Villain Poll

I think Annihilus would be the best choice. And I really dont think Doom should be used this first go round

I wouldn't have a problem if they use Dr. Doom as the first villain again since he's the most iconic villain of the Fantastic Four.

But someone that we haven't seen in the FF films before would be really refreshing and interesting.

Annihilus sounds about right to me I've never liked him as a fantastic Four villain til I read Annihilation where I thought he was awesome. No need to bring back Doom so quickly but I wouldn't be against them building the foundation for Doom in future movies.

I wouldn't have a problem if they use Dr. Doom as the first villain again since he's the most iconic villain of the Fantastic Four.

But someone that we haven't seen in the FF films before would be really refreshing and interesting.

Its a double edged sword, on one hand Doom is the most iconic villain the FF and the other hand, an inferior version of Doom appeared in two movies and it might be good to have someone else start first.

However another problem is, Dr. Doom, by far, has most developed personality of the FF villains, really the FF have a couple of good villains and a bunch of goobers.

Look at the motives of some of these villains:

Mole Man: Sally didn't go to the prom with me, so I want to take over the world! Mwa, ha, ha!

Wizard: I am bored and the FF had more TV appearances then me this week, I must destroy them! Mwa, ha, ha!

Red Ghost: I am a communist and the best way to free the working class and promote international dictatorship of the proletariat is to the destroy the FF! Mwa, ha, ha!

None of those motives make those villains sympathetic or menacing or sinister or anything besides pathetic.

This is why I liked Ultimate Mole Man, he had a more focused revenge against a particular party, not some random revenge against the world because a few bimbos didn't go out with him.

Likewise Annihilus is pretty one dimensional, but he is scary and menacing and has truly alien qualities.

THE fFF cosider themselves scintistsand explorers more than crimefighters ?right then the approriate villain shoud be maximus the mad that way we'd get the inhumans as well as the ff

Fox doesn't have the rights to the Inhumans.

Last edited:
Doctor Doom is a quintessential part of the franchize, however I don't think he should be the primary villain, not yet, maybe not ever. I think it would be cool if they made the first film about the N-Zone and the origin, with Annihilus as the main villain. The world doesn't know how to accept the fantastic four and their powers and is fearful on the N-Zone threat, when Doctor Doom sweeps in to right Reeds wrongs. His history with Mr.Fantastic is hinted at and Doom spends much of the movie trying to cure Ben as he finds him sympathetic due to his belief Reed made him into a monster as well. At the end of the film it's revealed that Doom may have tampered with Reeds experiment in the first place, hoping to kill his intellectual rival in the process.

Doom shouldn't be the main villain until after the power cosmic theft occurs and the world no longer has any trust for him.

Just a random character pick but say if someone like Psycho-Man was chosen as villain would people accept him?

I mean the most popular choices so far seem to be Doom, Mole Man & Wizard but say if director & co chose a lesser but still familiar enemy to start of with would it be accepted.

I would accept a different baddie from the FF4 universe so long as a decent story & script is looked at first.

Still keen to see Wizard, Annihilus etc.

Any Psycho-Man fans out there?
:woot:

I've always felt that b-grade or c-grade villains like Psycho-Man could only work in film if they had another more popular villain to balance out the piece!

I've always felt that b-grade or c-grade villains like Psycho-Man could only work in film if they had another more popular villain to balance out the piece!

Fair comment & I know he'll not be first up but you never know what may happen.

Psycho Man is certainly of the old school foes but if ever he did show up & with another foe who would you suggest?

I'm rooting for The Wizard as a main ememy in the reboot or at least pencilled in for possible sequels.

Again given a decent script Wizard maybe great to see clash with Richards mind.

:oldrazz:

Mole Man and Annihilus.

Mole Man from the beginning, basically, in the Ultimate vein, not 616. You have to take him seriously because he's so disgusting and depraved. Build up Annihilus as the reveal towards the end.

Annihilus or The Frightful Four with Doom in the sequel.

Last edited:
I too think Annihilus is the way to go. But I'd like Doom in the background waiting for his chance to strike.

If they do a trilogy, or if Marvel gets the rights back and does a trilogy, I would like:

1. Annihilus
2. Doctor Doom
3. Galactus

While I'm not a big fan of the FF myself, they have some of my favorite Marvel villains of all time. Do Annihilus first, to turn over a new page and give the franchise back its credibility. Then go for a more intelligent film with Doctor Doom, and then an absolutely epic one with Galactus.

Fair comment & I know he'll not be first up but you never know what may happen.

Psycho Man is certainly of the old school foes but if ever he did show up & with another foe who would you suggest?

I'm rooting for The Wizard as a main ememy in the reboot or at least pencilled in for possible sequels.

Again given a decent script Wizard maybe great to see clash with Richards mind.

:oldrazz:

Psycho Man would be great on screen - an amazing costume design that was just made for the movies - I would assume if he was used, the Malice story line would be adapted so she would make the "second" villain. Otherwise, he does not really need anyone else.

