• We experienced a brief downtime due to a Xenforo server configuration update. This was an attempt to limit bot traffic. They have rolled back and the site is now operating normally. Apologies for the inconvinience.

Up to 200 "superheroes" are currently operating in the US

I'm included in the 200, and its pretty sweet. I've got the power to manipulate. :up:

I'm not mocking the volunteers, but clearly most of these people are arming themselves with weapons for confrontation. I mean it's one thing to dress up as "Sexual Harassment Panda" and go around spreading awareness. It's another thing to patrol the west end in your Jetta dressed up like Kato from the Green Hornet. It seems most of these people in the article want to live out some fantasical superhero battle in reality.

I didn't get that at all: "Some choose mundane tasks—The Cleanser strolls around picking up trash, while Direction Man helps lost tourists find where they're going. Most Reals also lend their personages to charities, donating to food banks or organizing clothing drives."

Yes - there are SOME crazies there. And, as I said, they should be stopped. It seems, however, that most are in it to help in any way they can.

He went into work early, snuck into the watch-monger's office to locate the stash of counterfeit merchandise, and then dropped a dime to Crimestoppers. Ultimately, police wouldn't prosecute unless The Eye revealed his secret identity—a concession he was unwilling to make—but he nonetheless chalks it up as a victory. "We stopped him from doing this," The Eye says. "He knows someone's watching."

^^^ Thats why nothing will get accomplished the RIGHT way.

The media can be even less charitable, as Captain Jackson, a gray-and-yellow-suited hero from Michigan, discovered in October 2005. That's when a headline appeared in the Jackson Citizen Patriot that could've been penned by J. Jonah Jameson himself: "Crime Fighter Busted for Drunk Driving." The article unmasked Captain Jackson as Thomas Frankini, a 49-year-old factory worker who'd been arrested for driving with a blood-alcohol level of 0.135 percent. The story was picked up by the Detroit Free Press and Fox News. Frankini was devastated. "My patrol days are over, I'm afraid," he said.

^^ LMAO! I'm still laughing at this one.

Bernard, a sharp-featured, 33-year-old police detective from suburban Philadelphia who asked that his last name be withheld, has become something of a rabbi to the online community of Reals. When he first stumbled upon the phenomenon, he thought, "These people are nuts." But as he learned more, he saw how the costumed do-gooders could make a difference. "They're definitely committed, and their heart is in the right place."

QFT :up:

"I horse-****ted myself into thinking I was being a symbol for people and all that," Superhero says. "But then I just faced the truth and admitted I do it 'cause it's hella fun."

^^ And that right there ladies and gentlemen is the truth of why these ppl do what they do. Not because they're "******ed", but because they are having fun doing it. I cant judge somebody by the actions they are taking. I still have yet to see one of these "reals" on the news for assault or something similar (and these people have been doing this for a few years now).

I dont know about you guys but I already have my costume of choice:

tick1.jpg

Superheroes are pansies.

I'd play vigilante for a night..but only if I didn't value the life of myself and the people I'd be protecting. Why? Because the katana would be my weapon of choice. Oh look, the thugs got AK-47's. Thinks to self *Remember Master Tarantino's training*.

Outcome:

Thug 1: Teh Kill Bill lollizard.

Thug 1's AK-47: *blat-blat-blat*

Me: X_X

Being a vigilante is not the same as being a superhero.

I didn't get that at all: "Some choose mundane tasks—The Cleanser strolls around picking up trash, while Direction Man helps lost tourists find where they're going. Most Reals also lend their personages to charities, donating to food banks or organizing clothing drives."
Well, that again, is not really the same thing as an organized effort. Going around and giving directions. I've done that. A girl asked me to open a jar for her today, did I need a costume to do it? Fact is these guys seem to be split into two groups. Those who look for trouble, like Citizen Prime who claimed to patrol through bad neighborhoods reporting suspicious behavior (again - a job for the police). Then there is those who chose mundane tasks, ultimately that are harmless, and make them more about calling attention to themselves. If your "persona" is the persona of some charity or business you've set up then that's advertising, and the real help you provide is through the charity itself not the costumed promotion device. I have a friend who runs a designated driving service, and we have a mascot called Safe Rider. Safe Rider however does not actually drive people, he just holds signs and passes out fliers: advertising.

If you stroll up to a can donation center though, just yourself, donating cans and you feel the compelling need to do it in a costume then sadly, I'm going to call you a jacka$$. My two racist neighbors donate their time at every food drive done through their church, but they don't dust off the old Batman and Robin suits to do it. If you feel the need to do good and help others, kudos. If you feel the need to do good and help others, but you think the way to do it is dressing up in a costume -- go f--- yourself. You're calling attention to yourself while many other selfless citizens would do the same without trying to make a spectacle of themselves while doing it.

why go in a costume? work behind the scenes and do your volunteer work... that's how I end up working at the community center and help with habitat for humanity every other weekend for several hours... just do it on your own steam with no damn costume... wtf is up with these costumes

they're just going to get their asses kicked, regardless of whether or not they're doing even just volunteer work... people won't take them seriously if they're trying to build a home for a family.. hell they'll probably be limited in terms of range of motion in their crap costumes

many of these folks need a serious shot of olanzapine

Once I bulk up, train for a few years, get enough money to buy some gadgets and armor, I shall become a superhero. :brucebat:

I seriously cant wait to see some nut ball who thinks he's a supervillain kill one of these morons families. Maybe that'll cause these idiots to wake the f**k up and start living in the real world.

They're not hurting anyone. It makes them happy. They can do whataver they want. Who gives a ****?

They're not hurting anyone. It makes them happy. They can do whataver they want. Who gives a ****?

Morons that hide behind their screens and illusions of grandeur on the internet. I bet most of these naysayers spend their days getting high, playing on their top of the line consoles and chatting all day on the newest brand of cellphone...pffft!

Funny how they complain about people like these yet they spend most their days on a website called SuperheroHype. Pathetic really! :whatever:

Morons that hide behind their screens and illusions of grandeur on the internet. I bet most of these naysayers spend their days getting high, playing on their top of the line consoles and chatting all day on the newest brand of cellphone...pffft!

Funny how they complain about people like these yet they spend most their days on a website called SuperheroHype. Pathetic really! :whatever:

:up:

err..wait, Im on SHH daily. :(

LOL^

It's only meant to go to those naysayers who complain about everything that's not "cool" and done like they would.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"