Vampirella appreciation/news/reviews thread

Dynamite announce Vampirella spinoff series titled sacredsix. The new team book will be written by Christopher Priest, expanding on the world he’s been building recently in Vampirella.

Press release:

sacredsix Expands Christopher Priest’s Vampirella Universe!
New Ongoing Team Book With Jae Lee Coming in May

February 20, Mt. Laurel, NJ: Discover sacredsix, a new ongoing series this May as Christopher Priest expands his take on the wider Vampirella universe.

Enter: a tale of two towns in rural Georgia. One is Ashthorne, an impoverished farming town with a deadly secret. Otherwise known as “Vampire Valley,” most of its citizens are vampires and sundry other ghouls, though not by choice or blood. These once-human victims are now shunned by society in the open but live peacefully and just want to be left alone to live their lives in peace. Meanwhile, the bright and shiny Sacred is a recently “manufactured” community lorded over by staunch conservatives for the express purpose of oppressing and ultimately destroying Ashthorne’s residents. This tension will escalate as the series progresses, and instigate the arrival of the group of heroines…

Priest’s new take on the DRACULINA character, real name Victory, is joined by fellow Vampi vixens PANTHA, NYX, and the surprise inclusion of fellow conflicted vampire CHASTITY, of Chaos! fame. Led by LILITH of Drakulon, the Cersei Lannister of space vampires and recruited by her son DRAGO, mayor of Ashthorne. The sixth and final core member will be a surprise… The one and only Vampirella will make some appearances as well. These women will go undercover in the exclusive rarified air of Sacred as students and fight against injustice by night against THE SIX.

In a thematic mashup of True Blood and Sons of Anarchy, sacredsix is a multifaceted morality play and tale of two cities examining the conflict between human and inhuman, science and magic, agnosticism and faith, war and peace. Good and evil can be found all around, often coexisting. With this cast of complex characters with ever-shifting allegiances, anything can happen.

Christopher Priest is joined by artist Gabriel Ibarra (Graveland), colorist Mohan (Red Sonja) and letters from longtime Priest collaborator Willie Schubert (Deathstroke, Batman).

“I can see the headlines now: ‘Priest Returns To Black Panther!’ We are birthing a (literally) different animal and expansion of our version of the Vampirella shared universe,” said writer Christopher Priest.

Artist Gabriel Ibarra added, “This mix of characters in diverse situations can be a challenge, but I’m putting all my effort into every single page. To be working with a legend like Priest is hard to even describe. He has such a clear vision through his scripts and I’m grateful to be bringing them to the page. I’m excited for fans to see what we’re doing!”

Most exciting of all is that Jae Lee (Batman/Superman, Inhumans) will be doing interior pages for this series across the first five issues – a special sequence weaved into the main story recounting Pantha’s newly revamped origin story. Pantha is now fully feline by default and can transform into a human woman, rather than vice versa.

“Not many creators reach legendary status. Christopher Priest is a legend and I’m honored to be working with him and Dynamite,” said artist Jae Lee.

“Jae and I have made several attempts to develop something together,” added Priest. “I am totally psyched to have finally found the right project for us.”

A Who’s Who of top cover artists are tagging in for the big debut issue and subsequent ones. Jae Lee leads the pack. One of the hottest cover artists today, Lucio Parrillo (Vampirella, Dejah Thoris), focuses on Chastity, Draculina and Nyx. With fans skyrocketing her career and garnering acclaim for her Vampirella covers, Meghan Hetrick (X-Men/Fantastic Four) is a natural addition. Rod Reis (New Mutants) captures the power and sensuality of these women with a rooftop lineup. While the incredibly talented and versatile José Ladrönn (Cable, Final Incal) chips in. An incentive cover from Joseph Michael Linsner (Red Sonja, Dawn) showcases the women in schoolgirl outfits, and an Icon Incentive remasters definitive Pantha artist Mark Texeira’s (Ghost Rider, Wolverine) cover from Vampirella (2001) #8.

sacredsix #1 will be solicited in Diamond Comic Distributors’ March 2019 Previews catalog, the premier source of merchandise for the comic book specialty market, and slated for release in May 2020. Comic book fans are encouraged to preorder copies of the issue with their local comic book retailers. It will also be available for individual customer purchase through digital platforms courtesy of Comixology, Kindle, iBooks, Google Play, Dynamite Digital, ComicsPlus, and more!

Just finished the trade Dawn/Vampirella, which collects a five-issue mini-series from 2014/2015, written and drawn by Joseph Michael Linsner.

Dawn - goddess of birth and rebirth - and Vampirella find themselves kidnapped by a demon named Masodik, who demands that the two battle each other for the 'right' to be his bride. With neither gal impressed with any part of that suggestion, they instead suggest a storytelling contest, hoping to buy themselves time to form a plan and escape. But as the competition gets underway they find that the stories they tell have more connection with their current predicament than either of them realised. And as for the two of them working together, that's something easier said than done...

The last Vampirella story I read (Vampirella/Dejah Thoris -- reviewed above) was pure sci-fi; this one puts Vampi firmly in the realm of horror/fantasy. Demons/gods/reincarnated souls abound. Chapters take place in past, present, and future. Scenarios range from gothic to apocalyptic.

It's a shame then, that it doesn't quite work.

