• We experienced a brief downtime due to a Xenforo server configuration update. This was an attempt to limit bot traffic. They have rolled back and the site is now operating normally. Apologies for the inconvinience.

81st Annual Academy Awards

I would have picked the interrogation scene. He was fantastic in that.

The reason I wouldn't have picked that or the interrogation scene is because I feel other characters talk too much during those bits. While the first scars scene, attention is completely on the Joker. It doesn't sway to Batman or the mob for even a second. It is all Joker. That is why I feel it was the best choice.

The interrogation scene shows the Joker/Batman relationship with him saying "You complete me". I thought Ledger was great doing that and really showed off his acting chops. Batman talks pretty minimally there too.

The interrogation scene shows the Joker/Batman relationship with him saying "You complete me". I thought Ledger was great doing that and really showed off his acting chops. Batman talks pretty minimally there too.

The interrogation scene is better, and Ledger is phenominal in it. But, I think that scene you need to see all of it to appreciate it fully. While that one bit of the scars scene is a short bit, it is great, and is a small showcase of how great he was. You don't need to see the whole scene. Just that one monologue is fine.

Best part: Hugh Jackman's hosting. Easily the best. His line in his Barbara Walters interview saying "Little more show, little less business" held up. Also the "montages" were a better especially for comedy that used Pineapple Express cast to convey the flicks and the musical "montage" which worked much better as a medley.

Worst part: The acting award presentations. Little too much ego-stroking.

Best part: Hugh Jackman's hosting. Easily the best. His line in his Barbara Walters interview saying "Little more show, little less business" held up. Also the "montages" were a better especially for comedy that used Pineapple Express cast to convey the flicks and the musical "montage" which worked much better as a medley.

Worst part: The acting award presentations. Little too much ego-stroking.

I agree. And some of those presenters (like Adrian Brody) really have no idea of the actor he was introducing, and he confessed that he actually used Google for research.

The awards were great. Not boring and much better than ever. I loved Jackman as host, and didn't mind the dance number (which I usually can't stand, but this worked) I was relieved to see the dpearture of the damn ten minute monologue of comedians talking their **** about the world's problems. Funny? Yes. But ladi freaking da how many times have we seen that?

The Slumdog number was excellent, all the dance numbers were, (apart from Efron and Hudgens who ruined it) Beyonce looked FINE in that red dress. Jackman was funny and pleasent but didn't swell on what the other hosts did which was good.

Loved the new look of the place, the catagories and the actors presenting them with the previous winners, the hilarious Pineapple Express short from Apatow, (I truly think Franco has grown to be a excellent actor, and to think he was blasted for playing Harry in SM1)

Oh, and did anyone seriously think the honoring action films segment was so freaking awesome? The Hives song went along great with it. I watched it twice.

Ben Stiller was hilarious as mocking Phoenix. Bastards can go to hell for hating that man. He was brilliant there.

I loved the end of the first song from Jackman, "IIIII'MMM WOOOOLVERRRRIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIINNNNNNNNE!!!!!" :woot::up:

Last edited:
I thought Jackman was easily the best host since Billy Crystal and Steve Martin retired from doing it. I liked both musical numbers a lot, especially the second one with Beyoncé.

But apparently Oscar-snobs at a lot of papers critiqued it as subpar and "cheesy." Ass\clowns, though.

I thought Jackman was easily the best host since Billy Crystal and Steve Martin retired from doing it. I liked both musical numbers a lot, especially the second one with Beyoncé.

But apparently Oscar-snobs at a lot of papers critiqued it as subpar and "cheesy." Ass\clowns, though.

I thought he was great...but I saw him on Broadway 5 times, I knew he could sing and dance like that already!

The critics may have griped, but the public seems to have enjoyed it, judging from the online polls and responses to the show I've seen on other message boards. A critic at the LA Times who wrote a particularly snarky review apparently got slammed with hate emails not only from their readers, but one of their columnists wrote a rebuttal.

