The Suicide Squad: General Discussion and Speculation

I don't necessarily agree with those twitter comments as BoP was released during early days of pandemic when people were cautious going to theaters and the theaters were not exactly getting full audience.

Then BoP did earn 2.5 times it's production budget before it was released as VoD and steaming so it under-performed but was not a flop. Flop would be Harrison Ford's The Call of The Wild (2020) which earned .$111 mil worldwide on a budget of $135 mil.

Similarly, WW84 was released during the peak of second wave of Pandemic, only 10 % of theaters in U.S. were open, almost all of Europe was in lock-down, many countries in Asia were also under lock downs.

Then add the effect of same - day & date release on HBO Max and you have the reason why WW84 did poor Box Office numbers, and here I'm not even taking into account the money it made while it was available on rent on iTunes and Google Play movies world-wide, where WW84 did fairly well, so not a flop ?

For example, WW84 was at top of UK charts in sale of Blurays & streaming.

The UK's Official Top 40 biggest films of 2021 so far
Wonder Woman 1984 is the biggest film of 2021 so far, Official Charts Company data has revealed.

The film tops out the year-to-date chart, which lays out the Top 40 biggest films in the UK across disc and digital sales of the first six months of 2021.

Last edited:
What were Black Widow pre-sales like? We’re still an a tough period for box office.

Well yeah, I think this movie has a bit of an uphill struggle. The first film made money but most people agree that it was trash. And as great as James Gunn is, I’m not sure whether the general public knows that this is a departure from the first one (or rather, this is actual James Gunn and not a trailer company trying to ape his style, lol). But we’ll see. After the disappointments that were WW84 and Black Widow, I’m really hoping that this superhero (villain) film delivers.
Gunn's TSS doesn't have very recognizable DC comics characters apart from Harley Quinn, Amanda Waller and Boomerang, other DC characters are C-listers ? Contrast this with David Ayer's SS, it had Joker, Harley, Deadshot with guest appearance of Batman and Flash.

It also lacks big name star cast, I mean, no offense to John Cena and Idris Elba, but having Ben Affleck , Will Smith and Jared Leto is going to get more attention.

Yeah but star power only helps early. Again I just don't think this film is set up for the big early numbers its a "legs" style film heavy on reviews and WOM.

Gunn's TSS doesn't have very recognizable DC comics characters apart from Harley Quinn, Amanda Waller and Boomerang, other DC characters are C-listers ? Contrast this with David Ayer's SS, it had Joker, Harley, Deadshot with guest appearance of Batman and Flash.

It also lacks big name star cast, I mean, no offense to John Cena and Idris Elba, but having Ben Affleck , Will Smith and Jared Leto is going to get more attention.

I wouldn't say Jared Leto is the draw. The draw was specifically for the Joker. But yeah this movie is missing a general audience draw like Will Smith and Joker.

Times Square, NY

E62SpA3XoAYEDyB

John Cena's facial expressions are outstanding in that interview!

And King Shark in that clip is genius!! FAKE MUSTACHE!!!

Local guy who is involved in film tracking and does reviews on the radio said he can't give specifics yet but this film was the most fun he had watching any of the post pandemic films by far. He is not prone to hyperbole but the word brilliant was used multiple times.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"