Seeing as how this was written and drawn by Linsner, I'll just come right out and say it... As an artist he's very good; as an ideas man he's very good. As a writer (here, at least) he's god-awful. Some reviewers have said the writing gets better as it goes along; I agree, but that's still damning with faint praise. The plot (once you can get into it - Jeez, the first chapter and a half are hard going) is actually pretty clever. So is the structure, something that only becomes apparent in the later stages. But the fine detail in the dialogue and pacing is seriously lacking. I won't spoil, but one chapter opens with a big, dramatic statement by Masodik that this is when things will be decided, once and for all! Only for him to get bored a couple of pages later and decide to do it tomorrow instead! Linsner was not the writer for this. He should have sat down with someone who could do it justice, explained his idea, and handed it off.

That said, there are a couple of things that do work. For anyone unfamiliar with Dawn (as I was), she is actually Linsner's own creation from the late 1980s, and he'd written her for a couple of publishers before bringing her to Dynamite. His introduction states it was never his intention to place her in any crossovers, something he stuck to right up until this one. You see, Linsner has been a fan of Vampirella since childhood, and when the opportunity came to have Dawn meet Vampi he couldn't pass it up. However, despite an understandable loyalty to his own creation, his treatment of the two leads is even-handed, with each getting their own moments to shine. An interesting aspect is that Dawn - like Vampirella - was originally created to be the host of a horror comic, introducing various other tales. Which makes it a nice touch when the two of them decide they'd rather take part in a storytelling contest. There's also a circular aspect to the tale which becomes clear once you reach the end. I can see there'll be something to be gained from a reread (although it won't be an improvement in writing).

The art (as I mentioned earlier) is very good. It's also unashamedly cheescakey at times (not in any way a criticism, just an observation). The two leads are suitably gorgeous and pneumatic, whilst the other character designs are strong, and at times downright disturbing. Buildings and landscapes are impressive, be they civilisations on far-distant planets, or Mad Max-style wastelands. I really can't fault the visuals of this at all.

If the writing lived up to the plot and artwork this would be an 8/10. As it is, it's a frustrating...

6/10

Just finished the Dynamite/Image crossover Hack/Slash vs Chaos!. Not going to review it here (enjoyable as it was) as Vampirella doesn't appear, but thought I'd mention that she does get name-checked - twice! Once by Cassie Hack, and once by her companion, Vlad (they refer to both Vampi's hotness and her skill as a warrior). Hack/Slash had its own Vampirella crossover a while back. When I've read that I'll post a review.

Recently finished the trade Vampirella vs Reanimator, collecting a four-issue mini-series from 2018/2019, written by Cullen Bunn and drawn by Blacky Shepherd.
Herbert West - the Reanimator - has long sought the secret to perfecting his reagent and break death's hold on mankind once and for all. The key to his success lies in only one place - the forbidden tomb of the Aztec god of death!

But disturbing sleeping gods is as troubling (to put it mildly) as raising the uncontrollable murderous dead... especially when this deity is an ancient enemy of Vampirella of Drakulon!

It's vampire versus mad scientist is a battle that threatens to tear the gates of the underworld asunder!

This is another of those 'out of main continuity' Vampirella team-ups, with changes made to Vampirella's backstory that are incompatible with any version of it we've had so far. Also, Vampirella and Herbert West have met before, in the 2012 Dynamite crossover Prophecy (reviewed above, Vampirella appreciation thread) where they fought as allies. In this tale it's clear that neither knows the other.

Cullen Bunn's writing is on the whole good. This being an out of continuity tale, he's able to give us a far more feral Vampirella than we've seen in a while. She's bloodthirsty and she's vicious. I like that side of her. We first meet her as she single-handedly slaughters a werewolf clan that's about to attack a high-school cheerleader type (of course!) walking alone at night. When the carnage (seriously, it's a blood bath) is over, she looks over the corpses, then bays at the moon herself in victory! It's a very cool introduction! The actual story is by both Bunn and Shepherd, and sets Vampirella against a god and a goddess of death (as well as some seriously creepy spider-creatures) who want to establish 'new Drakulon' on Earth. It's an interesting tale, but it feels very rushed. This would have benefited from at least one more issue, preferably two. The introductions, the battles, the climax, they all feel they're over too quickly. I'm guessing the length was dictated by TPTB at Dynamite. However, Bunn does well with the time that he has. Vampirella's no-nonsense, badass attitude makes entertaining reading. As for Herbert West, although I've read HP Lovecraft's original Herbert West--Reanimator, my only prior experience of Dynamite's version was the earlier mentioned Prophecy crossover. There, and here, he's a pretty spineless guy, which makes for some nice interaction between him and Vampirella. Talk about 'chalk and cheese'! Or maybe that should be 'chalk and cheese-cake'?? Which brings me to the artwork...

Yes, Vampi's form is fully on display (the red swimsuit features throughout!) but provocative poses are kept to a minimum; Shepherd's Vampirella has a leaner, more defined build than usual, and I guess the Playboy poses wouldn't really work. I wouldn't want her drawn this way all the time, but it fits with the more animal-like nature she shows here. I do, however, take issue with the way Shepherd draws her face. She may be more feral, but she should still be attractive (when she's not snarling, hissing, or chomping through werewolves). Here her face here looks like a female bodybuilder who's taken too many steroids. It doesn't look right.

But the most noticeable thing about Shepherd's artwork is that it's all in black and white, except for certain colours (red, yellow, and purple). It looks pretty stark. I'll be honest, when I first picked this up and flicked through it I hated the artwork. But as I read it it grew on me. Not to the point where I can honestly say I like it, but it works for the story.

Included is a variant cover gallery. Most are drawn/painted (by various artists) although there are some cosplay (one featuring model Ireland Reid is incredible - easily the best Vampirella I've seen).