Wizard leading the Frightful Four could be fantastic - the classic story arc of FF 41-43 would make a great starting off point for a film.

If they do a trilogy, or if Marvel gets the rights back and does a trilogy, I would like:

1. Annihilus
2. Doctor Doom
3. Galactus

While I'm not a big fan of the FF myself, they have some of my favorite Marvel villains of all time. Do Annihilus first, to turn over a new page and give the franchise back its credibility. Then go for a more intelligent film with Doctor Doom, and then an absolutely epic one with Galactus.

This is how I would do it too, though I'd want seeds of Galactus in the first two films. Like Thanos in Avengers.

In the Heroes Reborn run of the FF - the source of the Cosmic Rays that gave them their powers was related to the Coming of Galactus to our universe. This could be a good way of teasing the Big G and explaining the accident that gives them their powers.

I still like the Negative Zone tied to their origin, too - the only thing I think is worthy from the Ultimate FF.

In the Heroes Reborn run of the FF - the source of the Cosmic Rays that gave them their powers was related to the Coming of Galactus to our universe. This could be a good way of teasing the Big G and explaining the accident that gives them their powers.

I still like the Negative Zone tied to their origin, too - the only thing I think is worthy from the Ultimate FF.

All of this I can get behind.

Wizard leading the Frightful Four could be fantastic - the classic story arc of FF 41-43 would make a great starting off point for a film.

Love this idea - I always thought a battle scene where each of the four had an opponent to defeat would be epic. Perfect way to intro the Inhumans, Crystal/Johnny....all just as written

Psycho Man would be great on screen - an amazing costume design that was just made for the movies - I would assume if he was used, the Malice story line would be adapted so she would make the "second" villain. Otherwise, he does not really need anyone else.

See the problem if that is, it requires Wizard to be the Big Bad of the film and Wizard is just kinda of dull character, with a one note personality and rather lame motives. Is Wizard an interesting villain in FF 41-43 or was he just some guy with a interesting plot device that was more important then he was? What was so interesting about Wizard's personality in that story? Because if Wizard is just a guy with a mind control plot device in that story, you could even do the story without him. Wizard should be interesting on his own, not because of plot devices or gadgets, but because he has an interesting personality. Why is Wizard interesting as a character, can you say why he is interesting in terms of personality, rather then his gadgets?

Really there doesn't seem be anything to Wizard besides just being a jerk, he is not sympathetic, he is not truly evil either, he just a jerk and really a villain who is just jerk isn't really compelling. If Wizard supposed to be unsympathetic because he brainwashed the Thing and turned him against the thing, maybe take that a step further and really make really unsympathetic by giving him terrifying goals that have a larger scope then revenge against the FF because they happen to be more famous then him or perhaps having him do evil things beyond just brain washing the Thing. At least that would make him different from Doom, because in the comics, he often seems like a poor man's Doom. What is Wizard's goals, why does he want revenge on the FF, what kind of villain is he, a sympathetic one, a monstrous one, something else? Anything would be better then just a jerk as the main villain of the film.

I also think Trapster wouldn't work well as a threat on the big screen, I don't even buy him as a threat to the FF in the comics.

I like Jack Kirby and Stan Lee as much as anyone, but not all of the villains they created were meant to carry a movie. If Wizard is just a poor man's Dr. Doom, why would I want to see him over Doom? Unless the film makers make Wizard different from Doom in an important, I don't see the point in his him. What makes Wizard an interesting character in his own right?

I am going to be honest, FF 41-43 is not a meaty enough story to carry a movie, not its own. Wizard using a mind control device to use Thing to attack the FF is not enough plot for a two hour move, plus the Thing's sense of self loathing and alienation before getting brain washed would be hard to set up for a first movie and I think those themes are actually important to the story from FF 41-43. FF 41-43 is a good small scale story, but it doesn't seem like a really cinematic story. I think its in incorrect to assume you can take almost any story from the Lee Kirby run and can make a movie about it, some of the stories were cinematic then others. I mean I love FF 51, but I don't think it would work as a movie. FF 41-43 would only work as a movie if you really expand it, add more plot, give it a bigger scope and make the Frightful Four themselves far more compelling, the story as it stands is not meaty enough for film.

Last edited:
I like Jack Kirby and Stan Lee as much as anyone, but not all of the villains they created were meant to carry a movie. If Wizard is just a poor man's Dr. Doom, why would I want to see him over Doom? Unless the film makers make Wizard different from Doom in an important, I don't see the point in his him. What makes Wizard an interesting character in his own right?

