2010 NFL Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was a bit surprised, now I guess Tuck will have to lead that Defense.

The Giants released middle linebacker Antonio Pierce on Thursday, jettisoning a player who helped them win a Super Bowl three seasons ago but who came to symbolize the defense’s downfall last season.

Pierce, who signed as a free agent in 2005 from the Washington Redskins, was the heart of a defense that helped the team win Super Bowl XLII, but his production diminished in 2008 and 2009. His 2009 season ended when he was placed on injured reserve on Nov. 30 with a bulging disk in his neck. He had a year remaining on his contract.

“A. P. came right in and took the bull by the horns from Day 1 and was very instrumental in helping the New York Giants win a lot of games and accomplishing a lot of our goals during his time here,” Giants General Manager Jerry Reese said in a statement. “He has been an outstanding Giant, and we wish him nothing but the best for his family and future.”
Pierce was the team’s defensive captain and led the team in tackles in three of his five seasons with the Giants.

“He demonstrated great leadership,” Coach Tom Coughlin said in a statement. “He has been an outstanding football player. Think of the screen play against Green Bay in the N.F.C. championship game and the tremendous play that he made. Had he not made that play, who knows where that ball would have gone.”

Pierce said in a statement released by the Giants that he had only good feelings about his time with the team and that his role as a leader was important to him.

“I wanted to be a guy who always led by example, a guy you could count on every day,” Pierce said. “You never had to worry if A. P. was going to be at practice or if he was going to show up for the game. I was going to be there.”

Pierce, 31, was embroiled for a time in the legal case of Plaxico Burress. Pierce was with Burress at the Latin Quarter nightclub in Manhattan late in the 2008 season when Burress’s loaded handgun discharged, striking him in the leg. Pierce testified before a grand jury that indicted Burress because he drove Burress to a hospital after the shooting and took Burress’s gun back to New Jersey later that night. The grand jury decided against indicting Pierce. Burress is serving a two-year prison term.

Pierce returned to the Giants, but although he remained a locker room leader, his play never reached his previous level. Last season, the Giants were 13th in the league in total defense. They gave up 38 or more points in three of their last four games — with Pierce on injured reserve — and finished the season vowing to improve and get younger on defense. The team’s defensive coordinator, Bill Sheridan, was dismissed.

I don't like it, but Pierce is getting older and its time to start remolding that defense

I hope they pick up McClain or Thomas in the draft and build up that defense. :up:

I don't care who wins the AFC championship next season, just as long as it's not the Steelers, Patriots or Colts. Let's get some new blood from the AFC in the Super Bowl.

Pats got da Supa Bowh in da mutha****n bag. Tom wont be rusty any more, Randy shoulder all fixed so he can fly pain-free...Wes will be likely be rusty, but Edleman, B-Tate, and hopefully wr can help...hopefully Bill Ob fixes his play calling to make it Randy-first, and nto Wes/Julian-first.

If all that happens, we be good to go yo.

an offense featuring Michael Vick, Steven Jackson, Jerious Norwood, Donnie Avery and Dez Bryant

Ooooo...that would be pretty.

Well, to be fair..when you can "throw it to Moss", I guess anything is possible.

If all that happens, we be good to go

..I don't think Bill.i.Cheat has any staff left from the last SB win does he? Y'all most likely wont even win the division.

Last edited by a moderator:
Pretty mch, yeah. Aint (ever been) noone better.

except for Jerry Rice...and he has those Super Bowl rings as well

Randy has no rings, and if he ends his career with no rings the discussion changes dramatically

Would be ironic if 2007 was the closest he'd ever get.

Not sure...outside of the NBA, the only other sport that places such a big weight on championships is the NFL

Well with football it's understandable because it's the least amount of games.

Super Bowl rings are irrelevant in discussing individuals unless its A) a QB, & B) A large # (say, Montanas 4 rings) to a small number (say Marinos 0).

If one wants to say Jerry Rice is a better wide receiver than Randy Moss, super bowl rings are pointless evidence. Rice was always on much better teams. One could also point that Randy has been the focal point of far and away the 2 greatest offenses in NFL history, perhaps if he had had a 49ers esque defense in either season, he would not be ringless.

That said, the #s through 11 years in their carreers are similar yet Randy did with (insert qb here) prrior to 2007...while Jerry always caught balls from Joe Montana and Steve Young. Had Randy had a qb of such accuracy from 1998-2010, he'd have damn near 200 touchdowns by now.

Besides Jerry cannot do this:

wvutd2.gif

or this:

11_6_00skying_over_sharper_2q.jpg

or this...

10_1_00first_quarter_cal.jpg

^ those are sme sick cleats

9_20_98leap_wb.jpg

see what I mean? The #s are similar, the tape isn't. When dicussing who is the better wr, Jerry Rice or Randy Moss, it's fairly obvious that Moss was the better, more talented individual ofthe 2.

people remember championships a lot more than numbers

why do you think Cris Carter isn't in the Hall?? I guarantee if he had at least one ring, he'd be in the HOF already

why do you think Cris Carter isn't in the Hall??

I dont disagree. Carter was a FAR superior wr to Michael Irvin, who is in the hof but Carter's not.

Moss is different though. Moss makes up for no rings by being THE guy on the 2 greatest offenses of all time, no judge could possibly ask for more. Moss doesnt player defense.

I dont disagree. Carter was a FAR superior wr to Michael Irvin, who is in the hof but Carter's not.

Moss is different though. Moss makes up for no rings by being THE guy on the 2 greatest offenses of all time, no judge could possibly ask for more. Moss doesnt player defense.

Yeah THE guy on 2 teams that didn't win a Super Bowl.

Moss only plays half the game. That is like faulting the DH in baseball for his teams loss, which was actually caused on a run scored during an error.

Moss had nothing to do with Brady getting sacked endlessly, or the d imploding in the final seconds. Hell, Randy even burnt the Giants d when they were in hail mary mode for christ sake...he couldnt have done anything else. But its an eleven man spot.

Their just jealous Randy is not on their team :o

I can't contain the excitement. Hold me back.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Holopaxume
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"