• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Comics What you miss most about Spider Man

I just miss opening a 616 Spider-man comic and having fun. Nothing deep or mystical or dramatic or anything of the sought. Just a fun read with some great Peter/MJ moments. Storylines stop being dramatic when EVERY SINGLE storyline starts off with "in this storyline, Spidey's life will be changed forever". Its annoying now.

Also, let the character mature and grow already...like his readers have over the years. Let Peter stay married with MJ, have kids, move into there own place.....just let Peter Parker get older.

Loveable Loser said:
Like most of you, I really miss attention to continuity...
but most of all I just miss Peter being an average, ordinary guy in his personal life.

Peter's life used to be really mundane. He always had money problems, problems with his girl-friends, even problems finishing his school-work when he was at university. In addition to all these problems that most of us can relate to, he had his responsibilities as Spider-Man. His life wasn't better because he was Spidey. It took alot out of him. His responsibility as Spider-Man seemed to be a burden that he couldn't quite carry and give his personal life the attention it needed.

It's been a while since it seemed like his life sucked. He's got a supermodel wife, no money problems. Heck, he doesn't even need to keep his identity as Spidey from Aunt May. (Or anyone else, it seems lately.)

As for Spider-Man being a burden on his life, he now lives in Stark Tower rent-free because he's Spider-Man.
What problems does he have? Oh right, he's got a mystical curse/disease because of the whole Spider-Totem thing. Good old mundane, everyday guy problems.

Oh, I also miss a sweet, innocent Gwen Stacy who was devoted to Peter and would never, ever cheat on him. (Seriously, did JMS get some help on that story from Jerry Springer or what? -- Sorry, I know that's been discussed ad nauseum, but it still drives me nuts!)

I agree 100%

ragingdemon155 said:
I just miss opening a 616 Spider-man comic and having fun. Nothing deep or mystical or dramatic or anything of the sought. Just a fun read with some great Peter/MJ moments. Storylines stop being dramatic when EVERY SINGLE storyline starts off with "in this storyline, Spidey's life will be changed forever". Its annoying now.

Also, let the character mature and grow already...like his readers have over the years. Let Peter stay married with MJ, have kids, move into there own place.....just let Peter Parker get older.

Preach on, brother.

1. Peter and MJ to break up - Never liked the character. Besides, it's nice to have the option for a new leading lady in the title if fans don't like the current one, or they back her into a box with bad characterization
2. Return of Hobgoblin
3. The return of the real Kraven the Hunter, not any of his knock-off sons. Yes, I'm one of those readers who hated Kraven's Last Hunt. Reading the old Stan Lee issues? He was a good, fun villian
4. Mac Gargan being the Scorpian, not Venom. This reduces Spidey's rogues gallery by one, and makes the history/status quo of Venom even more convoluted.
5. No more Spider-totem.
6. The return of Spider-tracers and Peter cobbling up gear, or specialty webbing, in particular situations
7. Make lesser Spider-man villians like Mysterio, Shocker, Rhino more of a threat, and use them more often
8. Give Normal a break for 3 years, minimum.

The ASM current writer is amazingly talented, it's his storylines that you should take issue with, he's a bit better than just decent imo.

Shadowknight said:
1. Peter and MJ to break up - Never liked the character. Besides, it's nice to have the option for a new leading lady in the title if fans don't like the current one, or they back her into a box with bad characterization Fans do overwhelmingly like the character and the marriage though
2. Return of Hobgoblin Agreed
4. Mac Gargan being the Scorpian, not Venom. This reduces Spidey's rogues gallery by one, and makes the history/status quo of Venom even more convoluted. Agreed
5. No more Spider-totem. That honestly depends on how this whole OTHER thing works out impo
7. Make lesser Spider-man villians like Mysterio, Shocker, Rhino more of a threat, and use them more often without a doubt

One thing I do miss with Spidr-Man is the celebration it use to have. It seems liek Spider-Man books now days are less about telling an ultimately uplifting story and more about showing characters survive, not overcome, but typically survive, strife. I dunno, I'd like to see a few issues or so that just remind us how FUN Spider-Man can be and how much fun Peter has admittedly had (despite the ups and downs) being Spider-Man.

Also, for the love of god, Gwen Stacy is dead, let her go, everytime a writter tries to do the horrible "Peter loved Gwen more" crap it hurts the character and the integrity of the character and the book in general, and frankly makes Peter less enjoyable to read. Gwen is dead, stop using her ghost as an excuse for even more angst. This trend is something that's only done by a few writters, but it drives me insane. Gwen died for a reason in the comics people, she was boring and flat, let her die, move on, accept it!

That Michael Buble Spider-Man remix is a celebration of Spider-Man, I hope we can at least get a few issues a year that cna capture that spirit of celebration of energy.

What do I miss about Spider-Man?

I miss fans who stand behind the character regardless of how much they dislike the story, or the writer, or the art, and stand by the book no matter what.

I miss the Chameleon IMO i would like to see him again soon.

"I miss fans who stand behind the character regardless of how much they dislike the story, or the writer, or the art, and stand by the book no matter what."

