Days of Future Past Which is better: X2 or First Class?

X-Men: First Class is totally better the Avengers.

Sometimes, I felt like the moments between the main characters of the Avengers felt forced and I never felt that with X-Men: First Class. First Class had more of those raw and moving emotions and yes First Class had a better story.

Naaaaah, I don't agree.

Can't think of anything more forced than Mystique's role in First Class. She flittered around with every guy and come the final battle, switched sides in a milisecond. First Class came off as incredibly rushed to me (for obvious reasons) and for every exchange that worked, there was another that felt hollow.

Avengers kept things light, but everything felt earned within the timeframe. There's a natural comaraderie between the characters by the end that is totally understandable.

I think the Charles/Erik relationship is the more interesting dynamic, and definitely the key strength of First Class, but Avengers is just a better film overall.

Last edited:
Avengers doesn't open in the US for a few more days, folks. Let's be careful about posting potential spoilers at least until the weekend.

Avengers doesn't open in the US for a few more days, folks. Let's be careful about posting potential spoilers at least until the weekend.

Oops. Very sorry. Triimed the slightly spoilery stuff from my last post.

Last edited:
Yeah can we pleeeeease keep Avengers and XMFC seperate on here? Some of us will not be able to make it to opening weekend and are meticulously trying to avoid spoilers... >_>

I like the way X2 handled the student aspects better. It felt more in line with the tone of the rest of the film.

FC felt a bit too campy for me at times. Sometimes I felt like I was watching high school musical: mutant edition.

First class was really good, but I tend to enjoy X2 more. Point of personal preference I suppose.

I find X2 far too long I start getting bored everytime I watch it, think FC is miles better.

^Seriously, I can't believe this is a question.. and that I'm in the minority!
Most people really prefer First Class?
I think everything outside of McAvoy and Fassbender sucked almighty a**.
...And it gets worse everytime I watch it. Terrible dialog, a lot of poor SFX, unlikeable heroes, shallow villains, and no respect whatsoever for the source material.

X2 on the other hand, still resides in my top 3 with TDK and now Avengers.
Sorry, don't mean to be testy, but I just don't get it...

I think First Class is the best out of the whole franchise. However, if the sequels don't go anywhere, then First Class was kind of a waste. X2 will always be a "solid" film on its own.

However, I think FC had a better balance of character development, and it felt like more characters got a chance to shine (well not all of them, but still). I hate how in X2, cyclops gets knocked out for most of the movie.

I think comparing either one is kinda like apples to oranges... I think FC would be the best X-men film period if it didn't have the restriction brought on by the rest of the series.

I think the tones in X2 and FC are nearly polar opposites.. FC is far more "comic booky" but in a really good way, and X2 is more pseudo serious/realism which..... while is really great it's not exactly what you want for X-men. The perfect batch would be a mix of both imo

This is kind of unfair to X2, but when I watched it I was really tired and it felt so boring and just dragged on and on. I absolutely loathe that movie. Maybe if I saw it a second time I'd feel differently about it, but as it is I can't understand why anyone would prefer it to First Class.

X2 has turned into a fast forward flick with me.The stuff I prefer in X2 over First class are mostly action scenes. Nightcrawlers intro, Magnetos escape and DeathStrike Vs Wolverine still remain my favorite action pieces in the X franchise. Aside from a few, the characters felt more alive in FC to me, everyone in X2 seems like they have mono through the flick.

Overall I enjoyed FC more. They both have problems and both remain the best of the series.

Here is how I rank the X-Men franchise:

1. X-Men: First Class
2. X2: X-Men United
3. X-Men
4. X-Men: The Last Stand
5. X-Men Origins: Wolverine

1:X2
2:X-Men First Class
3:X-Men
4:X-Men Origins:Wolverine
5:X-Men the Last Stand

The stuff I prefer in X2 over First class are mostly action scenes. Nightcrawlers intro, Magnetos escape and DeathStrike Vs Wolverine still remain my favorite action pieces in the X franchise.

Same, plus the attack on the school. Overall I prefer First Class but X2 definitely had the most memorable action scenes of the franchise. Not that I don't enjoy action scenes in FC but I mostly appreciate them for character-related aspects as opposed to just pure action.

I really can't rank them all exactly in order. X2 only works if you have seen X1 but is a very consistent movie in every sense - acting, dialogue, action, effects, etc. The action sequences in X2 are more memorable and stand-out (though i thought Cyclops vs Jean at the dam was too short).

This is kind of unfair to X2, but when I watched it I was really tired and it felt so boring and just dragged on and on. I absolutely loathe that movie. Maybe if I saw it a second time I'd feel differently about it, but as it is I can't understand why anyone would prefer it to First Class.

That's exactly how I feel about X2 it just goes on and on. Me and the GF watched all the X films recently as she'd never seen them and she liked X2 the least, said it was far too long and boring. Only stuff I like in it is the Wolverine stuff.

I remember seeing X2, and thinking that it felt choppy and rushed in the beginning of the film. One scene was in the mansion, suddenly it cut to Jean and Storm at a church, then it brought us back to the white house, then back to the mansion, etc. Eventually the film flows better in the middle, but still. Anyone notice this?

I dunno, If I had to rate em:

1- X2
2- X-Men
tied 3- First Class
tied 3- Last Stand
way in last place- XO:W

I just thought FC was such a cheesy piece o' crap, can't fully explain it, the movie just irritates me
specifically the performances by Jones, Bacon, Till, Rose Byrne, Lawrence, and Kid Magneto were all laughably bad

Last edited:
I just thought FC was such a cheesy piece o' crap, can't fully explain it, the movie just irritates me
specifically the performances by Jones, Bacon, Till, Rose Byrne, Lawrence, and Kid Magneto were all laughably bad
Theres some cheesy **** in it for sure. I didnt think the actors mentioned above were that bad though. The scenes with the kids can annoy me at times. At the same time Im not a fan of how Rogue, Storm, Iceman and Cyclops in X1 an X2 are played. Rogue annoys me the most and Iceman is a pretty dull interpretation. I have my problems with alot of the characters in the series. Theres some horrible **** in all of them, I still dont know how Storms line in X1 when she strikes Toad got greenlit.

I think it is safe to say that without McAvoy and Fassbender, FC doesnt have much going for it. Luckily they are the focus, and they def need to explore the other characters hopefully with more interesting ideas and takes. The stuff with Mags and Prof X characters are the best in the franchise as far as performance and character development imo. Thats the main reason why I rate it above X2.

Last edited:
X2 is great, but it's been a while since I've watched it. That said, Singer brings suuuch a serious tone to the movie, to the point that there's very little life to be found in the proceedings. Singer was so intent on hammering home how serious his themes are, that he doesn't let the movie breathe enough.

X-Men: First Class isn't perfect, but it's definitely my favorite film in the franchise. It maintains the themes of racism, homophobia, and intolerance, but the characters are given more to do. It's so much more fun, plain and simple. The action is good, the acting is phenomenal (especially the two leads). The main characters feel much more developed. Sure, I think they could have saved Beast's transformation for the sequel. And, they could have used Cyclops, Jean, Storm, Iceman, etc. instead of who we got, continuity be damned. But, these are pretty minor complaints in the face of a very solid movie.

X2 is still from beginning to end stellar.

I second psylockolussus' list:

1. X2
2. First Class
3. X-Men
4. X3
5. Origins: Wolverine

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members