The Official Thor News and Set Pics Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

louiebling$

Just Chucking with you
Reaction score
Well we will be needing a News thread and set pics thread when they come.

Kevin Feige Talks Donald Blake and Thor

Source: http://www.slashfilm.com/2009/06/05...ica-and-thor-will-be-set-on-modern-era-earth/

Thor: Donald Blake won’t appear, but the film will take place more on contemporary Earth than Viking times.This makes me more interested in the project, since I’m not usually entertained in fantasy sword and sand type films. Feige describes the movie as “very much a Marvel superhero movie” but admits that “the movie audience it’s going to expand that definition more and more.” On casting Chris Hemsworth as Thor, Feig“It was like, ‘There’s no question that this is our guy.

Well for all those Wanting that Hemsworth CONFIRMATION... there you go :cwink:

I hope Feige is confirmation enough for some. I'm sure people will still await a press release from marvel that will never come, though.

http://movieblog.ugo.com/movies/tho...ngers-details-from-marvel-studios-kevin-feige
Q: Recently it's been announced that more of the Thor story will take place on Earth. Is it a contemporary earth or Viking times?

Feige: It'll be contemporary.

Q: How are you going to deal with the fish out of water aspect of it? Are you concerned at all about Thor dealing with the wacky modern day aspects of his life, being on a cell phone or something like that?

Feige: I am concerned about that and that's why we're not going to do that. We always think about, not in terms of “Thor,” but if you talk about fish out of water; if a character is goofy at any time he'll be goofy. If you bring in an idiot from the past he's going to come into the future and go [holding a recorder up to his face] “What is this? Hello?” That stuff is not funny and it's overdone. If Indiana Jones came to the future he's going to be cool. He's not going to be an idiot bumbling with things. There might be some fun humor out of him just getting something wrong for a minute, but he's going to play it cool and just not come off like an idiot. I think that Thor…if you look at [Jack] Kirby's Asgard, if you look at Walt Simonson's Asgard; they are technologically superior to us by far. They're not going to come and be flummoxed by much on Earth. There might be cultural differences that could be amusing or endearing, but he's not going to be talking to a lamppost for five minutes.

Q: Is Donald Blake going to be in the story and is he still going to be handicapped?

Feige: No.

Q: Will it still be recognizable as a what we understand to be a superhero movie or is it going to be closer to fantasy?

Feige: I think it's going to be very much a Marvel superhero movie, but I think to the movie audience it's going to expand that definition more and more. Again, we've got a forty four year old guy who's going to be a superhero in a movie and he puts on an armored suit. That didn't necessarily mean superhero to people. In that same way, I think, someone who's got superpowers coming to Earth and dealing with other character from his realm will come off very much as a big ass superhero movie. But it's going to expand that definition, I hope, in a way.

Q: Can you talk about the casting of Chris Hemsworth and what it was ultimately about this guy after looking at all these other actors?

Feige: You couldn't take your eyes off of him. When he did his auditioned he worked for it. He put himself on tape. He put himself on tape again and then did it again and then came in and sat with Branagh and then worked again with Branagh and then ultimately did a very late in the process screen test and there was no question. It was very much like going back to 1999 when Dougray Scott got injured on Mission Impossible 2 and we had to go back to the videotapes and suddenly we saw Hugh Jackman who came in and did a screen test and it was like, “There's no question that this is our guy.” In this case it was actually even cleaner with Chris because with Hugh he was like two feet taller than the character was supposed to be which was nerve racking, but Chris is six four and looks exactly Thor.

Q: Can you address some of the Thor casting rumors: Brian Blessed as Odin and Natalie Portman as the love interest?

Feige: Well, there's truth that we think that Natalie would be great for the love interest. There's truth in that Ken has had a long relationship with Brian Blessed. In terms of those particular roles, not necessarily.

Q: What character is the love interest? Is it Jane Foster?

