What you didn't like about Ant-Man - Flaws/Critiques

Also I didn't like the fact that the entire police station went ape **** when Lang escaped. He was a low level, non-violent criminal. They responded as though he was Hannibal Lecter or Ted Bundy.

He escaped from police custody in jail. That is a big deal.

As for what I didn't like.... why the elaborate break-in? Couldn't hope just put him in her pocket? They managed to get a tank through security...

Well, they got a tank through security, but people were aware it existed, just not what it was. The implication was the full body scanners would detect Ant-Man and they'd be looking for a tiny living person. They didn't look to see if a keychain was more than a keychain.

Just pulling complaints out of the *** lol

Superman wasnt in this? Why not? They have something against Superrman?!

Why would he have to win her over? It was her vote on the board of directors which ousted him from Pym Labs (she held the final vote), which led to Cross creating a variant of the pym particles and the YJ suit.

She went back to good ol' dad because what happened was basically her fault and together they teamed up to put a stop to it. Albeit, it was clear some of participation was begrudgingly because of her insistence in being the one to wear the Ant-Man suit.
I guess I would have liked to see her lose faith in Cross. It would have added more to her and Cross' arcs. "Show, Don't Tell".

Yeah, there's was quite a bit of that with those two characters in particular. We're TOLD about stuff that happened with them in the past, and TOLD about their issues with Hank. But we don't get to SEE nearly enough of it, so it loses some of it's effectiveness/emotional core.

Oh and the same goes for Janet. I'd have liked to have gotten more on Hank's feelings for her beyond "I loved her" and more details about her "death," Hank's reaction. Especially if that's going to be the "big mistake" that he made instead of say, creating Ultron.

Forgot about that. Great point. I'm sure it will fall on dead eyes though.

"Differently" is not the same as what's being implied for making the movie better. The issue Bayne is aruing over was explicitly explained in the movie.

First of all, cut the condescending nonsense. It's not helping you're argument, it just makes you look bad. Second, just because something is "explained in the movie," doesn't mean that we are automatically REQUIRED to think that the explantion works, or makes sense, or is good. If that were the case, then I'd be obligated to think that Michael Bay films are well-written, because technically most stuff is "explained there." That doesn't immediately make the explanation GOOD. And that's the case for LOTS of films.

The fact that you cannot seem to wrap your head around this basic idea is puzzling to me.

Yeah, there's was quite a bit of that with those two characters in particular. We're TOLD about stuff that happened with them in the past, and TOLD about their issues with Hank. But we don't get to SEE nearly enough of it, so it loses some of it's effectiveness/emotional core.

Oh and the same goes for Janet. I'd have liked to have gotten more on Hank's feelings for her beyond "I loved her" and more details about her "death," Hank's reaction. Especially if that's going to be the "big mistake" that he made instead of say, creating Ultron.

You have to pick your battles in what you're going to show and what you're going to tell. The whole entire movie can't be an origin of every little detail. Constantly flashing back to explain is bad film making.

More details about Janet's death????? She got lost in the quantum realm, what else is there to talk about or could be talked about concerning it? All Pym knew about it was that it's a place where the laws of physics don't apply. That's all he could confirm.

Last edited:
First of all, cut the condescending nonsense. It's not helping you're argument, it just makes you look bad. Second, just because something is "explained in the movie," doesn't mean that we are automatically REQUIRED to think that the explantion works, or makes sense, or is good. If that were the case, then I'd be obligated to think that Michael Bay films are well-written, because technically most stuff is "explained there." That doesn't immediately make the explanation GOOD. And that's the case for LOTS of films.

The fact that you cannot seem to wrap your head around this basic idea is puzzling to me.

Still more "generalities" and this time comparing Michael Bay no less. Talk about puzzling. Bay movies are on a whole other level when it comes to what you're complaining about.

You continue to rant that something isn't good or "makes sense" but have shown no ability to properly explain why other than you wanted "more". That doesn't make the execution any less efficient on the movie's part.

Last edited:

I agree that showing is important, but Hank and Hope were both side characters in this movie. While their subplots were interesting, the character we're supposed to empathize with the is Scott. Showing unnecessary flashbacks of other characters would detract from that.

