Bumblebee The Bumblebee Spin-Off Official Thread

Couldn’t disagree with you more, while it skew a bit more kiddie than the previous movies, it made up for that with tons of heart, a great lead and some really good action.
Higher expectations even if it did skew more kiddie. I can watch Goosebumps just fine, but that difference is made up through better writing (comedic/dramatic). Steinfeld was playing a been-there done-that rebellous lead with her mean girl bully, a quirky boy friend, a "I'm telling mom", "I miss dad who isn't here anymore yet we bonded over a hobby I gave up", etc. It's not heart I haven't seen elsewhere, only better executed because it works in a uniquely memorable fashion. Cena is wasted.

The action doesn't last long & is sparce overall. The stuff on Cybertron is over with so fast with so little dialogue, it may as well have been a history brief narrated by someone. Travis Knight directed the heck out of Kubo, so I'm surprised how run of the mill the shots and sequences here were...though again that might just go back to the writing. I'm really dreading Hodson's next project.

Last edited:
Higher expectations even if it did skew more kiddie. I can watch Goosebumps just fine, but that difference is made up through better writing (comedic/dramatic). Steinfeld was playing a been-there done-that rebellous lead with her mean girl bully, a quirky boy friend, a "I'm telling mom", "I miss dad who isn't here anymore yet we bonded over a hobby I gave up", etc. It's not heart I haven't seen elsewhere, only better executed because it works in a uniquely memorable fashion. Cena is wasted.

The action doesn't last long & is sparce overall. The stuff on Cybertron is over with so fast with so little dialogue, it may as well have been a history brief narrated by someone. Travis Knight directed the heck out of Kubo, so I'm surprised how run of the mill the shots and sequences here were...though again that might just go back to the writing. I'm really dreading Hodson's next project.

Agree to disagree my friend, but there was a reason manyfans and the critics loved it, and why it hadgood BO legs

I won't believe it's profitable unless I see the numbers.

Transformers: The Last Knight And Bumblebee Are Both Getting Sequels

“We are already working on two projects and both have scripts under development. One is the latest in the main family series following the events of Transformers: The Last Knight and the other is a sequel to Bumblebee. So, we are thinking of films where Optimus Prime and Bumblebee will be the buddies, but when Optimus and Bumblebee are the movies of the protagonists … how human beings get involved in their drama In the first place, the size is different between human beings and their’s …. It’s a worrying point (laughs).

Does this mean we're getting two different continuities? I hope not!

I doubt they make a sequel to Last Knight. Paramount doesn't seem to be in a rush with anything Transformers now.

I reluctantly have to agree with you there. I had high expectations for the movie and I found it a bit too simple and fairly standard. I wanted more of an edge to the movie. A lot of time was spent on cutesy bonding moments and I wanted more action. Not that I wanted a Michael Bay movie. But I wanted it to get on with the story of the Transformers. I like that it has simplified all that horrible Bay story stuff and gone back to basics but it felt a little too basic.

But I think the producers recognise that and have taken on the criticism. So if it builds up from this and develops well, then that would be great:

“…the audience had asked us several times, in different ways, ‘I want to get to know a Transformer better.” We did that. In some respects, definitely a tip to what the audience had said to us. The interesting part is when you set out to do something like that, you don’t exactly know the ramifications of it. In this case, the ramification of it was, for the people who didn’t love the movie, was not enough action. Because you’re telling a more intimate story, therefore you can’t. So the criticism we got from some fans was like, “Hey, come on.” It was funny, I was just in Japan…and one of the reporters said to me, ‘I love the movie, I love this, I love this, and I was very tired of Michael Bay.’ I said, ‘Uh huh, I’ve heard this before.” And he goes, ‘But you know, after watching this film, I kind of wish it had a little more Michael Bay.’ It was really funny. I said, ‘Listen, I completely understand. I like what Michael does, too. Two different films, two different attempts.'”

