Days of Future Past What you didn't like about X-Men:DOFP - Flaws/Critiques

Since Magneto wasn't In end Ian Mckellen has essential been erased from series.For those who prefer Rebecca Romijn as Mystique since she also wasn't In end she too has basicly been erased from series except for when In First Class Jennifer Lawrence briefly morphed Into her.

As of right now we know for sure only 2 films for sure in X-Men films are coming-Apocalypse and Wolverine solo film.Beyond that It's just talk and speculation for now.We can pretty much gurante Hugh jackman will be back for both but for now we don't know if we will see the wolverine from trilogy who woke up In new future at end of DOFP.It may just be wolverine who was found by Mystique at end of DOFP who has no memory of what went done In DOFP.

I take minority view of ending that seeing most of original cast doesn't mean much since everything we pretty much saw them In now has been erased.Not just the bad films The Last Stand and Origins but the good ones too.

There are unknowns what will happen after Apocalypse since noone knows IF First Class cast will return after their 3 film contract Is done.The original cast has shown willingness to return that we don't know if FC cast will share.

Fox and creative team really wants to have it both ways

They want films to not have to lineup with what was established In trilogy at same time they want people to still view films as being connected to trilogy

They want to turn franchise cast Into FC main actors+Hugh Jackman+new actors but at same time they want actors In FC trilogy to be seen as playing younger versions of characters In trilogy.Whoever Is cast as Cyclops,Jean,and storm In Apocalypse based on ending of DOFP are still younger versions of James Marsden,Famke Janssen,and halle Berry's characters.

Since Magneto wasn't In end Ian Mckellen has essential been erased from series.For those who prefer Rebecca Romijn as Mystique since she also wasn't In end she too has basicly been erased from series except for when In First Class Jennifer Lawrence briefly morphed Into her.

No, they haven't.

To avoid this thread being turned into arguement yeah the trilogy leads Into DOFP where the time travel effectly "reboots" series by creating "New Timeline"

Kitty herself tells wolverine that Is sussessful it would be like the last 50 years never happened which for audences means trilogy,and 1973 and up parts of wolverine solo films as well as post-Apocalypic future of DOFP with Sentinles.

Anna Paquin,Shawn Ashmore,Kelsey Grammer,Ellen Page,Daniel Cudmore,Halle Berry,Famke Janssen,James Marsden,and Patrick Stewart are still part of new
timeline of series due to fact they are In new future Hugh Jackman wakes up In after wolverine's actions In past have lead to Xavier convincing Mystique not to kill Trask.Magneto and Mystique are not seen In new future thus their fates are unknown.

Ian Mckellen's entire time as magneto has essential been erased by the "Timetravel created reboot" As far as Rebecca Romijn her cameo In FC Is still "Cannon" since the time travel of DOFP does not affect First Class but her time as Mystique from Trilogy Is now gone after the time travel of DOFP and she wasn't In new future ending.

Well, unless there are plans to bring back the Original Cast for one more film after "Apocalypse", I think it's safe to assume that their cameos/appearances in "DOFP" will be the last that we see of the Original Cast in their roles. They're not getting any younger and I'm sure Fox and Singer are going to want to milk out the new cast like how they've been doing with James, Michael, Jennifer, and Nicholas.

Well DOFP didn't just get $745 million worldwide from the goodwill from X-Men: First Class and The Wolverine. The return of the "beloved" original cast was a big factor to the success of the film, see the marketing. James, Michael, Jennifer, and Nicholas were always gonna have a substantial role in the sequel since Fox envisioned a trilogy for them but go back to 2011, who would have thought that they would share the spotlight (in their 2nd film) with the original cast who were thought to be over by many during that time.

Simon Kinberg wanted that scene to be the send off for the OT cast but didn't Fox tell him to leave it open? Fox, Snger, Millar, Kinberg... everyone working on this series right now mentioned expanding the series and how is it expanding the series by ditching the cast that started the series and just appeared in the highest grossing X-Men film to date? More likely, Fox will milk out the return of the original cast because there's already a big sense of familiarity to them. Unlike with the new cast that they would just hire maybe this year, it would take time before the audience get really use to them and appear more than just as the "young-ins". Especially if Dawn of Justice, Justice League and Avengers 3 (with the possible addition of Ant-Man/Doctor Strange and maybe GOTG) perform really massive, Fox wouldn't let go of one of their most successful cast in the X-Men series.

Last edited:
Simon Kinberg wanted that scene to be the send off for the OT cast but didn't Fox tell him to leave it open?

From how kinberg spoke in the comic con podcast it sounds like fox didn't say anything and that they had a lot of freedom and I don't remember hearing him ever saying fox told him to leave it open because I very much doubt it was ever closed to begin with, just like X3 was meant as a possible ending but wasn't closed

So no idea where you get that idea from

Last edited:
In all likelyhood Lauren Shueller Donner and possibly Bryan Singer wanted to
leave door open.Now question Is besides Hugh Jackman will we see any of
original cast again.

If you listened to SImon Kinberg's comic con podcae again they are walking fine line with the trilogy.He briefly talks about undoing dark phoenix and the deaths of Last stand yet because mutants become public In 1973 it isn't just Last Stand they are getting rid of but also X-Men and X2.At same time suggesting some events of X-Men,X2,and even Last Stand still happen.

Do you guys think Singer made his Quicksilver too powerful in this franchise? I mean given what we saw of Peter's abilities in this film, one must wonder on how any villain would be able to defeat him. His speed levels are practically akin to stopping time itself. Heck, even Magneto wouldn't be able to stop him.

