Bumblebee The Bumblebee Spin-Off Official Thread

I'd probably rank them (in terms of enjoyment, not technical quality):

Bumblebee
Last Knight
Age of Extinction
Revenge of the Fallen
Dark of the Moon

I'm really not a fan of the first trilogy movies, they feel too samey to me. I also don't like Shia (beyond the first movie, he's fine in that one). The Shia movies feel like generic action movies, while the Wahlberg ones (and Bumblebee) feel more like sci-fi adventures. I'm going to watch them all again later in summer, my ranking could change a bit then.

I like the Quintessa and 'evil' Optimus subplot in TLK. I also really like the opening 20 minutes or so, with the Autobots hiding out at the junkyard, and going on rescue missions and all. That stuff was great, I wish the whole movie was like that. It kind of takes a nosedive for me once Cade goes to Burton's castle. That portion should have been shortened a lot, and they should have given the Autobots something to do while that was going on instead of just sitting around (quite literally). Then the movie really takes a nosedive during the submarine sequence. I would literally rather watch the Autobots sit around doing nothing than that, lol. Again, it could have really been cut down. Thankfully the end battle picks up, and is one of the more entertaining battles in the series.

Yeah i am pretty with you 100% on your thoughts on TLK, my ranking would differ quite a bit from yours though:

1) Transformers/ Bumblebee (joint)
3) Dark Of The Moon
4) Age Of Extinction
5) The Last Knight
6) Revenge Of The Fallen

I do actually like them all in terms of enjoyment though

I've only seen the 2007 first and Bumblebee. Both were good, but Bumblebee is the better of the two films.

I've only seen the 2007 first and Bumblebee. Both were good, but Bumblebee is the better of the two films.

I have always found the first movie severely under rated personally, especially on here. But Bumblebee May over take it in time.

I like the 2007 film, I just can't take the fact you can't see what the hell is going on, it's grey metal bashing grey metal. Bumblebee has every robot correctly coloured and contextualised and so it's far easier to see what's going on. BB is like Year 1 animated series writ large and I love it for it, it was like being 9 again and watching it first time around.

Honestly I never had a problem telling who was who in the Bay movies, but I liked the action in Bumblebee a lot as well.

Honestly I never had a problem telling who was who in the Bay movies, but I liked the action in Bumblebee a lot as well.

I know the designs of the robots, so I can't say I have a problem telling who was who during the action, but I get why the casual audience might have a hard time.

My problem with Bay's action is that it's not particularly clever. Most of the action is just variations of robots hitting each other, sometimes with melee weapons (mostly swords and axes). It's kind of a shame, because they have some really out-there robot designs. They could have done some neat stuff with a design like Demolisher or Hightower (whose CGI model never appeared in the movie). Or Cogman as a headmaster. But they mostly just smash stuff.

I want more unique fighting styles, and more use of transformations and vehicle forms in action sequences (like what they did with the triple changers in Bumblebee). I want more unique weapons like Sentinel's rust cannon and Dropkick's gun that turns people to liquid. Even Hot Rod's awesome "time slowing" gun was underused. Why don't we have more gunfights in these movies?

I would say I have a similar problem with the action in something like Age of Ultron. The first Avengers had the novelty of seeing all the Avengers fighting together. But Age of Ultron didn't really do too much new stuff with them. Aside from Vision's power set, it's mostly just them doing what we've seen them do before. I rewatched AOU about a year ago, and I was kind of bored and nauseated when they all started smashing robots. I think the Russo Bros do a much better job having the heroes use their powers in new ways, which helps keep a sense of novelty.

Not necessarily saying the Transformers need to be superheroes, but there were more unique abilities and types of robots in the cartoons and whatnot.

Hhmm3JS.gif

xbLGx3M.gif

bmk7o4O.gif

Fq4IVfw.gif

Those GIFs are glorious, watched this again last night and it gets better every time

Late to the party.

I haven’t seen a Tranformers movie since the 2nd. Michael Bay’s bull**** got tiring really fast. Then along comes Bumblebee and rocks my world. This is as close to a live action The Iron Giant as we are going to get. Real emotion, real stakes, smooth action, and most important, actual charm and PERSONALITY. This is everything the Transformers franchise should’ve been. I’m going to be paying real close attention to what projects Travis Knight tackles next.

9/10

This is such an under rated movie, Paramount need to be in Knights ear about the sequel, wonder when we will hear more on that front?

I wish we had the first Transformers movie that was more this style. This was the best one of them all. Faithful designs. No juvenile toilet humor like robots peeing on people. There was kiddie humor but it was done in a more innocent child like way through Bumblebee rather than forced and cringe-y.

I wonder when we will hear about more TF movies?

Apparently the sequel for Bumblebee has a writer, and I really hope they bring back Travis Knight because I loved what he did with this movie.

Saw BumbleBee again earlier today. It was good but it was such a drastic departure from Bay's work that I probably didn't enjoy it as much as I would have wanted to. The lack of bombast makes this one so un-eventful and pedestrian compared to the Bayformers.

Optimus looked so good in the G1 design tho. The sleeker Autobots definitely look infinitely better with the G1 design.

The cluttered look of NBEs in Bay's movies work well for the Decepticons (makes them look menacing, scary and demonic), fat Autobots (Hound, Ironhide, Daytrade), animal inspired bots (Grimlock, Laserbeak, dinobots) and the little ones. But going forward I would definitely go to bat for G1 designs.

Last edited:
I still love the hell out of Bumblebee and I didn't mind the designs in Bay's movies, but going forward I hope we get the BB Cybertron designs as they are just awesome and those parts of BB are just a fanboys wet dream.

I still love the hell out of Bumblebee and I didn't mind the designs in Bay's movies, but going forward I hope we get the BB Cybertron designs as they are just awesome and those parts of BB are just a fanboys wet dream.

That's true man.

I loved it when Optimus & Jetfire merged in TF2. Thought it was a great tribute to Transformers: Armada (that merge is one of my happiest moments as a kid). But the same with the G1 design would have been so, so, so much better.

Paramount Dates New ‘Transformers’ Movie For 2022 – Deadline

Paramount has given a date for a new live-action Transformers movie of June 24, 2022.

The studio is in development on two different projects: one by Murder Mystery scribe
James Vanderbilt and the other by John Wick Chapter 3 EP and Army of the Dead scribe Joby Harold. The Vanderbilt project, from what we’ve heard, is based on Transformers spinoff Beast Wars which are robots that transform into robotic animals like Cheetor (Cheetah), Optimus Primal (Gorilla), Rhinox (Rhinoceros) and more. The other is reportedly in the Bumblebee universe. It’s not definite yet which one will make it to production.

I’m betting this “live action movie” is Bumblebee 2, as there were few human characters in Beast Wars. Could go either way, though.

I loved Bumblebee, so I would be more than happy to see more Autobots and Decepticons with G1 inspired designs. On the other hand, Beast Wars was my introduction to the Transformers universe, so I’m a bit biased.

Watch it be Beast Machines or something.

Never got into Beast Wars, so I am hoping this is Bumblebee 2, or another mainline movie.

Not counting Bumblebee as a sub-franchise, a small part of me just wants to see a final installment directed by Michael Bay to round out the Wahlberg trilogy and close out the damn thing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"