Age of Ultron SPOILERS INSIDE What you didn't like about Avengers: Age of Ultron - Flaws/Critiques

I watched the movie today and frankly speaking it is weakest of the MCU movies I have seen so far in my opinion. First: too many characters. Second: really weak villain. OK - the single "body" can be weak but he should be presented as unstoppable because of constant "rebirth" - like swarm of hornets...

Contrary to some opinions before: I believe that Quicksilver plot was good - jokes and "bam". The guy is dead (At least what we see in the movie). Plot on Hawkeye family is weak - I like the idea where he is the only one to get them into "shape" after being "hit" by Scarlet Witch but the family should just mentioned.

I like the plot on Natasha and Bruce but it jumped out of nowhere - was there any hints before? Of course it is completely absurd - who sane would turn down Scarlett :ilv:?

Relentless quipping. I like a good quip just not one after the other. Poor chemistry between Mark and Scarlet.As a concept is was fine. I thought the actors sold it pretty poorly.

One thing I loved about the Avengers was Cap providing strategy of attack for the whole team. I was hoping this would appear in AoU. Alas, it did not. The first Avengers worked so well because it strongly highlighted the differences in each member of the team. I felt like this time around that was thrown out, the team was much more homogenized this time around.
Cap didn't really need to provide the strategy as the Ultron drones are weak as ****
A normal person without any special strength can destroy one with a single baseball bat,Nick Fury destroyed one in the helicarrier

The movie wasn't bad.. just didn't have the magic of the first movie.

When people complain that there's too much going on, part of the reason is because the film suffers from moneyshot fatigue. Sure, each awesome action scene is great on it's own merit... but you can't have awesome key action bit then another awesome key action bit.. then another.. and so on. It makes each of these less special.

I really need to see it again as I am not even quite sure what I didn't like about it. I left the theater unsatisfied.

Other than the obvious studio meddling and Marvel's house style, the editing. It was jumpy in parts, and it created a lot of pacing problems.

Relentless quipping. I like a good quip just not one after the other. Poor chemistry between Mark and Scarlet.As a concept is was fine. I thought the actors sold it pretty poorly.
Agree on the second point. People keep saying it came out of nowhere, but that's not really true. They interacted quite a bit in the first movie. Johansson and Ruffolo never really clucked, though, and I can't picture them as anything but acquaintances.

Just saw this again. This movie is underrated bad. It is so much worse than the credit it's given. Like a few Marvel movies that for some reason get passes, meanwhile flawed but decent films like Man of Steel get held to much higher standards.

Relentless quips and tension deflating ATTEMPTS at humor. Excessive and cheap looking CGI. Hulk regression, visually and in character. CGI villains just don't work IMO. Makes the experience cartoony. Ultron is severely underwhelming. Too Whedony in design and dialogue. One too many characters that serve no purpose. Poor action sequences, one blatantly ripped off from Raimi's Spiderman 2. And some TV quality caliber cinematography. Particularly that horrendously cheesy group shot to start the film when they all simultaneously leap in complete alignment. Lazy and gimmicky retread of mind control to push the plot forward, instead of organic motivations for different characters psyches to make the conflict evolve interestingly. Random plot derailment to advertise the next batch of films. Poor excuse making for Man of Steel and unrealistically saving all civilians in the climactic final battle. Once again no tension or sense of danger. Overall it was a shallow, soulless, less fun version of the original. Crammed with unnecessary characters, subplots and motivations out of character. To add insult to injury ... there is no issue between Tony and Cap to end the film that would be the organic leaping point for Civil War. Tony should've been arrested by the government.

Age of Ultron will not endure. Point blank it all sucked. Lump it in with the other crappy Marvel films no one wants to acknowledge.

Well it is his view. Doesn't change the fact I still like it. It was entertaining to me. lol

Well it is his view. Doesn't change the fact I still like it. It was entertaining to me. lol

He keeps bashing every Marvel property so he has an agenda. Notice the multiple references to MoS.

Well you either like both companies or you don't.
My biggest issue tho with Mos was all the unessary building trashing, you kind of get it with ONE or TWO. With the Nolan Bats to me Bruce relied too much on Fox.
With me it's minor things but I still like them all because they entertain me

He keeps bashing every Marvel property so he has an agenda. Notice the multiple references to MoS.

Actually I said I have issues with MOS. Just don't understand why people aren't as harsh on Marvel's fluff films. I love Iron Man. I really liked Winter Soldier. I found Iron Man 2 and Avengers to at least be entertaining. I love the first 2 Blade films.

