• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

Superman Returns What Aspects of Superman Returns do you feel should influence the comics?

Kane said:
I dislike that idea. I dont like adding new characters to Clark's Smallville origins. It should go back to simply Clark, Pete and Lana (Smallville's big three)....Pete was his friend/rival and Lana was his best friend/girl next door. Chloe and Lex are unnecessary.

Don't get me wrong. I don't want to see Chloe Sullivan in the comics at all. However, it doesn't make sense to buy a character who's origins begin in Smallville, and then change it so she doesn't come from Smallville. What's the big deal about adding more characters to the SV crew in the comics. I mean, Clark had more friends and enemies in Smallville. Braveman came out of nowhere, so who is to say that she was just one of the people he knew. I disagree that Smallville should be restricted to just the Kents, Lana and Pete. Though, I do agree that Lex should never have been there. That's a stupid SA aspect Smallville the show should worked around. There are plenty of reasons for Lex to be in Kansas, but not so many IMO why him and Clark would be friends.

Kane said:
Helena B is still alive, I'm sure she will continue for some time. Its not like the baby could become Huntress....not for a loooooooong time.

I'd love to see the comics stick with this timeline, watch the characters grow older...and then evolve to that point.

See, the only problem I have with this is letting the characters grow older means they actually have to get older. I want them to stay perpetually young. Children have to age, so unless the character are young in their own right than they will get old. I don't want to see Lois Lane die of old age, unless she comes back youthful like Supes. I aslo don't want to see a gray-haired Supes, or a Supes without his accompanying cast, ie. Perry, Jimmy, etc. So, the baby is problematic in that if you have one it has to age...eventually. At this point, I'm saying wait for the baby until he can be aged to match the perpetual youth. At this point, Clark and Lois are in the mid thirties...I think...or maybe early thirties. But if they had a kid, by the time he was 15 they would be fifty or something. I'm not down with that.

Kane said:
One of the problems with Earth 2 was they had alot of timeline gaps, we missed alot showing the characters growing up.

Now that IC has focused the DCU on a core group of characters, singular versions of them....we can watch them grow for the next 2 decades or more....in possibly real time.

As I said earlier, I'm not a fan of real time growth. I don't really like to read about old comic book heroes unless it's an elseworld. They child has to grow so they can all stay youthful. For instance, Nightwing was Robin, but Bruce is still young enough to be Batman indefinitely...that's the type of timeline that appeals to me when it comes to character aging.

Kane said:
Ya and I was a teenager when it first aired and I still found it lame.

But intelligent cartoons are dead now anyways.

RIP Batman TAS, Superman TAS, JLU, Spider-Man, X-Men, F4/Iron Man etc...

I miss JLU :(
That's why i hate cartoon network. they kill all the good shows, while the crap is allowed to air for years.

SpeedballLives said:
Wait!
So Helena is Selina and Bruce's?
So he's gonna have a son AND a daughter in the comic.
Hopefully he doesn't turn evil, kill all the other superheroes, duel Superman, and become a mechanical monstrosity named Darth Bat.
LOL! :D but yeah, now that you mentioned it...... with the introduction of Helena, how does that impact Ibn (and Thalia)?

SpeedballLives said:
I miss JLU :(
That's why i hate cartoon network. they kill all the good shows, while the crap is allowed to air for years.

Im pi$$ed at them for putting up Live action movies on a station called CARTOON NETWORK, and that AFTER not carring JLU. Who makes the decisions over there now, it's gotta be someone not with it.

Steelsheen said:
LOL! :D but yeah, now that you mentioned it...... with the introduction of Helena, how does that impact Ibn (and Thalia)?

Ibn? was that Bruce and Talias Son from Kingdom Come?

Nivek said:
Ibn? was that Bruce and Talias Son from Kingdom Come?

Yeah, that's the name of the Kid in the present comics too.

SpeedballLives said:
Yeah, that's the name of the Kid in the present comics too.

I read on the DC boards that the current Batman writer loves Talia, and want's to bring her and her child back. I'm not sure how that's going to work, unless they bring her back and it's revealed that child is NOT his. That might be an interesting twist to the whole scenario, though personally I'd rather not see that re-incorporated. They took it out for a reason, why are they trying to bring it bacK?

IMO, Helena Wayne should be the only child Batman has, and the only woman Batman has a child with should be Selena, Catwoman.

Kane said:
Ya and I was a teenager when it first aired and I still found it lame.

But intelligent cartoons are dead now anyways.