I am going to be honest, FF 41-43 is not a meaty enough story to carry a movie, not its own. Wizard using a mind control device to use Thing to attack the FF is not enough plot for a two hour move, plus the Thing's sense of self loathing and alienation before getting brain washed would be hard to set up for a first movie and I think those themes are actually important to the story from FF 41-43. FF 41-43 is a good small scale story, but it doesn't seem like a really cinematic story. I think its in incorrect to assume you can take almost any story from the Lee Kirby run and can make a movie about it, some of the stories were cinematic then others. I mean I love FF 51, but I don't think it would work as a movie. FF 41-43 would only work as a movie if you really expand it, add more plot, give it a bigger scope and make the Frightful Four themselves far more compelling, the story as it stands is not meaty enough for film.

I'll agree with that - which is why I suggested FF41-43 would make a good starting off point - someplace for them fancy hollywood writers to start with, flesh out, and expand into a hit movie!

Likewise, FF51 could provide a nice spring board for a good FF movie - not that one 20 page story by itself but it rolled into other FF adventures.

I also agree that Doom is the FF ultimate villain - but he should not be the villain all the time - their world is much bigger than that in the comics and should be in the movies, too.

I'll agree with that - which is why I suggested FF41-43 would make a good starting off point - someplace for them fancy hollywood writers to start with, flesh out, and expand into a hit movie!

Likewise, FF51 could provide a nice spring board for a good FF movie - not that one 20 page story by itself but it rolled into other FF adventures.

I also agree that Doom is the FF ultimate villain - but he should not be the villain all the time - their world is much bigger than that in the comics and should be in the movies, too.

I disagree about FF 51, its a small self contained story that takes too much step up and time to be a cold opening or a sub plot, but just is not long enough for a movie, its something that would work better in a more serialized format, like TV, though it likely wouldn't work on a TV budget. I don't have to you how different Movies are as a format from comics, some stories just would not work in a movie format.

Also I'm not saying Doom has to be in the movies all the time, I'm saying Wizard isn't a good choice as a main villain, because he is just a poor man's Dr. Doom. Dr. Doom and Wizard are both mad scientists with no powers, but lots of gadgets who are wish to prove their intellectual superiority over Reed Richards . The difference is Doom has a better name, better look, better tech, better back story, a more fleshed out personality and actually seems in the same league as Reed intellectually, which is not something I can say for Wizard.

If you are not going to go with Doom, you shouldn't have a poor man's Dr. Doom instead. If the Frightful Four were the villains, Wizard would have to do the real heavy lifting in the film, so he has to be compelling in his own right and not seem like a 4th rate Doom knock off.

In X-Men First Class, the Hell Fire Club were the villains and since Sebastian Shaw was the leader of the Hell Fire Club, he did most of the real heavy lifting in the film and got most of the characterization on the villain's side. Shaw in the movie is far more evil then the comic book version and in the movie was the one who put Magneto in the dark path towards being the X-Men's greatest enemy. Shaw had far more of an impact in the films then in the comics, if Wizard's going to be the main villain of an FF movie, he needs to be compelling and have an impact, not just be a snotty jerk and seem like a poor imitation of Dr. Doom.

Batman is considered to have the best rogues gallery in comics and why is that? Because his villains have personality, that is what is important, more so then the villain's gimmick. Wizard needs more then just a mind control device to be a good villain, he needs a compelling personality and a dynamic with the FF. Why should I care about the conflict between the FF and the Wizard, if the whole is just Wizard trying to humiliate the FF because they got better TV ratings then he did? I need more then that to care about the conflict between the two groups.

You do say that's the writers job to make these villains work better on screen, but let's face it, Fox screwed up Dark Phoenix, Dr. Doom and Galactus, so I think it is a fun and useful to exercise to discuss ways to make some of these FF villains more cinematic. If the radically changed Sebastian Shaw and Whiplash to fit the movie mold, I don't see why Wizard shouldn't get a really big overall. I think I would less reason to oppose Wizard as the main villain, if we discuss ways in which his personality and motives can be made more compelling.

The reason why I want to see Annihilus is because the idea of humanity being the invaders into the Negative Zone, the concept of bringing something back into our world by accident and humans provoking an alien invasion is all incredibly interesting to me.

Plus Annihilus as this hideous insect thing under some really intimidating armor would be a great homage to the David Cronenberg remake of The Fly. Like you break it's face off, then watch as this gross mantis thing's head is underneath.

That combined with how he views humanity as a threat after discovering his world in the Negative Zone and then countering by leading a massive invasion of our world gives some great food for though as to him, WE look like monsters and to be fair, we actually did come across as scary invaders from another dimension first and if his species were the first to discover our reality, we'd probably make the same exact choice out of the same fear.

Plus an experiment involving firing cosmic rays into the Negative Zone to see how they change properties going awry is a great idea for an origin. Plus, it all being Reed's fault after he, Sue and Ben were removed from the project, so they steal the shuttle despite Johnny not having any sort of experience that would qualify him for this, Johnny messes up the experiment and everyone but the four of them involved int he experiment is now dead. Stopping Annihilus is Reed redeeming himself.

Plus, a bit of cosmic horror along the lines of Event Horizon or Alien is hardly a bad thing. Annihilus can be really, truly creepy if given the chance.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"