Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. Agents Of SHIELD - S2 Ep 17 'Melinda'

you think maybe Coulson (starting with Fury before him) had identified a lot of the Inhumans and profiled them to see which had the right attitude to try to enlist into the team? They kept this a secret because they were afraid of HYDRA finding out. They didn't know who they could trust. Maybe Coulson has the missing diviners and some Terrigen Crystals? For all we know he could be aware of the Inhumans enclave and is even in support of them?
I have no clue what it is, or even if it's Inhuman related. I just thought it was cool that it had been mentioned before, in a seemingly throw-away line. Typical Whedon economy, there. :yay:

FWIW, my gut feeling is that it's unrelated to Inhumans, but it's hard to tell.

Even though Skye's dad is somewhat of a murderous nut, I actually thought that the dinner scene with him and his family was actually very touching, especially when you see on how Skye was finally getting the proverbial "family meal" that she's wanted for most of her life.

And I definitely loved how they went about doing May's back story. It definitely made her current/present day demeanor a lot more understandable.

So far, I think Ward, May, and Skye have the most interesting "back stories" out of all the characters on this show.

Another great episode here. This show has been pretty much firing on all thrusters lately.

Really heartwarming stuff between Skye and her mom.:waa: Fighting back the tears! Cal-as weird as he is- seems more like just a damaged guy than some evil villain. I really hope Skye gets to have the family happiness she always wanted,but I'm guessing in typical Stan Lee fashion,she won't stay happy for long...

Which brings us to Raina, the likely "thorn in her side". (I couldn't resist.:woot:) We got to find out her powers here. (I guess she sees the future.) I figured Lincoln was attracted to Skye,but I'm not so sure he doesn't have a thing for Raina. Maybe I'm wrong,but it'd be a cool switch.:oldrazz:

Speaking of which, I've been meaning to ask why Raina and Gordon-Noeyes seem to be the only people in the whole place with obvious and -shall we say "challenging" gifts? Everybody else looks as normal as the day is long. Couldn't Marvel afford to slap some blue paint and a putty nose on a few extras for greater effect? Oh, well. It was only a thought.

The bulk of the story was the Cavalry flashbacks. I'm not sure it really lined up to what I had imagined had happened, but I do feel more for May. I remember "First season May" wasn't really that pleasant, but at least now it seems justifiable.

I like that they kept with the mouthful,pre-IM version of their name.:woot: Although,they had Clark's hair very dark,when in the original IM it was fairly light. So much for continuity!:o

Fitz trying to crack the cube in the bathroom was a riot.:hehe: I hope Coulson picks him up soon.

Not sure what to make of "Present day May". I'm guessing she has something up her sleeve. I liked Bobbi's conversation with her on the plane. I oddly found it Palicki's best acting.

Looks like next week is an AOU tie in? That's why no promo? [BLACKOUT] Watching Cobie on Kimmel tonight, she let slip she's doing an episode this season,and I'm guessing her involvement next week is the big surprise. [/BLACKOUT]

Last edited:
In episode 18 and 19, There will be
Dr List from The Winter Soldier, Strucker's right-hand too.

About the futur cameo:
I think it will be later, like 20/21/22.

BTW,it seemed a big deal was made at the end for the number 26. Is there some kind of hidden meaning I didn't get? :huh: Hooray for 26!

I was expecting Clark Gregg to step out at the end and say "Today's episode was brought to you by the number 26." :woot:

How is Fitz supposed to escape from that bathroom?

Well I am a little late, but I just finished this episode on my DVR and I must say I loved it. I was like a lot of people and really didn't care about how May got her nickname, but I care now and feel like it really gave me a deeper understanding on why May acts how she does. When Raina had her moment of "clairvoyance," I couldn't help but smile. I remember how hard she took it when she learned that Garrett had no powers. It's nice to see that she has been rewarded. Although, I am afraid she is going to end up being a real thorn in the group's side. (Yes, I'm that cheesy.)