RIP Batman TAS, Superman TAS, JLU, Spider-Man, X-Men, F4/Iron Man etc...

my heart still bleeds for JLU :( :( :(

it was innevitable, Timm left, that was the death knell.

charl_huntress said:
Don't get me wrong. I don't want to see Chloe Sullivan in the comics at all. .

Thats all I needed to hear :up:

charl_huntress said:
See, the only problem I have with this is letting the characters grow older means they actually have to get older. I want them to stay perpetually young. Children have to age, so unless the character are young in their own right than they will get old. I don't want to see Lois Lane die of old age, unless she comes back youthful like Supes. I aslo don't want to see a gray-haired Supes, or a Supes without his accompanying cast, ie. Perry, Jimmy, etc. So, the baby is problematic in that if you have one it has to age...eventually. At this point, I'm saying wait for the baby until he can be aged to match the perpetual youth. At this point, Clark and Lois are in the mid thirties...I think...or maybe early thirties. But if they had a kid, by the time he was 15 they would be fifty or something. I'm not down with that.

As I said earlier, I'm not a fan of real time growth. I don't really like to read about old comic book heroes unless it's an elseworld. They child has to grow so they can all stay youthful. For instance, Nightwing was Robin, but Bruce is still young enough to be Batman indefinitely...that's the type of timeline that appeals to me when it comes to character aging.

Thats the thing, I think DC (after IC) is moving towards real time growth. I'd like to see most of these characters at least get to the point were they are into their late 40s (including Lois...gray hair or not)...

Maybe not realtime exactly, but the characters should get progressively older overtime and the children should grow up.

In about 20 years, they can have another crisis/retcon and start over again...reinvent everything.

But for now, theres the potential to finally see this core group of DCU characters grow and evolve over the years, we have an established universe and timeline now.

I like Superman with the greying temples anyways, he looks pretty iconic.

Jeeze folks...more intelligent cartoons will come, and I'm sure DC/WB knows Timm's worth. He's working on something new. Actually, he and McDuffie are working on something new.

It's all good...just give it time. And CN is not the big bastards you guys claim they are. b.t. has said that if it wasn't for CN JL nor JLU would have been what it was. I agree that their programming choices leaves a lot to be desired, but they were good to b.t. At least he says they were.

this confirms it's Ibn
dc-in-september-20060619003134327.jpg

BATMAN #657
Written by Grant Morrison
Art by Andy Kubert & Jesse Delperdang
Cover by Kubert

Part 3 of the 4-part "Batman and Son," by the incomparable team of writer Grant Morrison and artists Andy Kubert & Jesse Delperdang! Batman brings his son home to Gotham City and introduces him to both Wayne Manor and the Batcave! But when Batman's new son meets Robin sparks — and swords — will fly!

SpeedballLives said:
this confirms it's Ibn

BATMAN #657
Written by Grant Morrison
Art by Andy Kubert & Jesse Delperdang
Cover by Kubert

Part 3 of the 4-part "Batman and Son," by the incomparable team of writer Grant Morrison and artists Andy Kubert & Jesse Delperdang! Batman brings his son home to Gotham City and introduces him to both Wayne Manor and the Batcave! But when Batman's new son meets Robin sparks — and swords — will fly!

What if it's NOT his son though? That's the twist I think is going to come? The kid is not Batman's. Helena is Batman's child, which is why I wish they would just get it over with and let us in on the secret.

Kane said:
Thats all I needed to hear

LOL...I don't want any aspects of SV incorporated. The show teeters quite frequently on the edge of foul, so no...I'd rather she not be there.

Kane said:
Thats the thing, I think DC (after IC) is moving towards real time growth. I'd like to see most of these characters at least get to the point were they are into their late 40s (including Lois...gray hair or not)...
Maybe not realtime exactly, but the characters should get progressively older overtime and the children should grow up. In about 20 years, they can have another crisis/retcon and start over again...reinvent everything. But for now, theres the potential to finally see this core group of DCU characters grow and evolve over the years, we have an established universe and timeline now.
I like Superman with the greying temples anyways, he looks pretty iconic.

Superman with graying temples is iconic, but Lois Lane is not? I don't want to Lois to start looking like Ella. I'm cool with Benes, he can draw Lois Lane for the rest of his life :) I also don't want to see a fully grown Jimmy, who's like thirty. And, I don't want to see Perry die. LOL...if these folks die than Batman has to go too. We have Generations for these stories. I don't want to see it real time.

Well, supposedly.....it's been promised that the kid will be brought back into continuity.

So, I think it really is his son.