Maybe if Fassbender raised his voice as much as he did at Charles on the plane and told him to stop, then Quicksilver would slow down. Or maybe his mother, haha

Jokes aside, I'm sure they'll come up with something. Hopefully he won't be taken out in the same way Callisto was in X3.

Do you guys think Singer made his Quicksilver too powerful in this franchise?

No. That never came to my mind. And as you see in the film, Quicksilver wasn't fighting with other powerful mutants. It all comes down to writing. You bring in someone like Leech and suddenly he would be depowered.

what I also didn't like about this movie was Beast's appearance.
He doesn't look like a Beast.
He was perfect in First Class.

X-Men-First-Class-Beast.jpg

beast.jpg

Is not really a critique but more of a question, why does Quicksilver put his headphones in the kitchen scene? What can he listen to in just one second?

Is not really a critique but more of a question, why does Quicksilver put his headphones in the kitchen scene? What can he listen to in just one second?
maybe he already has his music sped up?

Yeah, but for what? One second?

Here are a few things I didnt like about this movie...

Mistique looked too dark and the paint was too shiny most of the time. In many scenes she looked like she was wearing a cheap cosplay costume.

How did they have a flatscreen computer monitor in 1973? In the scene in Paris where Magneto tries to kill Mistique, Trask was showing his plans on a flatscreen monitor.

I think the film would have been much better if Brian Singer would have just been in the theatre watching as a fan. Every one of his movies feels the same and show that he has very little talent as a director. X:FC was the best over all X-men movie and it was directed by Matthew Vaughn.

So the serum developed by Beast takes away their Mutant-ness? So the government could just get that and forcefully administer it to all mutants?

They killed of almost all of the First Class mutants. At least the ones that Singer doesn’t like. It was kind of like a jealousy thing because Singer wants to use his favorite mutants and doesn’t want the audience to remember that there are other mutants out there that are just as cool and work just as well as the ones he likes…

What was Magneto using to look at the Sentinel blue prints with? It looked like he was using a glass vial to act as a projector and project the images on the wall. This must also be a secondary power, one that no one has ever mentioned or heard of before.

This is not a problem but an observation...
The guy who played Quicksilver reminded me of a young Johnny Depp.

I'm sorry but aside from the first complaint these are dumb nitpicks that don't make any sense. It seems to me that you're just a singer hater.

Im glad that you think these things wrong with the movie are just nitpicks...

I hadn't noticed the monitors but for continuity sake, that is a goof that Im surprised no one involved with the film, hadn't picked up on

The monitor could have been some advanced technology from trask industries. I mean for god's sake if you can accept Shaw's super advanced sumbarine in first class I don't see why you can't accept this.

How did they have a flatscreen computer monitor in 1973? In the scene in Paris where Magneto tries to kill Mistique, Trask was showing his plans on a flatscreen monitor.

What was Magneto using to look at the Sentinel blue prints with? It looked like he was using a glass vial to act as a projector and project the images on the wall. This must also be a secondary power, one that no one has ever mentioned or heard of before.

Jesus. Christ. :woot:

Maybe watch the movie closely next time. LOL

Psstt...here's a hint: These two complaints are related.

What are you talking about?! This couldn't be more untrue.

Ian Mckellen and Rebecca Romijn haven't been erased from anything. Neither has Aaron Stanford's Pyro, Alan Cumming's Nightcrawler or Bruce Davidson's Senator Kelly.

They all exist. They are all IN the series. That's like saying Heath Ledger's Joker doesn't exist in The Dark Knight Trilogy just because he wasn't in The Dark Knight Rises.

X-Men: Days of Future Past doesn't stand without watching X-Men, X2: X-Men United and X-Men: The Last Stand. They are just as essential viewing as X-Men: First Class and The Wolverine. The X-Men Film Franchise goes in a loop.

X-Men: First Class occurs. Then the A-TRACK of events that lead to X-Men, X2: X-Men United and X-Men: The Last Stand. These events include X-Men Origins: Wolverine in the meantime. Then Logan travels to Japan and the events of The Wolverine occur. 2 years later, Logan discovers Xavier is still alive and that Magneto and he need Logan's help. Skip forward 4-5 years and the mutants have lost the war and the future portion of X-Men: Days of Future Past occur. Logan is sent into the past and alters the future.

In the NEW 1973, we get the B-TRACK of history that we are still watching play out. But you can't get to the B-Track without having lived through/watched the A-Track. This new rewriting of history doesn't diminish any of what came before it. That all STILL HAPPENED, because without the events on the first 6 films, this film and new timeline never exists and they never arrive at it. It's just that time has now looped back over and it is happening again, with certain differences.

-R

Last edited:
The monitor could have been some advanced technology from trask industries. I mean for god's sake if you can accept Shaw's super advanced sumbarine in first class I don't see why you can't accept this.

See below, though.

Jesus. Christ. :woot:

Maybe watch the movie closely next time. LOL

Psstt...here's a hint: These two complaints are related.

It was a projector.

It was a back-lit projector that was shining on essentially a blank piece of glass. He was using FILM SLIDES. A roll of film that Magneto takes with him as he pursues Mystique and then later watches as he stitches his head. He uses an empty glass jar and a flashlight to project the film.

A lot of complaints in this thread are answered just from upping your movie IQ and paying attention.

-R

X-Men: Days of Future Past doesn't stand without watching X-Men, X2: X-Men United and X-Men: The Last Stand. They are just as essential viewing as X-Men: First Class and The Wolverine. The X-Men Film Franchise goes in a loop.

Exactly!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"