Worst superhero movies of all time

Fair enough. In the end the ranking I posted was my ranking and everyone will have a different ranking as per their history of the characters.

For instance I was reading a thread on another forum about Marvels best story arcs and 90% of the ones mentioned were less than a decade old which I didn't entirely agree with but it's their opinion and there's no definitive answer to ranking stories or characters.

Merry Christmas folks. I'm off to bed as I have my family coming to mine for Xmas dinner and the kids tearing through the wrapping as soon as they wake.

Okay, I just saw FFINO.

I have to say, this is far from the worst superhero movie ever

True, it feels rushed and a bit cobbled together (like it needed another 30 minutes of story or so) .

However, it wasn't that bad at all if.....and this is a big IF....you pretend that
the FF never existed before this film and ignore 50 years or so of
one of the most iconic superhero books Marvel ever put out.

If I didn't know anything about the FF, well this movie would have been
an interesting sci-fi flick. I'd give it at least 65% on RT.

The fact it's got 10% suggests to me that critics are a bunch of fickle mush-heads who don't seem to judge films on their relative merits, but seem to go along with whatever the prevailing opinion seems to be at the time.

Anyway, I would rate this film leaps and bounds above Batman and Robin, Steel , Jonah Hex and Catwoman and it was nowhere near as disappointing as Green Lantern or Superman Returns. In fact I'd say it was far far better than League of Extraordinary Gentlemen.

Not a great film, possibly not a good film, but at least a mediocre film - and certainly not the worst of all time !

Just IMO of course.

So many film adaptations that generate so much heat, opinion wise, in the hothouse environs of the Internet are usually at worst mediocre, never the eyeball incinerating messes message board group think has us believe, and that's true for films I like, dislike or are just indifferent to.

FFINO is more or less fine until halfway through the film where it goes completely off the rails and becomes an entirely different movie. "Mediocre" is an understatement. The whole thing feels like it's held together by duct tape.
Question for you Batmannerism - in another thread I just recently saw you call Superman Returns an "unbearable piece of ****". Do you honestly believe that SR deserves that level of vitriol, yet FFINO deserves a pass? How can you say that given how disjointed and cobbled together it is? You may dislike Superman Returns more, but do you really think FFINO is a better crafted film?

While the first part of F4 wasn't awful, it was still (imo) boring and I didn't feel any energy from the cast or from the story. And then the tacked on ending totally ruins everything that first part of the movie had going for it, which wasn't much.

FFINO is more or less fine until halfway through the film where it goes completely off the rails and becomes an entirely different movie. "Mediocre" is an understatement. The whole thing feels like it's held together by duct tape.
Question for you Batmannerism - in another thread I just recently saw you call Superman Returns an "unbearable piece of ****". Do you honestly believe that SR deserves that level of vitriol, yet FFINO deserves a pass? How can you say that given how disjointed and cobbled together it is? You may dislike Superman Returns more, but do you really think FFINO is a better crafted film?

That is a fair question. To be honest I hate SR on a level that is hard to describe.
I find it hard to be rational about that film, but I'll try.

In terms of better crafted films, maybe SR is more complete, becaise its true FF does morph into a different movie - and really needed about 30 more minutes of story.

However, in terms of a personal reaction I remember watching SR and wanting to jump out of my seat and scream obscenities. If i hadnt been on a date i would have left.

Watching FF I was glad i didnt watch it in the cinema, but was mildly intetested in how it all worked out.

Probably what makes me hate SR so much is the terrible depiction of the main characters, particularly Superman.

FF didnt do the same disservice to the characters, whom I found mildly intetesting - and Dr Doom was an improvement on his last film appearance.

So, is SR a better crafted film ? Its a better crafted and more complete turd. FF is a less complete turd, but one that stinks less.

Just IMO of course.

I voted Green Lantern even tho Mark Strong as Sinestro was awesome.

FFINO was good up until they got their powers, then it seemed like they were just forcing out the typical end-of-the-world climatic battle. Cast is unfortunately wasted, and sequels unlikely to happen now

Green Lantern, Superman 4, Catwoman, Steel, Amazing Spider-Man 2, and Fantastic Four.

That is a fair question. To be honest I hate SR on a level that is hard to describe.
I find it hard to be rational about that film, but I'll try.

In terms of better crafted films, maybe SR is more complete, becaise its true FF does morph into a different movie - and really needed about 30 more minutes of story.

However, in terms of a personal reaction I remember watching SR and wanting to jump out of my seat and scream obscenities. If i hadnt been on a date i would have left.

Watching FF I was glad i didnt watch it in the cinema, but was mildly intetested in how it all worked out.

Probably what makes me hate SR so much is the terrible depiction of the main characters, particularly Superman.

FF didnt do the same disservice to the characters, whom I found mildly intetesting - and Dr Doom was an improvement on his last film appearance.

