Guardians of the Galaxy Which was your favorite: GOTG1 vs GOTG2

I didn't vote straight away because I wanted time for Vol 2 to sink in, I have a tendency to get ahead of myself and vote for the new thing purely because it's new and shiny and exciting. :cwink: But thinking about it, I really do think I prefer Vol 2 overall. Ego was just a vastly more interesting villain than Ronan and there are so many moments in Vol 2 that make me grin like an idiot and get a warm, fuzzy feeling just thinking about them. :woot:

I didn't vote straight away because I wanted time for Vol 2 to sink in, I have a tendency to get ahead of myself and vote for the new thing purely because it's new and shiny and exciting. :cwink: But thinking about it, I really do think I prefer Vol 2 overall. Ego was just a vastly more interesting villain than Ronan and there are so many moments in Vol 2 that make me grin like an idiot and get a warm, fuzzy feeling just thinking about them. :woot:

Agreed.

I know the knee jerk reaction is to agree with the critics but which one did you enjoy more?

What? Who does that?

People are swayed once a popular opinion has been established.

Group think is a real thing.

This was an easy vote for me.

GotG got a big fat meh from me. Didn't see what the big fuss was about.

GotG2 made my top 3.

The moral of the story: disagreeing with MessiahDecoy's opinion = Group think. :o

Anyway, I like the first one more.

Overall, I prefer Vol. 1, but there were specific elements in Vol. 2 that I thought were better than its predecessor.

Fifth viewing and Vol. 2 takes it still. Gunn is a master and this film will definitely be recognized as a classic like the first one. Even more so. Film theorists will have a field day with this gem. Time is definitely on it's side. My gut and tear ducts receive a great work-out with each viewing.

I just rewatched Vol. 2 today. It rose a bit, but I'm still giving the first film the edge.

Fifth viewing and Vol. 2 takes it still. Gunn is a master and this film will definitely be recognized as a classic like the first one. Even more so. Film theorists will have a field day with this gem. Time is definitely on it's side. My gut and tear ducts receive a great work-out with each viewing.

I've seen it twice, unlike Vol 1, which I saw 5x in the cinema. With Vol 2, I find it quite an emotional experience. As such, I have to be in the right frame of mind to see it......but in some ways I think that makes it the stronger film.

Vol 2 certainly has a much stronger ending - and that final shot of Rocket.....heavy stuff (for a CGI raccoon).

Not sure how history will treat GOTG 2, but I don't care. It will be interesting though to see how it does on the home market.

It will certainly be a classic in my house !

I think that I like the first movie just a little bit more. This is still really good though and there are some things that it does better than in the first film. The villain is better, the effects/visuals/action/etc are better, Gamora is used better, Nebula and especially Yondu are given more development as characters, etc.

But I feel like the jokes didn't land as consistently for me as they did in the first one, and there were too many of them at times. The pacing wasn't as good this time around and I was less forgiving of it's lack of a plot. I wasn't fond of what they did to Drax's character this time around (although Dave Bautista still gives a good performance), Mantis is underused, etc.

Basically if the first movie was an A, then this is a solid B/B+

GOTG1 is a far better movie to me. Everyone raves about the emotional beats of Vol. 2 but I found the characters backstories in Vol. 1 did that better because they didn't feel as forced, telegraphed or cliche as the ones in Vol. 2. They felt more natural, in a conversational/dialogue context especially. Rocket's creation, Peter's Mom and Drax's family were all much better, felt more naturally acted and hit harder than anything in Vol. 2.

The Father/Son thing felt ridiculously forced to me, partially because I thought Kurt Russell gave a pretty hammy/campy performance. The only part of the Father/Son trope that worked for me was when Star-Lord and Gamora were talking about it and she gave the response about Peter "finally finding his family" - "I thought you already did". Because it felt far more natural than anything said between Peter and Ego. The Yondu "Daddy" moment was played much better as well.

The jokes in Vol. 2 also didn't land for me nearly as often. Drax was the only consistently funny character, Rocket had a few moments, Yondu had a line or two that was good but rest of the jokes fell flat for me. Mantis was a completely useless character other than being the brunt of some of Drax's jokes. Vol. 1 was vastly superior comedy wise to me.

One of the things I was hoping for in Vol. 2 was seeing more action/fighting scenes for Gamora and Drax that would make them live up to their nicknames (Deadliest Woman/Destroyer), they failed at that again and I actually think they both had less scenes in this that showed that off.

Finally, I think Ronan was the way better villain of the two movies, it's not even remotely close for me at all. Ego was cheesy and preachy, never felt like a threat despite his great power, yet also never felt believable at just wanting to be a good Father before the "twist" that you could see coming a Galaxy away (pun intended). Ego's "scheme" wasn't any deeper than Ronan's IMO, actually I think Ronan's revenge plot was better to be honest, it made more sense than Ego's take over the Universe cuz... reasons... "plot", it was super flimsy to me. Ronan felt like a threat, was mean, nasty, mopped the floor with Drax, took a hit from Rocket's canon and still kept coming. Ego was just kind of there, or not there since half the time he wasn't in a solid form and his speechifying was terrible during the climax. Plus they had the orb, Thanos and Nebula mixed in which was more interesting than just Ego and his maid slave that joined the Guardians almost immediately and The Sovereign who were just terrible period.

