Box Office Thread

Reaction score

In comparison, The Marvels made 110M WW during its opening weekend which included 11.7M from China and 46M domestic. So The Marvels made approximately 52M in foreign markets excluding China and Aquaman 2 made approximately 49.6M from foreign markets excluding China.

If Aquaman's legs collapse domestically then we could see a scenario where The Marvels and Aquaman finish more or less in the same range with Aquaman making more in China and less in North America. Of course, holidays should help Aquaman's domestic legs so I'm thinking Aquaman comes out on top in the end.

Last edited:

Legs not looking good right now, every day came in lower than expected.

This and The Marvels had unfortunate boX office results. A successor to a 1st solo film that grossed over a billion worldwide and 300 million plus in North America. I would think a superhero with a film that grossed over a billion would instantly guarantee a trilogy. Yet here we are in 2023, seeing these disastrous numbers.

Both Captain Marvel and Aquaman joined the ranks of Fantastic 4 (2000s), Ghost Rider, Amazing Spider-Man, Wonder Woman and Shazam! as two and done. Even if DCEU wasn't ending and it performed similarly to this, it wouldn't get a sequel.

I was fully expecting this to crater like Shazam 2 and Flash, yet here we are with the dawn of a new year fresh in our eyes and Lost Kingdom has…$269m WW?

No lie, if you would have have offered me an over/under of 250 WW for its total box office run two weeks ago, I would have taken the under.

Make no mistake it’s still a huge disappointment, but it looks like it’s in good shape for 350+ and it has an outside shot at shaking hands with 400. I did not see that coming. So, half a cheer for Lost Kingdom, I guess.

Last edited:
Even if DCEU wasn't ending and it performed similarly to this, it wouldn't get a sequel.
I dunno, it just might have. The thing is, the first one made 800m OS and Lost Kingdom is on course to be the DCEU’s top overseas grosser since (that mark is currently held by Black Adam at 225m). At a time when Hollywood studios are desperate for films that appeal to an international audience, because that’s where the growth is, just abandoning an IP that’s made you around 1.1 billion OS in two outings is not a slam dunk. Of course, it’s all academic now.

Considering the bad reviews and troubled production, those are good numbers. It’s nice they didn’t burn the place down on the way out. At least it makes it easier to reboot sooner

At the time, Ant-Man 3 and Black Adam were considered big BO disappointments (@ $475M and $390M, respectively). However, we didn’t know that things would get much worse. :csad: Then came The Flash, Blue Beetle, The Marvels and Aquaman 2. No doubt, the filmmakers of those titles would happily settle for Ant-Man 3 numbers.

But not so fast. It’s now looking like Aquaman 2 is doing decent holiday business — and might end up being... a less disappointing disappointment.

Per Comicbook.com, the Aquaman sequel earned $272.7 million in global ticket sales, surpassing The Flash's tally of $270.6 million worldwide during its 10-week theatrical run. Of the 15 DCEU films released, The Lost Kingdom ranks 9th, with 2019's Shazam! next in line for the Aquaman follow-up at $363.5 million.

I dunno, it just might have. The thing is, the first one made 800m OS and Lost Kingdom is on course to be the DCEU’s top overseas grosser since (that mark is currently held by Black Adam at 225m). At a time when Hollywood studios are desperate for films that appeal to an international audience, because that’s where the growth is, just abandoning an IP that’s made you around 1.1 billion OS in two outings is not a slam dunk. Of course, it’s all academic now.
85 million domestic and 258 million worldwide after 12 days and the holidays?

WB is the same studio that recently put Fantastic Beasts on Ice and the last movie for that earned more than this (400 million worldwide).

Lets see if Aquaman doesn't drop like a rock the neXt weekend. Aquaman 3 is likely to cost a lot of money, and with current WBD regime, if DCEU wasn't ending, they would have looked at cheaper options or more marketable projects such as Batman, rather than an Aquaman 3.

85 million domestic and 258 million worldwide after 12 days and the holidays?

WB is the same studio that recently put Fantastic Beasts on Ice and the last movie for that earned more than this (400 million worldwide).

Lets see if Aquaman doesn't drop like a rock the neXt weekend. Aquaman 3 is likely to cost a lot of money, and with current WBD regime, if DCEU wasn't ending, they would have looked at cheaper options or more marketable projects such as Batman, rather than an Aquaman 3.
Well, I’m not sure the box office was why more FB films got shelved. When the author of your big IP becomes the world’s leading transphobe, it might be a good idea to pause.

I’m curious about legs on just about everything out right now. The only sure bet for good ones seems to be Anyone But You.

As reported by The Numbers, Aquaman and the Lost Kingdom has surpassed The Flash's total earnings in less than two weeks. On its fourteenth day in theaters, the Aquaman sequel has amassed over $274 million, whereas The Flash's 40-day theatrical run earned the Ezra Miller-led movie $266.5 million in total, according to The Numbers. Considering that Aquaman and the Lost Kingdom cost around $215 million, James Wan's DC film might be on track to break even, or even make a profit despite the DCEU's recent track record.

Well, I’m not sure the box office was why more FB films got shelved. When the author of your big IP becomes the world’s leading transphobe, it might be a good idea to pause.

I’m curious about legs on just about everything out right now. The only sure bet for good ones seems to be Anyone But You.
WBD is doing a Harry Potter show for MaX. Also Hogswarts Legacy (released by WB Games) was released last year and it was successful. I doubt they care if JK Rowling is attached or not. They are still making Harry Potter products not just in movies. If WBD were happy with Secrets of Dumbledore's boX office numbers, they would be making a sequel like they intended to.

Also, going back to the boX office of this film. Just because its outgrossing (or already outgrossed) The Flash, Blue Beetle, Shazam! 2 and The Marvels, it doesn't erase the fact that its still a flop. Aquaman 2 had the advantage of the holiday boost, yet Wonka and The Color Purple are earning bigger numbers in weekday grosses. And after Jan 2, it is still not cracking the $100 million mark in North America. To go from $1billion to maybe $350 million is a steep drop. WBD can't be happy with those numbers, to greenlit an Aquaman 3 (if Dceu wasn't ending in the first place).

Hollywood will work with the devil if it made them money.

If Fantastic Beasts 3 made a ton of money, they’d sure as hell continue.

Nice to see it over-performing. Will be the highest-grossing DCEU movie since the first Aquaman. And it will lose Warner only around 100M theatrically..

Much less of a disaster than originally feared. There was still some underlying strength left overseas.

Good news for comic book movies future. Aquaman 2 was supposed to be dead on arrival and WB didn’t really promote it and it will make 400 million. I see why DC is going to stay in the Momoa business with Lobo.

Aquaman has pulled in another $5.2 million at the domestic box office, while its total international haul is now up to $265 million. Combined with the money pulled in from previous weeks, the sequel now has a worldwide total of more than $373 million. While not guaranteed, the film is on track to reach the $400 million mark before officially ending its box office run.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"