Sequels Transformers Cinematic Universe Cancelled

Grootster

Dancing Tree
Reaction score
http://news.tfw2005.com/2018/02/16/...universe-current-movie-series-rebooted-358641

This was not something we thought we’d hear at today’s Toy Fair 2018 Hasbro Investor Preview.

Hasbro specifically stated that a new team at Paramount will reset the Transformers Live Action Movie Series following the release of Bumblebee: The Movie.

Sure enough, the company has removed Transformers 6 (sequel to Transformers: The Last Knight) from the upcoming list of movies. [Guess we are stuck with a cliffhanger, eh?]

Additionally, there is no Transformers Live Action Movie listed for the foreseeable future (2021). Whatever that may come, will only come (on or) after the aforementioned year.

Furthermore, the new agreement with Paramount will have Hasbro having greater control of the movies including greenlighting the movie projects. $100-$125 Million will be spent by Hasbro for Film and TV content in 2018.

Bumblebee: The Movie trailer or sizzle reel made its debut to the investors at the event. Unfortunately we were not able to see it.

Slides from the announcement, can be found after the jump. You can check out the rest of the report via our coverage of the event.

Furthermore, the new agreement with Paramount will have Hasbro having greater control of the movies including greenlighting the movie projects.

Ugh, I predicted this less than a week ago in the reboot thread.

I'm not a huge fan of the bayverse, but I think I would rather see it continued than see whatever Hasbro's going to give us. I could be wrong, maybe the reboot will be great, but I think we're in for a lot of the same nonsense that's plagued Hasbro's other recent Transformers work. Expect a lot of aligned references and Windblade.

I also feel a bit sad that the current story will never be resolved. They should have finished off the trilogy with a Unicron battle and tied up the loose ends before rebooting.

So basically just like G.I.Joe, but I expected it to last longer than ending it with a spin off film. Keep Michael Bay away from the reboot.

I'm not a huge fan of the bayverse, but I think I would rather see it continued than see whatever Hasbro's going to give us. I could be wrong, maybe the reboot will be great, but I think we're in for a lot of the same nonsense that's plagued Hasbro's other recent Transformers work. Expect a lot of aligned references and Windblade.

I also feel a bit sad that the current story will never be resolved. They should have finished off the trilogy with a Unicron battle and tied up the loose ends before rebooting.

It's going to be one big toy advert. :woot:

It's going to be one big toy advert. :woot:

Yeah, exactly. I suppose that might not necessarily be a bad thing if it's done well, but I do admire the existing movieverse for kind of being it's own thing apart from the rest of the brand. I feel like people will miss the freedom Bay had.

That much being said, the more I think about it, the more I'm kind of warming up to the idea of a full reboot. Sure Hasbro may take tighter control, but whether of not the reboot is good will ultimately depend on the filmmakers they choose. For instance, Windblade being in the movies isn't a problem for me if she's well characterized and written (and designed). My only problem with that character is the way she was handled in past series. Under talented storytellers she could be just as good as anyone else.

Even if the reboot is bad, I would think the story will be better than the stuff Bay gave us, not to mention the designs will probably be more simple and G1-inspired. I'm expecting a fairly "safe" series (basically the Force Awakens of Transformers), but maybe that's what we need after the Bay series.

I don't quite understand why they're choosing to reboot though. The Last Knight didn't do as well as past films, but it wasn't a flop. The two before it were huge. The franchise looked unstoppable after Age of Extinction came out. I feel like they do episode 6 (maybe with a different director) before calling defeat. That way that could at least wrap up the storyline.

I don't quite understand why they're choosing to reboot though. The Last Knight didn't do as well as past films, but it wasn't a flop. The two before it were huge. The franchise looked unstoppable after Age of Extinction came out. I feel like they do episode 6 (maybe with a different director) before calling defeat. That way that could at least wrap up the storyline.

The Last Knight made only $130 million domestic off of a $217 million production budget. Figure about another $150 million for prints and advertising. The movie probably didn't make any money.

The Bay Transformers Universe is dead. It wasn't going anywhere. The films are not critic proof anymore.

They're rebooting it because the Bay version as the basis for any sort of cinematic universe is dead.

Why continue what is already broken? This universe is an absolute mess. Bay can't even keep anything straight anymore. His characters are garbage. The Transformers are garbage. The humans are annoying and unlikable. Let the past die. Kill it if you have to. It's the only way the Transformers can become what they were meant to be.

Personally i'd rather they just let it die off, on a high note (hoping #6 is a high note that is), and give it a few decades, before they even think of rebooting it.
I got sick of the reboots they did for spidey all in somewhat of a quick succession..

PLUS imo there's a lot of other stuff out there worthy of a reboot if they are incapable of coming up with new ideas...

Two words: Beast Wars. It's what everyone wants. :o

The Last Knight made only $130 million domestic off of a $217 million production budget. Figure about another $150 million for prints and advertising. The movie probably didn't make any money.

The Bay Transformers Universe is dead. It wasn't going anywhere. The films are not critic proof anymore.

They're rebooting it because the Bay version as the basis for any sort of cinematic universe is dead.

Why continue what is already broken? This universe is an absolute mess. Bay can't even keep anything straight anymore. His characters are garbage. The Transformers are garbage. The humans are annoying and unlikable. Let the past die. Kill it if you have to. It's the only way the Transformers can become what they were meant to be.

