The Rings of Power Season 1 Episode 3 "Adar"

Kane52630

T-800 User
Reaction score
OvvfST7.jpg

looks like Arandir is fighting Slim Shady (that blond necromancer/warlock) in the pit

Wow, best trailer yet aside from maybe the SDCC one.

I am pretty excited for some Numenor stuff, especially to hear McCreary's awesome theme.

Love hearing some homage in the beginning dialogue to the Durin concept. I know it annoys some to no end that the show isn't (and in some ways can't) collating everything Tolkien wrote about everything into the most Tolkien accurate rendition it can, and I understand how frustrating that can be for people who care deeply about his work. I am one who cares like that but I guess I care in a different way when it comes to adaptations.

The show's approach is very similar to Jackson's but is operating in even more of a gray area because Jackson had full texts that were pretty concrete whereas this show is working with bits and pieces and trying to connect them to a lot of writing that they don't have rights to, a lot of that material itself indefinite and occasionally even inconsistent because it was an endless work-in-progress for Tolkien.

All that to say, any Tolkien fan has a right to be mad that this show is not sticking to the letter of what Tolkien wrote as best it can. But like I was with Peter Jackson's films, I do personally get so much out of seeing the effort to incorporate Tolkien's spirit and ideas at least in some form or another. Because that was what enraptured me so much in Tolkien's world, moreso than exact dynamics or timelines and so on.

I do get that some people feel that once you start changing things, you lose the integrity of Tolkien's whole vision. I don't feel exactly the same way, especially as it concerns the things the TV show is trying to adapt, but I understand it. Especially with having The Hobbit trilogy as the last example, so much was added to try to make it feel as epic as the LotR movies, there was far too much bread for the butter scraping, and the bread itself fell apart with the third movie. Such a shame because there are a lot of things I like about the Hobbit movies, but they're enmeshed in a mess.

Wow, best trailer yet aside from maybe the SDCC one.

I am pretty excited for some Numenor stuff, especially to hear McCreary's awesome theme.

Love hearing some homage in the beginning dialogue to the Durin concept. I know it annoys some to no end that the show isn't (and in some ways can't) collating everything Tolkien wrote about everything into the most Tolkien accurate rendition it can, and I understand how frustrating that can be for people who care deeply about his work. I am one who cares like that but I guess I care in a different way when it comes to adaptations.

The show's approach is very similar to Jackson's but is operating in even more of a gray area because Jackson had full texts that were pretty concrete whereas this show is working with bits and pieces and trying to connect them to a lot of writing that they don't have rights to, a lot of that material itself indefinite and occasionally even inconsistent because it was an endless work-in-progress for Tolkien.

All that to say, any Tolkien fan has a right to be mad that this show is not sticking to the letter of what Tolkien wrote as best it can. But like I was with Peter Jackson's films, I do personally get so much out of seeing the effort to incorporate Tolkien's spirit and ideas at least in some form or another. Because that was what enraptured me so much in Tolkien's world, moreso than exact dynamics or timelines and so on.

I do get that some people feel that once you start changing things, you lose the integrity of Tolkien's whole vision. I don't feel exactly the same way, especially as it concerns the things the TV show is trying to adapt, but I understand it. Especially with having The Hobbit trilogy as the last example, so much was added to try to make it feel as epic as the LotR movies, there was far too much bread for the butter scraping, and the bread itself fell apart with the third movie. Such a shame because there are a lot of things I like about the Hobbit movies, but they're enmeshed in a mess.

I"m just glad that we can have rational discussions about it. While it's even more off the mark than the Jackson LotR trilogy and doesn't really, IMO, even follow the storyline of the 2nd age (the timeline is non-existent at best and an absolute mess at worst), it's not like someone robbed me. If I get to the point where I can't watch it, I won't. I can deal with disappointment and have had worse things happen to me in my life.

Numenor amazon map.jpg Numenor.jpg I think we might see Numenor this episode, so here is a map. It is from Amazon's big map and the other is from the show.

Last edited:
Don't get why they won't just drop the episode at midnight humph (◔_◔)

I think some work still needs to be done on the pacing and splitting up of the characters in the episodes. Sad not to see Bronwyn in the episode.

I liked what they were doing with the Orcs. The movies glossed over their weakness to light a bit much, so it was nice to see them trying to avoid being in the sunlight. Those eyes on that new Warg design were super disturbing. Hell, the whole of the Warg was disturbing. The CGI artists did a good job. It was fun to see the elves being flippy dippy again.

