Solo The Scoundrel - Alden Ehrenreich is Han Solo

Alden Shot First: New Rumors Reveal Behind-The-Scenes Han Solo Drama That Led To A New Director
Alden Ehrenreich Had A Bad Feeling About This

Bacon said:
Just two days ago, Star Wars fans were shaken to learn that directors Phil Lord and Chris Miller were parting ways with Lucasfilm. With production on the still-as-yet-untitled #HanSolo spinoff almost complete, the much-loved duo were flying off into the sunset. We've since learned that Ron Howard (A Beautiful Mind, Apollo 13) is taking over.

Something's clearly gone badly wrong in the house that George built, and the internet's been buzzing with fury and panic — after all, Lord and Miller earned a lot of love from fans with films like The Lego Movie and Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs. As the days go on, though, Lucasfilm insiders are quietly admitting that the project was a lot more troubled than we'd ever realized.

StarWarsNewsNet, one of the biggest Star Wars fan-sites out there, has gradually managed to piece together some remarkable details, including the surprising role Alden Ehrenreich (the new Han Solo) played in the behind-the-scenes drama.

A skilled actor who made his movie debut with 2009's Tetro, Ehrenreich is an up-and-coming talent who's managed to snag one of the most exciting roles of all. He was actually the first to audition for the part of young Han Solo, and ran through six months' worth of auditions before finally being cast. His performance has been described as fresh and original, while still honoring the essentials of the character.

By all accounts, nobody at Lucasfilm has any doubt that he's the perfect man to bring the young Han Solo to life, and there have even apparently been rumblings that Lucasfilm may plan a Han Solo sequel in which Ehrenreich reprises the role.

Here's the catch, though. According to StarWarsNewsNet, as production went on, Ehrenreich felt increasingly uncomfortable. Lord and Miller were pushing a Star Wars film unlike any other, with a strong element of screwball comedy. One Lucasfilm insider actually compared it to Jim Carrey's performance in Ace Ventura, and something about it just wasn't sitting comfortably with Ehrenreich, StarWarsNewsNet reports.

Finally, he had enough. Ehrenreich raised his concerns with one of the film's producers, who let Lucasfilm head Kathleen Kennedy know about it; in light of Ehrenreich's concerns, Kennedy decided to review the existing footage, according to the report.

For months now, we've been hearing positive news about the Han Solo spinoff. Insiders who watched individual scenes came away delighted; that's why fans were initially dismissive when rumors of "creative conflict" began to circulate online. It was only when all the scenes were put together, though, that Kathleen Kennedy realized that something just wasn't working, StarWarsNewsNet's sources say. The film wasn't faithful to Lawrence Kasdan's original script, with a high degree of improv and a zany tone that just didn't seem to fit the Galaxy Far, Far Away.

Intriguingly, one insider told StarWarsNewsNet that there was even a continuity error that would have driven the fans wild, and Lord and Miller wouldn't budge on it.

Lucasfilm seems to have called a hiatus on production — for a couple weeks while Ron Howard gets up to speed, Entertainment Weekly reports — and the company will have to order extensive reshoots. Whereas Gareth Edwards was willing to cooperate with Rogue One, Lord and Miller insisted on their own creative control. It's presumably at this point that Lord tweeted:
What's so great about being reasonable

By all accounts, Lucasfilm gave Lord and Miller an ultimatum — our way or the highway — and the duo wanted to do the film their way. "They thought they were brought on to make a Phil and Chris movie," a source close to the directors told EW, adding that they don't feel any anger at Ron Howard: "Somebody has to take over the movie."

In an ironic touch, screenwriter Lawrence Kasdan, who encouraged Lucasfilm to hire the duo in the first place, reportedly pushed hard for their dismissal.

The last two days have seen fans rage and fume. There's been a lot of blame to go around. Is this unfortunate situation the result of "dinosaurs" like Kennedy and Kasdan, as some fans claim? Or should Miller and Lord have been more willing to compromise? The truth is likely a lot more nuanced than we'd like to admit; when something goes wrong on this scale, it usually means everybody messed up somewhere.

The one man who shines in all of this, though, is Alden Ehrenreich, an actor who's clearly committed to his role, and who dared to speak up when he felt the character was being dishonored. He's definitely got the bravery of Han Solo!

When I think of what a pre-ANH Han Solo movie ought to be, the words "screwball comedy" don't come to mind.

I wonder if they left Howard with anything to work with or if they'll have to just scrap everything and start over.

But I agree that it's very strange that nobody in charge noticed the tone this movie was taking until it was almost done filming.

Hmmm...I wonder what that continuity error that would drive fans wild was

Anyway, if any of this is true than props to Alden for speaking up. Shows he cares about the Han Solo character

Maybe they had Han married? Good question though, maybe someday we'll find out.

Last edited:
I can see how scenes viewed individually might seem great but if you watch it all together and it's joke after joke, then yeah, it may not work.

