The Tennis Thread - Part 4

Status
Not open for further replies.
Another epic match here. The winner is going to be tired for tomorrow.

Djokovic with 3 match points finally.

Djok does it. Wins the final set 10-8. Surely we’ve never had 2 semi-finals last so long.

Serena a set and 4-2 down!

Kerber does it. Wins her first Wimbledon title!! And in straight sets against Serena Williams.

Goddamn it Serena. :argh:

I honestly don't see Rafa winning Wimbledon in the near future unless he gets cakewalk draws.

Side note: I didn't get to watch the match, except for highlights. Was the roof closed?

Also, congrats to Kerber in beating Williams. I am happy she's able to win it this time around.

Djok wins his 4th title!!

Congrats Djoko.

You guys think he has a chance to match or surpass Federer's GS record?

Dojo is back to his winning ways, at least for Wimbledon.

Side note: I didn't get to watch the match, except for highlights. Was the roof closed?.
For Nadal-Djokovic, yep, Bit of a controversy there lol. Apparently since the game started with a roof on friday players had to both agree to play with open roof on saturday, and Novak preferred closed roof despite not really being needed.

I personally think the terrible scheduling on friday ruined somewhat the quality of the final. It wasnt fair that Nadal and Novak had to play two days straight (Novak 3 days) just because the organizers didnt start play earlier on friday. They all could have played their matches on friday had they started play at 11am, instead of 1pm.

Also, as entertaining (or not) as having no 5th set tiebreak could be, i think it's a bit too much to have the players play endlessly until one breaks. They should have a top score (maybe 10-10 or 15-15) and from there, they play a tiebreak. I felt bad for Djoko and Anderson (especially) yesterday.

Congrats to Novak on his win. I'm not a huge fan of the guy, but it's nice to see him healthy. Let's see how things unfold in the upcoming hard court season!

And i'm thrilled for Kerber. She demolished Serena, I expected more of a competitive match. Good to see her finally winning Wimbledon and back in form, after all the hate and dissing she got when she fell from the top of the ranking.

Congrats Djoko.

You guys think he has a chance to match or surpass Federer's GS record?

If he totally finds his form again then who knows. I think Nadal will be hard to stop too as he has 4 more than Djok and is just a year older.

Djok 13 wins Age: 31
Nadal 17 wins Age: 32
Federer 20 wins Age: 36

If Novak stays healthy, i think he can surpass Roger. Granted, that also applies to Rafa lol. Also, let's see if the young guys like Zverev/Thiem can start making a dent and win more in the big tournaments, cause so far these older guys are keeping them at bay. But if they can start competing more, that will make it harder for Novak and Rafa, and even for Roger.

Nadal is the one I think is favourite with that French Open likely coming his way nearly every year. Unless Djok gets back to his very best it will be hard to win enough titles to catch up to Rafa. And I think Rafa will keep going till he at least catches Roger assuming his body holds out as well.

Big question is: how many more can Roger win? Can he widen the gap?

Big question is: how many more can Roger win? Can he widen the gap?

Now that he's not competing in all the majors there's more pressure on him to win the ones that he's in. And until Rafa deteriorates more he is the only one who is likely to get one in the bag every year which is a big advantage as everyone ages another year.

Yeah, that was very cool of Rafa. I hate it when the crowd does that, it's so inappropriate.

Now that he's not competing in all the majors there's more pressure on him to win the ones that he's in. And until Rafa deteriorates more he is the only one who is likely to get one in the bag every year which is a big advantage as everyone ages another year.
Well, the only major he's skipping is clay and we know why that is :cwink::funny:

Well, draws were announced for the US Open. Seems Djokovic and Federer landed on the same section, so they would meet in the quarterfinals, if all goes according to plan. Federer could meet Kyrgios in the third round though, so i think his path looks complicated.

Rafa's first round oponent is Ferrer, and he could face Sock or Edmund in the round of 16, with a potential rematch of last year's final in the quarters against Anderson. But Anderson has it tough with Thiem, Shapovalov in his path.

THE match of the first round has to be Wawrinka (wild card) vs Dimitrov. An interesting potential 3rd round match would be Del Potro vs Murray unseeded).

Zverev could potentially meet Cilic in the quarterfinals. Before that he could meet Kei Nishikori, Gael Monfils, David Goffin or Diego Schwartzman.

I just love the US Open! Love the energy of the crowd, specially during the night matches. Long gone is the snobbery of Wimbledon lol.

Well, the only major he's skipping is clay and we know why that is :cwink::funny:

Well, draws were announced for the US Open. Seems Djokovic and Federer landed on the same section, so they would meet in the quarterfinals, if all goes according to plan. Federer could meet Kyrgios in the third round though, so i think his path looks complicated.

Rafa's first round oponent is Ferrer, and he could face Sock or Edmund in the round of 16, with a potential rematch of last year's final in the quarters against Anderson. But Anderson has it tough with Thiem, Shapovalov in his path.

THE match of the first round has to be Wawrinka (wild card) vs Dimitrov. An interesting potential 3rd round match would be Del Potro vs Murray unseeded).

Zverev could potentially meet Cilic in the quarterfinals. Before that he could meet Kei Nishikori, Gael Monfils, David Goffin or Diego Schwartzman.

I just love the US Open! Love the energy of the crowd, specially during the night matches. Long gone is the snobbery of Wimbledon lol.

Oh I didn't know he was skipping only clay. I have a feeling he is playing for the career wins record now given the stage of his career he is at while Nadal might be more concerned with burying the French Open record for all time, knowing he could well still have time to pick up a few more other titles once Federer finally retires.

Yeah, last couple of years Federer has skipped the entire clay season. Of course he says it's to have a better preparation for the grass season, but come on lol. His French Open record has suffered due to the guy that's still dominating the surface, and what are the odds he can beat Rafa on clay now? I say less than some years ago, despite his latest successes against Rafa when they've played. I think he just not rather even make an attempt and focus on giving himself better chances for Wimbledon.

Yeah, last couple of years Federer has skipped the entire clay season. Of course he says it's to have a better preparation for the grass season, but come on lol. His French Open record has suffered due to the guy that's still dominating the surface, and what are the odds he can beat Rafa on clay now? I say less than some years ago, despite his latest successes against Rafa when they've played. I think he just not rather even make an attempt and focus on giving himself better chances for Wimbledon.

Oh right. So not just the French Open but all the lesser clay tournaments too. Maybe he is doing the right thing. Imagine if Nadal ends up injured for a French and then some average player wins. He’ll be kicking himself lol.

The French Open president is a *****e.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"