X3's Musical Score: Forum Discussion (merged 2)

StormX said:
Simply put, the score was not memorable like the second film

It really had no purpose.

Brett should have hired Danny Elfman or Lalo Schffrin.

Catman , isnt this your 1012731982739172397 topic you created? Why not make one and express all your concerns!?

The score sucked! It didn't give me goosbumps like john did in X2 and the score In x1 was also amazing

John Williams if you really want an epic score.

Imagine that ... wow

The score was GOOD! It wasn't bad and it surely didn't suck.

*xmenfan* said:
The score sucked! It didn't give me goosbumps like john did in X2 and the score In x1 was also amazing

I wasn't too crazy about the score in part 1, but I agree with what you said about X2.

The score was not horrible, but much worse than the first two. The opening music was abysmal. I did like the "Phoenix" theme. The most important flaw in the score was the music at pivotal moments where some of the major mutants (besides Phoenix) are using their powers. The music that went along with the Golden Gate Bridge scene just failed to convey the awe-inspiring nature of what was happening.

I would compare the score of this film to Spider-Man. Not bad but not Memorabel. The X-men:Animated series opening themehad a more memorable score than this movie. I wondered why they didn't use a variation of this time.
Check this link for theX-men:AS theme.
This one for the japanese version.

the score was just off, too overwhelming where it shouldn't have been. and not moving enough when it should've been. james newton howard is still the best.

Yeah Kamen's score in X1 was not great, obviously Ottman and Singer have a better understanding of what they want from eachother

X2 truly benefitted from the strong score.

thev01 said:
I would compare the score of this film to Spider-Man. Not bad but not Memorabel. The X-men:Animated series opening themehad a more memorable score than this movie. I wondered why they didn't use a variation of this time.
Check this link for theX-men:AS theme.
This one for the japanese version.

Wasn't the X-Men cartoons score written by the guy who did Power Rangers. Not Saban but the other dude? Let's hire him next time. lol.

Catman said:
They should have kept John Ottman (or however you spell his last name) because this new guy wasn't so good. It wasn't bad, but it wasn't as good what Ottman did with X2.

Aside from the choir, it wasn't bad. Although, it could have used a few more references to the Kamen score. Ottoman did a wonderful job at mixing his new stuff with Kamen's hero theme.

I thought the Phoenix theme was sad and powerful at the same time. It was a really gorgeous piece of music.

Except for the "tragic Pheonix" theme which was pretty damn good, the score was horrible. Overwrought and way too cookie-cutter. Sounded like the music for a sentimental kids flick at times. Reminded me of Fantastic Four's score.

I actually thought the score was one of the better parts of the film.

The score sucked - it was corny and over-the-top. I actually got pissed off when Angel broke through the glass and flew away, and the score tried to turn it into an epic/triumphant moment. Subtlety would have served that scene well.

The other cue that pissed me off was the fight scene at Jean's house where Chuck died. Again, too over-the-top. I felt like it was almost condescending. Yeah we get it buddy, it's a big scene. We're not six years old.

It seemed to go hand in hand with Ratner's over the top directing style. I wonder if the cheesieness of the score is actually Ratner's fault. I can imagine him listening to some temp tracks and demanding "more more more!"

Catman said:
They should have kept John Ottman (or however you spell his last name) because this new guy wasn't so good. It wasn't bad, but it wasn't as good what Ottman did with X2.
I agree the score was by far the weakest part of the film.

Alright, I have the X3 OST. And not all songs are bad. I love nr. 14 Dark Phoenix's Tragedy (when Xavier gets killed) and nr. 27 The Last Stand (music from the credits, after some time there's a beat rolling in which I love). I havent listened to them all yet though...

I think overall, this score isnt the best..

I didn't like the opening score in this one nearly as much as those of the previous two.

the score, while not as memorable as ottmans was still excellent and imo it is better qaulity then ottmans.

While Ottman's score wasn't bad...I don't understand all the praise it gets. X1's score was more memorable and X3's score was great as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"