“Several lessons have come out of this. One is that we have the freedom to tell almost any story. The other is that, how strongly the audience identified with the strength of character and emotion. I know the next Transformer, our attempt anyway, is to sort of do a fusion of Bumblebee and the Bay movies…a little more Bayhem. And a little bit more of the character falling in love within the emotional dynamic of the movie. One of the things I want to do—and I hope we pull it off—is, we did it with Bumblebee because he’s so cute and he’s so accessible, but he can’t talk. I think the more human we can make these characters, the more people are going to like them.”

'Transformers' Producer Says 'Bumblebee' Follow-Ups Will Have "A Little More Bayhem"

I guess I never popped in here to give my two cents. I absolutely loved Bumblebee! I went to the early screening, and to the opening night showing a few weeks later. I'm getting ready to screen it for some friends next week when it's released on DVD. Bumblebee is easily the most enjoyable movie I've seen in recent years, and it's definitely in my top 5 movies ever. I'm probably a bit biased since I've been a G1 Transformers fan since childhood, but this movie is pretty much what I've always wanted out of a TF movie. Heck, it's what I want out of a movie period.

I thought this movie was a huge breath of fresh air for Hollywood. I see some people above complaining about it being "too simple" and "lacking in action". Fair enough, but that's part of what I loved about it. No action (aside from a brief flashback) during the middle third. This was closer to an '80s movie like ET than a usual modern sci-fi/action/superhero movie. Not just in terms of imagery and soundtrack, but in terms of the filmmaking. Slower pace, more intimacy, more time devoted to character development, etc. I'm getting tired of constant action beats in modern franchise movies, which usually end up feeling generic and samey anyway. When the action finally kicks in here, it's hugely satisfying (easily the most satisfying...and clever...action I've seen in a modern movie). It's rare to see a big-name action property like Transformers handled with such restraint, and I give them major props for that.

Edit: All of that being said, I'm fine with a sequel including more action. That's pretty standard for sequels. While I'm hugely looking forward to what comes next, this movie is lightning-in-a-bottle for me. I have a hard time seeing myself being as mind-blown by future installments, but I'd love to be proven wrong.

Last edited:
I guess I never popped in here to give my two cents. I absolutely loved Bumblebee! I went to the early screening, and to the opening night showing a few weeks later. I'm getting ready to screen it for some friends next week when it's released on DVD. Bumblebee is easily the most enjoyable movie I've seen in recent years, and it's definitely in my top 5 movies ever. I'm probably a bit biased since I've been a G1 Transformers fan since childhood, but this movie is pretty much what I've always wanted out of a TF movie. Heck, it's what I want out of a movie period.

I thought this movie was a huge breath of fresh air for Hollywood. I see some people above complaining about it being "too simple" and "lacking in action". Fair enough, but that's part of what I loved about it. No action (aside from a brief flashback) during the middle third. This was closer to an '80s movie like ET than a usual modern sci-fi/action/superhero movie. Not just in terms of imagery and soundtrack, but in terms of the filmmaking. Slower pace, more intimacy, more time devoted to character development, etc. I'm getting tired of constant action beats in modern franchise movies, which usually end up feeling generic and samey anyway. When the action finally kicks in here, it's hugely satisfying (easily the most satisfying...and clever...action I've seen in a modern movie). It's rare to see a big-name action property like Transformers handled with such restraint, and I give them major props for that.

Edit: All of that being said, I'm fine with a sequel including more action. That's pretty standard for sequels. While I'm hugely looking forward to what comes next, this movie is lightning-in-a-bottle for me. I have a hard time seeing myself being as mind-blown by future installments, but I'd love to be proven wrong.

I don't like criticising a movie that focuses on character development in an earnest way as this did, especially after the Bay movies. I guess I got a bit tired at a certain point. I think when that boy-next-door love interest was introduced and it got really hokey. A lot was put on those two leads, especially since Bumblebee doesn't talk. But it is a well-crafted movie and I could see it as an antidote to what they have done to Transformers in the past.

My problem with the series in the past was that they always focused much more on the humans than the Transformers. They are still doing it here, albeit in a more thoughtful and serious way. But it was still focusing a lot on the humans. But kudos if they continue to inject more of this approach to the Transformers themselves.

