V For Vendetta Box Office Tracking Thread

TheVileOne said:
Wrong wrong wrong. They advertised it tons and even used some of the same techniques as Sony did with Spider-man 2.

It's simply that they underestimated the stink of Batman and Robin and how uphill it was for the movie to overcome it. Not just that but CINO as well.

I can hardly blame people for not trusting Hollywood after crap like Batman and Robin. And releasing the movie LESS THAN A YEAR after Catwoman.

I agree that they advertised it. But they didn't advertise it like ROTS, CINO, or even Spider-Man 2 for instance. Granted there was a ten minute preview and a few tv spots here and there. WB pretty much counted on the ability of word of mouth in hopes it would generate interest.

But they really didn't advertise it as strongly as the other movies.

I blame people for not being able to set aside Batman and Robin and CINO. They could've seen it was a totally different movie, more faithful to the material, and actually had a great director with a great case.

CINO was crap even with the previews. :)

LastSunrise1981 said:
I agree that they advertised it. But they didn't advertise it like ROTS, CINO, or even Spider-Man 2 for instance. Granted there was a ten minute preview and a few tv spots here and there. WB pretty much counted on the ability of word of mouth in hopes it would generate interest.

Wrong. They released a teaser trailer a year ahead of time. And trailers were showing in theatres as early as Nov./December.

CINO didn't have anything like that.

Not to mention the numerous merchandising and ancillary markets, that CINO didn't have.

And what you fail to realize, what made the movie successful WAS word of mouth. That's where it made tons of money.

But they really didn't advertise it as strongly as the other movies.

Yes they did. It came out in a crowded summer movie season, and people were still in disbelief after Batman and Robin and CINO.

I blame people for not being able to set aside Batman and Robin and CINO. They could've seen it was a totally different movie, more faithful to the material, and actually had a great director with a great case.

To us of course it did. But not for the general moviegoing public. Plus its a very dark, serious, and scary movie. Some parents are going to be discouraged to taking their kids to see it. It's not as quite a broad a family film like Spider-man 2 or The Incredibles.

CINO was crap even with the previews. :)

Yes and WB made it. And released Batman Begins less than a year after they had the unmitigated gall to peddle that crap and further drag the reputation of the Batman franchise in the mud. Of course people will still be skeptical.

TheVileOne said:
Wrong. They released a teaser trailer a year ahead of time. And trailers were showing in theatres as early as Nov./December.

CINO didn't have anything like that.

Not to mention the numerous merchandising and ancillary markets, that CINO didn't have.

And what you fail to realize, what made the movie successful WAS word of mouth. That's where it made tons of money.

Yes they did. It came out in a crowded summer movie season, and people were still in disbelief after Batman and Robin and CINO.

To us of course it did. But not for the general moviegoing public. Plus its a very dark, serious, and scary movie. Some parents are going to be discouraged to taking their kids to see it. It's not as quite a broad a family film like Spider-man 2 or The Incredibles.

Yes and WB made it. And released Batman Begins less than a year after they had the unmitigated gall to peddle that crap and further drag the reputation of the Batman franchise in the mud. Of course people will still be skeptical.

I know trailers of BB was in theatres. But I meant as in tv spots for the film, as they really didn't materialize until after the movie was released.

You have a good point about the source material of BB. I definitely say screw the kids and continue with the darkness of it. :up:

But seriously Vile, people couldn't see the difference between BB and Batman and Robin? Or CINO for instance? I mean BB had Christian Bale, Michael Caine, Morgan Freeman, Liam Neeson, Gary Oldman, Ken Watanabe(spelling?), and Katie Holmes. Two of those actors are Oscar winners, Liam Neeson and Ken Watanabe are Oscar Nominated, and Katie Holmes was and is a very well known TV actress with Dawson's Creek.

They couldn't see the better product, better director, and actors? I also feel that TomKat debacle didn't help BB either.

LastSunrise1981 said:
I know trailers of BB was in theatres. But I meant as in tv spots for the film, as they really didn't materialize until after the movie was released.

I saw plenty of TV spots.

You have a good point about the source material of BB. I definitely say screw the kids and continue with the darkness of it. :up:

Eh whatever, I saw plenty of kids the multiple times I saw it. I'm just saying, it doesn't play as broad as a Spider-man film.

But seriously Vile, people couldn't see the difference between BB and Batman and Robin? Or CINO for instance? I mean BB had Christian Bale, Michael Caine, Morgan Freeman, Liam Neeson, Gary Oldman, Ken Watanabe(spelling?), and Katie Holmes. Two of those actors are Oscar winners, Liam Neeson and Ken Watanabe are Oscar Nominated, and Katie Holmes was and is a very well known TV actress with Dawson's Creek.

So? George Clooney just won an Academy Award. Uma Thurman was already a legitimate actress.

Director Joel Schumacher did some very critically lauded and successful films as well.

Also, people were turned off from Katie Holmes because of you know what.

