What If Val Kilmer Played Batman in 1989 Instead of Michael Keaton

TMC1982

Sidekick
Reaction score
Would the fanboys have been as up in arms over the announcement as they were with Keaton? If I remember correctly, most people were uneasy over the choice of Michael Keaton as Batman because he had been primarily seen as a comedic actor (e.g. "Night Shift", "Mr. Mom", "Johnny Dangerously", "Gung Ho", and "Beetlejuice"). Thus, fans were afraid that it was going to be a repeat of the campy Adam West TV series from the '60s.

By 1989, Val Kilmer (although perhaps not having as many films under his belt as Michael Keaton at that point) had already appeared in more action-oriented films like "Top Gun" and "Willow" than Michael Keaton. Joel Schumacher first thought that Kilmer could make a good Bruce Wayne/Batman when he saw him play Doc Holliday in "Tombstone". As the story goes, when he was first asked if he wanted to play Batman in a movie, Val Kilmer signed on without reading the script (he also apparently, didn't know that the franchise was going to take a different direction from the Tim Burton era to the Joel Schumacher era).

Last edited:
I don't care what anyone else says. Kilmer is a brilliant actor, his complete transformation into Jim Morrsion in The Doors proves this. And I thought with the material he had, he did a outstanding job in Batman Forever.

A lot fans dismiss Kilmer as Batman/Bruce just cos he's not like Keaton or Bale. I'm one of the those who liked his performance.

If Burton or Nolan directed Kilmer we would have called him best Batman/Bruce.

A lot fans dismiss Kilmer as Batman/Bruce just cos he's not like Keaton or Bale. I'm one of the those who liked his performance.

If Burton or Nolan directed Kilmer we would have called him best Batman/Bruce.

100% agreed. I loved Keaton and I love Bale, but Kilmer if directed well and had a better story to work with would of been absolutely brilliant. The best thing about Forever was Kilmer, and the characterization of Bruce was pretty good. The angst he showed was very believable, especially in the scenes about his Fathers journal. It's a shame some of that was cut.

Umm if this happened, it would have been awful, end of story lol.

See? what I mean. Ace.

exactly. Kilmer was a grat Bruce/Batman, he had a great chemistry with Kidman as well. If he had more to work with he could of been brilliant. All the parts where he had to come across brooding and troubled were pulled off perfectly.

I will always have respect for Kilmer as well. I loved him in that movie when it came out. Looking back there was so much potential for him.

It's a pity the best scenes in Batman Forever were the deleted ones. I just love the one where he embraces the giant bat, very symbolic. Kilmer did an amazing job in the movie, especially considering what he had to work with.

And to answer the OP's question, no, I don't think they would have reacted as strongly, because, as you say, he had appeared primarily in action films.

I liked Kilmer's Batman, he was good. My favourite Batman actors in order are:
1. Keaton
2. Kilmer
3. Bale
4. Clooney
My favourite Bruce Wayne actors are:
1. Bale
2. Kilmer
3. Keaton
4. Clooney
I differentiate between the Batman and Bruce Wayne parts by the way.

Kilmer was a very good actor who was unfortunately dumped into a campy, more comedic version of Batman than it's prequels, and this has tarnished his performance. I've no doubt he would have done the role justice if we had gotten a darker version of the films a la Burton or Nolan, but at the end of the day Kilmer read the script and still decided to do it - so we can't really say it was unfair on him.

Considering age wise I would say if Kilmer was Batman in '89 then they would have to go with a younger actress for Vicky Vale, not that many young starlets back then, Julia Roberts? Winona Ryder? Rene Russo?

I agree, he would've been great. He signed onto the film without reading the script and allegedly was very unhappy with the change of tone between films, he didn't even consider returning for B&R. Although I sort of feel he 'phoned it in' in Forever because it was a film he wasn't passoniate about and therefore his performance isn't great, as others have mentioned in the right film with the correct director he probably would've been the best Batman.

Kilmer has actually stated that he would of loved to do a Bat film the way Nolan has. I can't remember where the interview is now.

Umm if this happened, it would have been awful, end of story lol.

Why end of story? Val's an extremely talented actor and underrated. Back in '89 he would have been great for a Batman Year One style film. He certainly has the talent and range to pull off a complex character - hell, his portrayal of Jim Morrison in The Doors is the only thing the remaining band members seem to think was accurate from the entire film. And the only glimmers of depth in Batman Forever involved Kilmer in the flashback storyline.

i have to be honest with you: val kilmer was my favorite batman AND bruce wayne. he would have done a wonderful job in batman begins and the dark knight. he was the only reason (well, maybe kidman too ;) ) why i would watch forever to the end, his acting ability is great and he fits so wonderfulin the batsuit.

See? what I mean. Ace.
Hey I never said I hated or even disliked Kilmer in BF, I liked his Bruce Wayne alot, not so much his Batman. But he is definitly right there up behind, West, Keaton and Bale.

89 is just so iconic to me, I would like to think about anyone but Keaton donning the cape and cowl to be Batman.:yay:

ehh...im one of those guys that didnt totally enjoy kilmer as batman(he was good as bruce wayne)....i prefer keaton...but kilmer would have done decent in 89...not better than keaton IMO

I thought Kilmer was a good Batman, didnt really care for his Bruce Wayne all that much though. Keaton was alot better than Kilmer IMO.

As far as I'm concerned, aside from Bale, Kilmers dual portrayal of Bruce and Batman was the most faithful to the comics. You had Keaton, who was great I am not denying that, but he was pretty dark and gloomy both in and out of the Batsuit. And then you have Clooney, who was awful, acting like a smug playboy in and out of the batsuit. But both Kilmer and Bale seem to know how to play the dual roles.

Considering age wise I would say if Kilmer was Batman in '89 then they would have to go with a younger actress for Vicky Vale, not that many young starlets back then, Julia Roberts? Winona Ryder? Rene Russo?

Apparently Rene Russo was Schumacher's first choice for Chase Meridian, but the studio deemed her too old :wow:.

I could care less about age, she's still feckin' gorgeous. Woulda been better than Katie Holmes. :o

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"