Civil War What you didn't like about Captain America: Civil War - Flaws/Critiques

Status
Not open for further replies.
My biggest issue with this film is that nobody in the film knows how to accurately pronounce Lagos.

It's a tiny nitpick but I hated the huge location title cards. Just felt really out of place.

I actually really liked them, they felt kinda unique as opposed to the generic text in the corner with the same little sound in so many Hollywood movies.

Last edited:
So, the Team Cap v Team Iron Man battle was floating around on facebook today so I had another look over it. I think the main problem is Hawkeye, he just feels so out of place due to not being introduced earlier in the movie. The battle is still a little all over the place in parts, but I think it's because there's no real bad guy in the fight so it becomes a little hard to distinguish who's on which team. When there are multiple good guys fighting one and other it becomes a bit tricky to remember the teams involved. That said though, I can already picture it in my head how Infinity War may look when they all unite.

There was a tad too much shaky cam during some of the action scenes.

The score was underwhelming.

Zemo didn't really interest me until the final act.

I really liked the airport fight, but I agree with jmc about Vision. He was strangely absent for most of the fight.

There was a tad too much shaky cam during some of the action scenes.

There were a few times I was reminded of Chris Nolan's approach to hand to hand combat.

This is another tiny nitpick, but I feel like Spidey referring to AT-AT's as "those snow walker things" was out of character as he would definitely know what they are called.

Still, I love how they can just name drop Star Wars whenever they like now.

Three very, very minor nitpicks.

The sequence where Stark, Nat & Sharon take on Bucky was weirdly edited, until T'Challa showed up.

Also, the opening fight was too shaky. I'm convinced the camera man must have tripped or something at one point. :oldrazz:

And those massive location names were weird. Why were they so BIG!? Kinda weird lol. I remember someone mentioning it, but I didn't think they'd be that huge. I mean, damn.

Zemo, a man grieving for his family, managed to track down and then decrypt Hydra files. He then discovered the link to Howard Stark's murder, plotted the Avengers collapse, gathered bomb materials etc in under two years. Pretty impressive.

Tony Stark, the tech genius that he is, had no idea? He didn't look into the leaked SHIELD files? He had Jarvis, Friday and Vision to help. He hacked the helicarrier with Jarvis' help in what 30/40 mins?

Also, what will he do to Natasha? She was right there with Steve in that bunker when Zola alluded to Bucky being responsible. She didn't tell Stark either.

Three very, very minor nitpicks.

The sequence where Stark, Nat & Sharon take on Bucky was weirdly edited, until T'Challa showed up.

Also, the opening fight was too shaky. I'm convinced the camera man must have tripped or something at one point. :oldrazz:

And those massive location names were weird. Why were they so BIG!? Kinda weird lol. I remember someone mentioning it, but I didn't think they'd be that huge. I mean, damn.

I agree that the first fight was too shaky. Not quite ridiculous Bourne levels (due to less cutting between angles) but the other scenes were better shot since they lacked that, and the choreography of the Russo movies is so great that they don't need to hide it with shakiness.

some of the nitpicks I have

1. Scott lang character not consistent with him solo movie. .In his solo movie..he try so hard to not be a criminal again. Here in CW, He just join the germany battle without much thought, despite knowing he will be a criminal if he joined

2. Why does zemo need to find the location of the other 5 winter solider? he plan would have succed as long as he 1) activate bucky 2) send tony stark the clip where WS kill him parent.

1. Scott lang character not consistent with him solo movie. .In his solo movie..he try so hard to not be a criminal again. Here in CW, He just join the germany battle without much thought, despite knowing he will be a criminal if he joined

2. Why does zemo need to find the location of the other 5 winter solider? he plan would have succed as long as he 1) activate bucky 2) send tony stark the clip where WS kill him parent.

Lang only did all he could to not be a criminal until he needed money. He got caught breaking into Pym's house. He tried even less when Pym brought him on as Ant-Man. It wasn't exactly legal to steal the works of Pym Tech.

I didn't notice him having the clip before coming to the WS base.

Nothing i believe...

I know every movie has a flaw but when i saw this movie last night, i've been in fantastic mood with happy mind and happy heart, so eventhough there might be a flaw, i do not see it as a big deal....

Mjölnir;33555061 said:
Lang only did all he could to not be a criminal until he needed money. He got caught breaking into Pym's house. He tried even less when Pym brought him on as Ant-Man. It wasn't exactly legal to steal the works of Pym Tech.

