The Official Moon Knight Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Slott didn't say he had a problem with the supernatural element. He said, and I'm inclined to agree with him, that it was better left ambiguous so that it wasn't known exactly HOW MUCH was due to the lore of Khonshu and how much was Spector being nuts... it worked either way AND it was clever. Moensch did a great job with that.

Also, Moon Knight's been written to have some defence to psychics... while I wasn't a huge fan of that at the time and the reasoning behind it, it IS how he's written.

By leaving the Khonshu/insanity thing ambiguous you have the best of both worlds.

Personally, I wasn't a big fan of Hurwitz's run and would have been interested to see what Huston could have done with more time to more naturally transition Spector back from "a**hole" to decent enough nutbag. It was part of the storyline for him to be that character and while it made him extremely unlikeable you can't just flick that on or off without a decent reason or some quality character development... but with sales dwindling due to where the character was it became clear that Marvel wanted to salvage the character and take him back to hero NOW. Hurwitz was a means to an end in my opinion.

It is a good question about whether it could be too soon for a hiatus during this event, I was thinking they could be using the event to transition to a new writing crew... It would make sense to bring in a new writer who seems to understand and love the character following an event where that character plays a major part... use the event to re-invigorate interest in the character and then bring in that writer.

I've liked the Hurwitz run so far. Husten had his moments, but he got too grim, too dark and too decompressed by the end. I am liking how Hurwitz balances the struggle between Moon Knight wanting to go over the edge vs. being a straight super-hero again. I also like the "evil Jiminy Cricket" angle of Khonshu - even if that is, of course a detail Husten's run made infamous.

Frankly, when Tigra was part of the whole AVENGERS RESISTANCE thing in AVENGERS: THE INITIATIVE, part of me was curious what it would have been like if Moon Knight were there, since the two have dated and often share the same POV when it comes to dealing with villains (both backed Mockingbird and not Hawkeye when it was revealed she let Phantom Rider, who'd raped her, fall to his death). I've thought with Moon Knight no longer killing all his enemies or carving crescent moon's into their foreheads, now wouldn't be a bad time to put him on a team. No better place than Brubaker's Secret Avengers.

It seems the last 4 issues of VENGEANCE OF THE MOON KNIGHT will comprise of team-up stories (the 2 recent ones with Deadpool and the next 2 with Spider-Man), which I suppose may be enjoyable, but I would have preferred something more substantial. But, we'll see how it goes, and what Hurwitz does with his SHADOWLAND stuff. To be fair, Moon Knight has teamed up with Spider-Man many times in the past, and Spidey has popped up in this volume a few times.

I don't know... Hurwitz's time on VoftheMK to me has just seemed like a stopgap period to fill up space and try some various things which weren't particularly consistent with the character and some massive in-joking about how he's Marvel's Batman...

I think Shadowland may be his real oppportunity to come up with something for the character though... to be honest, I'd very much like to see the writing stuff get changed and bring in someone who has a bit better understanding of the character.

Vengeance of the Moon Knight #10 preview!

votmk10preview1.jpg

votmk10preview4.jpg

More pages at the link.

I have a feeling #9 and 10 will be really enhanced by Juan Jose Ryp's art.It is fantastic.

Without giving too much away, Secret Avengers #1 sort of plays up the idea that out of the team, Moon Knight and Ant-Man/Eric O'Grady are the two "dark horses", so it make sense to see them interact in VOTMK #10.

And the art does look awesome.

Lone Wolf I got to thank you for all the awesome work your doing posting up all these previews.You make me more excited for the book!

The artwork is pretty amazing. As for the story, it seems to be similar to an issue of MARVEL TEAM UP, where Spider-Man and Moon Knight take on the Sandman. In the 2006 MTU series, they took on Ringmaster together, and at least one issue in the 1980's, they took on White Dragon (a D-List Spidey foe, at best). Of course that's not counting other guest appearances in each other's books...

"Double Sized", eh? If it's solicited as having 40 pages, then it likely has about 30-35 without ads. Still, that's not too bad for $4. Better than paying that price for the regular 22 pages, "just because".

