Which Green Lantern should be used? - Part 2

Since Rock is playing Black Adam, his name can now be removed from the list of candidates for John Stewart. Who else ?

I always thought that LeVar Burton (from ST: TNG) could be a good choice for John Stewart but now he is too old for that part.

My preference has always been Chad Coleman (who even has some military service in his background), but I'm not sure if he's interested.

Since Rock is playing Black Adam, his name can now be removed from the list of candidates for John Stewart. Who else ?

I always thought that LeVar Burton (from ST: TNG) could be a good choice for John Stewart but now he is too old for that part.

Chiwetel Ejiofor gets fancast for any and everything, and for good reason.

green_lanter_john_stewart_by_glsolo-d38gyn2_zpsf5d7100c.jpg

I think an old fancasting, Common could actually do an awesome job, his acting has really deepened over the years. A really out of the box casting that I think would work is Chris 'Ludacris' Bridges. Something more solid would be someone like Nate Parker (Great Debaters). He's really good and heroic-like.

It's "Common" an esoteric nickname for him, out just an amusing trick of predictive text?

I really dont feel like ludacris would work as john Stewart lol. Common while not one of my favorite choices would be acceptable, at least more so than Luda.

I hope they get rid of the tights for this 'space cop' named green lantern in the film..
And go more to the star wars route and have the ring be like the light sabers, so technically a weapon. I know it's not true to the comics but still, it would be nice if he only has jacket with green lantern corps symbol on it or something.. I really hope they turn him into a legit space cop rather than a superhero, because that would be a good element to distinguish him from the other superheroes in the justice league.

I also believe they are most probably introducing John Stewart. Which could be a good sign as they could set up a cameo and make hal jordan a prominent character that doesn't appear a lot maybe like a han solo figure. They should make it a lot like star wars and star trek and not a typical superhero movie. If they use John Stewart it will be the first black hero in a space oriented franchise, which would be amazing

greenlantern_tl_by_tloessy-d64lomg.gif

wouldn't mind something like this either as a costume.. but still prefer not giving him tights

Chiwetel Ejiofor gets fancast for any and everything, and for good reason.

green_lanter_john_stewart_by_glsolo-d38gyn2_zpsf5d7100c.jpg

I think an old fancasting, Common could actually do an awesome job, his acting has really deepened over the years. A really out of the box casting that I think would work is Chris 'Ludacris' Bridges. Something more solid would be someone like Nate Parker (Great Debaters). He's really good and heroic-like.

To be honest, Chiwetel Ejiofor is a fantastic actor but he doesn't fit John Stewart at all. Chiwetel excels at extremely refined characters, and John is a little rougher around the edges than what I think Ejiofor can pull off.

He's much more of a Martian Manhunter. He would also fit Black Panther far more than John Stewart. So yeah a big hell no from me regarding Ejiofor as Green Lantern, that just doesn't even make sense.

No thanks to Ludacris as John Stewart too, not seeing that at all.

I watched more Elba movies/tv to get a better feel for his American accent.

It sucks in a lot of Prometheus and sucks in The Office, but he sounds perfectly fine in everything else.

Elba is probably the best choice for the role, despite being suggested far too often.

Elba is an actor that would get me excited about John Stewart. Chadwick Boseman is a fine actor, but he's not an actor that will draw me into seeing a movie. Idris Elba on the other hand, is that type of an actor. Perhaps Chadwick will become a draw to me at some point, but that's important to me when fancasting John Stewart. Since I'm not the biggest fan of the character (at least compared to the clearly superior Hal and Kyle :oldrazz:), the actor really has to draw me in, since the character really doesn't interest me all that much.

Elba is the clear choice for John Stewart. If the intent is to make John Stewart the lead Green Lantern, Idris Elba is the best choice by a mile. Sorry but I don't care about Chadwick Boseman enough to get excited about a movie series with him as the star. John Stewart is the third most interesting Green Lantern, so if they give him his own movie series, the actor playing him better be ****ing breathtaking, to make up for the lack of quality character development compared to Hal and Kyle. Idris Elba is that type of quality actor and so is Chiwetel Ejiofor, but Ejiofor is pretty miscast as John Stewart, so Elba is the clear choice.

I hope they get rid of the tights for this 'space cop' named green lantern in the film..
And go more to the star wars route and have the ring be like the light sabers, so technically a weapon. I know it's not true to the comics but still, it would be nice if he only has jacket with green lantern corps symbol on it or something.. I really hope they turn him into a legit space cop rather than a superhero, because that would be a good element to distinguish him from the other superheroes in the justice league.
Agreed.I also really like the idea of him having a Jacket

I also believe they are most probably introducing John Stewart. Which could be a good sign as they could set up a cameo and make hal jordan a prominent character that doesn't appear a lot maybe like a han solo figure. They should make it a lot like star wars and star trek and not a typical superhero movie. If they use John Stewart it will be the first black hero in a space oriented franchise, which would be amazing

Well Cyborg is going to be on the JL so I supect hes going to be the Black hero of JL.