Interesting concept, sadly rushed. Good writing, good overall story, okay art.

7/10

Literally just finished reading the 1997 DC/Harris one-shot crossover Catwoman/Vampirella, written by Chuck Dixon and drawn by Jim Balent.
Catwoman - a thief's thief, Selina Kyle is is framed for violent burglaries where the goods have a feline flair. She's sought by the police and...

Vampirella - not your everynight vampire. Entreated to defeat supernatural evil, she believes Catwoman is the villain she seeks, but...

... The deadly trail leads them to the Penguin and a terror neither can defeat!

These two make the cool of the Gotham night hotter than ever!

Okay, first things first... this is a cheesecake bonanza. There are boobs 'n' butts all over the place! Lets face it, a 90s Catwoman/Vampirella team-up was never going to feature 'sensible clothing' and modest behaviour!

Chuck Dixon's writing is pretty good. There's no elaborate plot or character depth, but this isn't about that. He simply tells an entertaining, fast-moving, action yarn, about a 'cat-woman' said to be committing cat-themed burglaries/robberies in Gotham City, and the Catwoman out to clear her name - very amply ably assisted by Vampirella. We get the inevitable fight between the two heroines at beginning (due to one of those convenient 'misunderstandings'), followed by the make-up and equally inevitable 'let's work on this together' moment. I did find some of the dialogue pretty corny, even for the time, but again that's not really what this book's about...

... This book is about the art! Two famously voluptuous heroines, fighting, leaping across rooftops, and generally contorting their bodies to look as hot as conceivably possible! Yes, Jim Balent most definitely dialed the cheesecake factor up to 11. It's unashamedly what you'd expect it to be. And in that regard I think most people buying this won't have felt shortchanged.

As far as continuity goes, I'm not sure what the situation is, tbh. Vampirella was with (the long-gone) Harris Comics at the time. DC was at the exact mid-point between Crisis on Infinite Earths and Infinite Crisis, and I have no idea if either company regarded this as canon to their regular output. I certainly don't remember it ever again being referenced by DC.

Sadly, it ends with a teased further team-up that never happened (keeping my fingers crossed that DC and Dynamite - where Vampi now resides - might finally put that right, after their Batman/Shadow team-up).

I will add that there is a very nice twist in the tale that I never saw coming - and I doubt if anybody else did either! Top marks for that, Chuck Dixon! :up:

No literary masterpiece, but a treat for the eyes.

7/10

Recently finished the trade Aliens/Vampirella, collecting the six-issue Dynamite/Dark Horse crossover from 2015/2016, written by Corinna Bechko and illustrated by Javier García-Miranda.
Humans have begun to colonize Mars, but something ancient and sinister got there first. Now Vampirella is faced with a mystery only she can solve, and the bloody realization that some monsters should never be awakened.

The human colonists unearth traces of a previous civilisation. Believing it to be evidence of former occupation by Nosferatu (an older race of vampires), the Weyland Corporation sends Vampirella as a special consultant to examine what's been found. Not anticipating staying long, she's soon shown around the site by a group from the base. However, when they come across a chamber containing rows of strange-looking pods, the group gets sealed in, the pods start to open... and you can probably guess what happens!

As far as the 'Aliens' side of things goes, there's not a lot new here. The whole thing has a strong Aliens vs Predator vibe, and there's a definite feeling of what I'll call 'familiarity', but in a less charitable mood I'd probably call 'unoriginal repetitiveness'. The increasing group tensions, treachery by a trusted co-worker, one-by-one deaths as hapless colonists get picked off by Xenomorphs; it's all what we expect. And the reason we expect it is because we've seen it so many times before.

The only spark of near-originality is the introduction of vampires (it's been done once previously, in Dark Horse's Buffy the Vampire Slayer: In Space No One Can Hear You Slay!). The Nosferatu are visually impressive (I think the 'crawlers' from Neil Marshall's 2005 movie The Descent might have served as photo-references). We get a glimpse of their backstory and their previous interactions with humans, although I'd like to have seen more. But Vampirella herself... isn't quite herself. She seems less aggressive, even when face-to-maw with a drooling Xenomorph. One thing you can normally count on Vampi doing when things gets tough is going full-on badass! Here - other than sprouting an impressively large pair of wings - her vampiric abilities don't really get much panel-time. Neither does her other pair of impressively large assets. Other than a quick glimpse early on (and on the various covers - included), the red bathing suit is absent, replaced by a standard-issue, Weyland Corporation neck-to-toe spacesuit.

Corinna Bechko's writing is okay. She tells the story clearly, and the pacing is good; but her dialogue is pretty 'cookie-cutter', and there's not really much substance to the characters. Javier García-Miranda's artwork on the other hand is very good. Be it Aliens, vampires, humans, or dimly-lit underground caverns, the panels have a real sense of depth. I wasn't over-keen on one or two of the human character designs, but by and large it's very nice to look at.

If asked what they thought a Vampirella/Alien crossover would be like, many would probably guess pretty much this. I was hoping the bar would be a bit higher.

Cool premise. Very well-drawn. Reasonably well written - but sadly, pretty predictable.

6.5/10

Dan Abnett to Crossover Project Superpowers, Red Sonja and Vampirella
Posted on July 12, 2020 | by Rich Johnston

Dynamite Entertainment unveils two action-packed, ambitious crossovers set to debut this fall and winter. First, legendary writer Dan Abnett (Guardians of the Galaxy) unveils the biggest Dynamite series since Swords of Sorrow. Two parallel series starring Red Sonja, Vampirella, and the Project Superpowers characters will converge into something even bigger!
While Declan Shalvey (Moon Knight) brings a deadly infection to all your favorites in DIE!namite!

