Justice League Zack Snyder’s Justice League - Rotten Tomatoes/Critical Reception Thread

Detective Conan

Avenger
Reaction score
I must admit: maybe it’s a bit pointless to create a thread that centers around the discussion of a movie’s reviews that will almost certainly be panned by critics, but the movie does have a RT page as it’s being treated like a different movie from the theatrical cut, so in the interest of maybe cleaning up the main thread discussion when the first waves of reactions/reviews inevitably hit I thought I’d make one anyway. Please discuss the critics reactions and the movie’s potential rotten tomatoes score in this thread. I know it’s basically preordained that this movie will be critically maligned, but I think it’ll be interesting to discuss whether this will get reviewed better than the theatrical cut or not at the very least.

Ev-K_xxVgAQzwwd

Will this be better received than the theatrical cut or worse? Can’t wait to find out!

Last edited:
Less than 30% and 30% to 40% are the safe bets but I'll be bold and say 50% to 60%.

30's. They will say its long, bloated, overly stylistic and bombastic. I expect the word "mess" to be thrown around once again. Some critics will say that even though Whedon's cut was messy at least it was "fun" and "colorful" while this is needlessly dark and violent.

However I predict a select few critics will praise it for being more coherent, cohesive and narratively satisfying than Whedon's cut and paste job.

Since the note on BvS, I've never gone back on this rotten site.

30's. They will say its long, bloated, overly stylistic and bombastic. I expect the word "mess" to be thrown around once again. Some critics will say that even though Whedon's cut was messy at least it was "fun" and "colorful" while this is needlessly dark and violent.

However I predict a select few critics will praise it for being more coherent, cohesive and narratively satisfying than Whedon's cut and paste job.

The film's length will absolutely be brought up in every review.

Not going to try and predict a score but I’m guessing the consensus will end up being something like better made than the theatrical cut with higher stakes & greater world building, but drags due to combination of length & tone and theatrical is more enjoyable despite being a worse made movie if that makes sense.

Anyone know when the review embargo ends for this?

also, I’m gonna say it gets a 12% critic score and somewhere around 60-70% for audience

Yeah I feel like a good portion of critics already have their minds made up regardless. Some have probably written their reviews months ago.

From what you saw, as compared to what you would score BvS and MOS, where could you see your personal rating? I know you didn't like BvS, not sure what your feelings on MOS were, but just curious if you think this is just "more of the same", both good or bad depending on how one already feels about Snyder's DC movies.

From what you saw, as compared to what you would score BvS and MOS, where could you see your personal rating? I know you didn't like BvS, not sure what your feelings on MOS were, but just curious if you think this is just "more of the same", both good or bad depending on how one already feels about Snyder's DC movies.
Don’t wanna say too much outside of the spoiler thread, but I liked MOS a lot more in comparison to BvS. From what I was able to see, this was closer to MOS in tone, quite a bit of levity in scenes like Barry’s and the stuff between Bruce/Alfred.

I only saw a little less than the first two hours, but it seemed solid enough. I’ve heard that most of the problems come in the second half, especially with whatever recent knightmare stuff was filmed. The first two hours of the movie do a solid enough job of setting the stage for what is to come.

Critics Choice Awards

It's at a 70/100 as of right now, I'm guessing around 40-60% on RT

Here are some recent CC scores to RT%:

WW84 - 71/100, 59%
Coming 2 America - 68/100, 52%
The Little Things - 73/100, 47%

Compared to Zack's most recent films:

BvS - 62/100, 28%
MOS - 77/100, 56%
Watchmen - 75/100, 65%

You just know critics are chomping at the bit to blast any flaw, any slip up they can.

While I do believe Zack's films aren't perfect, and I have mixed feelings on BvS, there is this strange obsession among certain critic circles regarding him.
Any flaw that may be present in his movies is ignored in others, and often amped up to absurd degrees.

Certain stock arguments against his films are taken as gospel, even if blatantly untrue. For example, Man of Steel.
  • Superman destroyed Metropolis
  • He doesn't care about saving lives
  • He doesn't smile
  • It's joyless, grimdark, no humanity
  • There's no color
Every single one of these often-touted criticisms of Man of Steel, which I've seen time and again, are wrong.

In the case of Justice League, it's been an uphill battle with a good chunk of the media as they were adamant for years the Snyder Cut either didn't exist or would never exist, before then moving the goalposts to "it's the same movie but longer", before then settling on "it'll still be bad, maybe worse".

There's just no winning with these people. Certain outlets and critics have made it their mission to act like Zack Snyder's the worst thing to happen to cinema in recent memory, and I have little hope they'll change their minds regarding Justice League.

Even if it turns out better than Whedon's film. It can be more tonally consistent, feature better action and effects and music, feature the actors giving a more committed performance, lack the creepy CGI mustache removal, etc.

It'll still probably get lower rating than JL 2017, because it's "bloated". Because it's "too dark and violent". Snyder's attempt at telling a dramatic, human story will be taken as "pretentious".

But I don't care anymore. I enjoyed Man of Steel, and while BvS is a mixed bag I appreciate what Snyder was trying to do, and I've seen enough of this Justice League to know I'll probably enjoy it.

And that's all that matters.

You just know critics are chomping at the bit to blast any flaw, any slip up they can.

While I do believe Zack's films aren't perfect, and I have mixed feelings on BvS, there is this strange obsession among certain critic circles regarding him.
Any flaw that may be present in his movies is ignored in others, and often amped up to absurd degrees.

Certain stock arguments against his films are taken as gospel, even if blatantly untrue. For example, Man of Steel.
  • Superman destroyed Metropolis
  • He doesn't care about saving lives
  • He doesn't smile
  • It's joyless, grimdark, no humanity
  • There's no color
Every single one of these often-touted criticisms of Man of Steel, which I've seen time and again, are wrong.

In the case of Justice League, it's been an uphill battle with a good chunk of the media as they were adamant for years the Snyder Cut either didn't exist or would never exist, before then moving the goalposts to "it's the same movie but longer", before then settling on "it'll still be bad, maybe worse".

There's just no winning with these people. Certain outlets and critics have made it their mission to act like Zack Snyder's the worst thing to happen to cinema in recent memory, and I have little hope they'll change their minds regarding Justice League.

Even if it turns out better than Whedon's film. It can be more tonally consistent, feature better action and effects and music, feature the actors giving a more committed performance, lack the creepy CGI mustache removal, etc.

It'll still probably get lower rating than JL 2017, because it's "bloated". Because it's "too dark and violent". Snyder's attempt at telling a dramatic, human story will be taken as "pretentious".

But I don't care anymore. I enjoyed Man of Steel, and while BvS is a mixed bag I appreciate what Snyder was trying to do, and I've seen enough of this Justice League to know I'll probably enjoy it.

And that's all that matters.
The man of steel hate is absurd.

I don’t get the Man of Steel hate either

It’s a solid movie all around and my favorite Superman movie. Biggest issues for me was the dialogue in some parts of the movie, but not enough to warrant the low scores it got from critics

Obviously its going to get a rotten rating.

Critics are also gonna shred it with that ridiculous runtime.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"