BvS The Unabashed SPOILER Thread. ENTER AT OWN RISK.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think you can say Superman isn't properly used in BvS if he dies. If it fits the themes and the overall narrative, it's respectful to the character.

In Death of Superman, the League send all their might at Doomsday and all it does is blast his bodysuit off. A combined effort is not automatically going to equal success.

If I remember correctly though, the league members that went up against doomsday, prior to superman, weren't really the heavy hitters though.

As a Superman fan, the one rumor that I really hope isn't true is that the Trinity fight ends with WW cutting off Doomsday's head. If anyone should get the final blow, it should be Superman. It would be a crime not too. Doomsday is and always has been Superman's enemy. I would feel robbed if WW ends the fight.

I don't think you can say Superman isn't properly used in BvS if he dies. If it fits the themes and the overall narrative, it's respectful to the character.

Exactly, it just matters on how it's done. Some handsome bastard a few pages back said it best

So what if people call it cheap? So what if people think he's overpowered?

Superman will give his life to save a world that fears him because its the right thing to do. If thats the case, then Batman and Wonder Woman are the ones who aren't walking away with the most heroic scene, Clark is.

Superman and Batman weren't even founding members originally, maybe the league struggles to save the day until Clark returns to inspire and rally them as leader? We don't know yet. The possibilities are still endless.

Id consider it to be bad timing then.lol

It would be like doing civil war after the first avengers film and before any of the phase two films.

If Steve were to die in CW, at least he was able to enjoy being a part of the avengers and its formation

Remember as well, the studio said to consider Man of Steel, BvS, and Justice League all part of a trilogy about Clark's origins.

Part of people's problems with Man of Steel is that it didn't have Clark learn to use his powers, and then skip 8 months into the future like Spider-Man or several other movies did, we're in for the long haul on this one.

He's not the myth that people have built him up to be yet, that takes time. He's taken great strides to becoming that in BvS, but might not be fully there yet until Justice League.

Remember as well, the studio said to consider Man of Steel, BvS, and Justice League all part of a trilogy about Clark's origins.

Part of people's problems with Man of Steel is that it didn't have Clark learn to use his powers, and then skip 8 months into the future like Spider-Man or several other movies did, we're in for the long haul on this one.

He's not the myth that people have built him up to be yet, that takes time. He's taken great strides to becoming that in BvS, but might not be fully there yet until Justice League.

I don't blame them wanting to take their time with him. No offense to Supes but, once he becomes THE Superman...he isn't that compelling of a character.

What if Supes returns in the WW movie? As part of the present element?

If I had your fortitude and strength then a lot of people would have been spared a great deal of annoyance.

I don't think I could even bring myself to watch BvS until JL came out with superman properly portrayed and used in that film.

if I feel Superman is portrayed badly, I will rant and rave like I did against SR.........lol.

even though MOS had some Superman moments that were less than "ideal," I felt it all made sense in the context of the story. And I was willing to give them the benefit of the doubt because MOS was just the first chapter in a larger story.

I don't view and judge MOS as a standalone film.

And, if MOS, BvS, and JL ( both Parts 1 and 2, I guess ) are supposed to serve as a trilogy of sorts, then Superman's heroic sacrifice at the end of BvS could serve the larger narrative purpose.

For example, if Superman's sacrifice makes Batman realize that "men are still good" and causes him to start changing his cynical/brutal ways, I can accept that.

If Superman's sacrifice inspires the people of Metropolis to find hope amongst each other, then I can accept that.

And, if Superman's sacrifice causes Batman and Wonder Woman to seek out other metas and form the JL to fill the void left by Superman's "death," then I can accept that.

I can accept all of that, if it's done right.

I don't blame them wanting to take their time with him. No offense to Supes but, once he becomes THE Superman...he isn't that compelling of a character.

I'm in the opposite camp - I think he's much more compelling when he IS at that level.

I don't mind them taking their time to get there because studios in the past present a hero at their final stages in the first film and then squander all kinds of story opportunities and just round things off with a trilogy.