...? We all DO love the character, otherwise we wouldn't spend a few hours a week reading over Spider-Man message boards. Regardless, a lot of us are also fed up with the current writers, and shock values, and out-of-character-characterization. How can somebody stand by a comic book that they think sucks? Just because they like the title's main character? It can't work like that. Otherwise, you're just telling the writer and Marvel that you like the current writer.

I LOVE Spider-Man, but I'm not going to read ASM for a LONG time.

Sorry. It just kind of grinds my gears that someone would say I don't like my favorite character just because I hate his main writer.

Much of what of what I miss from Spider-Man comics has already been said by others: The lack of his classic supporting cast like J. Jonah Jameson, Flash Thompson, "Robbie" Robertson, Betty Brant, Liz Allen, etc; the fact that he seems less of an ordinary guy with superpowers vs. a full-blown superhero; and the fact that, for some inexplicible reason, Marvel seem paranoid that if he's married or has a kid (which ordinary guys do) then no one will relate to him.

However, two things I see that are really lacking in Spidey today are even more glaring when I look back through the Essential Volumes. First of all, I miss Peter being able to use his scientific talents to invent something to aid him as Spider-Man. I mean the last guy who actually seemed to improve upon the webbing was Ben Reilly, and he wasn't even the real deal. And the second is the humor. I mean, I now Peter has angst, but he was the Rodney Dangerfield of comics: he got no respect from anybody, but for some reason, we couldn't help but laugh along because we knew exactly how he felt--because we went through the same thing (absent fighting super-villains, of course).

stillanerd said:
I mean, I now Peter has angst, but he was the Rodney Dangerfield of comics: he got no respect from anybody, but for some reason, we couldn't help but laugh along because we knew exactly how he felt--because we went through the same thing (absent fighting super-villains, of course).
You mean you didn't have to fight super-villains growing up?

Lucky...

wes1406 said:
What do I miss about Spider-Man?

I miss fans who stand behind the character regardless of how much they dislike the story, or the writer, or the art, and stand by the book no matter what.

I think you have "not liking the story" and "not liking character" mixed up. The fans have stood behind Spider-man regardless of how bad its gotten at times. Hell most fans stood by the character through out the Clone Saga (I wasn't one of them). I dropped the comics during that period cause I wasn't going to shell out money REGARDLESS of how much I love the character if I wasn't enjoying the story.

You say, you "miss" fans that stand behind the character? Where did these fans go? They're all still here collecting the comic regardless of how bad it might get at times.

Like I said, don't confuse hating the story with hating the character.

Toren said:
You mean you didn't have to fight super-villains growing up?

Lucky...

Hey, I grew up in a small town. Not much to do. Besides, I let my older sister fight them for me.:D

stillanerd said:
Hey, I grew up in a small town. Not much to do. Besides, I let my older sister fight them for me.:D
Well, the GLA are in a relatively small town, and they got to fight Malestrom and Batrocs Brigade. Squirrel Girl took down Thanos and Modok (with AIM soldiers).

Hrm, there just seems to be a lot of animosity towards the comic because of JMS. Personally, I like the story. It's out of the norm. It's different.

I just hate to see " OMG!!1 JMS Suxxors! i will never r34d spidermann again! "

And there just seems to be a lot of that going on around here.

Jesus Christ, it's a good story. Granted, you have your opinions, but don't take it out on the book.

wes1406 said:
Hrm, there just seems to be a lot of animosity towards the comic because of JMS. Personally, I like the story. It's out of the norm. It's different.

Jesus Christ, it's a good story. Granted, you have your opinions, but don't take it out on the book.

Thats because alot of people don't like JMS and the approach he is taking on Spider-man at the moment. "It's a good story" is your "opinion" and your entitled to it, good for you. Why not take your fustration out on the book? If us readers don't like it, of coarse we're going to take it out on the book that we're spending our money on.

wes1406 said:

See thing is alot of us don't think its a good story nor do we think JMS has written a good story for a long time. Quite the opposite in fact.

I can not think of a writer who stands out in the last few years. I have been very happy with JMS run on ASM.

Single issues stories, because dude? I'm sick of the Marvel way of stretching out stories for the trade. Old school stuff like the early Hobgoblin, or even Stan Lee, issues stood on their own as a single issue, while still tying together a long term story arc. Whatever you think of "The Other" you're going to be missing bits by not buying the whole bloody 12 parts over what, 3 titles?

Shadowknight said:
Single issues stories, because dude? I'm sick of the Marvel way of stretching out stories for the trade. Old school stuff like the early Hobgoblin, or even Stan Lee, issues stood on their own as a single issue, while still tying together a long term story arc. Whatever you think of "The Other" you're going to be missing bits by not buying the whole bloody 12 parts over what, 3 titles?

Then you should check out some issues from Spectacular Spider-Man Volume 2. Especially issues # 14 and # 27. Pretty good stand alone stories by Paul Jenkins. :up:

I'm not a fan of Paul Jenkins. But how about this; I FINALLY tracked down a copy of the "Origin of the Hobgoblin" trade which has been out of print since 1991, collecting the first year of Hobgoblin stories. It's one of those things which is almost impossible to find at any price, but I finally did so. It's much easier to find, say, Miracleman trades, but sellers usually want over $100 for the trades.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"