Vampirella and Project Superpowers, my two favourite Dynamite properties. Cannot wait! :hmr:

The Art of Vampirella - The Warren Years (Dynamite)

Showcases artwork by such greats as Frank Frazetta, Bill Hughes, Larry Todd, Ken Kelly, Boris Vallejo, Pepe Gonzalez, Luis Dominguez, Lluís Ribas, Bob Larkin, and Esteban Maroto.

Vampirella Stars in a Standalone Scary Story Perfect for New Readers!
Priest & Madibek Musabekov Bring the Spooks This October

Press Release:

August 13, Mt. Laurel, NJ: Right in time for All Hallow's Eve, Christopher Priest and Vampirella tangle with ghosts in an issue that's perfect for new readers to jump right into and is inspired by the classic Warren era.

Snuggled between Priest's first epic cycle "Seduction of The Innocent," that spanned from issues #0-14, and his upcoming Year Two epic, this issue stands on its own in classic style. In this tale, the space-vampire "superhero" Vampirella has her secret identity of Ella Normandy outed on social media. A wide selection of deeply dysfunctional fans surface, as others further judge and debate her presence. Two of these fans claim to be ghosts and seek out Vampi's help to avenge their murders.

Madibek Musabekov joins Priest for this tale and flexes their artistic muscles with unique black and white interiors - splashed with red! This horror tale replicates the aesthetic and tone of the original magazine anthologies. Dynamite recommends pairing the issue with one's preferred Halloween candy for a great time - but don't get all the sugar and chocolate on the pages!

"Having just come off a fairly complex journey in our first arc, I thought, well, now that the innocent has been seduced, let’s pause a minute to catch our breath before launching into the next escalation of our Vampirella saga," said writer Christopher Priest. "Halloween is the best time for ghost stories, and I’ve personally not read one where Vampi teams up with any, so why not? New reader-friendly, 'Hypnagogia' draws us into a ghostly detective plot as Vampi contemplates what’s coming next for her now that she’s become America’s most famous vampire!"

VAMPIRELLA #15 is solicited in Diamond Comic Distributors’ August 2020 Previews catalog, the premier source of merchandise for the comic book specialty market, and slated for release in October 2020. Comic book fans are encouraged to preorder copies of the issue with their local comic book retailers. It will also be available for individual customer purchase through digital platforms courtesy of Comixology, Kindle, iBooks, Google Play, Dynamite Digital, ComicsPlus, and more!

Vampirella Taps Into Her Dark Powers in New Series!
Dan Abnett Brings His Crossover Expertise for Vampi's Biggest Ever!

Press Release:
September 24, Mt. Laurel, NJ: Could Vampirella Be a Superhero? Writer Dan Abnett kicks off an epic crossover with Project Superpowers to answer that question this December in VAMPIRELLA: THE DARK POWERS.

The Project, an interdimensional collective of superheroes, has found their newest potential recruit, and she's... Vampirella?! Faced with a whole new set of rules, will the Daughter of Drakulon be able to fit in with this crew of strait-laced and square-jawed men and women in spandex? In a tale with her biggest stakes yet, thousands of planets, billions of lives, and reality itself could be in Vampi's hands!

Dan Abnett brings a long legacy of "event" comics, interweaving titles, and team books to the table, with credits ranging from Guardians of the Galaxy/Nova/War of Kings/Thanos Imperative, Legion Lost/Legion Worlds/The Legion, Aquaman/Mera and much more. Fan-favorite works that have not only pushed the formal boundaries in comics, but also served as foundations for billion-dollar films. Artist Paul Davidson (Moon Knight, X-Factor) gets to draw the uneasy first steps of Vampi trying out the regimented capital S superhero lifestyle. He's joined by colorist Andrew Dalhouse and letterer Hassan Otsmane-Elhaou.

Dan Abnett shared, "This one will be an absolute blast. This is high-concept, pan-cosmic superheroes with a quite savage and dangerous character tied up in the heart of it. It’s going to be fun, it’s going to be different, it’s going to be a head-on genre clash... and it’s going to turn into an epic story!"

"I've been a Frank Frazetta fan since I was a boy," said artist Paul Davidson. "His 1969 painting of Vampirella blew my mind when I first saw it in the '80s and drawing Vampirella has always been on my bucket list. It's a thrill to be drawing comic book royalty."

For a series so titanic in scope, editor Nate Cosby called in all the big guns for a crop of stunning covers on this first issue. Fans get not one, but TWO covers by jazzy Jae Lee! Superstar sensation Peach Momoko depicts Vampi hanging with new teammate Miss Masque - who may not be so enthused by the new recruit. Joseph Michael Linsner depicts her amongst her new cosmic stomping grounds. Superpowers fans are going to love the covers by Junggeun Yoon and Kano, bringing classic group shots to the table. With crossovers on the mind, Will Robson homages the hall of fame cover to Amazing Spider-Man #1. A cosplay cover featuring Marissa Ramirez and one by interior artist Davidson round out the bunch.

What other Dynamite heroine could try out for The Project? And where could this crossover lead next? Tune in next month, same Dynamite time, same Dynamite place!

VAMPIRELLA: THE DARK POWERS #1 is solicited in Diamond Comic Distributors’ October 2020 Previews catalog, and slated for release in December 2020. Comic book fans are encouraged to preorder copies of the issue with their local comic book retailers. It will also be available for individual customer purchase through digital platforms courtesy of Comixology, Kindle, iBooks, Google Play, Dynamite Digital, ComicsPlus, and more!

