• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

Worst superhero movies of all time

Man-Thing is not that bad.
The creature design is terrific and the scenes look like the panels of Gerber's run brought to life. It's unfortunate that they told a Friday the 13th film with Manny, instead of Jason. Still, there are some good moments in the film.

In SM2, he makes no effort to locate Doctor Octopus after their first or second confrontation, giving him the opportunity to rob more banks, kill more people, and do God knows what.
Yes he does and that's very irresponsible, but still a far cry from getting people run over with a plutonium truck because he turned it in their direction.

God bless you! God bless everyone!

The strangest thing about Steel is it being developed by that guy who made the 70s Hulk TV show.
Fantastic Four In Name Only.

And in SM1 he makes no effort to locate the Goblin, giving him more chance to kill and scare people.
That doesn't mean he's not responsible, but he has other matters to take his attention.

Cheers dude ! I suspected it was a Fantastic Four thing, but I'm obviously way behind on acronyms.

Yeah, havent' seen it yet - but based on the clips on youtube, I don't really want to.

to be honest, what I think will kill the superhero movie genre is not the really crap movies, but the sort of average forgettable ones. I kind of put Ant-Man in that class - it's not bad, but forgettable, kind of like the Wolverine movies.

(BTW - I actually liked XMen Last Stand, don't know why, but I enjoyed Xavier's death scene - although I was gutted by how badly they adapted the Dark Phoenix storyline, probably the greatest X-Men storyline of all time).

For some reason, I really enjoy Thor TDW too (well except the Kat Dennings bits).

cheers !

to be honest, what I think will kill the superhero movie genre is not the really crap movies, but the sort of average forgettable ones. I kind of put Ant-Man in that class - it's not bad, but forgettable, kind of like the Wolverine movies.

I'm going to have to completely disagree with that. The box office bears it out. Fantastic Four was a complete disaster in every way. Fox is going to take a bath of maybe $100 million on the film. That's a franchise killing performance. Too many of those and people will stay away from the entire genre.

Cheers dude ! I suspected it was a Fantastic Four thing, but I'm obviously way behind on acronyms.

Yeah, havent' seen it yet - but based on the clips on youtube, I don't really want to.

!

The intricate storytelling of the MCU is going to keep all of their films afloat. Even when the story's frame is redundant (Ant-Man was a tweaked version of the Iron Man film) and the main character is bland like Scott Lang, important shared universe nuggets are still dropped in the film.

I doubt that the reaction to Ant-Man would have been the same prior to 2008, but Marvel Studios has created something like a cinematic shopping mall. The anchors are in place and it's increasing traffic for everything around them.

Had to go by what I've seen. Jonah Hex was like Wild Wild West. Just awful.

Come to think of it, maybe I should have voted for Jonah Hex. It was so bad that it's literally the only CBM that I've turned off watching. Although since Wolverine is my favorite character, Borigins is much more offensive to me.

You're not the only annoyed with these mystifying acronyms.
A fella started thread just for that topic here, the sheer number of them is annoying.

You're not missing anything.
The movie is ok-ish, nothing to really make you say "whoa, that piece of $#%^ deserves an award as the worst picture this year".

The intricate storytelling of the MCU is going to keep all of their films afloat. Even when the story's frame is redundant (Ant-Man was a tweaked version of the Iron Man film) and the main character is bland like Scott Lang, important shared universe nuggets are still dropped in the film.

I doubt that the reaction to Ant-Man would have been the same prior to 2008, but Marvel Studios has created something like a cinematic shopping mall. The anchors are in place and it's increasing traffic for everything around them.

Interesting thought. Although I think the comparison with Iron man is a little unfair to IM - that movie smashed its way into the cinemas when the other great superhero film TDK was dark and gritty and brilliant - IM managed to be funny, and hopeful and brilliant and yet feel authentic.

Ant Man would be like a PG "war machine" movie, you know the guy who got given the suit by somebody else because he just couldn't be bothered anymore. In Iron Man, there's actually a character arc for Tony, his character actually evovles - in Ant Man, he's still the same mildly likeable mug at the end, but has gained some mastery of the suit's shrinking powers, but otherwise is the same.
I thought that Michael Douglas carried that movie more than anyone else, even my home-girl EL wasn't her usual feisty self.

yeah, it was entertaining, but totally forgettable.

In some ways the "nugget dropping" is a bit annoying. At first it was novel, but now it's irritating, because if you don't bother to see one movie, you end up missing a piece of another one.

That's what was great about GOTG, it stood almost entirely alone. Even the post credits scene has nothing to do with the other Marvel films. In fact that gives me an idea for a thread........

Anyway, just IMO !

You're not missing anything.
The movie is ok-ish, nothing to really make you say "whoa, that piece of $#%^ deserves an award as the worst picture this year".

Thanks dude ! I will check it out on DVD. But the clips I saw of Dr Doom made me sad - he was actually worse than Julian McMahon as Dr Doom.

Cheers....off to start a highly controversial thread.

