The Suicide Squad Box Office Thread

Rounding out the top five are Disney’s “Jungle Cruise” and Warner Bros.’ “The Suicide Squad.” “Jungle Cruise” is expected to add another $8.9 million to its haul, bringing it to a healthy $88 million. In its second weekend of release, “The Suicide Squad” has slipped to the No. 5 slot, and is aiming to add another $7.2 million to its earnings for a total of $42.3 million.

Box Office: 'Free Guy' Set to Score Top Spot With $26 Million - Variety

Will end up making less worldwide than WW84 did (although it will beat WW84 domestically).

How bad would that look given WW84 opened in way worse conditions

WW84 made 166M worldwide. TSS is currently somewhere around 80M worldwide if the international weekend is more or less the same as the domestic one. TSS will probably end up making a ltttle over 100M worldwide.

Black Widow was/is also being streaming on D+ for about $30 per account.... WB isn't getting any eXtra income when their HBO MaX subscribers are watching The Suicide Squad this weekend, unless majority of their new subscribers only subscribed this week to watch TSS. So it isn't just "luck". Wb could have also moved this to the 1st weekend of May or two weeks after F9.

TSS would be lucky at this point to hit $185 million worldwide. The 2nd weekend drop might come close to 60%.
It seems even worse than close to siXty percent.

I feel bad for Idris Elba. Dude seems to have the worst luck when it comes to franchise movies. He finally gets a lead role in a good movie but it’s a tainted brand opening in the resurgence of a pandemic. The guy just can’t win.

Whats crazy to me is Jungle Cruise is showing stronger holds than The Suicide Squad and has outgrossed TSS this weekend.

What if, JC was R rated film and at same time available for free on D+, then it would have been a fair comparison. (almost, if u ignore Rock's star power)

Edit : Talking about US collections only, as HBO Max is still not available globally.

WW84 made 166M worldwide. TSS is currently somewhere around 80M worldwide if the international weekend is more or less the same as the domestic one. TSS will probably end up making a ltttle over 100M worldwide.
Yea. it's a terrible look. WW84 came out during global shutdowns and vaccines weren't even a thing yet

Yea. it's a terrible look. WW84 came out during global shutdowns and vaccines weren't even a thing yet
When WW84 was released, second wave of Covid was in full force and only 10% of theatres in US were open, most of south East Asia was closed due to lock downs.

It's really hard to pinpoint what went wrong with TSS. The R-rating, HBO Max availability and covid all hurt it, I'm sure. But then there are other things to consider. Did people not go see this because they disliked the first one? Or did they not go see it because they enjoyed the first one and this didn't look anything like the original (no Big Willy, different tone, less-known characters)? Did people not go see it because they had forgotten about the franchise after 5 years? Is the DC brand just way weaker than we thought?

As I have been saying on this thread, the Delta variant is not playing as big a part as some think- the MUCH bigger issue is that this film had very low buzz from the start and was a bad idea. And the mostly awful trailers didn't help.

The lesson from this and BOP, if you're going to make to make eccentric, R rated films, you better have some funny trailers and these did not. And enough of the songs in the background (both in the trailers and films), just get on with the story and stop trying to force eccentricity. WB seems to think if they just show some weirdness and have a song playing in the background of the trailers that people will just come running to watch

As I have been saying on this thread, the Delta variant is not playing as big a part as some think- the MUCH bigger issue is that this film had very low buzz from the start and was a bad idea. And the mostly awful trailers didn't help.

The lesson from this and BOP, if you're going to make to make eccentric, R rated films, you better have some funny trailers and these did not. And enough of the songs in the background (both in the trailers and films), just get on with the story and stop trying to force eccentricity. WB seems to think if they just show some weirdness and have a song playing in the background of the trailers that people will just come running to watch

It's pretty clear WB was expecting this to be their Guardians of the Galaxy.

It's really hard to pinpoint what went wrong with TSS. The R-rating, HBO Max availability and covid all hurt it, I'm sure. But then there are other things to consider. Did people not go see this because they disliked the first one? Or did they not go see it because they enjoyed the first one and this didn't look anything like the original (no Big Willy, different tone, less-known characters)? Did people not go see it because they had forgotten about the franchise after 5 years? Is the DC brand just way weaker than we thought?
Long gap between the first SS and TSS hurt the franchise, Star Trek movies also suffered due to long gaps between the sequels.

It's pretty clear WB was expecting this to be their Guardians of the Galaxy.

Yup, and BOP to be their Deadpool. But you can't just copy/paste another studios success. What has worked best for DC- Wonder Woman, Joker, and Aquaman. All three offered something unique to some extent and the trailers had some silly moments but there was an overall serious story behind them.

That doesn't mean you can't make weird R rated films, but you better be sure the marketing is up to par for that, and it simply wasn't for either BOP or TSS. Trailers were unfunny, characters looked like they had cheap outfits on, BOP had a ridiculously convoluted title, etc etc.

Ah, Birds of Prey. In 2019 you can't name your movie that and not deliver on the Birds of Prey part.

dp4icdeynqk21.jpg

If they had actually given us the trio in their comic-accurate costumes then the movie would have done well, I think.

What if, JC was R rated film and at same time available for free on D+, then it would have been a fair comparison. (almost, if u ignore Rock's star power)

Edit : Talking about US collections only, as HBO Max is still not available globally.
And still which movie is out longer in theaters and with less impressive reviews?

If someone told me last year that Jungle Cruise will outgross Suicide Squad, I would have been skeptical.

Man, poor DC. The pressure is on next year. They have FOUR heavy hitters (The Batman, Black Adam, The Flash and Aquaman 2) coming out that NEED to all be big hits to make up for TSS, BoP and WW84.

Man, poor DC. The pressure is on next year. They have FOUR heavy hitters (The Batman, Black Adam, The Flash and Aquaman 2) coming out that NEED to all be big hits to make up for TSS, BoP and WW84.
I'm still not sure why Black Adam was greenlit but yeah I'd be interesting to see the performances of those movies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"