Vampiric Vixens Clash in Vampirella vs. Purgatori
Writer Ray Fawkes Bites Into New Series

Press Release:
December 21, Mt. Laurel, NJ: When Vampirella and Purgatori cross paths, which vampiress will come out on top and will anyone around them survive? Dynamite reveals the legend in a new series debuting in March.

Writer Ray Fawkes (Constantine, Justice League Dark) brings his talents for the creepy side of things to these two misunderstood figures of darkness. The multi-talented creator is working closely alongside artist Alvaro Sarraseca (Turok) to bring this prophetic clash to the page. Colorist Salvatore Aiala and letterer Tom Napolitano round out the clan.

"Like many comics fans - and horror fans - I’ve fostered a love for Vampirella for a long time!," said writer Ray Fawkes. "I was reading Vampirella comics way back when, in the stone ages when I was probably too young to be reading stories that were so bloody and so sexy."

Vampirella, the Daughter of Drakulon, escaped her dying planet and arrived on Earth as a stranger, feared for her magnificent abilities and unique biology. Purgatori, or Sakkara, was born in Ancient Egypt as a slave, but managed to escape thanks to a vampire who turned her, only for her then to evolve further as a demonic goddess in the depths of Hell. Both women are known as vampires, but are so much more than that. While Vampirella has primarily devoted herself to the light, even the vicious Purgatori has shown moments of antiheroism.

For their first major meeting in Dynamite's canon, the two women become entangled in a conspiracy related to the 36 Tzadikim Nistarim. This prophecy, originating in Judaism, dictates that there are people hidden among society, unaware of their status, that act as beacons of goodness that justify the survival of humanity. When agents of Lilith, Vampirella's mother, seek to corrupt these men and women, both Vampirella and Purgatori have a stake in the game. But are they adversaries or allies, and how long can they stay that way?

With the heroics familiar to Vampirella fans, the dark themes of the Chaos! universe, surprise guest stars, and a lot of horror and action, this is sure to be a series fans won't want to miss. Dynamite has assembled a group of talented cover artists to capture these two fan-favorite figures in all their different vibes. Derrick Chew leads the way, following up from delivering perhaps the most iconic Purgatori artwork ever on his cover for Red Sonja: Age of Chaos #4. He's joined by Planet Hulk's Carlo Pagulayan, the seductive artwork of Joseph Michael Linsner (Dawn), the dark aesthetic of Spawn's Szymon Kudranski, and Dynamite's newest sensation Marco Mastrazzo.

VAMPIRELLA VS. PURGATORI #1 is solicited in Diamond Comic Distributors’ January 2021 Previews catalog, the premier source of merchandise for the comic book specialty market, and slated for release in March 2021. Comic book fans are encouraged to preorder copies of the issue with their local comic book retailers. It will also be available for individual customer purchase through digital platforms courtesy of Comixology, Kindle, iBooks, Google Play, Dynamite Digital, ComicsPlus, and more!

Amanda Conner Joins ComicsBeat - Interviewed About Her Vampirella Legacy
Amanda Conner is one of the most popular and accomplished artists in comic now, but back in the early ’90s, she was known mostly for drawing Barbie – incredibly, it was one of the few jobs that was readily available for women who drew comics at the time. She started breaking out in 1996 with a run on Vampirella, the horror comic published by Harris Comics....

INTERVIEW: Amanda Conner on what Vampirella means to her career

Vampirella Returns to the Silver Screen!
Arowana Media Holdings Acquires Worldwide Film and Television Rights to Iconic Vampirella Universe

Press release:
March 2, Mt. Laurel, NJ: Mike The Pike Productions, Inc. (OTC:MIKP) Announces today that its subsidiary Arowana Media Holdings, Inc., a media holdings company with a focus on transcendent storytelling across film, television, digital media, and other entertainment mediums, has acquired the worldwide film/television/streaming rights to Dynamite Entertainment's 'Vampirella', including stories, characters, and derivative works of the Vampirella universe.

Vampirella is a character who has continually evolved, having been drawn by dozens of artists in hundreds of issues published over the last 50 years, including her most recent record-smashing incarnation helmed by Marvel and DC veteran Christopher Priest (Black Panther, Deathstroke).

MIKP CEO and Producer Mark B. Newbauer states, "We are thrilled with the opportunity to bring this amazing character to screen in a big way. Nick Barucci, founder and CEO of the prolific Dynamite Comics, is an incredible visionary with an eye for story, and a talent for integration into the zeitgeist."

“He and everyone at Dynamite have resurrected this character in a significant way over the past decade and this latest run with Priest feels like it’s just the beginning of her next 50 years and beyond. We are truly grateful for the faith and support of Dynamite, Nick, and their reps, including producer/manager Ford Gilmore of Illuminati Entertainment.”

"Vampirella has become (and as of 2021 remains) the longest-running English-language vampire comic book of all time, its latest run, helmed by Christopher Priest (Black Panther), is its most successful yet, with more issues sold in its 50th anniversary than any previous year and it continues to gain momentum in popularity as new readers discover Vampirella's timely storyline."

As Priest stated upon launch of the highly successful 2019 and ongoing series: "Vampirella's supernatural abilities are a metaphor for a universal human condition, for being either rejected or idealized (or, in the case of our series, both) because you are different. Anyone who's ever moved to a new town or a new school or taken a new job should be able to identify with Vampi's challenges.