It's not a company or brand name thing. I hated Green Lantern. I'm skeptical about BvS and still have many reservations. I just call out bad movies when I see it. This thread is about what you didn't like ... so there is nothing wrong with me voicing it here. What bothers me is shifting levels of criticisms for different films from different brands in the same subgenre.

he does have some valid points though whether he's a DC fanboy or not. I thought AoU was a disappointment and didnt live up up to the momentum that Avengers 1 built. There were choices made with it that make me cringe and the forced humor is at the top of the worst offense list. I wont go into a long rant bc I dont think it was a bad film, but it also wasnt a great one. Probably my least favorite Phase 2 film after Iron Man 3

he does have some valid points though whether he's a DC fanboy or not. I thought AoU was a disappointment and didnt live up up to the momentum that Avengers 1 built. There were choices made with it that make me cringe and the forced humor is at the top of the worst offense list. I wont go into a long rant bc I dont think it was a bad film, but it also wasnt a great one. Probably my least favorite Phase 2 film after Iron Man 3

It's too simplistic to say I'm hating on every Marvel property and am strictly a DC stan because it appears in my username.

I don't like many DC films. Superman TM, Superman 2, Superman 3, Superman 4, Batman Returns, Batman Forever, Batman and Robin, Catwoman, and most recently Green Lantern.

I wasn't in love with Man of Steel either. It had plenty of flaws. But it' also had a lot going for it in terms of an origin story, universe and myth building. But it's nit picked to death by Donner loyalists and Marvel Studio fan boys. Which is really why it was so divisive and why it's RT score among movie critics was so harsh. And I firmly believe it had more going for it than Age of Ultron. Maybe even more than the first Avengers. The latter was purely more entertaining and easy to consume.

All the issues I address with Ultron are based in reason or fact. So many Marvel studio films get free passes, it's ridiculous.

It's too simplistic to say I'm hating on every Marvel property and am strictly a DC stan because it appears in my username.

I don't like many DC films. Superman TM, Superman 2, Superman 3, Superman 4, Batman Returns, Batman Forever, Batman and Robin, Catwoman, and most recently Green Lantern.

I wasn't in love with Man of Steel either. It had plenty of flaws. But it' also had a lot going for it in terms of an origin story, universe and myth building. But it's nit picked to death by Donner loyalists and Marvel Studio fan boys. Which is really why it was so divisive and why it's RT score among movie critics was so harsh. And I firmly believe it had more going for it than Age of Ultron. Maybe even more than the first Avengers. The latter was purely more entertaining and easy to consume.

All the issues I address with Ultron are based in reason or fact. So many Marvel studio films get free passes, it's ridiculous.

It's cool to state your opinion and like what you like. Saying you think Man of Steel has more going for it than Age of Ultron is your opinion and a valid one, but it's still your opinion, far from a fact.

If people enjoy something you don't, then just be happy with your own opinion. If something is "getting a pass' and you don't get why, then just chalk it down that you are not the target audience.

That said, it dosen't mean that the movie you didn't like sucks, it could still be perfectly fine...it just means it sucks for you.

Didn't care about the villain or villains as usual. Tony Stark extremely unlikable , capt. America always right about everything, trip to hawkeye's house was weird, Thor taking a bath for some weird reason out of nowhere, the no swearing quips over and over and over. Quips from even side characters nearly every scene. I thought stark was retired? Romance all of a sudden with banner and widow. Quicksilver death when you know they'll just bring him back like they bring everybody back. Movie was a stinker.

My biggest complaint of AoU was killing Quicksilver. I love the Maximoff twins, I love the actors they chose to portray them, and his death felt so senseless. Not only would it have had a bigger impact if a more known hero died, but wasting an interesting character and leaving the hot topic wig version from X-Men to be the only one we have now is just insulting.

I'm still not over it (clearly)

My initial reaction in the theater was good, but I thought the movie fell short of great. I got emotional at Quicksilver's death, and the image of the Thor/Vision/Iron Man destruction of Ultron gave me chills, so I walked out generally satisfied. On a second watching though, I noticed that the QS death was a little off, because it was no longer a shock. The takedown of Ultron didn't do much either, because I knew he would still be running around afterwards.

I also found myself fast forwarding through the romance subplot between Bruce and Natasha. Ultron didn't grow on me at all, and he was a really weak and frankly sometimes confusing villain. Were they trying to make him human at times to give him a more complex motivation? Then at another point they would make him seem like an unstoppable machine but not properly set that up or pay it off.

