Wonder Woman 1984 General Discussion and Speculation - Part 2

This is a strange release strategy. For countries without HBO Max they are going to face a tough decision of missing it or risking their health (and their family’s health).

Bad news to me. There's no open theaters from where I live since March and there's no Hbo MaX as well here. Oh well.

9. Watch Disney move Black Widow to Disney+ now.

I don't believe this as Feige has far more respect for his MCU films than the higher-ups at WarnerMedia do for WW84. HBO Max is desperate as they see people talking about The Boys on Amazon and The Mandalorian on Disney+. They have nothing because they didn't come prepared back in May 2020 and the Snyder Cut is still months away.

Great, I don't have HBO Max and since I'm not in the US I can't even get it on a trial. This is going to be one pirated movie.

I'm in the group that doesn't necessarily like what this is going to do for the WW brand, which was such a surprise overperformer to WB in the first place. I know we'll all no why it might loose money but will the studio accountants care? And does that break the momentum the franchise had.
Yes it breaks momentum but I don’t think any series is going to be spared a loss of momentum. Some people have said here they’re even becoming less invested in the MCU as a result of such a long delay for content, with Endgame providing a neat stepping off point. This is all a big blow for cinema but hopefully things can get back to how they were long term.

We do live in 2 different worlds.

Here in asia pacific, australia specifically, cinemas have been operating pretty much on normal basis, seating wise and other things. Just not as many movies obviously. Japan just has their record making anime in theatres.

So it takes me sometimes to realise things are much worse in most parts on the other continents. To be fair to WB, what would you have them do with the movie? Its not like holding out longer gonna do much good. Black widow more likely than not will take the mulan route coz who are you kidding that cinemas gonna open in May with vaccine starts rolling out in April.

To my international l people, I admit I neglected to think about that. I forgot HBO Max isnt available everywhere yet. Hmm, yeah then that really is inconsiderate of WM to not ensure that theres a safe option for international audiences too.

But again....theres just no good options here my friends, I dont think we should be too hard on the studio for this. We have no idea what 6 months from now will look like and I think from the studio’s perspective theres been so much money spent on this thing already and there are probably numerous merchandise licensing contracts that are probably being breached by the continuous delays of this film. I think they feel their hand has been forced.

Also, I feel strongly that any day now Black Widow is going to be announced for Disney +. Warner Bros isnt the only one in this predicament.

For International audience, they're releasing it on VoD a month after Theatrical release, just like they did for Birds of Prey. In other words, I expect them to make WW84 available on various services like Hulu, Amazon Prime and Netflix. That's my understanding of their announcement anyway.

I'm sick and tired of WB treating International audience like second rate audience. It's international audience that made Aquaman a hit.

For International audience, they're releasing it on VoD a month after Theatrical release, just like they did for Birds of Prey. In other words, I expect them to make WW84 available on various services like Hulu, Amazon Prime and Netflix. That's my understanding of their announcement anyway.

Where did you read that? Breakdown below says PVOD after 61 days
Here's a breakdown:
  • International on 12/16 (theatrical only)
  • U.S. on 12/25
  • First 30 days: Theatrical (Theaters get 55-60%) + HBO MAX
  • Day 31-60: Theatrical only
  • Day 61+: PVOD

Here, in India, theaters are still closed (in most states) and won't be opening anytime soon, we still haven't got Tenet. The last movie I saw was BoP.

I expect the Theaters to open after mass Vaccination drive starts (sometime in April as as per latest estimates), then maybe we will get theatrical release of both Tenet and WW84. It's possible that WB will release it on VoD (and soon on DVD/ Bluray) and skip theatrical release entirely. It's a messy situation

This is incredibly disrespectful towards international audience for sure. Situation here is awful and the cinemas should and hopefully will stay closed. WB is basically saying 'lmao stay home and watch safely in USA and the rest...well roll the dice on your safety'.
Honestly, it sounds like the theatrical release is an after thought at best while the primary goal of this choice isn't even to make the most money they can (if it were, we'd be seeing deals cut with ways to watch at home in other countries) but using it to artifically boost the numbers for a streaming service whose failure they have no one to blame on but themselves. From confusing branding to a lack of any international rollout to not even getting it onto several popular platforms and constantly losing their big ticket movies, it feels like they really tried to rush into it.

It really does bring me down, I was excited to see this in a theater hopefully on the other side of this. I did Tenet in the fall and that was fine enough, but in a mere three months the cases here have quadrupled and I don't really feel safe going. Add to it that, even though we don't have HBO Max here, they're holding back the release untl when the US gets it. The delays never brought down my exctement for the movie, because there was still the idea of seeing it in a reasonable manner. But this kinda sucks the wind out of my sails. I expect to still like it and all, but the absolute fumbling of this in some desperate move to boost a streaming service is just awful. Might as well have just given it to pirating sites directly at this point, WB.

Last edited:
Honestly, it sounds like the theatrical release is an after thought at best while the primary goal of this choice isn't even to make the most money they can (if it were, we'd be seeing deals cut with ways to watch at home in other countries) but using it to artificially boost the numbers for a streaming service whose failure they have no one to blame on but themselves.

giphy.gif

That's too bad. Guess I won't see it unless it's still in theatres in 2022. I'm in the EU, don't stream anyway, and quite frankly these movies lose about half their appeal on a small screen. I'll buy the Blu when it's 5 bucks in like ten years lol. Sure wish they'd change their mind, poor Jenkins.

Well I just hope cinemas are open in December here in the UK, otherwise it seems we won't be watching it.

I will go the cinema to see this if it's open though

Theaters near me are currently open, and hopefully Ill be able to see it on christmas day in the theater. cases are rising pretty quick in my state though.

WB should be striking deals with broadcasters or streaming services for the international audience.

I can't believe they've left the international audience out considering blockbusters make most of their money outside the North American market anyway.

Streaming platforms success shows that people have embraced this model to watch what they want in the comfort of their home and legally.
But in this pandemic context, where theaters are either rightly avoided or closed, does the studio really believe that people will show up or wait their turn to watch a movie knowing that a perfect HD copy of it is already available in the US ?
Without a deal with overseas streaming company and a worldwide release date on it, this movie will flop hard. And it's all on the studio here.

Last edited:
New China TV spot, contains a few new shots. All I have to say it's a travesty that people will see this movie on small screen as it was meant to be seen on big screen, imagine watching The Force Awakens for first time on TV.

New China TV spot, contains a few new shots. All I have to say it's a travesty that people will see this movie on small screen as it was meant to be seen on big screen, imagine watching The Force Awakens for first time on TV.

Imagine watching the No Man's Land scene for the first time on a 50" TV instead of IMAX

This is literally the best looking, visually, upcoming release from WB. Hell, even Dune would be a lesser tragedy if it went to streaming

This is literally the best looking, visually, upcoming release from WB. Hell, even Dune would be a lesser tragedy if it went to streaming
Dune actually makes sense to be released on streaming as I doubt it will make lot of money, it's not going to have mass appeal, Villeneuve's style is not for everyone.

Funny thing is WB messed up movies like Godzilla Vs Kong and Mortal Kombat (both movies are undergoing reshoots) Had they got those, then they could have easily released them instead of WW84 on HBO Max to draw in new subscribers.

(Though I would hate to see GvK on small screen)

Last edited:
Dune actually makes sense to be released on streaming as I doubt it will make lot of money, it's not going to have mass appeal, Villeneuve's style is not for everyone.

muted colors + tiresome script + the bulk of Momoa's scenes is in the trailer lol it would be fun to have Dune franchise but I sincerely doubt they even manage to do part 2

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"