Anyone who wears their hair a different way, listens to a different kind of music, embraces a different religion, anyone who steps outside of or gets shoved outside of the so-called "mainstream" can identify with this latest run on Vampirella. I hope it is precisely this universality of theme that helps broaden her audience; the Vampi tent is large enough for everyone."

Over the years and in different publishing incarnations, Vampirella has clashed with Dracula; dodged the murderous intentions of Conrad van Helsing, and fell in love with his son, Adam van Helsing; had some "issues" with her mother Lilith (wife to biblical Adam before Eve was in the picture); took a young punk runaway, Sofia Murray, under her wing; and tangled with Fattoni, a sadistic Mafia boss.

Vampirella has also made a number of high profile crossover appearances in some of the biggest franchises around: Aliens, Catwoman, KISS, Witchblade, Red Sonja, and Archie Comics - a testament to her vast appeal and amazing versatility!

The Feature will be Produced by Mark Newbauer of Mike The Pike, Nick Barrucci and Juan Collado of Dynamite Entertainment.

The deal for rights was negotiated by and between Joseph Lanius of Lanius Law & Associates for Mike The Pike Entertainment and John Michael Murray of Behr Abramson Levy with Charles Ferraro of UTA and Ford Lyttle Gilmore of Illuminati Entertainment for Dynamite.

Wait what? Neat.

Wait what? Neat.
I hope this time it gets off the ground, unlike Hammer's version which fell through at the last minute (I know there was the TV movie in the 90s, but we don't talk about that! :cool:)

Just finished reading Red Sonja and Vampirella Meet Betty and Veronica. This collects the first six issues of the Dynamite/Archie crossover series that started last year, written by Amy Chu and drawn by Maria Sanapo.
Mystery, murder, and mayhem abound when the She-Devil with a Sword and the Daughter of Drakulon team up with the lovely ladies of Riverdale!

A string of paranormal, unsolved murders leads the vampire hunter Vampirella and her sword-wielding barbarian partner Red Sonja to the small, sleepy town where things always seem to happen... There they discover Betty and Veronica, investigative reporters for the high school newspaper, also hot on the trail of the same killer. But things are even more sinister than they seem as they uncover the plot of a mysterious cult and a deadly demon!

The worlds of Dynamite and Archie collide for a wild ride of intrigue, mysticism, and high school dances!

Dynamite are really pushing Red Sonja and Vampirella as a team-up (in addition to this tale and their meetings in the crossovers Prophecy and Swords of Sorrow, there's an ongoing - and entirely separate - Vampirella/Red Sonja series). And there's a reason for that; they go well together. It's not a pairing that immediately suggests itself, but they bounce off each other well (no innuendo intended). We even get this in-story exchange,
Betty: "Say, if you're from another planet -- and you're from a different time and country -- how did you two meet, anyway?"

Vampirella: "It's a long story. Suffice it to say -- across time, Sonja and I have met and fought together more than once... We have spilt and shared blood for a greater purpose."

This is accompanied by a few flashback panels - including one from Swords of Sorrow, tying continuity to that and by association to the greater Dynamite multiverse.

Okay, so that being said...

This is not a story you should go into expecting any depth! It's exactly what you'd expect from the premise (and the cover!)... froth. It's funny, sexy, suspenseful, romantic, and downright goofy. The high school setting lends a Buffy vibe, and there's a very Nancy Drew feel as well. The characterisations of all four girls are good. The interplay between them works, and the 'fish out of water' aspect as Vampi and Sonja try to blend into high school life is entertaining. These are what you would expect the strengths of a tale like this to be, and writer Amy Chu plays to them. Unfortunately, some of the dialogue is awful; you have Vampi and Sonja speaking as though they're quoting learned texts to one another one moment, then a short while later talking perfect modern English. It's as though Chu wasn't sure what tone to take, so decided to experiment, intending to polish and tidy later - but forgot to do that last part. There are some unresolved plot elements too, but there's a vol two on the way so hopefully they'll be cleared up there. Credit's due though for a nice in-story reference by Vampi to her 'Warren years', and a tantilising discussion (again, in-story) on Vampirella continuity. Plus... Josie and the Pussycats!

As for artwork, many pages look great. Faces, figures (important in a title like this!), action, all really good. But there are pages where some faces and poses look... off. I see that for the first three issues Maria Sanapo handled all the art herself, but for the last three had help from various people (sometimes more than one on an issue). Dynamite are notorious for publishing delays, and I just wonder whether there were deadline pressures that affected both the writing and the artwork; if so it's a shame, because where they're good they're very good.

There's a variant cover gallery by various artists, some in a very modern style, and some gloriously retro. As for costumes, we get Vampi's classic 'swimsuit' on some covers, a crop top variation (with shorts, or mini skirt) in the actual series; Sonja's chain-mail bikini features on some covers, and at the beginning of the story.

On the whole I had fun with this. Story's a 7.5, writing and art each average out at 7.5, so no surprise that it gets an overall rating of...

7.5/10

Just finished Vampirella/Red Sonja Vol 1: These Dark Synchronicities, collecting the first six issues (from last year) of ...
The first ongoing series, co-starring The Daughter of Drakulon and The She-Devil With A Sword!

From Eisner winner Jordie Bellaire (Buffy The Vampire Slayer, Redlands) and Drew Moss (Star Wars) comes a saga spanning space and time, filled with horror, adventure, mystery and murder!

Okay, with a writer who's handled vampires before (she's written a lot of Buffy), and an artist who's no stranger to 'space and time', you'd expect this to be good. And - thankfully - it is.