Interesting thought. Although I think the comparison with Iron man is a little unfair to IM - that movie smashed its way into the cinemas when the other great superhero film TDK was dark and gritty and brilliant - IM managed to be funny, and hopeful and brilliant and yet feel authentic.

Ant Man would be like a PG "war machine" movie, you know the guy who got given the suit by somebody else because he just couldn't be bothered anymore. In Iron Man, there's actually a character arc for Tony, his character actually evovles - in Ant Man, he's still the same mildly likeable mug at the end, but has gained some mastery of the suit's shrinking powers, but otherwise is the same.

I thought that Michael Douglas carried that movie more than anyone else, even my home-girl EL wasn't her usual feisty self.

!

The template that Iron Man set was pretty obvious in Ant-Man:

*Man invents powerful tech suit
*There is a crisis of conscience about building weapons
*Former associate has sinister motives and uses the hero's work to create an even more powerful suit.

I'm convinced that this is why Marvel threw Lang into the mix. The studio was afraid that Hank Pym would come off too much like Tony Stark (not to mention be a 3rd scientist in the Avengers), so they went with an "Ex-con trying to prove he's not really bad" character.

Yes he does and that's very irresponsible, but still a far cry from getting people run over with a plutonium truck because he turned it in their direction.

The only difference I see is that the result of ASM Peter's actions would've been immediately disastrous. In SM2, I believe that Peter left Doctor Octopus alone for a few months. A LOT of damage could've been done in that time, as evidenced by New York almost being destroyed at the end of the movie.

Last edited:
The only difference I see is that the result of ASM Peter's actions would've been immediately disastrous. In SM2, I believe that Peter left Doctor Octopus alone for a few months. A LOT of damage could've been done in that time, as evidenced by New York almost being destroyed at the end of the movie.
The difference is that in TASM 2 his actions are directly responsible for deaths and injuries. While in SM 2 it's just irresponsibility and not active killing.

Ultimately the difference is that Raimi's first two films were competent, well written and directed and had a good handle on what story they wanted to tell with Peter and why. Character was king, and the stories centered on him.
The ASM franchise had no idea what they wanted to do with Peter, let alone the entire franchise other than a slew of spin-offs. There's no real comparison.

to be honest, what I think will kill the superhero movie genre is not the really crap movies, but the sort of average forgettable ones. I kind of put Ant-Man in that class - it's not bad, but forgettable, kind of like the Wolverine movies

Ant-man is head and shoulders above any Wolverine movie. Not even gonna touch the ridiculousness of saying films like Ant-man are going to "kill" the genre.

Last edited:
Ant-Man, a C-lister succeeding with flying colors on the mainstream box office, amounts to killing the genre? On what bizarre, nonsensical planet?

Any sane business would mark the success of one of their lesser, negatively publicized products as a mark of a thriving market.

I voted for FFINO, because for some silly reason MOS isn't on that lst

Ant-Man, a C-lister succeeding with flying colors on the mainstream box office, amounts to killing the genre? On what bizarre, nonsensical planet?

Any sane business would mark the success of one of their lesser, negatively publicized products as a mark of a thriving market.

Scott Lang might be a C-lister, but Hank Pym was an original Avenger.

Doesn't really make him any more than a C-lister.
Heck, Iron Man was -and still is- a C-lister in comics.

A C-lister in comics? LOL, no he's not. A character like Typeface is C-list, Iron Man is not on that level.

A C-lister in comics? LOL, no he's not. A character like Typeface is C-list, Iron Man is not on that level.

He was never a C-Lister in the comics. He has been one of the Big Three Avengers since the 60s. His role in the comics has long been more important than his popularity and familiarity with the masses (despite a couple of animated shows).

He's certainly not in the past decade where he has been all over the place and been the main character in major crossovers like Civil War and Secret Invasion.

Doesn't really make him any more than a C-lister.
Heck, Iron Man was -and still is- a C-lister in comics.

Core Avengers aren't C-listers. He's been around for 50 years and translated outside of print numerous times. A character doesn't need to be at Spiderman's level to be iconic.

I think if any character comes after Z, he belongs there.

He was never a C-Lister in the comics. He has been one of the Big Three Avengers since the 60s. His role in the comics has long been more important than his popularity and familiarity with the masses (despite a couple of animated shows).

He's certainly not in the past decade where he has been all over the place and been the main character in major crossovers like Civil War and Secret Invasion.

Core Avengers aren't C-listers. He's been around for 50 years and translated outside of print numerous times. A character doesn't need to be at Spiderman's level to be iconic.
Within the comic universe, he's definitely an A-list.
To readers... ok, maybe Iron Man is higher than a C-list character cause he had 300+ issues in his first series.

I think if any character comes after Z, he belongs there.

That doesn't make sense.

Within the comic universe, he's definitely an A-list.
To readers... ok, maybe Iron Man is higher than a C-list character cause he had 300+ issues in his first series.

In comic universe and to readers he's definitely A-list. There's no maybe.

What's your criteria of A-list?

I feel like that latest Ninja Turtles movie deserves to be on this list. I couldn't even get all the way through it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"