Kind of a shame Moon Knight really has few villains left, he always has to help take care of someone else's. But, looks fun. It is nice to see a Moon Knight series that actually isn't afraid to go for a laugh or two (that isn't dark humor).

Spider-man actually is probably the one hero Moon Knight has interacted the most with.Moon Knight guest starred in the Peter Parker the Spectacular Spider-man in the mid 20's to fight Cyclone(I need to track these issues down.).This was even before Moon Knight's first ongoing by Moench.Moon Knight also appeared in Amazing Spider-man #220(Own it) as Moon Knight infiltrated a gang to help Spidey take it out.The Marvel Team issue with White Dragon is #144.(own this as well.:woot:)Also in the mid 360's of Amazing Spider-man Moon Knight's old side kick who actually resurfaced recently in Huston's second arc(The son of one of Moon Knight's old enemies Midnight Man.)Moon Knight guest starred in that six issue arc with a bunch of other heroes.Wow To think this was all off the top of my head.:o

Yeah. Hurwitz seems aware of this as Spider-Man's showed up at least twice before now. Street heroes in New York always run into each other. But, the personality contrast is usually what does it. Although Specter's managing some banter in that preview against Spidey for once.

The art, though, is pretty damn good. Probably the best on the title since Opena left.

White Dragon, although he's one of Spider-Man's left-over villains, may not have been such a bad one to shift over to someone like Moon Knight; too bad he was offed in DARK REIGN: MR. NEGATIVE. Guy had about 4 appearances within 35 years. Never even got a name. :p

Lone Wolf I got to thank you for all the awesome work your doing posting up all these previews.You make me more excited for the book!
Gotta keep the MK ship afloat! :up:

Seriously though, seeing those previews makes me pissed it's going on hiatus. :csad:

I'm cursed man.I loved Immortal Iron Fist,Ghost Rider,Moon Knight and Merc with a Mouth was my favorite Deadpool book.:csad:

Issue #9 was...fun. Nothing too noteworthy though. I liked Ryp's art but I'm questioning where the book can go from here and beyond. With MK as an Avenger again, I want to see less team-ups and more character focus. Interestingly enough we should be getting that in the Shadowland: MK mini.

I dropped Moon Knight when the recent series ended with issue #30. I liked the tone and writing, but the book spent 30 issues going absolutely no where and each arc ended more anti-climatically than the last. It was a good call and I haven't looked back.

However, the new previews look pretty good. Is the new series worth picking up? Even for someone who feels a little burned from the last one?

#9 was fun and the art was favorite of this entire volume but yea we didn't get much character development except maybe a little towards the end.Anyways I haven't read Spidey since OMD.Can anyone tell me when Sandman got a daughter in the comics?

Repost of my review:

Dread said:
VENGEANCE OF THE MOON KNIGHT #9: Not a dead book walking but a "due for hiatus" book walking in the Orwellian speak that is Marvel's editorial strategy. After issue ten, this book vanishes during SHADOWLAND and if it does return, it likely will with a fresh #1. Marvel has actually been pretty loyal to Moon Knight, as he's been in his own series since 2006, but given that sales on this have slipped below 20k an issue and that he'll be featured in SECRET AVENGERS, I wouldn't be surprised if the gap between the end of this volume and the start of the next is longer than 3 months (which was the time between MOON KNIGHT #30 and VENGEANCE OF THE MOON KNIGHT #1).

This is a 36 page issue for $3.99, Marvel's favorite price.
Gregg Hurwitz writes a tale in which Moon Knight literally swings into Spider-Man and helps him take on the Sandman. That is really all there is to the plot. It is very similar to what might have passed for a random issue of MARVEL TEAM UP, only with perhaps simpler. Spider-Man has made cameos in earlier issues of Hurwitz' run, and has often teamed with Moon Knight in each other's series or Marvel Team Up (even the 2006 version by Robert Kirkman), so I suppose it feels less random than Deadpool did. Aside for a few quips by Spidey, though, there's little mention of their differing styles or philosophies and full focus on the task at hand. Which is either flat or professional of them. The Avengers can't go 5 seconds without bickering like 12 year old girls no matter what the crisis according to Bendis, but at least here Moonie and Spidey (and Frenchie) focus on beating Sandman.

