• We experienced a brief downtime due to a Xenforo server configuration update. This was an attempt to limit bot traffic. They have rolled back and the site is now operating normally. Apologies for the inconvinience.

The Amazing Spider-Man Ultimate Spiderman Cartoon Coming

saiyanaida

Civilian
Reaction score
This Foreshadows the reboot

For months, fans of Marvel Comics web-slinging wonder have been curious as to what the small screen potential would be for Spider-Man since Sony relinquished rights back to Marvel for animated and television adaptations of the iconic superhero. Would the Sony-produced "Spectacular Spider-Man" somehow get a third season? Would the character be rested while Marvel geared up their big "Avengers" push?

Today, the answer came in the form of "Ultimate Spider-Man" – a new animated series produced by Marvel and set to debut in the fall of 2011 on cable channel Disney XD. Word first hit as part of the MIPTV conference currently being held for TV executives before Marvel made the show official by releasing a teaser image on their website.

"'Ultimate Spider-Man' will be a unique journey exploring our favorite web-slinger as he teams up with other fan favorite Marvel Super Heroes in never before seen stories with a new life filled with great challenges, new friends, intense action and character growth," Eric S. Rollman, the President of Marvel Animation explained in the release.

And for fans wondering how close this new series would hold to Brian Michael Bendis' long-running comic series of the same name, the writer held court in a series of posts on his Twitter page saying, " don't have much usm cartoon news. not involved with it at the moment. working on powers tv and fire movie for universal – and comics, but I do know the pitch and it sounds pretty, pretty , pretty cool.

"[If] you want to see some USM cartoon stuff with me and bagley's finger prints on them, check out the USM VG from a few years back."

In the image released by Marvel, several character familiar to the readers of Bendis' comic are visible including Ultimate Nick Fury, Nova (who may or may not be the Ultimate Rick Jones under that helmet), Iron Fist and the new super alter ego for Mary Jane Watson recently seen in "Ultimate Comics Spider-Man." Villains such as the Green Goblin and Doctor Octopus are also visible.

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=25709

I wish they just kept making the SSM-cartoon instead! :(

Seriously! This happens ALL THE TIME with Spider-Man cartoons. :cmad: They always get cancelled before you get to see more. Spider-Man TAS could have gone on much longer. Same with MTV Spider-Man. Now Spectacular Spider-Man is gone.
I don't expect this new one to last either, to be honest.
I wasn't a dedicated fan of SSM, but this makes me mad.
SSM did a lot of things really really well as far as how he and his world should be represented outside of the comic format.

Last edited:
Why start up a new Spider-Man cartoon so soon after SSM?

And wasn't the MTV Spider-Man show based on Ultimate SM, wasn't Bendis executive producer?

Why start up a new Spider-Man cartoon so soon after SSM?

And wasn't the MTV Spider-Man show based on Ultimate SM, wasn't Bendis executive producer?
It was originally going to be, but the movie came out and made butt loads of money, so they decided to model it after the movie.

Whoever said it's going to be like Super Hero Squad?

Yeah, I'm tired of Spider-Man series getting canceled too soon, without giving them an opportunity to really flesh out some great ideas. :(

I look forward to the day they bring back a Live action TV series about Spider-Man, now that they have the ability to do the CGI/effects cheaper and better than in the past.

I think that will have a much longer shelf life than the cartoons have had.

I would love a Ben Reilly live-action series more than a Peter Parker one though.

It's a shame when cartoons like BEN-10 and TEEN TITANS can out last Spider-Man as an animated series. Spider-Man just can't seem to catch a break.

Last edited:
SSM didn't even get to reach its peak and now its over. I knew the writing was on the wall months ago for SSM. It truly was a great show and will be missed.

That's a real shame. Spectacular Spider-Man was a brilliantly written and voice acted show. It honestly captured more the spirit of classic Spidey and the characters better than not only any other cartoon series before it, but it also quite easily surpassed the movies, the Ultimate comic book series and anything Marvel has done in the main titles for the last 5 years.

To be cut short is a real shame. Especially since it is going to be replaced with likely an inferior show based on an inferior premise--Ultimate Spider-Man. Really it is too bad. I guess just out of longevity (5 seasons), TAS remains the main Spidey cartoon. Too bad as SSM was shaping up to be to Spidey what TAS was to Batman. Oh well.

Let the damn show go already, three times in not the charm for Spider-Man, if only the stopped at the second movie like they did the second season.

You SSM fans need to let it go, and with all due respect, realize SSM was a horrible show, that bombed in ratings

^I have let it go, but the show was far from horrible. This was the best Spider-man show to date. Low ratings does not equal crap. Great shows get cancelled all the time.

You SSM fans need to let it go, and with all due respect, realize SSM was a horrible show, that bombed in ratings

Wrong. The ratings were higher than STAS. The show you claim is the best one.

Nice try troll.

Last edited:
©KAW;18258200 said:
It's a shame when cartoons like BEN-10 and TEEN TITANS can out last Spider-Man as an animated series. Spider-Man just can't seem to catch a break.

Bigger networks, better timeslots. If Spectacular Spider-Man had debuted on Toonami or something, we'd be seeing new episodes today.

hmm

well, I seem to recall that a lot of fans thought that the MTV Spider-Man CG series was indicative of what Spider-Man 2 was going to offer but that was not the case.

Animated and live action should exist as separate entities IMO. It seems to hurt the story arcs when an animated series is geared to tie into a movie premiere

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hannnnman
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"