Usually you only find one black character in these ensembles, so that's what we're expecting. But who knows.

Yeah Id be shocked if they had 2 black heros.That would be revolutionary quite frankly And i say this as a Black guy.

To be honest, Chiwetel Ejiofor is a fantastic actor but he doesn't fit John Stewart at all. Chiwetel excels at extremely refined characters, and John is a little rougher around the edges than what I think Ejiofor can pull off.

He's much more of a Martian Manhunter. He would also fit Black Panther far more than John Stewart. So yeah a big hell no from me regarding Ejiofor as Green Lantern, that just doesn't even make sense.

No thanks to Ludacris as John Stewart too, not seeing that at all.

My favorite John Stewart take is the one from Green Lantern: Mosaic, where he is, among other things, exceptionally intellectual. It is by all accounts, the most interesting version of the character. Also... he whoops Hal Jordan in it( :p ). For JLU John Stewart, I'd agree, but that's just one facet of Stewart's pwnage.

I watched more Elba movies/tv to get a better feel for his American accent.

It sucks in a lot of Prometheus and sucks in The Office, but he sounds perfectly fine in everything else.

Elba is probably the best choice for the role, despite being suggested far too often.

Elba is an actor that would get me excited about John Stewart. Chadwick Boseman is a fine actor, but he's not an actor that will draw me into seeing a movie. Idris Elba on the other hand, is that type of an actor. Perhaps Chadwick will become a draw to me at some point, but that's important to me when fancasting John Stewart. Since I'm not the biggest fan of the character (at least compared to the clearly superior Hal and Kyle :oldrazz:), the actor really has to draw me in, since the character really doesn't interest me all that much.

Elba is the clear choice for John Stewart. If the intent is to make John Stewart the lead Green Lantern, Idris Elba is the best choice by a mile. Sorry but I don't care about Chadwick Boseman enough to get excited about a movie series with him as the star. John Stewart is the third most interesting Green Lantern, so if they give him his own movie series, the actor playing him better be ****ing breathtaking, to make up for the lack of quality character development compared to Hal and Kyle. Idris Elba is that type of quality actor and so is Chiwetel Ejiofor, but Ejiofor is pretty miscast as John Stewart, so Elba is the clear choice.

I 100% agree. I usually skip over Elba because he's with Marvel, and, rumor has it, that prevents him from being with DC, some kind of conflict of interest or marketing malarkey. But it's very clearly two different camps, and no one seems to be allowed to cross between them.

I really dont feel like ludacris would work as john Stewart lol. Common while not one of my favorite choices would be acceptable, at least more so than Luda.

It's a stretch, I know, it works in my head though.

2008_max_payne_010-530x347.jpg

greenlantern_tl_by_tloessy-d64lomg.gif

wouldn't mind something like this either as a costume.. but still prefer not giving him tights

That's extremely cool. If they had done that, I could see why they'd want to do the costumes CGI.

Last edited:
Thats really cool

Indeed it is.

Yeah Id be shocked if they had 2 black heros.That would be revolutionary quite frankly And i say this as a Black guy.

It worked for Falcon and Nick Fury in TWS. Granted, that's not an ensemble movie per say, but I certainly hope WB isn't thinking that they can't use 2 or more minority heroes in JL.

Like this design for john stewart
green_lantern_redesign_by_mase0ne-d486dxy.png

Last edited:
the above 2 designs would be awful for a movie, I prefer the design from the last movie. The artwork on those designs is nicely done though.

no need to stray far from the designs in the comics, GL doesn't need an extensive redesign at all

Last edited:
Hal's white gloves are an eyesore. I hope never to see them on screen.

Yeah I've never been a fan of the white yellow gloves.

The first flight suit is pretty much perfect

OMG it would!

It would be unbelievable if it came to pass. GL stories, especially over the last 10 years, have always been vast ones with a huge cast of characters. TV would actually be a better medium to get into the background of the GLs, the various other light corps, the GOTU, the manhunters, etc.. I'm with you and 'Shach--I'd pass out from happiness if a GL series was announced.

I feel Hal Jordans Costume should be more distinct from the other GLs to emphasize him being the "Main Lantern".The Hero of the story.Especially in stories where the GL corps are heavily present

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"