Vision was impressive visually and I liked the way he looked to Thor as an example of how to be heroic. Hawkeye's character got a chance to really shine. I thought the story was fine, and as always they did an excellent job about portraying the characters as heroic. One of my favourite parts was perhaps the throwaway line of Tony quickly buying the building (via Jarvis) that he brought down on the Hulk, and the whole Hulkbuster fight.

Overall AOU is a good film, but there are a number of areas in which it could definitely improve. The two most glaring would be to make the villain more menacing, and to remove the romance subplot.

Just saw this again. This movie is underrated bad. It is so much worse than the credit it's given. Like a few Marvel movies that for some reason get passes, meanwhile flawed but decent films like Man of Steel get held to much higher standards.

Relentless quips and tension deflating ATTEMPTS at humor. Excessive and cheap looking CGI. Hulk regression, visually and in character. CGI villains just don't work IMO. Makes the experience cartoony. Ultron is severely underwhelming. Too Whedony in design and dialogue. One too many characters that serve no purpose. Poor action sequences, one blatantly ripped off from Raimi's Spiderman 2. And some TV quality caliber cinematography. Particularly that horrendously cheesy group shot to start the film when they all simultaneously leap in complete alignment. Lazy and gimmicky retread of mind control to push the plot forward, instead of organic motivations for different characters psyches to make the conflict evolve interestingly. Random plot derailment to advertise the next batch of films. Poor excuse making for Man of Steel and unrealistically saving all civilians in the climactic final battle. Once again no tension or sense of danger. Overall it was a shallow, soulless, less fun version of the original. Crammed with unnecessary characters, subplots and motivations out of character. To add insult to injury ... there is no issue between Tony and Cap to end the film that would be the organic leaping point for Civil War. Tony should've been arrested by the government.

Age of Ultron will not endure. Point blank it all sucked. Lump it in with the other crappy Marvel films no one wants to acknowledge.

Just watched again today on Netflix out of boredom and I agree with everything you stated, especially what I highlighted.

God I despise forced humor in movies. Almost as much as watching a movie and knowing before the first scene starts that there will not really be any danger at all. Quicksilver dying just didn't affect me.

Having too many characters didn't seem to stop Civil War being awesome. I think it depends on the skills of the writer in giving everyone an appropriate sized arc within whatever limited time they have.

Watched it again last night...just had a question. If Ultron can get himself on the internet and all forms of technology why cant he hijack Tony's suit? And why couldnt he intercept the call for the Hulk Buster armor? Seems like the plan was for Hulk to go nuts, he could have stopped them from releasing Veronica and really screw Stark

Just confused by that part

Watched it again last night...just had a question. If Ultron can get himself on the internet and all forms of technology why cant he hijack Tony's suit? And why couldnt he intercept the call for the Hulk Buster armor? Seems like the plan was for Hulk to go nuts, he could have stopped them from releasing Veronica and really screw Stark

Just confused by that part
There was a deleted/extended scene that took place right around where they discover Strucker's been killed, where Romanoff is having a video conference with Rhodey and Tony walks by and mentions that he's sending a new encryption drive (or something) for the War Machine armor.

Even without that scene (since it didn't make the final film), I don't think it's too out there to assume that one of the first things did after the fight at Avengers Tower was to add additional security to his armor(s) to prevent Ultron from getting in.

There was a deleted/extended scene that took place right around where they discover Strucker's been killed, where Romanoff is having a video conference with Rhodey and Tony walks by and mentions that he's sending a new encryption drive (or something) for the War Machine armor.

Even without that scene (since it didn't make the final film), I don't think it's too out there to assume that one of the first things did after the fight at Avengers Tower was to add additional security to his armor(s) to prevent Ultron from getting in.

makes sense

Having too many characters didn't seem to stop Civil War being awesome. I think it depends on the skills of the writer in giving everyone an appropriate sized arc within whatever limited time they have.

Having too many characters was never Age of Ultron's problem, it was pacing and editing. In fact AoU did more with its characters than Civil War but CW feels more focused because Cap is the one driving the story and aside from Iron Man most of its supporting characters have very little screentime compared to AoU.

In terms of writing I think Whedon is more talented than the CW writers, the difference is that the Russo brothers are amazing directors who elevate their scripts.

A Whedon script directed by the Russos would be brilliant.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"