Sandman himself sprouts a subplot that seems directly ripped from "SPIDER-MAN 3", which I didn't need and I don't think helps him any. Considering an issue in the past seemed similar to "BATMAN BEGINS" (when a "knight" takes on Scarecrow and an army of mental ward escapees), this may not help make Hurwitz stand out. Still, what is interesting about Hurwitz's take on MOON KNIGHT is he isn't afraid of comedy. The meeting of the heroes is pure absurd slapstick and Frenchie himself is the focus in a few running gags of the issue. Only the last six pages, which seek to tie into SECRET AVENGERS, try to delve into typical dark hero fare for Moonie (where he narrates about how much he'd like to maul a spray-paint vandal and especially a drug dealer; usual stuff). Going from Sandman to low level drug dealers in one day; Moon Knight's sure diversified his patrols lately.

Honestly the main draw of the issue is the artwork by Juan Jose Ryp and Andres Mossa. The pencils, inks, and colors are stunning, especially for Moon Knight's armored look. The story changes settings a few times and part of me thinks that was deliberate to cater to the artist(s) on this one. It's not the most original story in the world, but it sure looked pretty.

Part of me wishes Hurwitz had figured out some other kind of story or stories to tell with Moon Knight besides random team-up tales for these last four issues, but they're entertaining reads at least that do no harm to the character. He's gotten sane enough to be an Avenger again, which I suppose is the major thing. Moon Knight as a franchise still has a lot of hurdles to overcome in order for it to finally escape the shadow of Daredevil or Batman, but this won't be the run to fix them. It's instead been the run to set things back to a stable status quo so that things can be salvaged and perhaps one day improved upon, like Iron Fist's world was. Which can seem thankless, much as, say, McDuffie's run on FANTASTIC FOUR (or even how some may see Gillen's run on THOR), but it is something I appreciate.

One more issue to go.

104shadowlandmoonknight.jpg

SHADOWLAND: MOON KNIGHT #2 (of 3)
Written by GREGG HURWITZ
Pencils by BONG DAZO
Cover by FRANCESCO MATTINA
Daredevil, the former defender of Hell’s Kitchen turned leader of the ninja death cult known as the Hand, has summoned the villainous Profile to take Moon Knight out of the picture for good. And to do it, the Profile enlists the aid of a mysterious figure, a second avatar of Khonshu! Has Khonshu finally decided to replace Moon Knight? And if so, what hope does Moon Knight have of saving Daredevil and himself from the darkness of Shadowland?
32 PGS./Parental Advisory …$3.99

To think we were talking about that same idea about a page or so back.

And that sounds fun. Have me a few MK trades I'm looking forward to getting.

Well, the sales on VOTMK are low - lower than Marvel usually accepts from ongoing series set in mainstream Marvel continuity. A relaunch is inevitable. Considering that both DOCTOR VOODOO and SWORD were axed by issue five, it is probably amazing that we are getting a 10th issue. At least Hurwitz will get to roughly continue where he was going in the SHADOWLAND mini, which is intended to boost sales and interest. Whether retailers will be fooled is another matter. They've become more conservative with ordering tie ins to crossovers; many NEW MUTANTS issues of the MESSIAH COMPLEX story have had to be reprinted because of that.

^ Yeah, I'm grateful for the Shadowland mini and what Hurwitz has planned sounds really interesting - begging the question if MK will go over the edge again or if he'll continue on his path to being a hero of redemption. I do wonder how all the mini's will do though, sales terms. There's a lot of 'em.

BTW...I was watching a really good documentary on the moon the other night on one of the history channels. Fascinating stuff. If it weren't for the moon, A LOT of things wouldn't be able to happen. So I want MK to come straight out in badass fashion with the line "Yeah, I own the ****ing night." :awesome:

Also, each year the moon is moving away from us by 1.2 inches and it'll eventually disappear into orbit. While that is years away, the Moon Knight of the future is screwed. :o

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"