Even Jon Stewart was having fun with it last night, with Jon Oliver ripping Jon to shreds by comparison. It was hilarious. :up:

Who said it was a bad thing? Who's mind are you reading?
The mind that keeps throwing the term "Oscar-bait" so freely, knowing that it carries a negative connotation. :huh:

I agree. And some of those presenters (like Adrian Brody) really have no idea of the actor he was introducing, and he confessed that he actually used Google for research.
Yeah, the worst part is it all looks so rehearsed. Twice, the presenters screwed up the nominee's name.

For the Best Supporting Actor category, I can't believe they didn't include Nicholson to say Ledger's part. That would have been cool.

Yeah, the worst part is it all looks so rehearsed. Twice, the presenters screwed up the nominee's name.

Indeed. The whole Best Actor presentation was a joke. Kingsley was especially embarassing.

The mind that keeps throwing the term "Oscar-bait" so freely, knowing that it carries a negative connotation. :huh:

Oh bother...:csad:

I said "Oscarbait" once and now twice. Why is it negative? Never said a bad word about it or anything that could be interpreted as negative.

Letters of Iwo Gima was "that word" that doesn't mean I think its bad. I said I was routing for someone else that's all.

I was explaining what the word came from and sites that were saying when Penn took the role...Joblo, LatinoReview, and IGN all brought that up about Penn. Good for Penn, he won. I wasn't downing him for winning, I just wanted Rourke. I cheered for the two of them so what do you know about me complaining. Look, alot of people wanted either Rourke or Penn...that's all I was bringing up but you can over-analyze a post if you want...

I feel they gave Penn the Oscar so he wouldn't throw a hissy fit. He truly believes he's entitled to an Oscar everytime. With that said, I feel Rourke was robbed.

Guess it goes to show that if you play a character with sincere raw emotion you won't get nominated. BUT if you play a corrupt officer or a different kind of conflicted character you'll receive an award.

Edit: I didn't mean any insult with this post.

Last edited by a moderator:
I feel they gave Penn the Oscar so he wouldn't throw a hissy fit. He truly believes he's entitled to an Oscar everytime. With that said, I feel Rourke was robbed.

Guess it goes to show that if you play a character with sincere raw emotion you won't get nominated. BUT if you play a corrupt officer or a different kind of conflicted character you'll receive an award.

The way most feel about Rourke i did about Bill Murray.

He gave a subtle,complex performance in Lost In Translation which so natural it didn't feel like acting.

I don't like the word ''robed'' when art is in question but i feel Penn won two undeserving oscars.Is he probably a better actor than Murray and Rourke?Maybe but he certainly didn't gave a better performance in each respective year....kinda like Ann Hathaway and Kate Winslet this year.

It's getting more and more apparent they award body of work not single performances no mather how good.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't know what surprised me more:

1. Penelope winning...
2. Phillip Seymour Hoffman's name being jumbled. (which was probably just a tongue twist.)
3. Iron Man not winning anything visual effects.
4. Will Smith saying, "Boom goes the dynamite."
5. Michael Sheen not being nominated at all(though I already knew that.)
6. Hugh not plugging Wolverine every six minutes.

I don't know what surprised me more:

1. Penelope winning...
2. Phillip Seymour Hoffman's name being jumbled. (which was probably just a tongue twist.)
3. Iron Man not winning anything visual effects.
4. Will Smith saying, "Boom goes the dynamite."
5. Michael Sheen not being nominated at all(though I already knew that.)
6. Hugh not plugging Wolverine every six minutes.

Why would these surprise you?

Penelope won more awards than anyone in the supporting category,even more than Winslet going head-to-head...when it was announced that Kate will compete for Best Actress it left Penelope as the big favorite.

And Iron Man was by far the smallest contender in the category...at the visual effects guild Button won 4 awards,TDK 3...Iron Man 0.

Button also won the Bafta,so IM was not in competition very much.

Award wise,as a guy who was following the award season since Novemeber,these were the easiest,most predictable Oscars...the only somewhat of a surprise came at the Best Foreign category...everything else was won by the frontrunners.

The awards were great. Not boring and much better than ever. I loved Jackman as host, and didn't mind the dance number (which I usually can't stand, but this worked) I was relieved to see the dpearture of the damn ten minute monologue of comedians talking their **** about the world's problems. Funny? Yes. But ladi freaking da how many times have we seen that?

