Homecoming Which MCU characters should appear in Spider-Man (2017)?

True, but we don't even know for sure if Civil War is the Marvel Studios movie in which Spider-Man will appear.

Even if Civil War IS the Marvel Studios movie in which Spider-Man appears, Sony still ends up getting more out of this deal because they will end up reaping the benefits of having their new Spider-Man film explicitly connected to the MCU without having to have paid a single penny to make that happen and without having to share any of the profits generated by the establishment of said connection.

Yeah maybe I mean marvel has the rights to the merchandise so the better more successful the movie the better the merchandise will sale right? I mean like how much dose merchandise make compared to box office? I mean not all the box office goes back to them some of that stays with the theaters so how dose that compare to the price to make merchandise and then the profits form the merchandise. If sm is in cap 3 its going to be big. I mean cap 3 was already going to do great because of cap 2 and now you have sm and iron man in it man!

Sony control Spidey. But if they want him to be part of MCU then they will have to ok their ideas with Feige. Just as any of the directors/writers of any of the films and tv series do now.
If Sony want to use DD and Fisk in one of their films they will have to have meetings with both Marvel and Netflix to ensure that the storylines fit. Shouldn't be too difficult.

Yeah, like I said in another thread, Sony may have final say, but if they ignore the creative input from Marvel and the franchise goes sideways (again), then they run the risk of being cut off from the gigantic MCU and being left on an island (AGAIN). In fact they likely WOULD. With no merchandising $$ coming from the character that's a scary place to be for a fledgling studio. That Marvel's leverage in this. They don't need Spider-Man, they just want him. It's in Sony's best interest to seek a collaborative relationship.

Yeah, like I said in another thread, Sony may have final say, but if they ignore the creative input from Marvel and the franchise goes sideways (again), then they run the risk of being cut off from the gigantic MCU and being left on an island (AGAIN). In fact they likely WOULD. With no merchandising $$ coming from the character that's a scary place to be for a fledgling studio. That Marvel's leverage in this. They don't need Spider-Man, they just want him. It's in Sony's best interest to seek a collaborative relationship.

Marvel wouldn't allow them to just back out.

^ I don't think Marvel would really be able to legally stop Sony from not renewing the deal, especially since it didn't cost either company a single penny to strike it in the first place.

^ I don't think Marvel would really be able to legally stop Sony from not renewing the deal, especially since it didn't cost either company a single penny to strike it in the first place.

They could always buy Spider-Man from Sony. The deal is reportedly the first step in this process.

Marvel wouldn't allow them to just back out.

I think there are probably details yet to be made public, or that will be concretely worked out further down the line which will cement the relationship beyond the short term. But if Sony were foolish enough to turn away from the vast MCU canvas and go at it alone, it wouldn't surprise me if that short-sightedness puts the franchise back in the soup line, at which point the public would scream in harmony, "NO SOUP FOR YOU!!"

Last edited:
They could always buy Spider-Man from Sony. The deal is reportedly the first step in this process.

If Sony wanted to sell the character rights, they could've done so. Marvel reportedly offered them billions of dollars, but instead of taking that offer, we got the deal as it currently stands.

Because of the parameters of the deal as it currently stands, Sony gets to have their new Spider-Man franchise connected to the MCU even if the character never appears in more than one film produced and released by Marvel Studios and Disney and even if no MCU characters ever appear in any of Sony's new Spider-Man films (although I strongly suspect that we'll see some sustained cross-pollination) and without having had to spend any money whatsoever to make it happen.

I know what the deal is, I'm not sure what point you're trying to make. Both studios will have to agree with the storylines of each film to ensure it doesn't harm their brand.

Spidey will be in Infinity War. Sony will beg Marvel to give him a meaty role. This deal is advantageous to both sides. There will be meetings and discussions but Sony coming to the table shows that they know Marvels ideas are good and want to be a part of that.

Both studios will have to agree with the storylines of each film to ensure it doesn't harm their brand.

Spidey will be in Infinity War. Sony will beg Marvel to give him a meaty role. This deal is advantageous to both sides. There will be meetings and discussions but Sony coming to the table shows that they know Marvels ideas are good and want to be a part of that.

Neither of these things are stated anywhere within the current parameters of the deal.

I'd also expect a Spidey/DD team-up. You can be sure that these discussions were heard bouncing off the walls of Marvel Studios.

Neither of these things are stated anywhere within the current parameters of the deal.

Okay but Marvel will want Spider-Man in Defenders and both parts of Infinity War. Sony will want to try to retool Sinister Six into Thunderbolts.

Marvel will want the Daily Bugle in Daredevil and Jessica Jones and Spider-Man to make an appearance in Iron Fist as well as having Daredevil fight Electro and Iron Man fight Doc Ock and Jessica Drew on Agents of Shield.

Sony is going to want Daredevil, Captain America, Luke Cage and Iron Man to show up in Spider-Man films and they'll also want to borrow Kingpin. Not to mention when they get around to doing a Venom spin-off they'll want to have Blade or Ghost Rider show up.