I didn't notice him having the clip before coming to the WS base.

Committing criminal acts is committing criminal acts - whether it's for money or not. He spent the latter half of his own solo film honoring the promise he made to his ex- and his daughter that he would stay out of jail. Then at a moments notice, he gladly joins Caps team even after being warned of jail or worse.

I really liked the airport fight, but I agree with jmc about Vision. He was strangely absent for most of the fight.

This. Wanda was ****ing **** up left and right, without anyone stopping her. Vision should have gone straight for her. Logically, he should have tried to immobilize her right away.

To use them as a red herring and lure Cap/Stark to that Soviet bunker. At the end of the day, he could have shown them that video of Stark's parents being murdered almost anywhere. Alas the movie wanted them to brawl in a secluded location, so that's how they wrote it.

With the way the Russo Bros teased Cap 3 having a 'controversial ending', I was pretty disappointed with the end

That's my biggest gripe with the movie as well. I don't mind the Zemo character. While not integral to the story this villain still serves his purpose and has a pretty believable motivation for doing what he did. I was hoping for someone, preferably Rogers, to die in CW, only to be resurrected for Infinity War to fight Thanos. It's not exactly the emotional arc I was hoping for. Movie still rocks though and it's a very small gripe for me.

I loved the film, a solid 9/10.
Best comic book/superhero film ever, in my honest opinion.
That being said, it disappointed in a few areas, which affected my score from being higher.
Will put them in spoiler tags (even if most of us have seen it)

1) The predictable plot twists
- Stark explains to MIT that he wishes that was how he said goodbye to his parents
- We are given a flashback to the Winter Soldier going after a car.
Even though we are never shown who was in the car, I knew straight away that it was the Starks. As soon as it happened, I said "he murdered the Starks." The dude next to me looked at me LOL!

Also the Zemo-as-Barnes thing was obvious too, just for the frame-up

2) Crossbones dying.
I loved Grillo as Rumlow in the Winter Soldier. I would have loved to have seen him continue to exist in the MCU in some capacity, not just as a plot point.

3) The country/city hopping and giant font.
I know they wanted to make the story global in scale and scope, but I feel like that was overdone. Also in CA:TWS, they showed locations in smaller font in the corner of the screen. Even though the footage just showed the locations, the giant font just masked the scenery for me.

4) Spidey shoe-horned in
Now I love Spidey, he's my favourite superhero of all time and the reason I got into comics/superheroes. I also loved him in Civil War, he was a definite highlight.
Personally though, I would have loved to have seen a bit more of proto-suit Spidey or a quick, natural scene instead of footage from Stark. I get that it was quick, but the inclusion didn't feel 100% natural. I feel it could have been improved if Stark was flying around New York and seen a red-blue blur swing past him or something like that, not via some clips on the web (pun intended)

Final one - it wasn't long enough lol, I genuinely loved it despite these gripes. I feel an extra 15 - 30 minutes could have fleshed things out a bit more, let things flow more organically, so to speak. I know it's not gonna happen, but I wish we could get an extended cut.

That's pretty much it

Last edited:
I thought the ending was great

caps letter to tony was perfect he apologized and left the team to ironman, but still said if they needed them that they would come back to help which is what will happen in infinity war. So in essence they wont technically be part of the avengers anymore but they can come back when something big happens.

My biggest issue with this film is that nobody in the film knows how to accurately pronounce Lagos.

Ha! That was mine too.

Whatever the flaws of this film, there's nothing half as daft as that magical escape-tunnel-drawing pen in The Winter Soldier.

So, the Team Cap v Team Iron Man battle was floating around on facebook today so I had another look over it. I think the main problem is Hawkeye, he just feels so out of place due to not being introduced earlier in the movie. The battle is still a little all over the place in parts, but I think it's because there's no real bad guy in the fight so it becomes a little hard to distinguish who's on which team. When there are multiple good guys fighting one and other it becomes a bit tricky to remember the teams involved. That said though, I can already picture it in my head how Infinity War may look when they all unite.
Hawkeye was introduced before the airport fight...

Disliked just some minor things.

- Spidey's high-tech webshooters. I'm not a fan of anything that reminds me of the Ultimate Spider-Man cartoon.
- Zemo really just being Zemo in name only. Even though I liked his plan and motivation.
- That we get the Raft, and yet Crossbones had to bite the dust.

I think that's pretty much it. Just nitpicks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
joelschmole
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"