It's not about seeing the difference LastSunrise, its about not trusting WB and rightfully so after CINO and Batman and Robin. Trailers have been misleading before.

They couldn't see the better product, better director, and actors? I also feel that TomKat debacle didn't help BB either.

Dude, how many movies have a huge, legitimate cast and great filmmakers and bomb or just suck? It happens. Nolan's not a James Cameron type. He wasn't exactly an A-lister before Batman.

TheVileOne said:
I saw plenty of TV spots.

Eh whatever, I saw plenty of kids the multiple times I saw it. I'm just saying, it doesn't play as broad as a Spider-man film.

So? George Clooney just won an Academy Award. Uma Thurman was already a legitimate actress.

Director Joel Schumacher did some very critically lauded and successful films as well.

Also, people were turned off from Katie Holmes because of you know what.

It's not about seeing the difference LastSunrise, its about not trusting WB and rightfully so after CINO and Batman and Robin. Trailers have been misleading before.

Dude, how many movies have a huge, legitimate cast and great filmmakers and bomb or just suck? It happens. Nolan's not a James Cameron type. He wasn't exactly an A-lister before Batman.

With Batman and Robin they got actors and actresses who were hot at the time. Granted they all were legitimate actors and had previous work, but they were popular in their own way.

Well as I said, if they couldn't seperate CINO from Batman Begins, then it doesn't say much about their intelligence. But that's just my view on the entire concept.

LastSunrise1981 said:
With Batman and Robin they got actors and actresses who were hot at the time. Granted they all were legitimate actors and had previous work, but they were popular in their own way.

You mean like . . . Katie Holmes and Ken Watanabe? Watanabe seemed like he was cast because of Last Samurai more than anything else.

Well as I said, if they couldn't seperate CINO from Batman Begins, then it doesn't say much about their intelligence. But that's just my view on the entire concept.

You keep misinterpreting. Catwoman came from Batman. Catwoman is a Batman character. Warner Brothers releases Catwoman in 2004. That's not exactly a smart move on their part to usher in a new Batman franchise. Nor does it help erase the memory of Batman and Robin.

Stop bashing the intelligence of moviegoers and start bashing the intelligence of executives that produce abortions and allow things like CINO to happen.

TheVileOne said:
You mean like . . . Katie Holmes and Ken Watanabe? Watanabe seemed like he was cast because of Last Samurai more than anything else.

You keep misinterpreting. Catwoman came from Batman. Catwoman is a Batman character. Warner Brothers releases Catwoman in 2004. That's not exactly a smart move on their part to usher in a new Batman franchise. Nor does it help erase the memory of Batman Begins.

Stop bashing the intelligence of moviegoers and start bashing the intelligence of executives that produce abortions and allow things like CINO to happen.

I don't misunderstand at all. I understand Catwoman came from Batman and some were apprehensive, but if they couldn't seperate CINO from Batman Begins then it's their own stupidity and fault.

Oh, I'm not letting WB off the hook by any long shot. They really messed up when it came to CINO and felt the need to make it anyways. For that alone they definitely couldn't have been trusted, but if people can't make up their own minds or see how CINO and BB were two different entities, then they're really shallow and stupid to an extent.

I understand you have some who didn't want to see BB period. But there were some who were, and are closed minded, stuck up, and couldn't let go of the fact that it was a new beginning and this new beginning didn't involve Michael Keaton.

LastSunrise1981 said:
I don't misunderstand at all. I understand Catwoman came from Batman and some were apprehensive, but if they couldn't seperate CINO from Batman Begins then it's their own stupidity and fault.

It's not about separation. It's about skepticism that WB is still doing their BS crap to Batman with CINO. It's not stupidity at all. And it's easy to say since we're comic book fans and we know a lot more than general moviegoers do. Well about the movies and the comics.

Oh, I'm not letting WB off the hook by any long shot. They really messed up when it came to CINO and felt the need to make it anyways. For that alone they definitely couldn't have been trusted, but if people can't make up their own minds or see how CINO and BB were two different entities, then they're really shallow and stupid to an extent.

They did though. Word of mouth got out and the movie still did well despite all that.

I understand you have some who didn't want to see BB period. But there were some who were, and are closed minded, stuck up, and couldn't let go of the fact that it was a new beginning and this new beginning didn't involve Michael Keaton.

I don't think that's stuck up. The original is still a classic in many people's minds. The phenomenon of the original was lightning in a bottle really, its not something that happens often and you can just recreate with a new movie.

I think that Batman Begins boxoffice is only disappointing to over hyped fan boys and b.o predictors and studio folk. I don't think that BB ever had a shot at 300mil, because it was too dark and it didn't have one big b.o draw (it has well known actors who don't bring people to the theaters) and people didn't know what to expect. I also think that most movies that gross 300mil have to appeal to everybody and have lots of SFX, these days atleast. And like the X-Men films it felt like a teenage boy movie (thats not an insult) and it's realease date was a tough one.

