First Avenger Why Does Everyone Want a Body-Building Captain America?

Turtle-Man

Reaction score
I've been reading these forums for quite some time, and what bothers me is that everyone wants to cast some body builder as Captain America. You all want the guy with the square jaw, and the tough guy look. It really isn't necessary, though. We've seen Wolverine, Batman and Superman on screen. We've seen their comic book counterparts. None of the on-screen characters are anywhere near as bulky as their comic book affiliates. Why would you want Captain America to be any different?

A good Cap would be someone who can act well, give the film a serious tone, and express weakness and strength. Every human being has a flaw, and although you may state that "Captain America has no flaws", weaknesses in a person's state of mind can add so much more depth to any character. Other than this, all the actor needs is to be able to put on some muscle. We don't need Cap having an Arnold-type body.

And what's with the name "First Avenger: Captain America"? Why not just plain, old "Captain America"?

cap is the epotome of physical perfection. To be fair, they'll just take someone in a decent form and cgi them up to speed, kinda like blonsky.

Cause Captain America is built like a bodybuilder. He's perfect. He was written and drawn to be the most muscular and best built man ever to be in a comic book. You must be new to Captain America. Just check out his comics and you'll see how incredible he is built.This is the one role of all superhero movies where looks are equally as important as the acting talent. Captain America is basically a soldier on roids. So he is huge and could rip a mans head off with ease. It would be like if they were going to make a movie about Arnold. The man would obviously have to be freakin' huge like big Arnie to be able to play the part. Like I said in another post - casting this role is basically impossible. Cena can't act and neither can OHearn. And Arnold is not American and too old. So most likely this movie won't be believable in any possible way unless Arnold and Lynda Carter have a son we don't know about....

Cause people are looking at Cap's physique as his most prominent feature, and thus look long and hard to get it right, while ignoring the feature that you need most in making a character believable in a movie: acting.

Like I have always said, you can make someone look bigger than they are, but if they have no talent, they won't suddenly have it playing Cap. Acting to me is way more important, and I falt out don't care if someone like DiCaprio is cast as Cap (I in fact support him or Damon for the role...though neither will probably do it). They can act and realize the character on screen better than some lame muscle -bound, no talent, dufus.

Cause Captain America is built like a bodybuilder. He's perfect. He was written and drawn to be the most muscular and best built man ever to be in a comic book. You must be new to Captain America.

Yeah, I admit I am new. I'm not unfamiliar with the Captain America character, though. It's just that trying to choose the most 'ripped' human out there severely compromises the number of casting choices available. It only makes sense to bring in the best actor, and not the biggest. The majority of the public knows Cap as the all-American hero with the shield, and changing one aspect of the character won't hurt the film at all.

Batman is no where near this bulky in The Dark Knight.

Batmanlee.png

batman_the_dark_knight_image.jpg

Neither is Superman in any of the Superman films, and Superman is supposed to have superhuman strength.

Superman.jpg

Brandon.Routh.Superman.Retu.jpg

I'm sure we can live with Captain America being a bit leaner.

So most likely this movie won't be believable in any possible way unless Arnold and Lynda Carter have a son we don't know about....

Who says it won't be believable? Just because the character isn't Hulk-like? We've seen quality superhero films where the characters haven't quite matched their comic book counterparts. We don't need a giant Captain America to make the film 'believable'. We need a convincing actor. Acting is the most important aspect of the film.

This doesn't look too bulky to me, and it works. This Cap actually looks better than the one you posted above.

CaptainAmericaAlexRossSketch3.jpg

I've been reading these forums for quite some time, and what bothers me is that everyone wants to cast some body builder as Captain America.

You clearly haven't been reading that closely to make such a statement.

You clearly haven't been reading that closely to make such a statement.

The last few pages in the casting thread have been all right, but I still see too many people talking about casting weight lifters and referring to Cap as "Mr. Steroids". NavSealShark's post is a perfect example of this.

Not everyone draws Captain America as a bodybuilder type. I bet "linebacker" probably is a more accurate description of body type for the majority of Captain America's history.

And, really, the only real requirement is that whoever is cast be handsome, tall-ish, and athletic. If they go with an armor-type costume, as I suspect, you probably won't even see any definition through the costume. Plus you'll likely want someone who can play pre-transformation Steve Rogers believably.

There are many actors that can fit the above requirements. Why would you even need or want to look towards guys that haven't a second of serious acting experience to headline a $100+ million movie?

Thor needs to be a (semi) body builder.

Cap in comparison doesn't have to be one.

Cause Captain America is built like a bodybuilder. He's perfect. He was written and drawn to be the most muscular and best built man ever to be in a comic book. You must be new to Captain America. Just check out his comics and you'll see how incredible he is built.This is the one role of all superhero movies where looks are equally as important as the acting talent. Captain America is basically a soldier on roids. So he is huge and could rip a mans head off with ease. It would be like if they were going to make a movie about Arnold. The man would obviously have to be freakin' huge like big Arnie to be able to play the part. Like I said in another post - casting this role is basically impossible. Cena can't act and neither can OHearn. And Arnold is not American and too old. So most likely this movie won't be believable in any possible way unless Arnold and Lynda Carter have a son we don't know about....