The stuff on Numenor is intriguing, though I imagine there is some weird timeline constricting happening. I was proud of myself when I recognized the bit where they said it was a map. Say what you want about the CG, it so far hasn't been as silly as the slow mo horseback ride.

The Harfoot stuff caught me off guard. Hobbit stuff isn't supposed to be sad, wtf. They are supposed to be silly and funny and carefree. Not all, "we will leave your ass behind, but remember it sadly". The hell. The whole ceremony was heavy, damn.

Me to Nori's mom when a seemingly human being literally falls from the sky like a burning meteor and lands at her daughter's feet unharmed:

fate-destiny.gif

That bastard offspring of a mutated Boston Terrier and a Chihuahua that they're calling a warg was awful. Should have used the warg design from the Hobbit trilogy or something close to that.

Last edited:
Amazon is on the west coast so the episode is released at 12am PST.

It was up for me around midnight, so who knows.

That bastard offspring of a mutated Boston Terrier and a Chihuahua that they're calling a warg was awful. Should have used the warg design from the Hobbit trilogy or something close to that.

I liked it. It was really disturbing.

Yeah, as soon as I saw the warg, I knew it was going to be controversial. I personally loved the design because of how unsettling and creepy it looked but I can see why some fans wouldn’t dig it.

Also, I’m sure Galadriel’s expression during the slow motion ride is going to become a meme lol.

I uploaded a higher resolution Numenor map from the show. It's on my previous post I just replaced the one that was there. Here is a cool shot of Numenor
View attachment 58587
Overall, I love the look of this show. I've heard some people complain about it, but, to me, it's the best part of it.

Me to Nori's mom when a seemingly human being literally falls from the sky like a burning meteor and lands at her daughter's feet unharmed:

fate-destiny.gif

:funny:

I have a completely different idea of what the wargs look like. My idea is that they are giant creatures that actually look like wolves (go figure LOL), but with more evil, sinister eyes and mouths.

To be fair to the show, fantasy, sci-fi, and superhero movies HAVE to take liberties in certain areas.

Boston Terrier and Chihuahua....:pal::lmao::lmao::lmao:

That warg was kinda cute tbh ha. I don't mind the design.

Morfydd Clark on the horse is 100% meme material. The slow mo was cruel.

Quite liked the episode. Numenor looked amazing. The Harfoot story is slow but the heart of the whole thing. Halbrand was a total bait and switch.

:funny:

I have a completely different idea of what the wargs look like. My idea is that they are giant creatures that actually look like wolves (go figure LOL), but with more evil, sinister eyes and mouths.

To be fair to the show, fantasy, sci-fi, and superhero movies HAVE to take liberties in certain areas.

Boston Terrier and Chihuahua....:pal::lmao::lmao::lmao:
Wargs are just evil wolves with some degree of sentience. That's basically it.

Wargs are just evil wolves with some degree of sentience. That's basically it.
Yeah. I just think if Orcs are riding them, they also have to be, at the minimum, a few hundred pounds. From a size perspective, I think about the size PJ made them, but the look was way wrong to me.

Numenor was really great, and I did enjoy the episode, though I was hoping we'd kick things into higher gear. There's two storylines we didn't even get an update on either. I guess I just have to accept that this show is a slow burn, which is fine. Though I still don't quite feel like I know what we're moving towards.

Numenor was really great, and I did enjoy the episode, though I was hoping we'd kick things into higher gear. There's two storylines we didn't even get an update on either. I guess I just have to accept that this show is a slow burn, which is fine. Though I still don't quite feel like I know what we're moving towards.
Nobody does except for the people involved in the show. They might, literally, do anything. About all we can be pretty sure of is that Celebrimbor makes some rings and there's a war between the elves and Sauron. The role of the Numenoreans and other men is up in the air.

Nobody does except for the people involved in the show. They might, literally, do anything. About all we can be pretty sure of is that Celebrimbor makes some rings and there's a war between the elves and Sauron. The role of the Numenoreans and other men is up in the air.
Yeah, that's what I assumed after reading things online as well. Though the showrunners said some of those things were for later seasons as well. It just feels like some of that is miles away still, and I'm very unclear on what we'll be doing in the meantime. There isn't really an identity to this story yet, I guess is the best way to put it. Though there is a lot I really enjoy as well.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"