Feige: If you had to guess who the human love interest would be in a Thor movie that's what it'll be. But the only things that are official are Chris and Tom [Hiddleston] and Tom Hiddleston's another one who we were very impressed with. He's almost like a young Ian McKellen in terms of being a great, great actor who's very good looking. He did indeed do a screen test for Thor and blew us away with his acting. Ken had worked with him on a number of things and he's just got that great sense. He was good as Thor. We were like, “Well, he's a little skinny,” and in he two weeks he really bulked out. It was very impressive, but we were just like, “There's something a little off about him” - but in a great way, a very Loki way. I think our burden with Loki is that I want….I think that Magneto is the best super villain in our movies to date. I think he's one of the best super villains in comics. I think one of the best super villains in comics is Dr Doom. I don't necessarily think that you saw that in the movies, unfortunately, what makes Dr Doom a great super villain. So that leaves us [with] Loki. Justin Hammer, Ivan (Whiplash) who Mickey Rourke plays, Obadiah Stane; all of these of course are good. Tim Roth as Abomination I loved. But in terms of a super villain that can carry over multiple franchises and really still be your movie super villain that you love to hate, Loki is going to be our guy.

Q: Is Donald Blake going to be in the story and is he still going to be handicapped?
Feige: No.

YES! :woot:

*does the victory dance*

Well, I thought Thor would be done in a modern realistic way, separate from the comic world. This is the direction these films are taking. 60's origin & situation wont work in today's society... this is 2010 basically. As I have said in Caps thread, it may be sacrilegist, but Caps & his villains origins need for the most part, stay away from WWII... there are other ways, or in this case, other modern wars that can be use to give birth to Caps & his villains origins & motivations. I just can't imagine Red Skull still pist, with the same motivations toward Cap after 70 years. I'm just saying....

However, what really caught my eye in the movieblog Q&A, was the discussion involving LOKI. IMO, it appear Feige was stealthy implying LOKI crossing over to maybe the Avengers film, maybe even quick cameos or name dropping in films like IM2, CA:1stAv, and/or IH2 if there is one... maybe in reference to the Mandarin "Ten Rings Saga", or controlling Hulk, etc. The LOKI comment stuck out to me... that's all I'm saying.

YES! :woot:

*does the victory dance*

I dunno, I kinda like the Donald Blake element of the character. And it's also a shame to see the fantasy setting of the first draft gone. But other than that, all good stuff here.

For Lobo, I'd say Feige is confirmation enough. I don't need a press release from Marvel. All I wanted was someone officially involved with the project to say he's in, rather than a "Chris Hemsworth close to inking a deal" getting the Chinese whispers effect and turning into "he's already confirmed for Thor" through third-party sources. I love the enthusiasm Feige seems to have for Hemsworth, and the Jackman comparison is encouraging.

I'm also really excited about the part where he talks about Hiddleston, and Loki's role in this film and beyond. It's cool they see Loki as their franchise villain.

I dunno, I kinda like the Donald Blake element of the character. And it's also a shame to see the fantasy setting of the first draft gone. But other than that, all good stuff here.
I don't think the fantasy setting is gone, just that the viking part (which I wasn't crazy about) got replaced with modern Earth.
I hope the final result will end up better than the "Masters of the Universe" movie.

Did they take down the interview? Wheneve I click the link it takes me to the main page of the blog and the latest entry there is the Land of the Lost review.

I can't believe they're cutting the lamppost scene. Dammit!

Did they take down the interview? Wheneve I click the link it takes me to the main page of the blog and the latest entry there is the Land of the Lost review.
They took it down because it was published before the agreed date and time.
It should appear later on several websites.
Superhero Hype included.

Well, I thought Thor would be done in a modern realistic way, separate from the comic world. This is the direction these films are taking. 60's origin & situation wont work in today's society... this is 2010 basically. As I have said in Caps thread, it may be sacrilegist, but Caps & his villains origins need for the most part, stay away from WWII... there are other ways, or in this case, other modern wars that can be use to give birth to Caps & his villains origins & motivations. I just can't imagine Red Skull still pist, with the same motivations toward Cap after 70 years. I'm just saying....

However, what really caught my eye in the movieblog Q&A, was the discussion involving LOKI. IMO, it appear Feige was stealthy implying LOKI crossing over to maybe the Avengers film, maybe even quick cameos or name dropping in films like IM2, CA:1stAv, and/or IH2 if there is one... maybe in reference to the Mandarin "Ten Rings Saga", or controlling Hulk, etc. The LOKI comment stuck out to me... that's all I'm saying.

