• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

First Avenger Why does hydra look futuristic?

Presumably he made his vault on Earth a long time ago when humans were still primitive, probably early on in Viking times, and didn't think we'd ever be able to breach whatever defences the Vault has.

And keeping it on Earth has an obvious benefit as long as his enemies either don't know it's here or lack the means to get here (probably the latter): If it's in Asgard it could be seized by invaders like the Frost Giants, but here it's beyond them.

Gotchya! All really good theories! Thanks!

I'll bet the Cosmic Cube can increase intelligence, too. Make a certain Red Skull into a genius inventor.

Plus, this movie can't afford to be schooled by a single scene in HELLBOY.

It wasn't really a robot Army. There were I think a total of 5 robots against Iron Man and War Machine.

Edit: Why would Loki want to take over Earth when he has Asgard? Besides we don't know for sure if Loki tries that yet or not.

5 robots. I think you need to rewatch that one at least a few dozen. As for Loki, because he can. Plus I really think you missed the point. None of these things happen cause the Heroes stop them.

It looks to be really good so far. The only thing that bothers me is that I'm fearing Marvel will ignore the actual history of the Nazi's being the evil of WWII and will replace it with Hydra. Red Skull is suppose to be a Nazi, Captain America went out to fight Nazi spies on the Homeland, let's hope the reality of the war isn't forgetten and totally replaced with fantasy.

Wasn't it stated in an article posted from a French mag in earlier posts that the cosmic cube opens "portals" to other worlds. Could it's presence on Earth be a method to return to Asgard from Earth?
Hmmmmm...could we have a Skull/Loki alliance in Avengers?

I am not as well up on the theoories as many in here as I was never an avid follower of the the books, but I think the Hydra soliders look cool. :cwink:

I'm not as concerned with futuristic Hydra gear as I am with it just being black. There were too many pure black outfits in GI Joe: Rise of Cobra which made for boring costumes and toys. I wish the Hydra guys were in at least dark green to make them more interesting and in-line with their comic look.

The Hydra technology doesn't look so futuristic that the German army couldn't have created it with more resources and time.

And as others have stated...it's a comic book (movie).

From Wikipedia:

"Technology
HYDRA's level of technology is as highly advanced as that of any on Earth, based in part on technology of the alien Gnobians discovered by Baron von Strucker in 1944. HYDRA uses various advanced experimental vehicles and devices in its activities, and various conventional military vehicles, seacraft, aircraft, pistols and standard concussive force blasters, and conventional communications equipment."

I'm not as concerned with futuristic Hydra gear as I am with it just being black. There were too many pure black outfits in GI Joe: Rise of Cobra which made for boring costumes and toys. I wish the Hydra guys were in at least dark green to make them more interesting and in-line with their comic look.

The Hydra technology doesn't look so futuristic that the German army couldn't have created it with more resources and time.

And as others have stated...it's a comic book (movie).

Well, Schmidt's hydra uniform is green in that one still. So...that's something, heh.

Gnobians. I love Gnobians. wtf are Gnobians? It sounds like something to eat!

Ahh Yes, tasty Gnobians. Delicious fruit you pick from the Gnobian bush.

I think they only look futuristic in a retro way. I mean because it's a period piece it looks like a period piece sci-fi storm trooper. I'm not saying they'd suddenly look modern if they were in modern times, but more that it's a Flash Gordon sort of Sci-fi. I don't know if they're supposed to be futuristic or if it's just that Hydra has some pretty advanced technology because they have evil scientists working on that stuff (as most villains tend to).

It also reminds me of Metal Gear Solid 3 which was based just after the war I think and it was said in interviews that some of the things they used were things that were on the drawing boards at the time, but were never realised. I mean they tried to make flying saucers at one point. More or less. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Avro_Canada_VZ-9_Avrocar

I think they only look futuristic in a retro way. I mean because it's a period piece it looks like a period piece sci-fi storm trooper. I'm not saying they'd suddenly look modern if they were in modern times, but more that it's a Flash Gordon sort of Sci-fi. I don't know if they're supposed to be futuristic or if it's just that Hydra has some pretty advanced technology because they have evil scientists working on that stuff (as most villains tend to).

It also reminds me of Metal Gear Solid 3 which was based just after the war I think and it was said in interviews that some of the things they used were things that were on the drawing boards at the time, but were never realised. I mean they tried to make flying saucers at one point. More or less. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Avro_Canada_VZ-9_Avrocar

I agree with one exception......

What ever that thing can do it doesn't look like a styled weapon of the period.

Dunno. It kinda just looks like a big gun/ray gun to me. Standard fare for evil scientists (or Bond villains) in any period.

Dunno. It kinda just looks like a big gun/ray gun to me. Standard fare for evil scientists (or Bond villains) in any period.

Point is the HYDRA motorcycles look like stylized motorcycles, period appropriate just fancifully detailed. The HYDRA flame throwers are similarly recognizable period weaponry that are stylized, but even going by one of your visual interpretations....what exactly is WWII period accurate about a ray gun?
If Skull and HYDRA posses a "ray" gun that clearly put's their weaponry/tech beyond anything possible (read futuristic) for the period of WWII

Point is the HYDRA motorcycles look like stylized motorcycles, period appropriate just fancifully detailed. The HYDRA flame throwers are similarly recognizable period weaponry that are stylized, but even going by one of your visual interpretations....what exactly is WWII period accurate about a ray gun?
If Skull and HYDRA posses a "ray" gun that clearly put's their weaponry/tech beyond anything possible (read futuristic) for the period of WWII

I did say that bad guys often have advanced technology (read advanced technology :oldrazz:). It doesn't mean it's from the future and I've never seen anyone question why the evil scientists and other bad guys have sci-fi contraptions in the comics.

I did say that bad guys often have advanced technology (read advanced technology :oldrazz:). It doesn't mean it's from the future and I've never seen anyone question why the evil scientists and other bad guys have sci-fi contraptions in the comics.

True, but isn't the cosmic cube the wild card here.

True. I'm just placing my bet on it being Hydra tech rather than stuff stolen from the future though. It might be a good opportunity to have Red Skull transported to the future so Cap can fight him there in a sequel or Avengers sequel (it would be cool to see a Skull cameo in the first one though).

Without having read any spoilers, those Hydra soldiers look like they've got some sort of proto-Stark tech. Combine that with the typical 'secret Nazi tech' angle and I don't mind the look at all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"