It's the same reason we don't see a sad montage in Up about Russel's dad never being there for him. The emotional center of that movie is Carl, and it's his eyes we are supposed to be seeing through.

Last edited:
You dont need to show everything to get a certain effect. Plus as was noted, Ant Man is Scott Langs story, its not really supposed to be all about Hank etc. They arent the main characters, its a passing of the torch story. I do think they gave plenty of background info about him, Janet, Hope and Cross to bring us up to speed. In a way we're supposed to be like Scott is, hes kinda just thrown into this crazy adventure and we go with him. As he's learning, we are too. But you cant expect the whole movie to revolve around other characters if hes the lead.

Last edited:
Feige confirmed Hope will appear in Phase 3. You really think Marvel would just put that mid credits scene and have it lead to nowhere? Come on now. You know that's not the case. They have repeatedly shown that they know what they're doing.

The mid-credits scene of Incredible Hulk basically led to nowhere.

There was neither a midcredits or postcredits scene in Incredible Hulk.

The mid-credits scene of Incredible Hulk basically led to nowhere.

Which was their second film, about seven years ago, when they were still getting their feet planted as a studio. Not really a valid comparison.

Which was their second film, about seven years ago, when they were still getting their feet planted as a studio. Not really a valid comparison.
It is valid because that's not what was said.

It is valid because that's not what was said.

You're trying to argue the mid-credit scene of Marvels 12th film could lead to nowhere because the ending scene (not mid-credit) in their 2nd movie led to a one-shot on the Thor blu-Ray. Again, not a valid comparison no matter how much you insist otherwise.

Last edited:
Really liked Corey Stoll in House of Cards, but wow was he awful in this.

I guess this would be a goof but, Scott Lange exhausted all of his Pym Particles damaging Yellowjacket's regulator & was left shrunken in the Quantum Realm with no way out except for the blue disc but when he used the disc to grow full size again, where did Scott Lange get the reserve Pym Particles that he used to shrink back down again in Cassie's room?

I guess this would be a goof but, Scott Lange exhausted all of his Pym Particles damaging Yellowjacket's regulator & was left shrunken in the Quantum Realm with no way out except for the blue disc but when he used the disc to grow full size again, where did Scott Lange get the reserve Pym Particles that he used to shrink back down again in Cassie's room?
The way I understood it, he didn't exhaust all of his Pym Particles. What caused him to shrink uncontrollably was simply tampering with his own regulator and the problem was that once disabled it couldn't be re-enabled- causing him to continue shrinking until Scott thought of the enlarging discs.

That said, even if he did run out. Pym gave him two types of weaponized discs. The ones to make something larger, and ones to make things smaller. He could have used one of the weaponized shrinking discs on himself

The way I understood it, he didn't exhaust all of his Pym Particles. What caused him to shrink uncontrollably was simply tampering with his own regulator and the problem was that once disabled it couldn't be re-enabled- causing him to continue shrinking until Scott thought of the enlarging discs.

That said, even if he did run out. Pym gave him two types of weaponized discs. The ones to make something larger, and ones to make things smaller. He could have used one of the weaponized shrinking discs on himself
Yeah Scott had a type of dispencer on the side of his belt, sort of like the Change/Coin dispencers that went on belts for Drive-up fast food places and old Full Serve gas stations (used to wear one that's why I remember it) it was his LAST enlarging disc if I recall right because he fumbled and almost lost it in Sub-Space

Yeah there was no issue with that scene at all, its actually one of my favourite in the movie. I just wish we could have seen more of the quantum realm.

On the Helicopter, How was Darren Cross able to hear Ant-Man/Scott say "It Never Just A Heist" when Scott was shrunk down & Cross was still full size?

On the Helicopter, How was Darren Cross able to hear Ant-Man/Scott say "It Never Just A Heist" when Scott was shrunk down & Cross was still full size?

Luis heard Scott saying "look at your shoulder" in the same situation earlier. So it seems he could still speak to people when he wanted to.

In retrospect, Ant Man infiltrating the Avengers HQ (conspicuosly empty but for Falcon, though the last time we saw it the place was bustling with activity of Avengers and dozens of other staff) felt like Deadpool visiting the X-Mansion. "It's like the studio couldn't afford any other heroes".

Makes me like that scene even less.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"