I'm not sure I follow. Thor's story is essentially him being arrogant, shortsighted ect and then being banished to earth by his Father for it. What would be so hard to fit? Same goes for Cap, he is a man out of time. First part of his movie deals with WW2 and where he came from, then we have him being discovered and released from suspended animation in our time. Whats hard to manage?

Also, if Donald Blake won't appear in this film whats the point of introducing Jane Foster? Sif is Thor's love interest, and Natalie Portan simply isn't suited for that role.

I'm not arguing against Thor's banishment, I'm refering to him traveling the timeline(vikings). It's not necessary. Redemption can occur in the modern.

Last edited:
Hey Thor experts, is this new information good or bad news?

I never cared for Don Blake... and I always thought that the whole dynamics between him and Thor could be very confusing for the GA. They wouldn't know if Thor and Blake share the same body, same conscience, if they are two separate entities, that kind of stuff.

And while I think Don Blake was, at some point, necessary to teach Thor a humility lesson, after Thor gains his memories back, Don becomes just another superhero cliché, that obligatory weakness/secret identity.

Plus, he would take away a lot of Thor's screen time. :woot:

But don't get me wrong, I don't hate the guy. I just think that Thor doesn't need him.

Last edited:
I don't think the fantasy setting is gone, just that the viking part (which I wasn't crazy about) got replaced with modern Earth.
I hope the final result will end up better than the "Masters of the Universe" movie.

Yeah, I think they will only replace his banishment in viking-era Earth with a banishment in modern times Earth.

And I'm also worried about the "Masters of the Universe" effect. Although in that movie they never showed Eternia properly, and it seems that in the Thor movie they will show Asgard, in the first act at least (and hopefully in the third as well).

I for one am glad that there's no Blake. The whole "Shazam!" or "By the Powers of Gray Skull" elements of Thor were always very lame for my tastes. Let Thor be Thor and that's all like in The Ultimates.

What a great interview that was. I imagine we will be flooded with such interviews very soon since the gag order is to be lifted on all of the movie websites today(?) (or soon thereafter).

It did appear to me that Feige was hinting at Loki in The Avengers as well. I think he would be the most logical villain to face off against them. He was their first true villain in both the original Avengers and The Ultimates. Not to mention a team up of Red Skull and Loki would be a really great plotline (and very logical considering Nazi ideology).

I'm also glad to see that they will avoid the "fish out of water" jokes. I'd like them to keep the tone of this film rather serious. Thor doesn't strike me as particularly humorous unlike Iron Man.

I am a little upset that more of the film will not take place in Asgard. I would have liked a more LOTR type fantasy movie film, that ends up in our world. It just would have been a nice change of pace for a superhero film.

not a big Thor fan but I definitley can't wait to see what they do with this movie.

What a great interview that was. I imagine we will be flooded with such interviews very soon since the gag order is to be lifted on all of the movie websites today(?) (or soon thereafter).
It'll all be the same interview, it was a roundtable ;)

It'll all be the same interview, it was a roundtable ;)

There are still some websites that have it up, so check around. I've always felt that the whole "Embargo" tactic was: A) Stupid and B) Pointless because there are ALWAYS sites that leak the info. It's already out and now the only sites that are missing out are the ones who actually followed the completely unnecessary, stupid, and pointless "embargo"!

Just release the info already!

I am a little upset that more of the film will not take place in Asgard. I would have liked a more LOTR type fantasy movie film, that ends up in our world. It just would have been a nice change of pace for a superhero film.

Same here. Roh well

There are still some websites that have it up, so check around. I've always felt that the whole "Embargo" tactic was: A) Stupid and B) Pointless because there are ALWAYS sites that leak the info. It's already out and now the only sites that are missing out are the ones who actually followed the completely unnecessary, stupid, and pointless "embargo"!
Yeah, well now Marvel knows who to invite and who not to invite to the Thor set ;)

Leaking info that's embargoed = No longer on the studio's list of web journos to invite

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"