The Tennis Thread - Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sadly i'm at work and missing this match :csad:

Ditto. I got it dvr'd, but couldn't stay away from checking the stream occasionally and being spoiled.

I look forward to watching a repetition of it, sounds like a heck of a match. Not surprising considering these two. Tough for Novak, but i'm sure he'll win this one eventually.

Unreal. Game set match Nadal. Probably should already start polishing the trophy case for number 8. Because I don't think Tsonga or Ferrer can stop him. At best Ferrer might be the only one to take a set off him. Novak will sleep tonight remembering that break he had. Tough one to swallow but he took part in what many will say was the match of the year so far.

It's almost poetic that the last 5 set match Novak/Rafa played Novak won on his turf at the AO. Now Rafa takes the win at his house in another 5 set epic. We saw a lot of great points today. True clash of titans.

Still would've loved a Novak/Tsonga final but Rafa is to the French what Spielberg is to the movies.

Yeah, and Nadal was up a break in the fifth set in Australia too, 4-2 as well I believe.

I'm holding out hope for Tsonga. We all know the rap on him, he's a big go for broke hitter, and he's already blasted Nadal at the '08 Aussie. Plus there's x-factors: how will the crowd in a French final affect Jo Wily and how does Nadal's adrenaline dump in the semis hurt him?

I mean, Nadal had arguably an even more grueling match with Verdasco back in Melbourne '09, but that was Verdasco with Federer awaiting him in the finals. This semifinal with Djokovic feels like a final and we know that is an emotional match up for Nadal.

I love the first point of the Ferrer Tsonga match, Ferrer first serve up the T to Tsonga backhand, and Jo puts it crosscourt right in the corner. Perfect

I look forward to watching a repetition of it, sounds like a heck of a match. Not surprising considering these two. Tough for Novak, but i'm sure he'll win this one eventually.

It was that stupid hat. Guys with hats lose.

His losing to Nadal at Roland Garros is getting out of hand. He got over the hump in losing to Federer at the USO where Fed put him out three straight years, but Nadal has beaten him like six times at Roland Garros. I wonder if Djokovic will ever beat him there. He missed his opportunity in 2011, because I don't think there was any way Nadal was beating him at that point.

Ferrer had beaten Nadal a few times at Slams but that's usually when Nadal is ailing.

Well to be fair, only one man can claim to beating Nadal in RG. He's only lost once. That's extremely impressive when you think about it.

I dont underestimate Tsonga or Ferrer at all. I expect a close match on sunday.

I don't think Tsonga could have come out any flatter or more passive. The crowd is trying to rally him as Ferrer is bullying him

Well to be fair, only one man can claim to beating Nadal in RG. He's only lost once. That's extremely impressive when you think about it.

I dont underestimate Tsonga or Ferrer at all. I expect a close match on sunday.

I'm not prepared to lump Djokovic in with the other 40 or so Rafa victims at Roland Garros. He's got a game to be successful on clay, against Nadal, and he's beaten Nadal multiple times on slow clay. He has the edge in the recent rivalry. I know it's not easy to defeat Nadal in Paris, but it wasnt easy for Nadal to beat Federer at Wimbledon in '08 when Federer hadn't lost on grass in six years.

I won't pass judgment until I see the match, but Djokovic shouldn't be 0-6 against Nadal anywhere.

Man, Tsonga just hit a half volley with his backhand, and with a stiff half swing hit in long. That was a hacker, club player shot. Ferrer is totally deconstructing Tsonga. Tsonga won a game, based mostly on some big serves.

I think that just shows how good Rafa is on clay, and something about RG just brings the best out of him, taking it a step further. He isnt unbeatable of course, but it wont be easy for Novak. But if anyone can do it, i believe it's Novak. Indeed, Rafa beat Roger on Wimbledon and that wasnt easy. I just hope Novak losing to Rafa on RG doesnt get inside his head like (in my opinion) Rafa got inside Roger's.

Wow, that was fast. Tsonga better react fast if he doesnt want this match to get away from him, cause Ferrer can be dangerous on clay.

Last edited:
Tsonga is putting a little more air on his forehand, a little more topspin.

He's also decided to not hit any backhands, as his forehand side is wide open court.

2-0 start to the second set for Tsonga

Ferrer pounds away at Tsonga's backhand and Tsonga's replies are shorter and shorter, hes hitting backhands he could run around, then Ferrer sends a ball to Tsonga's forehand and pays dearly as Tsonga coats it in corner chalk

3-0 Jo Wily

There we go, that's more like what i was expecting from this match. Back on serve, 3-3.

Last edited:
Amazing epic match, didn't think the broken Rafa could do it again, figured the #1 in the world and going in way-confident Novak was finally the barrier (on any surface) Rafa could not pass.

Apparently not here though. This should really be Rafa's icon, pretty much his face rising out of the red clay...
mummyfilm_468x240%5B1%5D.jpg

...Vamos!

Now rooting for Tsonga in the final.

Last edited:
Ferrer wins the second set tiebreak. Tsonga better push it, or this one is over way too soon.

Wow, Ferrer to the final in 3 straight sets over Tsonga. I've only seen the score, but it seemed like a very one sided match.

There shall be an all spanish final on sunday.

Serena speaking French without a single stutter was WOAH. :eek:

Congrats to her.

Expect Rafa to come out firing. I can see Ferrer maybe giving him a fight as he's done it before on clay but right now I just see Rafa locked in for bringing home number 8. Hopefully a good championship match regardless.

What a rally. Ferrer doing what he does best: fight. But Nadal just too good in the end which tends to always be the case. Ferrer is not playing a bad match...Rafa is just...Rafa. 4-1 in the second.

Holy **** thank God Rafa got out of the way of that crazy protester.

I mean, what more can you say?...Rafa. :up:

Great win for Rafa, im not a fan of his but I cant deny how great that achievment is. Anyway I heard that even though Ferrer lost he still moves ahead of Nadal in the rankings when they released tomorrow, is this true?

Yeah, Brad Gilbert explained that Ferrer garnered more points for making both the semi and final for the first time. He was only behind Rafa by 120 points anyway.

Also I just learned Federer is teaming with Haas in doubles tomorrow in Halle. That's both interesting and exciting. Already more tennis tomorrow!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Holopaxume
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"