What's The Last Movie You Watched? VIII - Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
n2jy8k.jpg

:awesome::hrt:

The Nutty Proffessor (Eddie Murphy)

8/10

What the hell happened :huh:

A deep and thought provoking character study, enriched by subtle nuances and......yeah ok, I watched it for the hot chicks. :oldrazz:

In fairness Leighton Meester is fun as the crazy stalker chick and Minka Kelly has some charisma to go with her looks. The film is well shot, but as a whole is poorly paced and devoid of any genuine tension, usually with these type of films they build to the snap, here they show from practically the second scene that Meester is bat**** crazy. 6/10

The Illusionist (2009)
A terrific piece of animation. :up:

osundance2011reviewisaw.jpg

I Saw The Devil

Jee-woon Kim continues to amaze me with his films. His last film The Good, The Bad, The Weird was an excellent take on the legacy of western films. Now he has done it again with the revenge genre. To me I think it's THE revenge film for years to come. It may start out as good guy vs bad guy but it slowly turns into grey. I highly recommend this to anyone who loves a great ass kicking movie with an amazing script.

9.5/10

Last edited:
BRIDESMAIDS

In my opinion there's not enough ladies behaving badly comedies for the big screen.
2002's The Sweetest Thing comes to mind but the ladies in that film are downright tame when it comes the women of Bridesmaids.
Annie (Kristen Wiig) is down on her luck she lost her business,works at a lame Jewelry store,and her sex buddy Ted (Jon Hamm) is cold and crass.
The bright spot in her life is her best friend Lillian(Maya Rudolph) who suddenly announces she's engaged and asks Annie to be her maid of honor.Of course with any wedding party personalities and ideas will clash,and Annie's nemesis comes in the form of
Helen Harris(Rose Byrne) the wife of Lillian's fiancé's boss she's uptight,super rich,
and wants to control everything so of course the real fun begins.
Produced by Judd Apatow Bridesmaids has his fingerprints all over it.
Kristen Wiig who has mainly had co starring roles before this really shines also proving she also great at physical comedy.
All of the ladies in the cast are given time to shine including :Ellie Kemper,Wendi McLendon-Covey,Melissa McCarthy.McCarthy is the scene stealer bold,brash and commanding and extremely funny.
What adds to the film are all of the side characters like Annies kooky Brit roommates
and the late great Jill Clayburgh as Annies mother.
Sure there is some toilet humor here and there which was extremely funny.
Maya Rudolph plays it straight for the most part in the film.Her bridegroom is not really heard from. The only other male stand out character is Officer Nathan Rhodes (Chris O'Dowd) who's sweet,witty and caring the exact opposite of Ted.
There are the little touches that add to the laughs the over the top bridal shower and
Annie's and Helen face off at the gown fitting.
The film does start to strain under the two hour plus running time ,but Bridesmaids is one of the funniest films of 2011 so far.
Scale of 1-10 an 8½

EVERYTHING MUST GO

There are only a handful of comedic actors that have truely crossed over and conquered in dramatic films.Is Will Ferrell ready to join that list?
In Everything Must Go, Ferrell portrays Nick Halsey a salesman who has returned to his alchoholic addiction.This causes him to lose his job,his wife leaves him,locks him out of the home and leaves all of his possesions on the front lawn.
Will Ferrell does a great job here playing it straight and sure there are funny moments but nothing like i have seen in his comedies,in which his characters are clueless,loud and overbearing.
As Halsey notices his neighbors for the first time,he likely didnt know them because he was on the road often or maybe in a drunken stupor ,they start to notice him mainly because all of his belongings are on his lawn.
Christopher Jordan Wallace son of the late great Notorious BIG does a terrific job as a curious kid named Kenny,who becomes Halsey's yard sales manager.Their developing relationship is one of the best parts of the film.
A friendship also develops with his pregnant neighbor Samantha (Rebecca Hall ) through that relationship he discovers painful truths about himself and her.
This is one of those quiet films about dealing with life and all of the things that come with it.The yard sale equals letting go of the past and reflecting on it which leads to a great scene with Laura Dern.
So to answer my foreamentioned question,it was a pleasure to watch Will Ferrell
cross over into the realm of drama.
Scale of 1-10 an an 8½

Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl

A quirky and melancholy indie flick that takes one or two unexpected turns. Rachel Bilson is perfectly cast and delivers a sad but hopeful girl next door, while Sturridge does a good job making oddball Will eccentrically charming and damaged, when the role could have came off as creepy. 7/10

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"