Bellaire sets the first three chapters/issues against the real-life mystery of the Dyatlov Pass Incident (Dyatlov Pass incident - Wikipedia), the still unexplained deaths of nine hikers in 1959, in Russia's Ural Mountains. Our story though is set ten years later, in 1969 (the year Vampirella first landed on Earth in the Warren years, and the year the character first appeared in print IRL). The whole thing is narrated by Vampirella (it looks like it may be her taped account of the events) as she investigates the deaths of a decade before. Travelling to the region, she meets locals who have their own theories about what happened, including 'Yeti attack'. Not believing in Yeti's, Vampi decides to visit the exact scene of the killings only to find herself facing what appears to be... a Yeti. The creature makes off, and Vampirella gives chase, eventually cornering it - only to find it's Red Sonja! Yep, in 1969!

I'll stop there to avoid spoilers, but this first three-chapter arc is very good. It doesn't seem connected to any existing continuity, so - yet again - we have Vampirella and Red Sonja meeting 'for the first time'. But as first meetings go, it's a cracker. The Dyatlov Pass mystery is a fantastic setting. The interplay between Vampi and Sonja is engaging and at times very funny (who'd have thought Sonja would have a weakness for cheeseburgers!). The introduction of secondary characters is well-handled, and the investigation and final solution (we get one!) make very entertaining reading.

Chapter four is (unexpectedly) a Sonja solo prequel set in her own time, giving some backstory as to how she ends up in 1969, whilst chapter five is a Vampirella solo, explaining how she comes to investigate Dyatlov Pass. Chapter six then reunites the two heroines - in a most unexpected way (to be continued in vol 2).

Drew Moss's art is better in the first three chapters than in the second three. Granted, it's not a style I love anyway, but the drop-off in the second half is noticeable (Dynamite deadline problems again?). That said, his attention to almost hidden details/Easter eggs is excellent. There's also an extensive - and gorgeous - cover gallery by various artists (including a few posthumous collaborations with the legendary Frank Frazetta!).

As for costumes, the iconic 'swimsuit' appears throughout (only replaced by something more conventional when Vampi's trying to blend in), and Sonja's chain-mail 'bikini' is a permanent fixture.

A belting first chapter, very good second and third chapters, and intriguing fourth, fifth, and sixth chapters, get this an overall rating of...

8/10

Just finished the trade Vengeance of Vampirella Vol 1: Rebirth, collecting the title's first six issues, from 2019.
Originally debuting in 1994, Vengeance of Vampirella portrayed a more savage and feral look at the Daughter of Drakulon. Now, for the 50th Anniversary of Vampirella, original series writer Tom Sniegoski (joined by the incredible art of Michael Sta. Maria) is back.

Set 25 years after the initial series, Vampirella is Dead!? Long Live Vampirella! Humanity holds on, but barely, the playthings and slaves of a multitude of supernatural monstrosities that have made the earth their own. Mistress Nyx continues to rule the planet, her Chaos Lords reigning over the various regions of the world, but she is getting bored - There's no one to challenge her! That is, until a small, but determined rebellion finds what could be their savior or seal their doom!

This title goes on the basis that none of the Vampirella stories published since 1994 ever happened. At least, not in this continuity. Vampirella lost her epic fight with Mistress Nyx all those years ago, and the world has been a darker place (in every respect) since. But one group of resistance fighters holds on to a final hope; the possibility of resurrecting Vampirella, and ending the rule of Nyx and her Chaos Lords once and for all.

Tom Sniegoski has said how delighted he is to be back with Vampi, and to finish his vision of how events played out after her death, and it really shows. The writing of the first chapter is faultless. It's epic, emotional, and gripping. And Vampi's return at the climax is awe-inspiring. In fact none of his writing for the remaining six issues quite hits those heights; it's all good, but chapter one is a masterclass in comic book writing.

Every bit as impressive is Michael Sta. Maria's artwork. Vampi is perfect here; by turn scary (and at times she is very scary), benevolent, or just plain hot as hell. And not just Vampi. The equally seductive Mistress Nyx looks incredible, and every other character, as well as location, is rendered beautifully. Justin Mason handles a few pages of art for chapter five, and Robert Castro does the whole of issue six, both following a noticeable trend in comics of having different artists illustrate flashback sequences. Their work's okay, but doesn't come close to Sta. Maria's.

As well as Vampi and Nyx, we get reintroduced to old allies Pendragon and Passion, and nemesis Hemorrhage. We also get an extensive 'alternate cover' gallery at the back, by a variety of fantastic artists and cosplay models.

As for costumes, have no fear - both Vampi and Nyx are 'traditionally attired' throughout!

Great stuff. I can hardly wait for Vol 2.

9/10

Just finished Vampirella: Sad Wings of Destiny, from 1996.

A couple of years after Vampirella's death at the hands of Mistress Nyx (25 years ago - see post immediately above), Harris published this poignant one-shot. Magician Mordecai Pendragon, Vampirella's friend, ally and confidant, finds her secret journal concealed in his private library. As he reads he is startled to find that it is actually addressed to him. What follows is a thank you for all the help he's given her over the years, a rememberance of characters and events, an explanation for her present state of mind, and an apology in the event that she does not survive her upcoming confrontation with Nyx.