Han never struck me as a jokey, lighthearted guy. He's cocky and makes quips now and then but is usually pretty serious. And when we meet him in ANH he's fairly ruthless and self-absorbed - he was perfectly willing to let Leia die if it meant saving his own hide. A 'screwball comedy' Han wouldn't mesh very well with the hard-bitten smuggler who mowed down Greedo in ANH without even blinking an eye.

When I think of what a pre-ANH Han Solo movie ought to be, the words "screwball comedy" don't come to mind.

I wonder if they left Howard with anything to work with or if they'll have to just scrap everything and start over.

But I agree that it's very strange that nobody in charge noticed the tone this movie was taking until it was almost done filming.

We don't know the exact timeline for all of this.

It seems as though Ehrenreich was indeed the person who first highlighted the problem to Lucasfilm but we don't know when. It could have been very early in the shoot and maybe Kennedy did speak to Lord & Miller straight away, but they simply carried on regardless - I wouldn't be surprised if this was the case based on their childish behaviour when Kasdan arrived on the set and the incident where the sat in the Falcon's cockpit for hours causing all work to stop.

Lord & Miller were apparently causing headaches for most Lucasfilm departments though so I can't figure out why Kennedy took so long to fire them. Perhaps Director's Guild rules or the contracts somehow tied her hands but something happened in those last few days that allowed her to end the contract?

What I don't understand is where were the producers during all this? Allison Shearmur was in England for the whole shoot. Why did Ehrenreich have to highlight the problems to her? Shouldn't she have been on the set enough to see what was going on? Harrelson, Glover and Clarke can be forgiven for not speaking up with Ehrenreich because maybe they aren't Star Wars fans themselves and didn't understand the problems, but the producers are supposed to get it.

Is there any evidence that supports the story that an acting coach was hired for Ehrenreich? I'm wondering it was a rumour spread just to embarrass him?

Also is there any information on why the first editor was fired?

Also, isn't it likely that of the 85% is unusable? Is it possible for Howard to reshoot that much in the time he has been on set and the upcoming reshoots? Or did Lord & Miller shoot enough of the actual script to give Howard something to work with?

Han never struck me as a jokey, lighthearted guy. He's cocky and makes quips now and then but is usually pretty serious. And when we meet him in ANH he's fairly ruthless and self-absorbed - he was perfectly willing to let Leia die if it meant saving his own hide. A 'screwball comedy' Han wouldn't mesh very well with the hard-bitten smuggler who mowed down Greedo in ANH without even blinking an eye.

Yes exactly. Han is funny a lot but he isn't comic relief.

People are thinking that this movie's more lighthearted tone means it is a comedy whereas it just means that it isn't dealing with the good vs evil elements or the massive galaxy altering events like in the other films. Han and Chewie will not be saving the universe or battling the forces of darkness.

Last edited:
I'm sure this was already posted, but I can't find it, but why wasn't Anthony Ingruber cast as Han? He did well as young Harrison Ford in Age of Adaline. He's a walking and talking young Harrison Ford.

[YT]vwLv993khfI[/YT]

I'm sure this was already posted, but I can't find it, but why wasn't Anthony Ingruber cast as Han? He did well as young Harrison Ford in Age of Adaline. He's a walking and talking young Harrison Ford.

[YT]vwLv993khfI[/YT]

Because this movie isn't Ford, it's Solo.

gUK1mNT.gif

[YT]vwLv993khfI[/YT]

Probably because everything he did there is exactly what should NOT be done for a young version of Han Solo. Don't get me wrong, Ingruber does a killer impression of Ford, but that's the main issue I have with him. It's an impression... not acting. Every single thing he does, from the tone of his voice to the way he smiles, is so calculated to mimic Ford that it comes across as cold and unnatural as hell. In order to carry a film, you need someone who can capture the essence of Han Solo without it feeling forced... I guess it's a good thing Lucasfilm cast an actor who looks to have done just that.

Probably because everything he did there is exactly what should NOT be done for a young version of Han Solo. Don't get me wrong, Ingruber does a killer impression of Ford, but that's the main issue I have with him. It's an impression... not acting. Every single thing he does, from the tone of his voice to the way he smiles, is so calculated to mimic Ford that it comes across as cold and unnatural as hell. In order to carry a film, you need someone who can capture the essence of Han Solo without it feeling forced... I guess it's a good thing Lucasfilm cast an actor who looks to have done just that.

Exactly. I think some folks are way too caught up in a resemblance.

Ehrenreich is a good actor but he comes off more like a young Dennis Quaid than Harrison Ford.

Last edited:
Ehrenreich is a good actor but he comes off more like a young Dennis Quad than Harrison Ford.

I know it's already been said, but I guess it's a good thing he's playing a young Han Solo and not a young Harrison Ford then.

aGn3Pl3.gif

I'd assume that Ingruber wasn't seen as a good enough overall actor to make it work in the lead of a film.