I didn't realize it did that poorly. If that's the case, that makes more sense.

I don't know if I agree that it's fully dead though. A lot of people thought Star Wars was dead after the prequels. I myself was guilty of claiming the prequels broke Star Wars beyond repair and that it would have to be rebooted. Turns out the new movies have been hugely popular and huge moneymakers. I don't think the general audience cares about tight continuity in movies like us fans do, they just want good movies. I think if they got rid of Bay and take the series in a more appealing direction (and emphasize it in the marketing), it would work just as well as a reboot.

Reboot and introduce the Transformers in that Hasbro crossover movie in 2021.
Seems like too long a wait tho :( Could the autobots make a cameo in the Gi Joe reboot film...

The momentum suggests they could have made a big loss with the next TF film. LK made just over half of what its predecessor made and audiences were finally abandoning it.

Yeah, exactly. I suppose that might not necessarily be a bad thing if it's done well, but I do admire the existing movieverse for kind of being it's own thing apart from the rest of the brand. I feel like people will miss the freedom Bay had.

That much being said, the more I think about it, the more I'm kind of warming up to the idea of a full reboot. Sure Hasbro may take tighter control, but whether of not the reboot is good will ultimately depend on the filmmakers they choose. For instance, Windblade being in the movies isn't a problem for me if she's well characterized and written (and designed). My only problem with that character is the way she was handled in past series. Under talented storytellers she could be just as good as anyone else.

Even if the reboot is bad, I would think the story will be better than the stuff Bay gave us, not to mention the designs will probably be more simple and G1-inspired. I'm expecting a fairly "safe" series (basically the Force Awakens of Transformers), but maybe that's what we need after the Bay series.

I can't really picture what we might get with Hasbro having much more say. Hopefully something more along the lines of the first one which I consider to be a decent film.

Gonna be an unpopular opinion, but I'll say it outright.

As someone who enjoys the first three Bay films, Transformers can be done so much better with a reboot that actually treats these characters like characters, develops plotlines that make sense and features humor not written by a 13-year old.

If the same producers and executives are still onboard sans Michael Bay though, and if Hasbro's getting even more creative control out of it, then it might be TAS movies all over again.

Also take a cue from the IDW comics for God's sake. In both art design and story.

Yes, especially the IDW comics.

I don't know if I agree that it's fully dead though. A lot of people thought Star Wars was dead after the prequels. I myself was guilty of claiming the prequels broke Star Wars beyond repair and that it would have to be rebooted. Turns out the new movies have been hugely popular and huge moneymakers. I don't think the general audience cares about tight continuity in movies like us fans do, they just want good movies. I think if they got rid of Bay and take the series in a more appealing direction (and emphasize it in the marketing), it would work just as well as a reboot.

Revenge of the Sith did $380 million domestic/$848 million worldwide in 2005 dollars. That's far from dead and far from what The Last Knight did.

For anyone who has read IDW, what are some of the comics worth reading?

I read More than Meets the Eye for a while. I liked it at first, but I thought it got old after a while. I felt like it kind of eliminated the "disguise" aspect (which is the tagline of the brand). I feel like it would have worked better as a limited run thing with a handful of issues. I'm a little bit less into the Cybertron/space stuff than some fans, I actually like the robot/human interaction and creative use of disguises.

Revenge of the Sith did $380 million domestic/$848 million worldwide in 2005 dollars. That's far from dead and far from what The Last Knight did.

I was talking more about the storytelling side of it. The prequels present a lot of continuity errors with the OT (not to mention plenty of other problems), but that didn't ruin the franchise. I've never heard anyone say they're not watching future Star Wars movies because of the errors in the prequels. Star Wars didn't need to be rebooted to erase the problems with the prequels.

I'm not into Transformers at all but i was really surprised to hear this. I thought the franchise was a huge money-spinner. Has the writing been on the wall for this for a while?

They should have just gone ahead with a sixth film to tie everything up and end it. I can't see a reboot being successful. The only time a quick reboot has been successful lately was Spider-Man: Homecoming, and that was solely because it was part of the Marvel Cinematic Universe. Transformers had its day in the sun but given the reception to The Last Knight, audiences are caring less and less about it.

Gonna be an unpopular opinion, but I'll say it outright.

As someone who enjoys the first three Bay films, Transformers can be done so much better with a reboot that actually treats these characters like characters, develops plotlines that make sense and features humor not written by a 13-year old.

If the same producers and executives are still onboard sans Michael Bay though, and if Hasbro's getting even more creative control out of it, then it might be TAS movies all over again.
I'll take animated series movies over what Michael Bay did. Literally the worst kind of hot garbage.

Even Star Wars was in a better position IMO. Revenge of the Sith did a lot better than Attack of the Clones and was much better received by critics. Plus, you had the successful Clone Wars TV series.

They should have just gone ahead with a sixth film to tie everything up and end it. I can't see a reboot being successful. The only time a quick reboot has been successful lately was Spider-Man: Homecoming, and that was solely because it was part of the Marvel Cinematic Universe. Transformers had its day in the sun but given the reception to The Last Knight, audiences are caring less and less about it.

Agreed. WRap it up nicely and leave it be!

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
joelschmole
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"