• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

BvS The Unabashed SPOILER Thread. ENTER AT OWN RISK.

Status
Not open for further replies.
If it gets 60% in the rotten tomatoes meter that might be a good thing - that site has the dumbest method of scoring films and they gave Iron Man 1 a 94% and that's the most BORING damned superhero movie next to TDKRises in the last 10 years. I guess it's easy to get a high score when nothing happens in your movie so nothing can run the risk of making a critic think or dividing fans.

You do realize the % itself isn't the actual score? It's simply how many critics in a sample scored a fresh/good review. If you want a barometer, you're much better off looking at the averages.

You do realize the % itself isn't the actual score? It's simply how many critics in a sample scored a fresh/good review. If you want a barometer, you're much better off looking at the averages.

By "they" I didn't mean Rotten Tomatoes itself.

If it gets 60% in the rotten tomatoes meter that might be a good thing - that site has the dumbest method of scoring films and they gave Iron Man 1 a 94% and that's the most BORING damned superhero movie next to TDKRises in the last 10 years. I guess it's easy to get a high score when nothing happens in your movie so nothing can run the risk of making a critic think or dividing fans.

If the film doesn't score over a 70%, it's not good. WB/DC can't just keep releasing one mediocre film after another when they're trying to get an expanded universe going, especially when they're competitors are doing so great both critically and commercially.

BvS will make bank, no doubt about that. But if this film scores less than a 70%, it looks bad on their part. This is Batman versus Superman, with the first appearance of Wonder Woman. This is the biggest DC movie in history. There's no excuse if the movie gets a mixed reception. This is one of those Holy Grail type of movies for a genre. If they can't get a Superman solo movie right, and now a Batman AND Superman movie either, then how are they gonna get people hyped for Justice League? I'm sure lots of people will be hyped anyway, but there's going to be a lot of shaken confidence in them to churn out a high quality film, if the last two ones are mediocre.

If the film doesn't score over a 70%, it's not good.

The Big Lebowski had nothing but horrible reviews when it first came out and it's the greatest comedy ever. It took years for it to get any kind of recognition.

I'm not saying any movie will or deserves it, but scores and reviews mean jack **** to me. I don't care if everyone on the planet tells me Civil War and BvS suck, I'm trusting my own opinion.

You know what, I think if we end up getting great reviews for the film, I might go and watch it. Why? Because this isn't superman anymore.

This New 52 ******** where superman isn't even a shadow of his former self and where he holds little to no actual importance in his universe.

Gin a way, it's a good thing that Snyder never allowed Cavill's character to fully evolve into the character, otherwise it'd be worse.

Why do you have to bring New 52 into this?

Superman is just as important as anyone else in the League. He's not more important than anyone, never been.

(In any continuity..okay, maybe in some else worlds, like the Nail). But, no one leaguer is important than the others.

If that's your impression of the League, you really need to read some comics dude - read Morrison's JLA.

If the film doesn't score over a 70%, it's not good. WB/DC can't just keep releasing one mediocre film after another when they're trying to get an expanded universe going, especially when they're competitors are doing so great both critically and commercially.

BvS will make bank, no doubt about that. But if this film scores less than a 70%, it looks bad on their part. This is Batman versus Superman, with the first appearance of Wonder Woman. This is the biggest DC movie in history. There's no excuse if the movie gets a mixed reception. This is one of those Holy Grail type of movies for a genre. If they can't get a Superman solo movie right, and now a Batman AND Superman movie either, then how are they gonna get people hyped for Justice League? I'm sure lots of people will be hyped anyway, but there's going to be a lot of shaken confidence in them to churn out a high quality film, if the last two ones are mediocre.
Took the words right or of my mouth. This has to be a swing hit. If not then Snyder can't deliver and needs to leave IMO.

No herolee-- we don't have confirmation. I don't believe Ddong has seen the film, and I don't have any reason to believe your supposed "source" who very well could be lying to you.

It is NOT confirmed yet.

Is that so?

EDIT:

Ah, I see it wasn't "confirmed" however herolee would have you believe it is set in stone :o

If there's anything that I think a lot of people could end up agreeing on is that superman will at least be presumed dead after the fight against doomsday. Whether he's actually dead and stays that way when the credits start rolling is a different question.

Welcome back to the meltdown that is Herolee 2016. To catch yourself please refer to the last few pages, thank you and enjoy your stay.

tumblr_nyrpuoZByh1uxamwco3_500.gif

Yep. It's almost like some people want Superman to die and be upset about it now, given the obsession about it. I mean, we haven't even seen the film yet. I'm optimistic it will be good, but there's no way we can say it's awful. Just see the movie ourselves.

Better to be ready now than bud up false hope later and end it with utter disappointment.

But I'll definitely make a wager out of this. If my friend ended up pulling one under me with her statement and superman actually survives this ordeal, I will not come on here to bother anyone for a month and even after that I will never rant like this again or so help me, I should be permanently banned.

Yeah, me too. He calls himself a 'good poster'. That's hilarious. :woot:

:oldrazz:

200w.gif

Took the words right or of my mouth. This has to be a swing hit. If not then Snyder can't deliver and needs to leave IMO.

Truth be told I don't know what they were thinking letting him take the reigns of BvS and JL. With Man of Steel you could at least make the excuse that he was working with Goyer's script, who isn't a good screenwriter. But this time he has Terrio and Affleck. There's no excuse.

Why do you have to bring New 52 into this?

Superman is just as important as anyone else in the League. He's not more important than anyone, never been.

(In any continuity..okay, maybe in some else worlds, like the Nail). But, no one leaguer is important than the others.

If that's your impression of the League, you really need to read some comics dude - read Morrison's JLA.