So, is SR a better crafted film ? Its a better crafted and more complete turd. FF is a less complete turd, but one that stinks less.

Just IMO of course.

I definitely disagree that FFINO did not do the same disservice to the characters. I assure you that it dropped the ball in properly representing any character in nearly every regard, Doom especially. He's one of my favorite villains in all of comics and it's borderline pathetic that they haven't been able to quite get it yet.
However, I feel like were are approaching this question from similar angles. The visceral reaction you describe for Superman Returns doesn't sound too dissimilar from what I experienced with FFINO. I guess when you have a property so close to your heart and you see it mis-represented on screen it makes the whole thing seem that much worse. I still regard Superman Returns to be a good film, but I can understand why it didn't click with so many people.

so im gonna say Batman & Robin. Because of this list, its the only one that really had the proven potential to be a decent movie. Er, i should say, it's teh only one that fell so far below its potential that it was catastrophic.

The first Captain America movie i thought was considered amongst the worst

I only included movies that I felt people would have actually seen and vote for. I feel pretty confident in saying the 1990 Captain America film would not be competive with FFINO.

I definitely disagree that FFINO did not do the same disservice to the characters. I assure you that it dropped the ball in properly representing any character in nearly every regard, Doom especially. He's one of my favorite villains in all of comics and it's borderline pathetic that they haven't been able to quite get it yet.
However, I feel like were are approaching this question from similar angles. The visceral reaction you describe for Superman Returns doesn't sound too dissimilar from what I experienced with FFINO. I guess when you have a property so close to your heart and you see it mis-represented on screen it makes the whole thing seem that much worse. I still regard Superman Returns to be a good film, but I can understand why it didn't click with so many people.

I guess how I approached FF is that I totally forgot that there was an amazing comic called Fantastic Four ( I was, and still am a huge fan of John Byrne's work on the book in the 80's, he really took it places), that it's characters (both heroes and villains) are iconic parts of Marvel's mythology - and they can claim the title of "greatest superhero family" pretty handily.
Anyway, I totally forgot all that and gave the FF film a chance.

I guess I just couldn't do that with Superman Returns - mostly because it wasn't an origin story, but a continuation of the adventures of my all time favourite comic book character - and it left me with a terrible taste in my mouth.

Dude, if you felt as bad about FF as I did about Superman Returns then I feel sorry for you - especially if you paid money to see it on the big screen. I suppose one of the reasons I cut FF some slack is that I saw it on DVD ( it cost me $ 2 ), but if I'd forked out the cash to see it in the cinema, I would feel ripped off.

In all honesty SR is probably a better film, at least it's got a story that sort of makes sense, although it's a ****** story IMO - whereas FF doesn't really make much sense at all.

As for the characters, it didn't do them particularly good service (although I don't feel they fared as badly as Superman did in SR) I thought Reed Richards didn't come off too badly, but Ben Grimm got very little attention, as did Sue. Sadly, Dr Doom has never been done justice in a live action film - I preferred the 2015 version of Doom, which was pretty average, to Julian McMahon which was utterly dreadful.

One day somebody will get Dr Doom right - I mean you wouldn't think it would be too hard to get him wrong, he's the archetypal somewhat tragic, evil-genius, noble-enemy who wears a mask. How hard is that ?

Although having said that Lex Luthor doesn't seem to be much of a challenge ( the animated versions of him have been spot-on) but in the films he's pretty awful.

Ah well. Sooner or later a decent FF film will come along.

Elektra, Ghost rider 2, fantastic 4 (2015), catwoman, steel is double thumbs down

and Spiderman 3 is good, i give score 8 / 10 & i enjoyed it

I only included movies that I felt people would have actually seen and vote for. I feel pretty confident in saying the 1990 Captain America film would not be competive with FFINO.

I reckon it's had as many people here having seen it as Steel, Supergirl & Howard The Duck.

Out of curiosity have you seen it? I thought the scene where soldiers kidnap Scmidt and turn him into Skull was pretty scary when I was a kid, had haunting music

I remember seeing the 1990 Cap movie when I was a kid and liking it. I knew almost nothing about Captain America at the time though. I tried watching it years later and I could see then how terrible it was.

Those were direct to video though some even that far. So I usually don't include the original Cap, FF or Punisher movie. Same thing with the Adam West Batman movie.

Did Howard the duck get a theatrical release? seems straight-to-video material

I feel like The Phantom deserves to be on this list. I know some people really like it, but I thought it was one of the worst movies I've ever seen, or at least one of the worst superhero movies. Treat Williams' villain is so over-the-top he belongs in a MST3K movie.

I'd say it was worse than Spider-Man 3, any of the Fantastic Four movies, Daredevil, X-Men Origins: Wolverine, Supergirl, etc. Nothing about it is really any good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ohkeelay
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"