The Slumdog number was excellent, all the dance numbers were, (apart from Efron and Hudgens who ruined it) Beyonce looked FINE in that red dress. Jackman was funny and pleasent but didn't swell on what the other hosts did which was good.

Loved the new look of the place, the catagories and the actors presenting them with the previous winners, the hilarious Pineapple Express short from Apatow, (I truly think Franco has grown to be a excellent actor, and to think he was blasted for playing Harry in SM1)

Oh, and did anyone seriously think the honoring action films segment was so freaking awesome? The Hives song went along great with it. I watched it twice.

Ben Stiller was hilarious as mocking Phoenix. Bastards can go to hell for hating that man. He was brilliant there.

I loved the end of the first song from Jackman, "IIIII'MMM WOOOOLVERRRRIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIINNNNNNNNE!!!!!" :woot::up:
I loved it too, totally cracked up :hehe:

I wholeheartedly agree with ur post :woot:

Why would these surprise you?

Penelope won more awards than anyone in the supporting category,even more than Winslet going head-to-head...when it was announced that Kate will compete for Best Actress it left Penelope as the big favorite.

And Iron Man was by far the smallest contender in the category...at the visual effects guild Button won 4 awards,TDK 3...Iron Man 0.

Button also won the Bafta,so IM was not in competition very much.

Award wise,as a guy who was following the award season since Novemeber,these were the easiest,most predictable Oscars...the only somewhat of a surprise came at the Best Foreign category...everything else was won by the frontrunners.

Amy Adams and Viola Davis were better suited for Best Supporting Actress and alot of critics have already spoken out about the surprise in her winning.

And Iron Man may have been the smaller movie than Benj and TDK but that in no way should that judge on how the special effects are used in a film. Me being surprised has nothing to do with what the general audience thinks, how large a film is or how its done in other ceremonies.

And when do Oscars hand out trophies just because other award ceremonies did so?

And Oscars don't always go to the "frontrunners"...

I agree with just about all of this.

Other two things I thought were great were, Hugh in his first song/performance mentioned TDK and how it got snubbed.

Will Smith's joke about action movies, how they have...what is that called?...Fans!:hehe:

Will Smith's joke about action movies, how they have...what is that called?...Fans!:hehe:
This is the same man who recently tried for an Oscar with that abysmal Seven Pounds.

I thought he was great...but I saw him on Broadway 5 times, I knew he could sing and dance like that already!

The critics may have griped, but the public seems to have enjoyed it, judging from the online polls and responses to the show I've seen on other message boards. A critic at the LA Times who wrote a particularly snarky review apparently got slammed with hate emails not only from their readers, but one of their columnists wrote a rebuttal.

Even Jon Stewart was having fun with it last night, with Jon Oliver ripping Jon to shreds by comparison. It was hilarious. :up:

Ah yes, the Boy from Oz. He was brilliant in that. I loved when he used the character to host the Tonys. I also saw the video of his version of Curly in Oklahoma in London (Patrick Wilson, Night Owl himself, played the part on Broadway for comic geeks out there!) and he is the best I've seen in the role.

And apparently the good reviews of Jackman are about 1.5 to 1 in favor of. But the snarkiest got AP attention. However, I'm glad to see most liked his hosting job. And I saw Jon Stewart's reaction, it was funny.

I agree with just about all of this.

Other two things I thought were great were, Hugh in his first song/performance mentioned TDK and how it got snubbed.

How come The Dark Knight wasn't nominated?!
How can you call a billion dollars unsophisticated?!
What did I do that wasn't right?
Was it my cape or tights?
Perhaps if I...aged backwards?!!!

:hehe:

This is the same man who recently tried for an Oscar with that abysmal Seven Pounds.

He said he loves action movies. Doesn't mean he can't branch off and try other films.

Most Will Smith movies suck to me so seeing him do something not like Independence Day or I Am Legend is more interesting to me.

I still think his best performance is Baggar Vance and most didn't see it. I'm just not a fan of seeing the same character in a bunch of movies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"