Sequels Will X-Men Franchise have to become team based movies to survive?

Iceburgeruk

Civilian
Reaction score
We all know x-men 1-3 were basically wolverine movies. I mean how many lines did collosus have after 2 movies? Team work was never important it was all wolvie with a lil storm and jean and the new superhero (nightcrawler and then angel/beast) of each movie thrown in.

And you can see why they did what they did. When x-men 1 came out there were no other comic book movies otehr than blade.

When x-men 2 came out there was spider-man and hulk but no team movies.

When x-men 3 came out FF & the incredibles had just come out and so apart from the rushed final product, pointless deaths and throwaway characters i think x-men the last stand was damaged a little because the ff and incredibles had their own flaws but in the end felt like team movies while x-men was basically wolverine and his henchmen.

By the time they get done making the wolverine and magneto movies and decide to do another x-men movie there will prob be Justice League, Avengers and Fantastic Four franchise to compete with. And looking at the way marvel and dc are planning those JL and Avengers movies they will prob be as team based if nort more so than FF. I mean they already have superman and batman franchises so why would they make JL about one character it would be ridiculous. Same goes for avengers every one of the classic avengers is getting a movie and/or movie franchise so ther playing field will be equal.

In that enviroment could X-Men survive will Wolvie as the entire center of attention? Fox seems to think that wolvie = the x-men but the x-men comic is the massive seller not wolverine. Wolvie is profitable whne he is a PART of the x-men team. Also with a Wolverine franmchise most likely going what would be the point in having a wolvie center x-men film whne you are already making wolvie solo movies?

To compete hopefully fox and marvel will make x-men 4 more team based so that perhaps we will see a WHOLE fight which isn`t based mainly around what wolvie is up to.

And if they don`t take heed then most likely the x-men movie franchise will not be as successfull as it once was. I mean which would win out for you FF vs the Frightful Four in FF3 OR Wolverine vs omega red and a dozen pointless cameos in x4? Seeing captain america, iron man and thor all fighting in a single fight scene in Avengers or wolverine fighting another of his foes while the x-men mill about in the background in X4? See the greatest heroes of the dc universe; batman, the flash, superman, wonder woman and green lantern protecting the entire planet against a world destroying threat OR see wolverine leading the x-men to battle the sentinels but essentially he takes them all out himself and then mocks the idea of teamwork?

I`m just hoping this will make them consider the future direction of the franchise.

X-Force (new Mutants)
Cannonball, Mirage, Magik, Magma, Sunspot, Wolfsbane, Warlock.

X-Factor
Bishop, Havok, Emma Frost, Madrox, M, Siryn.

Whether a reboot or sequels, I think the movies will still only focus on a handful of characters at a time despite the rest of the team.

It's a challenge - almost impossible - to give depth to every character the fans want to see in an X-Men movie.

Therefore, certain characters fade into the background but have their moments and points of motivation, driving the plot and inciting key points in the story.

In X1, the main characters (and the only developed characters) are Rogue, Wolverine, Xavier and Magneto and possibly Kelly. We get no background on Cyclops, Storm, Toad, Sabretooth, Mystique, Gyrich.

In X2, the main characters are Wolverine, Magneto, Stryker and Jean. The others get character moments, but no more than that. Nightcrawler isn't really a main character, he takes a backseat at several points in the story.

In X3, the main characters are less defined (but are most likely to be Magneto, Xavier, Storm, Jean and Wolverine). The screentime is spread around more, and there are many more secondary and tertiary characters such as Beast and Angel.

It would be virtually impossible (and not really necessary) to include back stories and lots of depth and screentime for many of the minor characters like Jubilee, Juggernaut, Psylocke, Callisto, Quill, Multiple Man, Arclight.

The real question is which core characters should be in an X4. I doubt we are all going to agree - another thread here shows some just don't see the significance of Gambit at all.

Depends on how well those other films are done. As intruiged as I am by the prospects of a JLA and Avengers film, I just don't see it turning out well. The only team comicbook movie that actually worked extremely well was of course The Incredibles.

I would expect a lot of cost and corner cutting with these films, which in the end may add up to a less than stellar rendition of these great characters.

Of course if JLA and Avengers turn out to be incredible comicbook movie fantasy films, then definitely the pressure will be on Fox to at least equal those two franchises....doubt they will though, this is Fox after all. They'll take one look at the production costs and risks then yank the purse strings quick-fast.

I think the future of the X-men films depends more upon the success of the Wolverine film rather than other team films. I think studio execs may see wolverine carrying the X-men and if his own film with less stars and special effects can pull in as much money they may just continue his series.