Fitz was my favorite part of the episode (I love any scene with him.) It seems he has gotten over his speech issues which I like. I hated how my favorite character on the show was basically damaged goods for a lot of season 2, but still managed to do a lot of good.

Skye and her Mom was done well I think. Glad they didn't try and drag it out like most shows would. I really want Skye and Coulson to team back up, but I fear she is starting to fall in love with Afterlife despite her voicing her concerns about it not lasting. I guess we will see how it plays out soon enough.

I'm hoping that we get an awesome AoU tie in, but I'm not really seeing how that could be with how things are going on the show. I know AoU won't have nearly as big as impact on the show as Winter Solider did even with a big tie in. I NEED these next few weeks to go by fast so we all can enjoy what Marvel has in store for us.

BTW, I can't say I ever thought of the day that Marvel on television would embrace the comics this much. Even though they're original characters, that story was taken straight from Son of M.

you think maybe Coulson (starting with Fury before him) had identified a lot of the Inhumans and profiled them to see which had the right attitude to try to enlist into the team? They kept this a secret because they were afraid of HYDRA finding out. They didn't know who they could trust. Maybe Coulson has the missing diviners and some Terrigen Crystals? For all we know he could be aware of the Inhumans enclave and is even in support of them?

Maybe Coulson is one of the Elders.

Maybe we're seeing the formation of SWORD? I dont know. Anyways, I thought the story of how May got the nickname was well done and a believable reason for her demeanor. They did a hell of a job making her look younger I thought. Good make-up work.

Really good episode. Not only did we get some characterisation for May, but we got emotion as well. Finally I can start feeling for May and Skye. Cal shows another side of himself as well.

Nice nod to Rainas powers.

Anyone else think that Skyes mum telling Skye about the girl not being ready or suitable for her powers. That they caused her to go insane. Is a forewarning forr what Coulson is up to. If he and Fury are trying to get some inhumans on the team then it could possibly go very badly. May I think also has reservations. She doesn't want another Bahrain.

Hope they can keep this up. If you need a filler episode use it to explore your characters. Have a monster of the week by all means but tie it in to a bigger story. Have Fitz dad be an alcoholic or something etc... Make them real people. That is why this one was good for me.

One thing I did find off. If they are trying to keep it secret that they are mum and daughter. Why are they having a family dinner and chatting about her birthday infront of another Inhuman? Gordon must know as well. So who are they keeping it secret from? Everyone else? The Royal family?

One thing I did find off. If they are trying to keep it secret that they are mum and daughter. Why are they having a family dinner and chatting about her birthday infront of another Inhuman? Gordon must know as well. So who are they keeping it secret from? Everyone else? The Royal family?

Everyone else I would guess.

The Ethan guy is in it next week and I think he is up to the same sort of stuff that the mother in this episode pulle by staliing crystals

Speaking of which, I've been meaning to ask why Raina and Gordon-Noeyes seem to be the only people in the whole place with obvious and -shall we say "challenging" gifts? Everybody else looks as normal as the day is long. Couldn't Marvel afford to slap some blue paint and a putty nose on a few extras for greater effect? Oh, well. It was only a thought.

I think it was stated by Skye's tour guide that most of the people that they see walking/living on those sacred grounds have yet to actually undergo the whole "Inhuman' transformation, with the number of people that are actually selected being very limited/few.

It's also possible that there may be other grounds/locations where the more advanced/weirder looking inhumans reside at as well.

Yeah, this village they're in seems like a waiting room.

More like a school/interview room. They are prepared to receive the mist but also assessed for their suitability. They are then exposed and helped to adjust to their transformation. Then they leave. Gordon, Lincoln and Skyes mum help them through it.

As said it can take years before being judged worthy.

Even though Skye's dad is somewhat of a murderous nut, I actually thought that the dinner scene with him and his family was actually very touching, especially when you see on how Skye was finally getting the proverbial "family meal" that she's wanted for most of her life.

And I definitely loved how they went about doing May's back story. It definitely made her current/present day demeanor a lot more understandable.