Vol. 2 is the better looking film cinematography wise though, I will give it that for sure. It was still a decent movie but nothing about it felt as natural as Vol. 1, most of the movie was easy to telegraph. Vol. 1 was funnier, had more memorable scenes (the jailbreak scene in Vol. 1 is better than anything in Vol. 2), better supporting characters (Nova Corps > Sovereign by a MILE), Star-Lord, Rocket and Groot were all much better in Vol. 1, better villain by far, better action sequences, more interesting story. Just everything about Vol. 1 was better for me except some visual stuff.

Last edited:
Getting to watch them both again and yeah....I think Guardians 2 is the overall better movie. Both are really enjoyable and have different pros and cons to them. But I think the viewing experience is just better with Vol 2.

I'd say the jokes as a whole hit better with the first movie. That is one thing it really has going for it. And there were some really strong scenes throughout the film. Seeing the group come together was enjoyable.

But I do like a lot of what makes Vol 2 work. It feels much more self-contained. We don't have to force Thanos into it outside of him being a figure behind Gamora and Nebula's backgrounds. We don't need an Infinity Stone or set anything up for Infinity War. I don't think tying into other films are inherently negative, but just in this case it was nice to just have this story be about these characters.

The villain was just way better. I liked Ego's character. He did fall in love with Peter's mother and he did feel a pull to stay with her. But he also felt the pull to this larger purpose. He's a being that started out as this god-like existence and came down in a sense to spend time with mortals. When it came down to it he could see things in a larger context and that won out. A few decades or even a century with Peter's mother would be transient. It wouldn't truly satisfy his loneliness. His morals as this celestial being was different than someone like Peter. He thought Peter being similar to him would be able to move beyond his mortal viewpoint once he saw the bigger picture. He was utterly wrong, but just reflected that at his core....Ego wasn't like Peter or other mortals. He couldn't truly understand them any better than Peter's mother could really understand him in those first scenes of the movie.

In some ways I like seeing how characters adapt to being around people than seeing how they end up together in the first place. The Guardians was a good origin for the team, but I liked how Vol 2 could start further developing those relationships. How they pull, push and adapt to this new family of theirs.

And yeah the death of Yondu really gives Vol 2 a huge push. Vol 1 had the death of Groot, but it was only kind of the death of Groot. This new Groot isn't the exact same in mentality, but it helps push away the feeling of loss. Yondu is just plain gone. He died well for someone he wanted to protect and got the grand funeral he must have thought he'd never be able to get. Redeeming himself and earning the showing of respect from his comrades. It still made me tear up a bit at the end of Vol 2. It was a death, but one that still felt right.

I can understand people liking Vol 1 more. It's really good. I saw that movie in theaters multiple times, got the steelbook, and have watched it at least once a year. I just like this one a little bit more.

It's such a tough choice as the sequel is so damn good, but I still give the slight edge to the first movie.

I really enjoyed Vol. 2. The first one was a exploration of that chemistry to see if Marvel could put something together that worked (and it did). This movie felt more focused and character driven. The chemistry is in place and the story completely farmed out. I really liked it and thought the digital de-aging on Kurt Russell was just insanely good. I had to keep rewinding the film to look at his face. That has to be one of the best jobs I have seen to date. Incredible.

I like the first one better. I feel like it's a better paced movie and it never feels too overdone. The second one is great, but the ending kind of drags, and it feels a bit excessive in places.

I liked Volume 2 better because 1. It had a vastly superior villian in Ego compared to Ronan, and 2. It had far more emotional impact.

"He may have been your father, but he was never your daddy" = Gah!.

There are many other examples of things that got to me emotionally that Volume 1 really never had.

I far prefer GOTG1. I find GOTG2 to be one of the weakest MCU films... just ahead of Iron Man 2.

I really disliked GOTG2. The villainous father who abandoned the hero but is now back with ulterior motives is so cliche and predictable. I knew how it was going to go down from the first 20 minutes. And I just had to watch as Quill acts like the dumbest man in the universe.

And then the villain was defeated incredibly easily. No planning or anything, just.. "oh hey, let's take this space ship through the center of this exploding planet to laser the center a little bit. No problem, right?" and it's done.

Not to mention, Volume 2 basically took away all the progress made in Volume 1. V1 ends with Quill learning that his father wasn't human and that he is different. V2 ends with Quill learning that his dad was never really his dad, and now he's normal... just like he always thought he was. We essentially just erased the ending of Volume 1.

I thought the jokes were heavy handed and absolutely unnecessary. Drax's character becomes more and more dumb and more difficult to take seriously. He doesn't really do anything except make bad jokes. The first 90 minutes don't go anywhere... we just wait for Ego to reveal how bad he is... cause we all know that's going to happen, and then watch the Guardians squabble over each other. It's got this meandering pace to it; all the while, we know that the Guardians are going to be fine; this doesn't feel like a genuine threat. They didn't use the soundtrack nearly as well as in V1 either. I just really didn't like Guardians of the Galaxy Volume 2.

First one, easily. I can say for certain that I'll never watch Volume 2 again because while it's a technically competent film, there are far too many moments for my liking where humor undercuts a scene. If Gunn was given free range to do as he pleased, fine, but I liked the more restrained feel and story of the first one. I'll rewatch the first Guardians, but I'm not in any rush to rewatch the second one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"