Also since key characters have been killed off I don't think the introduction of characters like Mr. Sinister or Apocalypse is likely. More stories that are Wolverine driven with X-men support like Omega Red or the Reavers seems likely. A film with Storm and the Shadow King is possible too i suppose, maybe Xaviar encounters him on the astral plane.

Although when the first X-men came out I hated that they focused alot on Wolverine, thats not just whats been wrong with these movies. The movies focus too much on characters that are NOT X-men. In X-men 1 there were only 3 X-men:Cyclops, Storm, and Jean Grey; but the movie puts alot of focus on Wolverine AND Rogue as well as the villians.

In X2 Wolverine still isn't an X-man, neither is Rogue, we see nightcrawler introduced, and two other students playing a bigger role Iceman and Pyro. Magneto and Mystique play their parts again and new vilians stryker, jason, and deathstrike thrown in the mix.

X3 was the chance to see a solid team in action but instead we see the same stuff from old characters, more characters were introduced, characters that should have matured didn't and characters that had been ignored previously were pushed to the side because no one knew what to do with them anymore.

Also in X-men 1 Xavier explains that the X-men is a nickname for alumni of his school and doesn't mention anything about forming a group of mutants and training them to use their powers to fight Terrorist mutants, in hope that one day humanity will accept them. Some people after seeing X2:X-men united probably thought X-men was a underground slang for "mutant" as the villians from the previous film teamed up with some of the heroes
and the actual team was separated the whole movie.

Legion said:
Also in X-men 1 Xavier explains that the X-men is a nickname for alumni of his school and doesn't mention anything about forming a group of mutants and training them to use their powers to fight Terrorist mutants, in hope that one day humanity will accept them.

He doesn't say it in those exact words, but Xavier pretty much recites all of what you said in the very scene from which you're quoting... :huh:

He doesn't say it in those exact words, but Xavier pretty much recites all of what you said in the very scene from which you're quoting... :huh:

Right...he mentions all of that except being trained for combat and field missions which is why Cyclops, Storm, and Jean have trouble fighting just Toad..

Right...he mentions all of that except being trained for combat and field missions which is why Cyclops, Storm, and Jean have trouble fighting just Toad..

I think Xavier says he's trained the X-Men and then goes on to reinforce the purpose of the team by noting that if nobody is equipped to oppose Magneto, humanity's days are numbered. He's basically saying the X-Men are there to keep order and stop mutant terrorists and others like them. I think it would sound weird if Xavier said the equivalent of, "Well... here's the X-Jet, and, by the way, I've trained the X-Men for combat and field missions." I mean, isn't that kind of obvious? Has that ever been something Xavier or any superhero really needs to say?

I think they should make the movies more team based, I remeber a few years back I'd heard a rumor that after the first X1 they were going to focus on 2 X-Men and a villain per film IDK what happened to this concept, but maybe if there are to be future films they should follow something similiar

Despite the distate for X3, for me it was the film that displayed the most teamwork, especially in the fight scenes... I guess each director had their flaws and benefits

if one is doing a "Team" based film then not one team member should be the only focus. I know its had to give each member their spotlight because it's a movie not a television show, but just a glimpse of background is cool...

Conflicts, team-work bakground info. on characters is what makes a team..

In X1 Xavier should've explained how he got Storm,Jean,Scott to come here when he was showing Logan the school, but its a lot that could've been done with this franchise, you know just a nod to the fans, but we got what we got...

I think Xavier says he's trained the X-Men and then goes on to reinforce the purpose of the team by noting that if nobody is equipped to oppose Magneto, humanity's days are numbered. He's basically saying the X-Men are there to keep order and stop mutant terrorists and others like them. I think it would sound weird if Xavier said the equivalent of, "Well... here's the X-Jet, and, by the way, I've trained the X-Men for combat and field missions." I mean, isn't that kind of obvious? Has that ever been something Xavier or any superhero really needs to say?

You're right and I'm wrong. It is implied and it is obvious because most people know that they are watching a superhero movie. I think a scene demonstrating teamwork between Cyclops, Storm, and Jean would have worked better but my expectations much be too high or I've been watching different movies and reading different comics than you.

I do too. I think that montage could have worked just as easily with a scene from a Danger Room session, but something like that probably would have cost half of the first movie's budget.

I don't think they'd have to, but fans would like it a lot more. Any way, an X-Men movie is gonna make loads of money.

The solution to the screen time and multiple character developement argument is as old as the hills and has been used in every story telling medium.

Breakup the cast and story into two segments or stories that intertwine and meet in the end (LOTR, Star Wars films, etc.). Jesus, not even the comicbooks try to cram everyone into a single issue or more. Moreover, it's a common technique often used in the X-men comics themselves.

I hate it when the people that do these films clearly "don't get it". It's so obvious and fustrating that they really don't know the material.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"