So far, I think Ward, May, and Skye have the most interesting "back stories" out of all the characters on this show.

Sadly, it looks like it all going to come crashing down again.

Probably because they are the only ones they have taken time to look into. We know very little about the others. Coulson we know the most probably. But apart from Tahiti, Avengers, Cellist and his dad fixing cars we know zip.
We still know little about May. We know she was married, her mother is a spook, and we know about Bahrian and how it effected her. But thats about it.
As I said earlier. If we are going to have filler episodes, use them to help build these characters (as they did with this one). Make them unique, make them interesting and mostly make us care.

The way I see it, Lincoln only knew what Raina told him - which was that her dream was of Skye having dinner with her father (she didn't mention 'family'), with daisies and she was happy. When Lincoln walks into the room at the end, he sees Skye with her father, daisies on the table, Skye seemingly happy. Cal is the one doing the talking and telling the stories - Jiaying is just sitting there. I imagine from Lincoln's point of view Jiaying is probably simply supervising the dinner (either to make sure Cal doesn't do something to Skye - if his instability is known by others in the compound - or to help Skye (as Skye's mentor) if something her father says inadvertently 'sets her off').

Anywho, absolutely loved the episode - loved getting the backstory on May and why she's become the way she is. Also loved the tag with Fitz. I can't wait for him to join Coulson and Hunter. Those three together seems like it's going to be a gas :funny:

The Ethan guy is in it next week and I think he is up to the same sort of stuff that the mother in this episode pulle by staliing crystals

Good point! Maybe he sells the secret of the Afterlife's location to HYDRA in exchange of a chance to undergo Terrigenesis.

More like a school/interview room. They are prepared to receive the mist but also assessed for their suitability. They are then exposed and helped to adjust to their transformation. Then they leave. Gordon, Lincoln and Skyes mum help them through it.

As said it can take years before being judged worthy.

Have they said where they go after the transformation? I assume Attilan, but I don't recall them touching the subject.

Probably because they are the only ones they have taken time to look into. We know very little about the others. Coulson we know the most probably. But apart from Tahiti, Avengers, Cellist and his dad fixing cars we know zip.
We still know little about May. We know she was married, her mother is a spook, and we know about Bahrian and how it effected her. But thats about it.

They also probably don't want everyone on the show to have troubled pasts and psychological issues, too much of that and Coulson would be more like the keeper of a nuthouse than the director of a secret agency.

As I said earlier. If we are going to have filler episodes, use them to help build these characters (as they did with this one). Make them unique, make them interesting and mostly make us care.

This. Pretty much.

They also probably don't want everyone on the show to have troubled pasts and psychological issues, too much of that and Coulson would be more like the keeper of a nuthouse than the director of a secret agency.

The thing you realise in life is that everyone has issues. Everyone has a past that has shaped who they are. Some might be more dramatic than others. Doesn't even have to be anything bad. Simmons could have been in love with an astronaut but broke it off to join Shield. Fitz could have designed a computer game when he was 7 or appeared on Star Trek. Just little things to fill the holes. What was their life like gowing up? What motivates them? Why did they join Shield? How did they join were they recruited in university etc...? Where do they live?

The thing you realise in life is that everyone has issues. Everyone has a past that has shaped who they are. Some might be more dramatic than others. Doesn't even have to be anything bad. Simmons could have been in love with an astronaut but broke it off to join Shield. Fitz could have designed a computer game when he was 7 or appeared on Star Trek. Just little things to fill the holes. What was their life like gowing up? What motivates them? Why did they join Shield? How did they join were they recruited in university etc...? Where do they live?

True, but little bits like this that aren't much out of the ordinary are likely better done as occasional mentions rather than build an entire episode devoted to explore them. The exception, of course, is if they provide the necessary lead to an unordinary event that impacts the characters, like how May's happy married life and talk of having children played a heavy role in her difficult decision to kill the gifted girl.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Blacktopolis24
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"