^ All of those things could potentially happen at some point, but they're not expressly/explicitly part of the deal as it's currently outlined, and Feige only has creative control (which will probably only extend so far) for the 2017 Spidey film that he's co-producing as a volunteer freelancer.

It's common sense. MCU will not allow Sony to harm their brand and neither will Sony allow Marvel to. Otherwise the deal will be off. They will have to talk about scripts for each others films. Otherwise Marvel could kill off Spidey in Civil War if they wanted. Or Sony could nuke New York. Netflix and ABC already share their ideas with Marvel before going ahead, why wouldn't Sony?

Spidey is Marvels number 1 character, they will want him in Infinity. Infinity War will be 2 of the biggest films ever made. If Sony wants to get their brand back on it's feet they will want him in there with a big role. Otherwise what is the point of this deal in the first place?

^ The point of this deal is that Marvel Studios gets to 'lease' Spidey for what is currently one film (possibly Civil War) and Sony in turn gets Marvel Studios and Kevin Feige's help in again attempting to relaunch their Spidey franchise, this time with said franchise having an explicit connection to the universe that Marvel Studios has already developed (help, I might add, that comes completely free-of-charge, since Feige won't be monetarily compensated by Sony for his involvement in relaunching their franchise).

^ The point of this deal is that Marvel Studios gets to 'lease' Spidey for what is currently one film (possibly Civil War) and Sony in turn gets Marvel Studios and Kevin Feige's help in again attempting to relaunch their Spidey franchise, this time with said franchise having an explicit connection to the universe that Marvel Studios has already developed (help, I might add, that comes completely free-of-charge, since Feige won't be monetarily compensated by Sony for his involvement in relaunching their franchise).

You think this is just going to be Spidey showing up in Civil War and then Feige helping them make the new Spiderman film and that's it?

Bob Iger, Chairman and CEO, The Walt Disney Company said: "Spider-Man is one of Marvel's great characters, beloved around the world. We're thrilled to work with Sony Pictures to bring the iconic web-slinger into the Marvel Cinematic Universe, which opens up fantastic new opportunities for storytelling and franchise building."

That doesn't sound as a one off to me.

Also who said Feige isn't going to get paid? Marvel might not get any money from a Spidey film but Feige is the Producer. Sony should pay him.

It's common sense. MCU will not allow Sony to harm their brand and neither will Sony allow Marvel to. Otherwise the deal will be off. They will have to talk about scripts for each others films. Otherwise Marvel could kill off Spidey in Civil War if they wanted. Or Sony could nuke New York. Netflix and ABC already share their ideas with Marvel before going ahead, why wouldn't Sony?

Spidey is Marvels number 1 character, they will want him in Infinity. Infinity War will be 2 of the biggest films ever made. If Sony wants to get their brand back on it's feet they will want him in there with a big role. Otherwise what is the point of this deal in the first place?

This. Marvel is already good at coordination between film and TV properties.

My biggest concern happens to be the female team-up film. Black Cat should be a gangster heist movie, Spider-Woman should be a spy thriller and Silver Sable should be a straight up action film.

Sony just struck a character sharing deal. They should keep things going and coordinate with Marvel. The female team-up doesn't need to happen and all three of these characters can now have separate adventures, provided they're in the MCU. Black Cat can fight Kingpin. Jessica Drew can serve Viper and then betray her and HYDRA to join SHIELD. Silver Sable can blow up a whole ton of random Hand ninjas and AIM goons, then collect the bounty on their heads from Nick Fury. They now have a large enough universe to go on their own adventures. Keep in mind that if Marvel got the rights back in full, we'd never get a Silver Sable film.

The only catch is no killing characters from the other studio. That means that Silver Sable can't randomly kill Norman Osborn because somebody put a price on his head and Sentry can't throw Carnage into the sun.

What this means is that Kingpin can now join the Maggia. Doc Ock can join AIM. Expanding the universe in both directions benefits both studios.

But mostly I just want to see Dock Ock and MODOK together in AIM fighting Spider-Man, Daredevil vs Electro, a Silver Sable film and Spider-Man in Avengers and Defenders.

Ehh, I don't see a Silver Sable film happening any time soon.

Last edited:
Spider-Man, Daredevil and Punisher would be AWESOME.

I remember I had a Spider-Man Christmas annual as a kid. Hardback thing. It had this short story where Hulk lost his sh** in New York and Spidey shows up, bouncing around, damage control with his webs.

I've always wanted to see something like that. I'd love it.

Ehh, I don't see a Silver Sable film happening any time soon.

That's sadly true. They're putting her on a team with Spider-Woman and Black Cat because Sony's spin-offs are poorly thought out.

Anyone have any ideas of what the 2017 film will be about? Who do you anticipate being the villains and the sidekicks? I'd like to see a CW follow up, with HYDRA and AIM making an appearance, along with Norman and Octopus. I think you bring in some SHIELD characters like Spider Woman to help out.

Last edited:
I want to eventually see a Spidey Daredevil team up

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"