X-Men ‘97 X-Men ‘97 News and Discussion Thread (TAG SPOILERS!!!!)

But being more Magneto wouldn't be a reason to keep him? Better than Charles. :o

Also, the best thing about his statement of making the X-Men about the X-Men is that Marvel bought it. That's a very good sign of how Marvel wants to invest in the X-Men in the future.

I know everybody's loving Demayo right now
And I agree the way he structured these stories is fantastic (except ep 4 maybe)

But one thing I gotta say, maybe its a hot take, but the dialogue is still not very good imo
Granted, its equally the voice actors and the writing who would be responsible for that, but outside of a few choice moments (especially in ep5) the dialogue is still a bit cheesy and 90's-kids-cartoon to me.

So for all the "Hire Beau to write the X-Men movie" stuff, I say sure, let him come up with and flesh out the story, and then have somebody else take a pass to punch up the dialogue to film quality

Last edited:
I understand enjoying a creator. But, because they did one thing good, that doesn't mean you should put them in charge. Clone Wars was an amazing cartoon. And I have generally enjoyed the live action stuff. But putting Filoni in charge as chief creative fills me with dread.

Maybe I'm just not that obsessive of a Star Wars fan, but I've loved everythjnh Filoni has touched.

Granted, its equally the voice actors and the writing who would be responsible for that, but outside of a few choice moments (especially in ep5) the dialogue is still a bit cheesy and 90's-kids-cartoon to me.
I mean...it is based on a 90s cartoon. I still think it is noticeable upgrade on the 90s version, even saying that.

My lack of interest in Star Wars new content is a topic for a different area :o

Why the **** is this so good? Best Marvel Disney Plus content since Moon Knight (episode 5).
Never thought I will hear Ace of Base, my first favorite music when I was a child, in a Marvel series.

My main issue is the animation, so I hope they improve it for X-Men '98, and make it look on par with the late 90s Disney animated films like Mulan and Tarzan.

And speaking of animation,this just reminded me of when I was taking animation classes during the late 2000s.

Response to latest episode:

😭 what just happened 😭

Great way to start day just prior to seeing Civil War (sarcastic). Saddest animated episode I’ve ever seen.

Adding: I think this episode might be especially triggering for minorities since throughout I just kept remembering “people want to get rid of us for not being what they deem “normal”.” Ie. pulse, etc.

Last edited:
If this level of quality can be maintained, I'm actually not seeing the need for a live action version of this anymore. Like I'm good where we are now. Just an amazing episode through and through.

Didn't see this posted but apologies if it already has been.

And for those who cant read it cause of the paywall, text below
"While everyone is raving about Shogun, the current best show on TV, I would argue that X-Men 97 is making a pretty strong case for itself.
What could have been a throwaway nostalgia play without much substance to it, capitalizing on ‘90s kids reliving their youth, has somehow become one of the most gripping things on the air right now, and as of the absolutely stunning episode 5 last night, I am willing to say that X-Men 97 may be one of the best Marvel projects…ever. In the MCU, before that. All of them.
We’re going to have to get into spoiler territory here, so don’t read on unless you’ve seen episode 5. Or if you haven’t started X-Men 97, fix that. To answer your next question, no, you definitely do not need to have seen the original animated series to jump on board with this.

Episode 5, Remember It, is one of the most haunting, thrilling pieces of superhero content I’ve ever seen onscreen. The entire 30 minutes is jam packed with compelling characters arcs culminating in a stunning finale that almost brought me to tears. X-Men 97! Making people cry! How?

Even though it’s the finale that will get all the attention, I loved the Cyclops/Jean/Logan bits, where Cyclops flips out during a TV interview, saying that humans don’t deserve what mutants have sacrificed for them. Jean kisses Logan. Scott mentally(?) kisses Madelyne Pryor, who he still appears to be in love with despite being a clone, in part because well, she’s the mother of his child.

Speaking of his child, Cable shows up to warn everyone about a pending attack on Genosha which happens about ten seconds later. A giant “Godzilla” Sentinel shows up and starts murdering well, everyone. Every mutant it sees. Genosha, celebrating its new inclusion into the UN, is absolutely decimated.

This results in an incredible Magneto/Rogue/Gambit sequence, building on the love triangle aspect from earlier in the episode. Magneto shields a bunch of mutants he previously promised to protect, and seemingly dies from a Sentinel blast. Then, Rogue, in a blind rage, attempts to take it down by herself, but is knocked out of the way by Gambit, who then goes after the thing himself. He ends up skewered, but manages to energize the entire thing, blowing it up, along with himself. Gambit dies saving Genosha almost singlehandedly, saving Rogue and countless others in the process. I am not doing the scene justice with this description, but if you’ve seen it, you know. “Remember it.”

I am less convinced that Magneto is actually dead, as unlike Gambit, we don’t see his body, and the “Omega-level threat eliminated” could be him masking their detection or maybe it was one of the other mutants.
But yeah, what an episode. This is easily the best Marvel project since Endgame, and this specific Gambit moment reminded me of the epic Loki finale. It may have been better. I can’t believe how good this series is".

I think the animation is stellar.
I think the thing that some people don't get is that the animation doesn't look this way because they are cutting corners, have a low budget, or inexperienced animators. They are picking a specific style they want to use for this show and honestly I think it works.

It's not going to improve because it doesn't need to. Love it or hate it (and honestly can't see how someone can hate it but to each their own), this is the animation style for the show.

I can’t think of a time where an episode shocked and saddened me to the point of feeling a need to watch a previously lighter episode. I mean, I was on a high feeling like this at the start…

And then looking back to what just happened, you just have to pause and be like, “Damn, man.”

Haven’t been following the development of this show much, so I can’t speak on what’s happened with TPTB. But, I do appreciate that it feels like an ensemble where characters outside of Wolverine get a chance to shine for audiences (new and old). Also how life can be much like how the latest episode played out with its ups and downs that can be gradual or just out of nowhere due to factors beyond our control.

Im wondering if they should have just done Lifedeath back-to-back.

I worry people are going to be understandable letdown by not picking up where we left off.

I really hope its another banger to maintain momentum.

I'm wondering if they should have just done Lifedeath back-to-back.

I worry people are going to be understandable letdown by not picking up where we left off.

I really hope its another banger to maintain momentum.
Funny enough, I was worried that not going right into Lifedeath 2 would be a letdown, and then BOOM, this episode hit. I think we've earned the reprieve.

I'm quite surprised by the reaction of X-Men '97 being "dark". Maybe people just eXpected a Marvel cartoon series to be light and comfort TV. But we are in 2024. There has been so many deep/dark/thought provoking, animated series since the 90s. In the anime world, there are so many eXamples.

And this also I how feel about its animation, there are simply a ton of animated shows with much better looking animation/drawing/style than this, especially if you really dig deep. Every time I watch a clip of this on YouTube, I always notice how the animation is so subpar, which always make me wonder if only they gave this more budget. I'm not asking for top notch 3D animation but just imagining that would be wild if it happens.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
joelschmole
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"