I don't really buy that it's a negative to do an impression though. We have several award winning biopics where the lead is doing an impression of the real life person. As Solo is a one-off and not a start of a Bond-like franchise that comparison is valid.

Not really, those biopics tend to not be impressions. Or, at least, impersonation isn't the whole of it.

It's why you get different actors playing the same individual in different movies, and so many different takes on it. Yeah, they're all in the ballpark of what the person was like looks-wise and vocally, but they add their own flair to it too with the mannerisms and stuff.

Like, take someone like Josh Robert Thompson, the voice actor guy and dude who voiced Geoff The Gay Robot Skeleton on Craig Ferguson's show. That dude does a spot-on Robert De Niro impression, and looks a whole lot like the guy facially. You still wouldn't want that guy playing a young De Niro in some biopic movie. He nails the voice, has a lot of the right look. But despite I guess technically being an "actor" (think he's done a little stage stuff), he's not an actor, y'know?

The chops come first, the superficial stuff doesn't have to be exact. Again, you could have found someone way closer in look and demeanor to Alec Guinness for Obi-Wan than McGregor. Thing is, it didn't really matter, he was close enough in the ballpark for it to work aesthetically, and he made the performance his own while still evoking a lot of the Obi-Wan we know and love.

Now that doesn't mean 100% it's going to work with Alden - while a good actor, he's not on McGregor's level (yet at least). But the approach they're taking is sound in terms of the casting, he's the "type" you'd want for this rather than sheer mimickry and nothing more substantive.

You say you disagree then you go on to make a statement that includes the two points I already made.

And there have been biopics where they've gone to large lengths to imitate the real life person, both in mannerisms, voice and looks (makeup and even prosthetics). Far more so than what they are doing with Han Solo in Solo (well, from what we've seen this far, which is limited). Stating that fact does in no way say that it's more important than being a good actor. In fact my first sentence in my post states that the actor part is the most important because I say that I think that's why Ingruber wasn't one of the late candidates, so it's illogical to think that I made such a claim.

Pointless unwarranted hostility out of nowhere, yay.

Calm your boobies, champ.

"And there have been biopics where they've gone to large lengths to imitate the real life person"

This is true. And plenty where they haven't. That all depends on the director, the actor, whatever they deem is most important in achieving. Some go full-on impression, others sort of try to capture the "essence" of the person while adding more of themselves to it.

John Lithgow recently went into detail about how he did all this extensive research on Churchill's voice and mannerisms in order to play him, but ended up throwing some of it out the window because the guy was that unique/eccentric/lispy and people wouldn't believe it was real. So he got this midway point of the voice down, Churchill-esque but sort of diluted and more managable and with some John Lithgow in there too.

There's literally zero gain in prosthetic-ing Alden up to resemble Ford more, or going to some crazy length to minimize that gap with the recasting. Some other director/producer might have wanted to go with an Ingruber or equivalent, sure. Lucasfilm clearly leans more in the "essence" direction, and that's fine. We'll just have to wait and see.

Pointless unwarranted hostility out of nowhere, yay.

Calm your boobies, champ.

"And there have been biopics where they've gone to large lengths to imitate the real life person"

This is true. And plenty where they haven't. That all depends on the director, the actor, whatever they deem is most important in achieving. Some go full-on impression, others sort of try to capture the "essence" of the person while adding more of themselves to it.

John Lithgow recently went into detail about how he did all this extensive research on Churchill's voice and mannerisms in order to play him, but ended up throwing some of it out the window because the guy was that unique/eccentric/lispy and people wouldn't believe it was real. So he got this midway point of the voice down, Churchill-esque but sort of diluted and more managable and with some John Lithgow in there too.

There's literally zero gain in prosthetic-ing Alden up to resemble Ford more, or going to some crazy length to minimize that gap with the recasting. Some other director/producer might have wanted to go with an Ingruber or equivalent, sure. Lucasfilm clearly leans more in the "essence" direction, and that's fine. We'll just have to wait and see.

Where exactly do you see any hostility? I stated my points in a matter of fact way. The only statement I see that's not in such a manner in our discussion is your "calm your boobies, champ".

But on to the point. I know that not all biopics are like that, that's why I didn't make a statement that included all of them. My point is that there have been several that have gone that way, and won awards, which proves the point that the notion of closely imitating the existing subject isn't invalid in itself. It can work, and has done so.

I haven't made any statements about what I think they should have done in Solo, so your statements about that are beside my point.

Mjölnir;36323785 said:
I'd assume that Ingruber wasn't seen as a good enough overall actor to make it work in the lead of a film.

I don't really buy that it's a negative to do an impression though. We have several award winning biopics where the lead is doing an impression of the real life person. As Solo is a one-off and not a start of a Bond-like franchise that comparison is valid.
He is signed for 3 films.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"