I'm not asking for Superman to be above the entire league, which is ironic because a few folks here would actually be okay with the idea of the league existing because of Superman's death and him coming back to rally them together.lol

I just don't want him to be put in a similar situation like Hawkeye was for A1 where, because of his own separate plot, he wasn't able to really interact with the group until the final battle, let alone do much as well.

Truth be told I don't know what they were thinking letting him take the reigns of BvS and JL. With Man of Steel you could at least make the excuse that he was working with Goyer's script, who isn't a good screenwriter. But this time he has Terrio and Affleck. There's no excuse.

Exactly! Last time around I blame Goyer. Now he has no way else to blame. He's got two Academy Award winning writers working with him. If he can't deliver now, then he needs to go. I'm honestly surprised he's doing JL myself. I desperately hope this pans out but if not then boot him out. Get a George Miller or a JJ Abrams to do JL. People whom we know can deliver. Or hell get Affleck to do it.

The "ENTER AT OWN RISK" in the title of this thread now has taken on a whole new meaning after Hero's meltdown. :cwink:

Herolee-- so you admit your friend could be wrong? They why panic?

Herolee is still a good poster. He's just having a moment.

I had a moment before MOS came out. I was just lurking in those days, but I remember a poster from another forum came on here and stated that superman kills Zod. He was accused of being a troll I think, but it later came out that it was true. I threw a little fit because I thought that was just loony at the time. I thought that Snyder and the lot just didn't get superman, why should I even watch the movie, blah blah and so on. Of course, since I was just a lurker no one had to witness this event. When I actually calmed down and saw the scene in context, I was ok with the idea of superman killing under those circumstances.

So, herolee, my advice to you is to just calm yourself and watch the movie. It might end up being ok.

For someone that sounds like they hate the film already, they sure like using gifs from it. :o

It's really interesting to me that Warner Bros chose Snyder for an endeavor that carries so much weight to the start of a new franchise of films . All you have to do is look at his brief history in film and see the divisive nature of his approach. Plus if you notice, his sophomore weekend at the box office is always pretty rough. 60% or higher drop for each movie. This may explain why this film is so heavily front loaded.

And while I think the movie is essentially critic proof for the first weekend, it will definitely play into what happens after that initial opening. People are getting to know Snyder pretty good from these other movies and if the word is this is another long and dreary movie, that will cut heavily into it's box office legs (especially after the success of Deadpool and with Civil War coming). I think it needs to score at least in the upper 70's on Rotten Tomatoes to garner a productive run that will take it to the billion dollar club. I don't believe this is a shoe-in at all for that total. If it were that easy, there would be more films in that company.

In terms of Justice League, I think that's apples and oranges. I'm confident that film has so many endorsements, it's likely already bought and paid for. So nothing this film does will interrupt the production on that project. But if it underperforms, I'm quite certain the studio will wonder if they should have kept Snyder in the driver's seat. Time will tell. All of this will be a moot point though if BVS reaches it's financial objectives.

I'm not asking for Superman to be above the entire league, which is ironic because a few folks here would actually be okay with the idea of the league existing because of Superman's death and him coming back to rally them together.lol

I just don't want him to be put in a similar situation like Hawkeye was for A1 where, because of his own separate plot, he wasn't able to really interact with the group until the final battle, let alone do much as well.

But, that's literally not going to happen.

Superman revealing himself to the world is literally the cornerstone of JL.

As for him dying - it really depends on the execution (and whether Snyder and Terrio can pull it off - well, I can give you a good answer in a week).

Ya'll watched this yet? The interviewer spoils a moment in the film.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0gHSw6ZsM6c
1:13

Batman busts in (I assume into her house?) and he says, "I'm a friend of your sons".
It's a very intense scene, Martha is a mess, really disheveled. :S Sorry Herolee..

The "ENTER AT OWN RISK" in the title of this thread now has taken on a whole new meaning after Hero's meltdown. :cwink:

200w.gif

Herolee-- so you admit your friend could be wrong? They why panic?

I'm about 99% sure though that she's not lying to me on this. Plus, it really adds up to everything that we've already seen and heard.

I had a moment before MOS came out. I was just lurking in those days, but I remember a poster from another forum came on here and stated that superman kills Zod. He was accused of being a troll I think, but it later came out that it was true. I threw a little fit because I thought that was just loony at the time. I thought that Snyder and the lot just didn't get superman, why should I even watch the movie, blah blah and so on. Of course, since I was just a lurker no one had to witness this event. When I actually calmed down and saw the scene in context, I was ok with the idea of superman killing under those circumstances.

So, herolee, my advice to you is to just calm yourself and watch the movie. It might end up being ok.

He's been "having a moment" over a couple of days and it gets worse and worse each passing minute haha :funny:

But I'll definitely make a wager out of this. If my friend ended up pulling one under me with her statement and superman actually survives this ordeal, I will not come on here to bother anyone for a month and even after that I will never rant like this again or so help me, I should be permanently banned.

:hehe:

^ will have to hold him to that if it ends up happening

I definitely appreciate your patience and kind words on this.

Though I honestly can't see myself letting this one go, regardless of execution, due to the fact of the timing of all of this (Pre JL and Batman's involvement in the film)

Batman busts in (I assume into her house?) and he says, "I'm a friend of your sons".
It's a very intense scene, Martha is a mess, really disheveled. :S Sorry Herolee..

Np. I already knew as much. Tbh, I would have no problem with superman dying if he were to return back to the world of the living before the credits started rolling but I'm pretty sure that is not the case

Reviews and scores ultimately mean zero once you sit down to watch a movie and form your own opinion. Yes they sway some people's minds and I don't get why people don't just decide on their own but that's got zero to do with spoilers at this point.

Good find.

Maybe Luthor's holding her captive?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stevezorz