Plus...it'd be nice to have the kid brought into continuity again.

Superman needs to have a kid with Lois.....although, the whole "should he have Kryptonian powers" thing is a debate. I mean, what kind of powers should he have and stuff like that.

Look what happened to the Batman comics when they started emulating the 60's tv show because of it's popularity.
That lesson should have been well learned then

ChrisBaleBatman said:
Well, supposedly.....it's been promised that the kid will be brought back into continuity.

Superman needs to have a kid with Lois.....although, the whole "should he have Kryptonian powers" thing is a debate. I mean, what kind of powers should he have and stuff like that.

The powers should be handled like in SR. They arent straight up Kryptonian powers but there are hints he may have the ability to one day attain them.

I wonder if they should make him the only Kryptonian to have abilities but to not have a weakness to Kryptonite, thatd be interesting.

I don't think he'd be immune, but he should have a lesser reaction...sort of like Supergirl in STAS. She is affected by it, but not to the same physical degree as Superman.

I actually think the kid should have all the powers eventually, they should just take longer to develop and he shouldn't be as powerful as his father. That's it.

ChrisBaleBatman said:

I don't agree, and I think it would be cooler if he wasn't his son. Then Bats could start thinking about children, and whammo...he's got one with Selena. LOL...I never particularly liked Talia anyway...so that could be my issue. I'm more familiar with her from TNBA and BTAS.

I really wish the Kryptonian Crystal technology was the same around the board, I've basically warmed up to everything they came up with design-wise on Superman: The Movie for Krypton...I like the alluminating suits and the Massive Warm Ice continents, you know?

BatFitz said:
I really wish the Kryptonian Crystal technology was the same around the board, I've basically warmed up to everything they came up with design-wise on Superman: The Movie for Krypton...I like the alluminating suits and the Massive Warm Ice continents, you know?

although i kninda like the concept of the original Krypton looking pretty much like Earth (hence the natural choice on why Jor-El sent Kal-El here), the STM version of Krypton makes the most sense when you consider the scientific principles of a dying sun: The giant red star being close to a planet will rob it of its atmosphere, hence Krypton looking like an ice planet. it also makes sense for the society to live pretty much below ground (hence the domes) to achieve some level of stability and protection from the elements. hence the logical sense of a society built around the technology of crystals and minerals, which would be in abundance in the soil.

why's that kid trying to kill batman?

charl_huntress said:
I don't think he'd be immune, but he should have a lesser reaction...sort of like Supergirl in STAS. She is affected by it, but not to the same physical degree as Superman.

I actually think the kid should have all the powers eventually, they should just take longer to develop and he shouldn't be as powerful as his father. That's it.

I have to agree with this and with your earlier post about not really having the characters age. :up:

I have said this many times before that I am afraid of having the kid(s) of Batman and Superman grow and take their fathers places. That, to me would be fundamentally wrong. Bruce Wayne is Batman (which is why Knightfall etc. drove me nuts), and Clark Kent is Superman. Not their kids. I will be sorely disappionted if they ever try to get the kids to replace the originals. Oh, and if/when Clark and Lois have a kid, I hope it's a daughter like Myxie predicted...I see some definate "overprotective daddy" comedy moments for Clark (kind of like Ari is going through on Entourage right now).

As far as retonning goes, I figure they might let the characters age a bit (like having Clarks daughter grow up in that Myxlplik comic from a year or two ago.), then retcon back to square one with Clark just starting at the planet. At least that's how I hope it goes. But I definatly would NOT like to see any grey hairs. Old Supes should be reserved for Elseworlds. Period IMHO.

As for things from the movie in the comic...um...I'd say nothing really...maybe the 3d \S/, but other than that there is no reason for the \S/ to get smaller, or for the colors to darken, things are good as is, and the stories are getting even better so why fix somthing that isn't broken I say.

Kane said:
Lois and Superman having a child will finally happen; now would be the best time with Bruce and Selina having Helena.

I agree Now is the prefect time .

Kal-El 8 said:
I agree Now is the prefect time .

So then if Batman jumped off a bridge you think Superman should do the same?!?! :p

j/k...I couldn't resist, it sounded so much like the old "but everyone else is doing it!!:( :D

Supergirl and Robin, much like Dawn Summers in Buffy the Vampire Slayer, are useless characters who take up space and energy.

There wouldn't even be a Supergirl if I had my bones about it. Outside of whatever is lurking in the Phantom Zone, Superman should/would be the last. He is called The Last Son of Krypton for a reason ya know.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"