Written by David Quinn and Sean Fernald, it's certainly moving. Vampirella's is the only voice throughout, other than the 'bookend' sequence of Pendragon starting and finishing the journal. There's a sense of regret in the pages, as though Vampi has a suspicion how things will end, and it's genuinely touching. That said, it's occasionally overwritten, with some phrasing being needlessly 'wordy' and not really ringing true as lines someone would set down in desperation whilst they had the chance.

Art for the Pendragon sequence is by Louis Small Jr and Caesar. The rest is made up of artwork from the original issues that contained the events Vampi is remembering, and as such is by a roll call of talent; Rudy D Nebres, Jim Silke, Mark Beachum, Amanda Conner & Jimmy Palmiotti, Scott Hampton, Michael Bair, Alan Davis & Mark Farmer, Louis Small Jr & Rob Stull, Nelson, Jimmy Palmiotti & Al Williamson, Gary Frank & Cam Smith, and Caesar & Michael Bair. Yet despite being (understandably!) diverse in style, it's all great.

This doesn't exactly move Vampi's story along (given that she is dead by this point), but it does a nice job of adding some depth to the anguish we saw in her when she met her end. So, not really one for the casual Vampi reader. But fans already familiar with the sad conclusion of her story should find it worthwhile.

This being Vampirella, I am of course duty-bound to mention that she is in her 'red swimsuited glory' throughout.

Overall, 8/10

Just finished reading Vampirella Valentine's Day Special, from 2021.
In a terrifying alternate reality, Dracula and Vampirella have wed and the world has been plunged into darkness. Humanity has become little more than cattle and Vampirella has sworn a sacred oath to her Husband and King not to fight against Vampire supremacy . . . but a rebellion is brewing in the shadows. Who is the mysterious rebel Bloodwing, and why does Dracula, and the vampire race, fear her so?

This is essentially an 'Elseworlds' or 'What If' story. Fifteen years earlier, Dracula defeated Vampirella on the battlefield. Reluctantly she agreed to become his Queen, in return for his showing some degree of mercy towards the human race. He did this by agreeing to spare most of the populace, provided every eldest child was handed to him once they reached the age of 10, to spend their existence being bled daily at blood farms. Eventually the humans - led by the mysterious Bloodwing - revolt, to face Dracula and his forces in one final, decisive battle. But this is an alternate reality. There are no guarantees that good will triumph.

Writing is by Tom Sniegoski and Jeannine Acheson, and it's pretty tight. The book is relatively light on dialogue, with much of the story being told through third person narration, allowing things to move along at a fair pace. Despite this, Vampirella and Dracula have clear, distinct voices, and it never feels rushed. The plot follows the beats you'd expect from an alternate universe story of this type - although one thing at the end did surprise me.

Art is by Marcos Ramos. I can't fault his work in itself, but it's a style I don't hugely care for. His backdrops are fine, but at times his figures and faces look 'messy'. There's a nice alternate cover gallery at the back by various artists, and some cosplay.

Vampi's 'swimsuit' appears throughout the first half of the story, and on all covers.

Pretty entertaining.

7/10

Last edited:
Finally got round to finishing the trades Vampirella: Seduction of The Innocent Vol's. 1 & 2 (been dipping in and out).

Vol 1
Celebrating the Daughter of Drakulon's historic 50th anniversary, Dynamite has assembled an all-star crew to put together the most captivating take on Vampirella ever... both serving as a perfect jumping-on point and subtly incorporating characters and Easter eggs from throughout Vampirella's five glorious decades. Nuns with guns, scandalous love triangles, psychotherapy and every classic villain teaming up against our heroine, and it all centers around a mysterious, tragic plane crash!

Vol 2
"Seduction of The Innocent" continues, taking us back to where the series began--the doomed flight of Affirm Air 1969. A warning comes to Vampirella too late as a cadre of her greatest foes execute their plan to destroy the life that she's built for herself on Earth. But who's really behind them? Lilith, or Vampirella's half-brother, Drago?

Vol 1 collects Vampirella (2019) #1-8 (plus the Free Comic Book Day #0), and vol 2 collects issues #9-14.

The basic premise is that Vampirella - under her alias of 'Ella Normandy' - is visiting a shrink to try to come to terms with the crash of a plane she was travelling on, in which a lot of people died. As such, a lot of the events are shown in flashback during her therapy sessions. But not all of them - and it isn't always clear which events are in the past, and which are happening 'now'. On top of that, even events that happened in the past do not always seem to have occurred in the order in which they're being remembered. That leads to some confusion on the part of the reader (at least, it did for me!).

However, structure aside, Christopher Priest's writing is pretty good. Sometimes his dialogue is a bit cringey, but he seems to 'get' all the characters (there are quite a few from Vampi's long history) and the overall story is interesting. It takes a few twists and turns that you don't see coming, and there's just enough humour to break up the onslaught of bleak events without distracting. There's also plenty of action, with Vampi on her best, bad-ass form!

The art, from Ergun Gunduz (assisted by Giovanni Timpano), is excellent. Characters, backdrops, and action all look fantastic. There are also some incredible variant covers by various artists, and some featuring cosplay.

My favourite element of the tale so far (it isn't finished yet) has to be the awesome 'Six Marys' - a group of demon-hunting nuns who work for the Catholic Exorcism Initiative Office! They are not to be messed with!

As for costume, Vampi is in her traditional 'swimsuit' for about 80% of the time, and on all the variant covers.

The confusing structure costs this on its rating, but overall it's still a 7.5/10

Cool! Single issues, or trades?

I'm mostly collecting the original Warren 30 issue run. I got #21, 12, 15. I could've bought a first issue, but my passion aint that big yet, money wise to merit that kind of dough.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"