There is alot more but I'm not going to get into it because other peoples post seem to cover it. I'm just going to say that despite all that, it was a success, it wasn't a huge one but WB is making another.

I SEE SPIDEY said:
I think that Batman Begins boxoffice is only disappointing to over hyped fan boys and b.o predictors and studio folk. I don't think that BB ever had a shot at 300mil, because it was too dark and it didn't have one big b.o draw (it has well known actors who don't bring people to the theaters) and people didn't know what to expect. I also think that most movies that gross 300mil have to appeal to everybody and have lots of SFX, these days atleast. And like the X-Men films it felt like a teenage boy movie (thats not an insult) and it's realease date was a tough one.

There is alot more but I'm not going to get into it because other peoples post seem to cover it. I'm just going to say that despite all that, it was a success, it wasn't a huge one but WB is making another.

Exactly, some fans were expecting Spider-Man like numbers and that wasn´t going to happen. The BO was good and the movie did quite well on DVD sales, the eighth top-selling title of 2005. If WB had been disappointed, they wouldn´t be so active with the sequel. Nolan and Goyer made a treatment, Nolan´s brother Jonathan - who co-wrote Memento - is penning it as we speak and every skinny actor with a pointy chin in Hollywood is lobbying his butt off to play Joker. That´s a lot more than you can say for sequels for Hulk, Daredevil, Punisher...

V is close to making two and a half/three times its production budget worldwide, that´s enough to account marketing costs and exhibitors´share. It will more or less break even and make a very nice profit on DVD sales and rentals and TV deals.

If anyone is saying BB had just as good advertising as Spider-man, then I would have to say you're sorely mistaken. I know in my area, most people didn't even know a Batman movie was being released until it actually came out, and then many of my friends didn't see it. BB may have realeased a trailer earlier, but I barley saw it advertised on tv. Maybe it was different in other areas, but around here, it sure didn't look like much effort was being put into advertising.

Infinity9999x said:
If anyone is saying BB had just as good advertising as Spider-man, then I would have to say you're sorely mistaken. I know in my area, most people didn't even know a Batman movie was being released until it actually came out, and then many of my friends didn't see it. BB may have realeased a trailer earlier, but I barley saw it advertised on tv. Maybe it was different in other areas, but around here, it sure didn't look like much effort was being put into advertising.

Agreed. I rarely saw commercials for Vendetta or Begins. But, I used to see Spiderman, Ultra Violet, and Aeon Flux adverts EVERYWHERE. The only time I saw a pletora of ads? During the Olympics you would see 1-2 ads a night promoting the film. I think I saw 2 ads the week leading up to Vendetta's release.

Maybe I'm watching the wrong channels? I usually am watching ESPN, ESPNEWS, Science Channel, History Channel, Network TV, USA and TBS.

I think it just depends on the channels you watch, because some people swear to it that they saw a ton of marketing for V for Vendetta, and I swear the opposite.

ThreeOfAKind said:
Maybe I'm watching the wrong channels? I usually am watching ESPN, ESPNEWS, Science Channel, History Channel, Network TV, USA and TBS.

I think it just depends on the channels you watch, because some people swear to it that they saw a ton of marketing for V for Vendetta, and I swear the opposite.

Espn and TBS are normally the two channels that have the most, but like you I didnt see but one.

Infinity9999x said:

Of course it wasn't as good as Spider-man. I'm not just subscribing to this perception that Warner Bros. didn't advertise it at all or advertised poorly.

So what if you saw Aeon Flux TV spots everywhere? The movie still bombed. Paramount withheld the movie from press screenings. That's an automatic indicator to moviegoers that the movie is garbage.

I'm going to pwoof in from nowhere, and just say that V for Vendetta is the most fantastic movie I've seen in quite some time. It is so snazzy, that there is absolutely nothing I would change about it. Nothing. (And that is rare for me to say of a non-Tim Burton or Sam Raimi flick.)

But I can also see why a lot of people don't and/or wouldn't like it. And that's the point, kinda--that people are allowed to think and feel what they want. But for me, it was pure giddiness. ::points to the screen and nods:: Yep. Got everything right on this one.

(Mind you, I'm a horrible person, and haven't read the book--yet. I feel like I've let myself down, for having not done so. To the bookstore!)

Aah! I didn't insert the pointy-out tounge. But apparently the characters I typed, did. Sorry. (I detest the smilies, and would never use them intentionally.)

I would have thought this movie would have had a bigger audience both here and aborad, but I guess it is not to be.

Odd to me that Consntantine did so well over seas, and even SIn City generated far more money then this....argualbly a well done political movie

The boxoffice is now:
Domestic: $69,208,178 56.7%
+ Foreign: $52,800,000 43.3%
= Worldwide: $122,008,178
Not that bad.

V For Vendetta was released over here about a month ago. I have to say I didn't expect to like it as much as I did. People here perceived it pretty well and liked it very much.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"