The Official Boxing Thread!!! - Part 4

Status
Not open for further replies.
Loved how mayweather all of a sudden feels "old" and "lost a step"
MAN I HOPE THIS EVENT ENDS UP LOSING MONEY

I hope it does too, sadly it won't. A lot of times, mainstream boxing has a circus-like element to it, this is Barnum and Bailey's on PEDs.

It's also curious timing that Floyd comes out with this after Paulie goes on his press tour trying to trash Conor.

That being said, I actually do believe Floyd's lost A step, he's at the age where most guys in any sport have a precipitous fall off the proverbial cliff. The caveat of course, is that Floyd would have to lose a million steps and fall off the Grand Canyon in order for this to be any sort of upset...

I think Canelo beats GGG, I don't know if I'd go as far as to say easily or convincingly as Golovkin doesn't seem to get the sort of mainstream recognition for how good he actually is & I think it will be a competitive bout. However that being said, as it's been pointed out by a few others, I think Canelo has shown improvement since that defeat to Mayweather & I think it gave him good experience to take himself up a level. Mayweather was clever IMO to fight him when he did.

I think Canelo beats GGG, I don't know if I'd go as far as to say easily or convincingly as Golovkin doesn't seem to get the sort of mainstream recognition for how good he actually is & I think it will be a competitive bout. However that being said, as it's been pointed out by a few others, I think Canelo has shown improvement since that defeat to Mayweather & I think it gave him good experience to take himself up a level. Mayweather was clever IMO to fight him when he did.

What?! He's rated top 3 in most P4P! He has his own Jordan line, despite having one of the most questionable resumes in boxing. Not sure how he doesn't get recognition. :huh:

What?! He's rated top 3 in most P4P! He has his own Jordan line, despite having one of the most questionable resumes in boxing. Not sure how he doesn't get recognition. :huh:

I meant more along the lines of recognition from the more casual of fans & mainstream media. Basically I mean he's not a big well known boxing star, obviously there's Floyd Mayweather & then there's everybody else, but even Canelo who isn't necessarily a household name himself does get decent coverage (in the UK) when he fights whereas GGG doesn't seem to get the same sort of attention IMO despite being as talented as he is.

out of thousands of boxers worldwide, he has one of the most questionable resumes? :lmao:

I meant more along the lines of recognition from the more casual of fans & mainstream media. Basically I mean he's not a big well known boxing star, obviously there's Floyd Mayweather & then there's everybody else, but even Canelo who isn't necessarily a household name himself does get decent coverage (in the UK) when he fights whereas GGG doesn't seem to get the same sort of attention IMO despite being as talented as he is.

Gotcha! I know what you mean. Just had to read it twice. I agree.

out of thousands of boxers worldwide, he has one of the most questionable resumes? :lmao:

He does, if we're talking about boxers with any sort of name recognition in the mainstream. He definitely does.

He does, if we're talking about boxers with any sort of name recognition in the mainstream. He definitely does.
Surprised you even answered. I'm not even going there with him.

in other news Cotto vs Lemieux is being lined up for December 2nd if Miguel comes through a warm up fight n August 26th.

https://www.ringtv.com/512326-miguel-cotto-david-lemieux-possible-dec-2-new-york/

That looks like a horrible match up honestly. Lemieux looks way to big for Cotto. I don't think this is a good fight at all.

That looks like a horrible match up honestly. Lemieux looks way to big for Cotto. I don't think this is a good fight at all.

Not as hurlible as Mayweather McGregor. LOL.

I honestly don't think it will. They have weight classes for a reason. It's been rumored that Lemieux gets as high as 185 on fight night. Cotto is a small middleweight.

Lemieux is a big guy with hands of stone. I still want to see that fight. Big style matchup between him and Cotto.

You being wrong on the topic is not my problem. Especially as you ignore how everyone has run from him, and Canelo has only agreed once he has gotten beter and GGG has slowed down a bit.

Bummed and happy about Marquez retiring. Legendary fighter in my eyes.
He gave me my all time favorite boxing moment. And after starting behind Morales and Barrera, he somehow ended up the greatest fighter of the 3 imo.

So I half-caught the end of something on the sports channel. Looked like a quote from Mayweather where he's saying that if it goes the distance it's like a victory for Conor. I agree and I hope that's a real quote.

Just checked and the fight is £19.95 here. Not too bad (in line with other big fights).

So I half-caught the end of something on the sports channel. Looked like a quote from Mayweather where he's saying that if it goes the distance it's like a victory for Conor. I agree and I hope that's a real quote.

He's 100% right. I feel Mayweather has to finish McGregor & win emphatically. He's a seasoned professional boxer that's 49-0 fighting a guy that's making his professional boxing debut.. he's not your typical debutant given he is coming from another professional combat sport, but it's still his pro boxing debut. I'd even argue that a decision win with a clean sweep of indisputable rounds in favour of Mayweather wouldn't be good enough unless McGregor's face actually looks like he's taken a pasting.

Just checked and the fight is £19.95 here. Not too bad (in line with other big fights).

Yeah I was talking to Darth I think it was somewhere in this thread about the price, the Mayweather/Pacquiao was £19.95 as was the Joshua/Klitschko. Anything from £15-20 is typical pricing, just depends on how big the names involved are.

It's absolutely true whether he said it or not. The ONLY chance Conor has is that Floyd's skills have fallen off the cliff. A fighter's ability can go FAST and there's no way to predict what they'll be like a year or two down the road. My take on Mayweather is that he hasn't taken a ton of punishment and, therefore, will last a little longer. There comes a time when you know what you have to do, but the reflexes just aren't there anymore.

Floyd is SO far above Conor, that I doubt this will be an issue, but Floyd needs to get out of the business pronto and not let his ego tell him he can do things his body can't.

Floyd has a lot of Hopkins to him, in that he adapted his style to a place where it ages very well. His defense on the ropes has been ridiculous the last decade.

Floyd has a lot of Hopkins to him, in that he adapted his style to a place where it ages very well. His defense on the ropes has been ridiculous the last decade.

Yes, Hopkins was able to adapt his style, but he benefited greatly from being able to hit harder than a migraine headache. Floyd doesn't have that, but, I don't think it'll matter. When you start to slow down just a little bit, your opponents will start coming at you more aggressively. If you have a punch that scares them, they have to back it down a notch.

George Foreman was another. Early in his career, he hit like a horse, but was done after 6 or so rounds because he never learned how to relax in the ring and used a lot of energy. To put it simply, he was tense and didn't even realize it because that's how he fought. Later, he dialed it back and was knocking people out in the 10 or 11th round. I guarantee you that if George didn't still have that BIG punch to keep people wary, he doesn't last as long.

That's my take anyway.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Holopaxume
Back