I don't like criticising a movie that focuses on character development in an earnest way as this did, especially after the Bay movies. I guess I got a bit tired at a certain point. I think when that boy-next-door love interest was introduced and it got really hokey. A lot was put on those two leads, especially since Bumblebee doesn't talk. But it is a well-crafted movie and I could see it as an antidote to what they have done to Transformers in the past.

My problem with the series in the past was that they always focused much more on the humans than the Transformers. They are still doing it here, albeit in a more thoughtful and serious way. But it was still focusing a lot on the humans. But kudos if they continue to inject more of this approach to the Transformers themselves.

I've heard other people say they didn't like the boyfriend character either. I suppose I get that. Having rewatched the movie about a week ago, I'll admit some of the human stuff probably could have been trimmed down, maybe by a few minutes. I actually liked that stuff, but it could have been a bit more streamlined. I don't think Bumblebee was supposed to be the "definitive Transformers movie", it was a course correction that was attempting to inject more character and integrity into the series. Supposedly the next one will be an Optimus/Bumblebee buddy adventure, so I'm hoping for a bit more focus on the robots. I'm excited to see what they'll do with the next big-budget ensemble movie, with Bay gone. There's supposedly a fully animated Cybertron movie happening, with only robots. I think Bumblebee is supposed to pave the way for this new era. It's a transitional movie, to an extent.

I got a big thrill in this movie near the beginning with the classic line "Decepticons, attack!" with the classic voice!

I didn't dislike it like I did The Last Knight, but I don't think it's great. I thought it was fine.

I didn't dislike it like I did The Last Knight, but I don't think it's great. I thought it was fine.

The Last Knight is the only Transformers movie I haven't seen. I just couldn't muster up the energy to do so. So I am glad they switched gears at least.

It's funny with The Last Knight, I hated it upon first viewing and it took me a long time to own it on blu ray. I eventually got them all on BD and have re-watched TLK a few times and it's grown on me each time.

The opening Cybertron scene definitely

It's funny with The Last Knight, I hated it upon first viewing and it took me a long time to own it on blu ray. I eventually got them all on BD and have re-watched TLK a few times and it's grown on me each time.

TLK is definitely better than people give it credit for. It's not a genius movie, but I feel like it has more entertainment value than the first two sequels (ROTF and DOTM), at least.

TLK is definitely better than people give it credit for. It's not a genius movie, but I feel like it has more entertainment value than the first two sequels (ROTF and DOTM), at least.

Not sure where I would place it but even as a fan of these movies I hated it upon first viewing. But it has grown on me a hell of a lot since. I do think Quintessa is one of the franchises better villains also.

Not sure where I would place it but even as a fan of these movies I hated it upon first viewing. But it has grown on me a hell of a lot since. I do think Quintessa is one of the franchises better villains also.

I'd probably rank them (in terms of enjoyment, not technical quality):

Bumblebee
Last Knight
Age of Extinction
Revenge of the Fallen
Dark of the Moon

I'm really not a fan of the first trilogy movies, they feel too samey to me. I also don't like Shia (beyond the first movie, he's fine in that one). The Shia movies feel like generic action movies, while the Wahlberg ones (and Bumblebee) feel more like sci-fi adventures. I'm going to watch them all again later in summer, my ranking could change a bit then.

I like the Quintessa and 'evil' Optimus subplot in TLK. I also really like the opening 20 minutes or so, with the Autobots hiding out at the junkyard, and going on rescue missions and all. That stuff was great, I wish the whole movie was like that. It kind of takes a nosedive for me once Cade goes to Burton's castle. That portion should have been shortened a lot, and they should have given the Autobots something to do while that was going on instead of just sitting around (quite literally). Then the movie really takes a nosedive during the submarine sequence. I would literally rather watch the Autobots sit around doing nothing than that, lol. Again, it could have really been cut down. Thankfully the end battle picks up, and is one of the more entertaining battles in the series.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"