Little Jack?
Campbell?

And most importantly:

Why the hell is Raiden a cyborg ninja again?

First trailer showed us some innovative gameplay and it felt like it belonged in the Metal Gear universe. But this is a hack & slash rehash.

Seriously? All they showed you in the first gameplay Trailer, was that you can hack **** apart. You still do this here and it looks way more awesome.

You clearly misunderstood the purpose of the games story. All the Snakes were monsters and deserved to live and die as monsters in the dark, with no recognition. Snake was told by Big Boss to live as a man, because he had inspired people and given up his own life in service to helping others, even when he was being betrayed by everyone around him. Raiden was an artificial monster, he was still a human at heart and deserved his happy ending, as did Sunny, Meryl, Campbell and Otacon. Snake was forcibly turned into a human by these people and like it or not, he got some happiness from it before he died.

The only real way I can accept a game after MGS4 is if it directly relates to it, and the background from Raiden in hospital to now is thoroughly detailed. Such as:

When did Snake die?
What happened to the world?
Where is Otacon and Sunny?
Rose and Little Jack?
Campbell?

And most importantly:

Why the hell is Raiden a cyborg ninja again?

Yeah, I want to see that.

They plan on answering all those questions in the upcoming week with an in depth background video letting us know about all the reasons for the changes from the initial Rising concept and give us more insight into the current story.

And that is when I will make final judgement in the concept of the game. But as of right now, I'm still kinda wishing it was the original Rising concept, with Zan-Datsu as well as running out with a katana in your teeth and lightning pouring off your body. Oh and I prefer the old logo :o

Last edited:
I'm just really looking forward to see Jack the Ripper. Much more interesting than a guy trying to suppress his memories and coming off as some rookie, even though he actually isn't one. That was just all kinds of lame.

Saw the trailer last night and wasn't really impressed waiting for like the trailer that shows me the story

I am really intrigued to see what causes Raiden to have a mental breakdown. Could it be an old friend from Liberia?

In the KP podcast, they seemed to imply that Raiden has or develops split personalities.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"