• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Comics What you miss most about Spider Man

Ultimate Doom said:
I miss the GOOD villains

Agreed, when you have a rouges gallery like Spidey you should send them out every now and then, and show them off, And when you create a new villian, you make them good and intresting, and not dull, repetative and have them die in their origin arc
Ex.

Red Hood aka Jason Todd

Whooping Batman's ass on a regular basies, beating up the guy who replaced him, killing criminals and making fun of Batman while doing it. This is how to take a new villian and building him up to the point where he doesn't even look outta place among Bats many A list foes.

batman646.jpg

Vibranium Man = Little ***** Boy

Not even cool enough to have a real super villian name and not even being intresting and unique enough for me to remember his real name. Small in pants Super Villian who has the same, "Great power without responsibility" backstory we've seen since Doc Ock deputed.

AmazingSpider-Man516.jpg

"And when you create a new villian, you make them good and intresting, and not dull, repetative and have them die in their origin arc."

The only ones that come to mind in Spidey are the Murderous Mimes, Fusion and Tracer. Or at least, Tracer said he wasn't dieing, or that he was going away for a bit. Something like that. Everyone else in the last few years are either dead or a rip-off. Personal favorite goes to the Mime Gang. Did I miss anyone?

I miss everything about Spidey... he's been dead & gone for quite some time now.

A return to Spidey's original origin.
No Avengers crap.
No Totem ****...save the mystical stuff for Doc Strange.
Have him and MJ evolve a little, have some kids or whatnot.
KILL FREAKIN' AUNT MAY. She's OLD, she serves no purpose anymore! The guy is going to be 60 and STILL living with his freakin' aunt.
Instead of making **** villains....here's an idea, EVOLVE his current villains! And NO, I dont mean giving them a new look...Good God, Ramos actually made the Green Goblin cool, he gave Dr Octopus a great new edge and feel...come on now, Marvel! Work with it!

Oh yeah...BRING BACK THE HOBGOBLIN.

Until then...A spider-fan, I am not.

The supporting cast. A thousand times the supporting cast. One of the best supporting cast in comics and nobody uses them anymore. Recently JMS did a storyline where a tabloid published a story claiming that Mary-Jane was cheating on Peter with Tony Stark. Now can you imagine how much more impact that would have if Peter were still at the Bugle? Everyone trying to glad-hand him and offer condolences over being married to such a vile shrew, all while he protested that it was all a big misunderstanding? Imagine Jameson's reaction to the whole thing. Comedic tour-de-force.

Now the only people Peter seems to interact with are his wife and aunt. Does he have some kind of phobia or something? Is he carrying the Plague? Is it too much to ask that Felicia or Flash pop up once in a while WITHOUT immediately being raped or put in a coma or whatever foul fate gives Peter something new to anguish about?

-Classic Villains
-Venom being used right
-Single Storys
-Todd McFarlane
-John Romita jr.
-a Happy Peter
-no Ultimates

I never liked Todd McFarlane's art. I know that really brought in a new era for him, but I never got into it. The stories were good though.

thegame_45 said:
I never liked Todd McFarlane's art. I know that really brought in a new era for him, but I never got into it. The stories were good though.
His cartoonish style usually drove away people

Punisher RULES said:
-Classic Villains
-Venom being used right
-Single Storys
While I hate Venom, I do agree that haven't used him right, since what, his second appearance? Most of the time he's been in "lethal protector" mode and doesn't really seem to try to even fight, much less kill Spider-man. Some motivation as a criminal besides trying to kill Peter would be nice as well. Kind of like how the early Doc Ock and Green Goblin stories had them try to take over the city rackets. I'm not saying he should go that route, but just have some point to his existence, you know?

Captivated said:
A supporting cast (Like Betty, Ned, Liz, Flash, Harry, Robbie, Glory, Pete's neighbors and landlords, Mary Jane's friends, Felicia, etc) and all the drama with their lives. Yea, the soap opera stuff neatly woven around the action. I love it.

Peter progressing through life stages and lessons... you know, like most of us do. (A caveat would be: Don't kill Aunt May) He would naturally stay married to MJ (he IS after all a responsible, decent guy, who was marriage-minded early on) but someday let them have kids. This has been a serial from day one.

A STRONG, smart Peter, whose Spider-sense actually works, unless there is a reason given... you know, like his has the flu, etc.

A Peter who wholeheartedly loves his wife, sans mental obsession with a long dead girlfriend. Peter went through the stages of grief. Even though Gwen will always be special to him, he really moved on. He's completely into MJ.

Art on the realistic side, as opposed to the cartoony... I hate the freaky, buggy, scrawny Spidey. (JR Sr. was closer to a Deodato in realism than to Jrs. And has anyone else thought that JR Sr.'s Peter had a sight resemblance to Elvis?)

A more secret secret-identity. Finding out who he is should be a bigger deal.

Webbing that doesn't break. It used to be such tough stuff... now everyone and their dog seems to be able to snap it.

Continuity. Especially respect for foundational, classic, turning point stories and characters. This would have prevented disasters such as Sins Past. Even references to past issues, so we know they are paying attention.

Shorter stories, at least now and then. I don't mind the 6-parters, but how about a stand alone now and then, or a TPB with two 3-part stories? Of course, there should always be the relationship threads that are on-going.

The Letter's page. I love reading these in the old issues.
Remember this thread? Seems this topic comes up constantly... What you MISS may not be what Spidey NEEDS to be considered "back on track" but, it's something to look at.

To the above list I would add:

Respect for Spidey's origin The first several years should serve like a "plumb line." Once AGAIN, this does not mean there cannot be "change"... there HAS to be change... it just means it should be LOGICAL. It should mesh with who the character is. This would mean that Peter's accident was not PLANNED by cosmic forces, making him merely one more in a long line... (Of course, the marriage IS one of those logical progressions... Peter WANTS to be married. Stan, the man HIMSELF planned that one from the get go. Long before it happened in the strip... Sorry JQ. That's a fact.)

More stories that DON"T tear apart Spidey's world Funny ones, like Slott's Spidey and the Human Torch... touching ones like Jenkin's story about the kid with CP... the Valentine story...

Spidey's quips/humor should be juxtaposed to his amazing powers. Otherwise he comes off looking like a whiney, lame, goofball, a la New Avengers.

I'm sure there are more... but this is making my brain hurt...

Captivated said:
Remember this thread? Seems this topic comes up constantly... What you MISS may not be what Spidey NEEDS to be considered "back on track" but, it's something to look at.

To the above list I would add:

Respect for Spidey's origin The first several years should serve like a "plumb line." Once AGAIN, this does not mean there cannot be "change"... there HAS to be change... it just means it should be LOGICAL. It should mesh with who the character is. This would mean that Peter's accident was not planned by (Of course, the marriage IS one of those logical progressions... Peter WANTS to be married. Stan, the man HIMSELF planned that one from the get go. Long before it happened in the strip... Sorry JQ. That's a fact.)

More stories that DON"T tear apart Spidey's world Funny ones, like Slott's Spidey and the Human Torch... touching ones like Jenkin's story about the kid with CP... the Valentine story...

Spidey's quips/humor should be juxtaposed to his amazing powers. Otherwise he comes off looking like a whiney, lame, goofball, a la New Avengers.

I'm sure there are more... but this is making my brain hurt...

Brain and heart Cap, when you realize how many of Pete's defining elements are M.I.A.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritayo
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"