That's why Cap is one of few superheroes that should be played by someone who can or has put on a good amount of mucsle. I know there's some actor out there that can fit the role good. Some people always act like there's never an actor that can act and fit the look of character.

That picture is not even Captain America. That's Rob Liefield's Fighting American. And as Liefield has little concept of anatomy, he's not exactly the best artist to use as reference for casting.

This doesn't look like a linebacker to me:

captainamericabk8.jpg

It looks like a gymnast.

81658675gq1.jpg

Cap is a world class gymnast, and is built like one. They need a guy with muscle, yes, but he also has to be flexible enough to do the acrobatic moves Cap is known for.

What would be the difference between a linebacker an an Olympic gymnast? Not much really. Both are in peak physical condition and are fast, strong, and yes flexible. Linebackers wouldn't last very long if they weren't flexible. The only difference is, in general size, linebackers being taller and thus weighing more.

I think the main point is that Captain isn't a musclebound oaf, but a flexible, conditioned athlete, whether it's a "soldier", "linebacker", "gymnast", or "decathlete" type. And those types describe the majority of Cap's history, including how Jack Kirby drew him, not as some bodybuilder type. How big does Cap look when he's slugging out Hitler on that famous cover? Heck, Kirby was most interested in Cap as a dynamic character, bouncing all over the page in a fight.

Mostly people on the Cap casting board have suggested different actor's for the part, rarely any bodybuilders. But Cap shouldn't be bodybuilder size in the movie, because bodybuilders aren't that flexible, they're muscles can get in the way. Like Schwarzenegger, who had to tone down for Conan The Barbarian, because his chest muscles got in the way of wielding the sword.

I hate this body builder crap about Cap. No one looks close to that big in Holywood and I would rather have the acting chops and the facial features than have the overdone physique.

This is rediculous, I have even heard people say Hugh Jackman still isn't ripped enough to be Wolverine. That's so stupid. The look will still translate on film as long as the actor is in good shape. Hell they could even do tricks with the outfit to make the actor look stronger.

I want:
1. Pitt
2. Leo
3. Eckhardt

Anybody who wants DiCaprio as Cap is stupid.

Please, you probably want some WCW or whatever wrestler to play him.

There are two reasons you are saying that (and that's me thinking you are a reasonable person):
1. He is too small and not built enough to play the character
2. He is too booked up because he is one of the top tier actors in Holywood.

Make a suggestion then...

Marvel has their eye on him for the character, and if you are making fun of the man's acting skills...well I don't even have to say it do I?

Also, learn how to jump in a thread and make a statement with a backing to it, its a little more respectful than calling someone an stupid.

Yeah, who wants a 6' 1", blonde haired, handsome, multiple Oscar nominee, box office draw for Captain America? :huh:

Yeah, who wants a 6' 1", blonde haired, handsome, multiple Oscar nominee, box office draw for Captain America? :huh:

Thanks. Some people, like Arc, have more push for look than talent. And his look isn't far off at all.

I hate this body builder crap about Cap. No one looks close to that big in Holywood and I would rather have the acting chops and the facial features than have the overdone physique.

Michael Jai White is built like Cap in the comics. He's not white, but he's an actor in Hollywood that's built like him.

20070704-michael-ja-iwhite-2.jpg

I know somebodies gonna reply to this and say he can't act.

Please, you probably want some WCW or whatever wrestler to play him.

There are two reasons you are saying that (and that's me thinking you are a reasonable person):
1. He is too small and not built enough to play the character
2. He is too booked up because he is one of the top tier actors in Holywood.

Make a suggestion then...

Marvel has their eye on him for the character, and if you are making fun of the man's acting skills...well I don't even have to say it do I?

Also, learn how to jump in a thread and make a statement with a backing to it, its a little more respectful than calling someone an stupid.

DiCaprio looks like a little boy man please. I didn't say anything about no WCW wreatlers or anything about his acting skills. Quite throwing words in my mouth.

And he looks like a pretty little boy. He doesn't come off as tough what so ever.

Michael Jai White is built like Cap in the comics. He's not white, but he's an actor in Hollywood that's built like him.

20070704-michael-ja-iwhite-2.jpg

I know somebodies gonna reply to this and say he can't act.

If they ever get Falcon in a movie he should be considered for it.

And he looks like a pretty little boy. He doesn't come off as tough what so ever.

Captain America is supposed to have a body which is the physical peak of humanity.

That doesn't fit DiCaprio at all. He has the acting talent to make it work, though.

Someone like Brad Pitt or Karl Urban could do both. That's the type of actor Marvel needs for Cap IMO.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"