Wonder Woman 1984 General Discussion and Speculation - Part 2

New China TV spot, contains a few new shots. All I have to say it's a travesty that people will see this movie on small screen as it was meant to be seen on big screen, imagine watching The Force Awakens for first time on TV.

Movies like this should never be watched for the first time on a streaming channel honestly. I have a 55 inch Vizio QLED and I'd still much rather watch it in a movie theater. it's just not the same.

muted colors + tiresome script + the bulk of Momoa's scenes is in the trailer lol it would be fun to have Dune franchise but I sincerely doubt they even manage to do part 2

I've read the script and it's very true to the (first half of the) book. As a fan of the book I am very happy. But I think it won't be a satisfying movie for the general audience...at all. It just ends in the middle of the story, i fully expect people to walk out of this scratching their heads.

Last edited:
WB should be striking deals with broadcasters or streaming services for the international audience.

I can't believe they've left the international audience out considering blockbusters make most of their money outside the North American market anyway.

I would bet they do...or at least hope so.

Not sure how many big markets will have cinemas open around Christmas. Right now its only Asia plus some parts of Spain and Australia, I think. UK and Germany plan early December but guess that depends on number of cases. Basically they throw away a 1-Billion movie to increase Max subscribers plus money from China/Japan/South Korea. The rest of the world will probably turn to piracy. Makes zero sense to me.

Yes it breaks momentum but I don’t think any series is going to be spared a loss of momentum. Some people have said here they’re even becoming less invested in the MCU as a result of such a long delay for content, with Endgame providing a neat stepping off point. This is all a big blow for cinema but hopefully things can get back to how they were long term.

That's true. I guess I'm just frustrated because I don't get to see it any time soon, the cinemas are all closed here, and I was looking forward to a triumphant return to the big screen for Diana even if it took a while. Now the best we can hope for is "got a decent number of people to subscribe to HBO Max" even if it left a hole in WB's budget otherwise and that does put what they might do with part three into question. It doesn't deserve to be a sacrificial lamb, even though I know it's mostly terrible luck once they moved it out of this time last year.

You're right about momentum slowing down in general and probably for the MCU as well. Although as a franchise it can certainly survive a disappointment or two whilst their marketing kicks into gear to convince us Eternals is the best thing since GOTG or something.

hbo max doesnt even have a 4k quality.....this deserve the biggest screen and greatest audio possible at launch...for such a big film.

they will never do that to Chris Nolan, he would slap them to oblivion,and force them to buy him another Plane.

Jenkins was very against this going to streaming. There's no way the working relationship between her and studio isn't damaged by this dumbass decision.
Eh... I doubt it. We’re still in a pandemic that’s only getting worse with no end in sight. So I think she understands the reality of the situation and is just thankful the movie will finally seen by people, and it’s still going to be in theaters like she intended. It should be pointed out that the HBO Max thing is just for a month and the movie will mainly be a theatrical release.

Last edited:
Dune actually makes sense to be released on streaming as I doubt it will make lot of money, it's not going to have mass appeal, Villeneuve's style is not for everyone.
100%. See Blade Runner 2049

That's true. I guess I'm just frustrated because I don't get to see it any time soon, the cinemas are all closed here, and I was looking forward to a triumphant return to the big screen for Diana even if it took a while. Now the best we can hope for is "got a decent number of people to subscribe to HBO Max" even if it left a hole in WB's budget otherwise and that does put what they might do with part three into question. It doesn't deserve to be a sacrificial lamb, even though I know it's mostly terrible luck once they moved it out of this time last year.

You're right about momentum slowing down in general and probably for the MCU as well. Although as a franchise it can certainly survive a disappointment or two whilst their marketing kicks into gear to convince us Eternals is the best thing since GOTG or something.
Same here mate. Wonder Woman is one of my favourite comic characters of all, and I’ve also always been obsessed by box office numbers (numbers in general even lol) and talk of them. It’s very disappointing but we’re living in crazy times and I’ll just be happy if most of the people I care about it make it through to the other side of this with their health and take whatever I get on the entertainment front after that. If we get no theatrical version I’ll rewatch whatever version we do get (as long as it’s decent) many times to try and support it.