In Man of Steel he was against people's fear and cynicism and the Kryptonians. Now he's against Batman and the public's paranoia and Luthor's deception. In Justice League it could be different.

They're not just doing "Alright, Spidey vs Green Goblin. Same thing for part 2 but Doc Ock. Same thing for part 3 but Venom and Sandman. Alright ,we're done here."

This way as long as they're creative enough they can just keep recasting every so often and making good stand alone movies rather than having to set up sequels or phases or crossover movies. They can lead into them, but they're not putting everything on the table all at once, and then restarting again in a few years.

Hmm. That's a good question.

Maybe they just wanted to introduce her to start a foundation for the JL? Maybe they want to show the trinity bonding and trying to fight this thing together. The loss of superman might make them realize they need a larger group and so they seek out more heroes.

I think it's more likely Supes comes back and they then all work together.

Wonder Woman is there to show that she's trying to get a team together. A superhero doing it and gathering others like her is a little more fun than a government agency doing it. Having Wonder Woman come out of nowhere, actually get involved with the events of the whole movie, and saying "hey guys, let's work together" is a lot more compelling in the grand scheme of things.

Supes and Batman weren't mainstays originally for a while, so they might be giving the movie lineup (WW, Flash, Cyborg, Aquaman) some time to shine before Batman agrees to get involved and Superman comes back to inspire/rally.

if I feel Superman is portrayed badly, I will rant and rave like I did against SR.........lol.

even though MOS had some Superman moments that were less than "ideal," I felt it all made sense in the context of the story. And I was willing to give them the benefit of the doubt because MOS was just the first chapter in a larger story.

I don't view and judge MOS as a standalone film.

And, if MOS, BvS, and JL ( both Parts 1 and 2, I guess ) are supposed to serve as a trilogy of sorts, then Superman's heroic sacrifice at the end of BvS could serve the larger narrative purpose.

For example, if Superman's sacrifice makes Batman realize that "men are still good" and causes him to start changing his cynical/brutal ways, I can accept that.

If Superman's sacrifice inspires the people of Metropolis to find hope amongst each other, then I can accept that.

And, if Superman's sacrifice causes Batman and Wonder Woman to seek out other metas and form the JL to fill the void left by Superman's "death," then I can accept that.

I can accept all of that, if it's done right.

Well, I've been burned twice, three times if you include SR, when it comes to how Superman has been portrayed on film so I'm not willing to hold onto some misplaced hope that all of the crap that we've seen Superman gone through will payoff in "Justice League".

Even though MOS had its fair share of issues, I was willing to look that aside if BvS could deliver.

Now that we (most likely) know that Superman doesn't make it out of this film alive, that won't be the case for me. So I'm not willing to wait for another year and hope that this all payoffs in JL when it's not guaranteed that Superman will even be used properly in that film.

I was willing to tolerate the amount of Bat-Centric stuff that were getting with the start of BvS but now that Superman is going to be dead for awhile, I really don't want to anymore.

Superman comes back to inspire/rally.

Eh....they'd probably (or will most likely) do to him what they did to Thor in "The Avengers".

Comes back midway in the film after everyone else has had loads of screen time and multiple scenes to bond over and ends up only being there just for the final battle alone with one or two visual sequences while everyone else receives better spotlight (via Cap, Iron Man, Hulk, and BW).

I think they did Thor much better justice in Age of Ultron, but this is Superman.

I feel like they did Clark more justice in Man of Steel than the MCU has done for Thor across four films. He doesn't even feel remotely like comic Thor to me at times, and his adventures certainly don't.

Superman coming back from the dead in JL would be a bit different from Thor meeting back up with everyone after taking a 15 minute break.

Eh....they'd probably (or will most likely) do to him what they did to Thor in "The Avengers".

Comes back midway in the film after everyone else has had loads of screen time and multiple scenes to bond over and ends up only being there just for the final battle alone with one or two visual sequences while everyone else receives better spotlight (via Cap, Iron Man, Hulk, and BW).

Wut.

No, Thor was introduced in the first act. No one had "bonded over" when he arrived, unless you want to count Coulson and Cap. Thor was not just there for the final fight.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"