They are going to eat it and WW3 will make enough money they wont care.

Hopefully. Unless the WB execs feel like using WW 1984 as a scapegoat. Which. . . is not impossible. Yes, its crazy and non-sensical, but so is spending 100M to remake Justice League.

They need all the help they can get to make HBO Max a competitor to Disney+ so hopefully this just helps them. As long as WW can bring in a nice load of subscribers, itll be a win.

Giving Snyder another 70M+ for the Snyder Cut and now putting WW84 on HBO Max

giphy.gif

I thought the same when I heard that they were giving James Gunn money to make "Peace-maker" a prequel to The Suicide Squad. No way that obscure character (played by John Cena) will be marketable, they will be using James Gunn's name to get people interested, a desperate move by HBO Max.

I thought the same when I heard that they were giving James Gunn money to make "Peace-maker" a prequel to The Suicide Squad. No way that obscure character (played by John Cena) will be marketable, they will be using James Gunn's name to get people interested, a desperate move by HBO Max.

They could've just given Jurnee a Black Canary series....but no.

Giving Snyder another 70M+ for the Snyder Cut and now putting WW84 on HBO Max

giphy.gif
TBF JL in it's original form was not released and would still have made the same amount. WW84 is a brand new movie worth possibly 1b, turned into a sacrificial lamb.

Tbh, notwithstanding the decision to release in midst of pandemic, the current plan might have looked OK had they not taken the asinine decision to release the movie on HBO Max for a month.

Why would anyone in US would buy the movie on VoD if they have seen it already for a month ?

Last edited:

Gunn described how easy it was to get the show. :funny:
HBO Exec: James, if you could make a TV show based on someone from TSS, who would it be?
Gunn: SO MANY characters I would love to use
HBO Exec: Choose one
Gunn: Probably Peacemaker
HBO Exec: Okay, here's money, go make something special.
Gunn: Okey-doke

“They’re going to make less money for the greater good of building HBO Max. This is putting the long-term future of the company ahead of profits. [The release is] far less about driving new subscribers as it is getting people to know HBO Max exists. They have people who pay for HBO Max and don’t use it.”

giphy.gif

Reminder: Both China and Japan’s box office have largely returned to what it was before the pandemic, and is thriving.

Didnt WW make majority of her money in the US though? Sure, itll be a nice add to the box office and I hope its a huge hit in those two markets but they didnt add much to the first one if my memory remembers correctly.

But you gonna have to wait for at least another year for the us to be back to semi normal. And that is an optimistic view.

i doubt studios with 2020 movies gonna wait that long without chnaging their mind about streaming.

better cut your loss and move on with new moviea.

Gunn described how easy it was to get the show. :funny:
HBO Exec: James, if you could make a TV show based on someone from TSS, who would it be?
Gunn: SO MANY characters I would love to use
HBO Exec: Choose one
Gunn: Probably Peacemaker
HBO Exec: Okay, here's money, go make something special.
Gunn: Okey-doke

If this is true, then it bodes well. Yes, Peacemaker is a D-list character, but "James Gunn" + "Passion Project Level Effort" equals a pretty good chance of an appealing end product. Plus, I doubt making the show would be *that* expensive.

The issue with the Snyder Cut isn't so much the price per se, but that its money being spent on a project that is almost certainly a terrible idea. The movie as-is bombed in theaters, and the whole reason they changed it in the first place was because they were pretty sure the original vision would have *also* bombed. Yes, there is the "Release the Snyder Cut" cult, but the odds that they amount to any significant number of viewers are terrible. Its effectively a marketing campaign, and a ludicrously expensive one.

Didnt WW make majority of her money in the US though? Sure, itll be a nice add to the box office and I hope its a huge hit in those two markets but they didnt add much to the first one if my memory remembers correctly.
True. Though who knows now? China hasn’t had a big superhero comic book movie since the pandemic, and WW 84 looks to be a fun globe-trotting adventure film similar to Aquaman with a bright color palette. So it looks very different from the first film and may appeal to Chinese audiences more than the first film.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"